Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: working out: Si or Se?

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the other day I went with Allison to a Bikram yoga class and it practically massacred me physically. Ninety minutes in extreme heat moving between repeated sets of standing poses and floor poses found me unable to put any thoughts together save semi-numbly following the directions to the next, and the next, and the next way to position myself.

Truly, the best workout in memory. Bikram is so physically punishing that it forces you to be meditative. It removes all opportunity for mind-wanderings and tunnels your vision down to the ideal mindset for optimum benefits. I’ll for sure be going back as much as I can, and not only because Allison is way smoking hot and Bikram is literally the only exercise she has done in almost two years.
    This is the kind of bullshit many exercise websites are full of...I honestly don't understand what there is of spiritual in some working out...
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oddly, out of my roommates and I (who are Si-leading and Se-leading in my estimation), I'm the only one that works out regularly. Sometimes my regimen breaks down though. It only seems to work when I go every single day so I can't make excuses, etc. The only physical exercise the two of them seem to get these days are ping pong or occasionally bowling. Then again, there are some subsidiary considerations to bear in mind about why they would be demotivated to work out, but I won't go into that here.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Si approach to training:

Se approach to training:

(no symbolic meaning attached to the gender selection, just the first pics I managed to find )

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*headdesk*

There is a huge difference between using an information element and valuing it. Exercise inherently involves the use of sensing, and predominantly Se, but obviously the motives behind it can be Si or Se or whatever.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possible Si Polr:

LII
    that is what i was getting at. if there is an inescapable appropriation that is required in the act of understanding, this brings into question the validity of socionics in describing what is real, and hence stubborn contradictions that continue to plague me.

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    This is the kind of bullshit many exercise websites are full of...I honestly don't understand what there is of spiritual in some working out...
    Well, to be fair, [hatha] yoga was originally something quite different - it wasn't intended to be "exercise" or "working out" at all, at least in the Western sense of that word (as a purely physical endeavor). The word "yoga" means "discipline" and there are many "paths" - not just the physical positions, but also jnana yoga (yoga of knowledge), bhakti yoga (yoga of devotion), etc. It was originally a sort of "physical meditation" in which your consciousness enters back into the body and opens yourself to spiritual insight. Zazen and other types of formalized meditation work much the same way. The way most yoga is taught in the U.S., though, estranges the physical discipline from the spiritual.

I actually much prefer the social aspect of working out at the gym. Granted, it has to be a nice gym. Mine is huge, spacious, tons of machinery, and various quirks like swimming pools, tracks, and saunas and whatnots. I find it difficult to motivate myself at home, so getting myself to the gym and going through the ritualistic aspects of changing, divesting myself of my street clothes, and being with other people people who are focused on getting a good workout helps me a lot. My motivation is probably more Si than Se. I seriously feel so much better when I'm working off all that excess energy and stress. And also I like to look good. I seem to be in the minority here in that regard, though.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exercise is not something that comes regular to me. I feel mentally exhaused all the time from constantly thinking and not relaxing. That being said my INFj friend and i have been going to the gym for 6 months. He is skinny and wants muscles, i want to get thinner. Without each other going to the gym is impossible, too much effort. The feeling after doing a workout is nothing short of amazing though, and i love hitting the beach with my body looking ever better. The mental benefits i dont notice as much but i like the idea of them.

My friends brother is a fitness instructor ESTp at the gym im at. This guy pushes himself incredibly hard. Like really pushes his muscles. He is also an incredible long distance runner. He ran in our annual city to bay and ran 12k's in under 40 minutes. He knows how to push his body to its limits. My ISTj dad just loves getting out and doing physical things. Kayaking, Golf, Walking and jogging. Arnold Swartzenneger is an ESTj is he not?

So i think there is a correlation between enjoyment/success at the gym and se/si.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by meatburger View Post
    Exercise is not something that comes regular to me. I feel mentally exhaused all the time from constantly thinking and not relaxing. That being said my INFj friend and i have been going to the gym for 6 months. He is skinny and wants muscles, i want to get thinner. Without each other going to the gym is impossible, too much effort. The feeling after doing a workout is nothing short of amazing though, and i love hitting the beach with my body looking ever better. The mental benefits i dont notice as much but i like the idea of them.

My friends brother is a fitness instructor ESTp at the gym im at. This guy pushes himself incredibly hard. Like really pushes his muscles. He is also an incredible long distance runner. He ran in our annual city to bay and ran 12k's in under 40 minutes. He knows how to push his body to its limits. My ISTj dad just loves getting out and doing physical things. Kayaking, Golf, Walking and jogging. Arnold Swartzenneger is an ESTj is he not?

So i think there is a correlation between enjoyment/success at the gym and se/si.
    Hi meatster!

Yeah big Arnie is an ESTj

I've been to gyms before, but personally I don't enjoy them. For me its all about finding something you enjoy, coz that way you'll keep at it. Personally I love being outdoors. If you don't like running or cycling, if there's any hills or mountains near you, you could always go hill walking. You can make a day out of it, its really good exercise and cause your making a day of it its fun as well. Of course I'm speaking as someone in Scotland and I love going walking in the Scottish highlands

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12