Thread: Scrooge in the spirit of Christmas

Default Scrooge in the spirit of Christmas

In the spirit of Christmas (today being Christmas eve).
    I have grown curious of this matter. What Socionics type do you think Scrooge is? I've heard 5w6 or 6w5 for his enneagram type (though I wonder how accurate this is), but what of his socionics type? Delta ST? Gamma NT?
    Classical socionics: (), ILI-Ni
    Dual-type theory: INTp-ENTp

5w6 sp/sx
    MBTI: INTJ

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gamma NT would work, I think. The story is certainly Ni-oriented, and the "lesson" seems to be an Alpha one....hmph.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Gamma NT would work, I think. The story is certainly Ni-oriented, and the "lesson" seems to be an Alpha one....hmph.
    Although the story doubtless appeals to people of different quadras, I would doubt that the original intention was to place one quadra over another (i.e., "moral: be more like Alpha, you Gamma Scrooge, you.")

If Scrooge was Gamma NT, then the moral was probably expressed more as a reinforcement of Fi...i.e., pay more attention to relationships, human-important stuff.

Naturally, that message can be interpreted both through Fi and Fe depending on who's reading.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typical Gamma NT. More likely ENTj? I don't know the story too well.

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Jonathan. I read the Dickens book about once every two years or so, and on this last reading (my first since I've discovered Socionics, actually), I couldn't help but be struck by how subtly Dickens weaves a very comprehensive "ethic" of Christmas. This is a holiday of piety and revelry and creature comforts, but Dickens also makes sure to instill in his character a sense of conviction and compassion by forcing him to face his own personal experiences. Where Fi ends and where Fe begins is just as inscrutable as it is in real life.

I also agree that how Scrooge is concieved affects what emphasis the Ghosts must take in order to successfully move him; the George C. Scott version is probably the most disturbing to me. Scott plays Scrooge as a man fully consumed in his pursuit of wealth - confident, calculating, a man of business. What disturbs me most is that we all know people exactly like his Scrooge in real life. He has a huge Fi-deficit, and indeed the Ghosts in this version are actually quite viscious and ice-cold in bringing Scrooge to his senses.

Compare this with the Alistair Sim version - Sim, I actually think, plays the role as someone who just needs a Fe fix in order to break out of habits of miserdom and emotional constipation that years of isolation and bad moves have precipitated in. The Ghost of Christmas Past and Present, in particular, are a lot "softer" in their approach in this version - more aimed at getting Scrooge to disarm himself and feel the emotion he's been estranged from all along.

The most holistic treatment of the character (and closest to Dickens) I think is actually Patrick Stewert's in his one-man reading on CD. (The film version he was in from 1999 suffers from terrible production values and a pretty lifeless cast.)