Thread: Averse To The Alpha/Beta Atmosphere

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Averse To The Alpha/Beta Atmosphere

I'm trying to work out which one it is. It could be both, it could be neither, but I think it's one.

Basically, it's the whole party atmosphere where people are being loud, getting hammered and are having "a good time". It's where people are dancing to cheesy music and shouting the lyrics drunkenly. It's where people are making pointless small-talk that will be eventually fruitless. I really do not enjoy it at all. It just makes me want to walk away instantly - it's so painfully embarassing and Ezra-repellent. I see the whole atmosphere, and it depresses me. I need to get away.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, that would be beta. And I utterly share your sentiments.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So that shit about Beta group behaviour on Wikisocion is bullshit yeah?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Utter. To be honest somebody should delete it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I met Expat, he said something a long the lines of how the SLE felt like a loner, as did the IEI, and so each could sympathise with the other.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i kinda like to rowdy group atmosphere. but not the drinking etc.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I kinda like the rowdy group atmosphere as well. As well as the drinking. :/ Huh, I wonder if this is even type related? I always just assumed the beta descript. was on point, but, hm....
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always been a loner and have never enjoyed that kind of atmosphere either.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends. Sometimes, I will go out of my way to actually create a loud, euphoric sort of atmosphere at parties or seek it out when going out. Other times, everything about it irritates me. I don't really think it's quadra/type related. If anything, it has more to do with being young, reckless and horny than anything else. I think Socionists might have taken Beta's association with adolescence a bit too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    When I met Expat, he said something a long the lines of how the SLE felt like a loner, as did the IEI, and so each could sympathize with the other.
    This, IME, has proven very true.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Averse To The Alpha/Beta Atmosphere

I'm trying to work out which one it is. It could be both, it could be neither, but I think it's one.

Basically, it's the whole party atmosphere where people are being loud, getting hammered and are having "a good time". It's where people are dancing to cheesy music and shouting the lyrics drunkenly. It's where people are making pointless small-talk that will be eventually fruitless. I really do not enjoy it at all. It just makes me want to walk away instantly - it's so painfully embarassing and Ezra-repellent. I see the whole atmosphere, and it depresses me. I need to get away.
    What are you like when you get drunk?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy

I see what you may be getting at here. (I know you weren't talking to me but....) I get a little chummy when I've had a couple of drinks (okay, one glass of wine actually will do it to me, I'm a lightweight). Definitely giggly and more social than usual.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel the same way

i'm not sure - is this thread suggesting that the description of beta group behaviour on wikisocion is inaccurate and should be changed to the above, or that it currently IS the above and that it should be changed because the betas here don't enjoy that kind of atmosphere?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron

I see what you may be getting at here. (I know you weren't talking to me but....) I get a little chummy when I've had a couple of drinks (okay, one glass of wine actually will do it to me, I'm a lightweight). Definitely giggly and more social than usual.
    That's part of it. Different people act differently when they drink. What he's describing just sounds like a group of drunk people... it's hard to assign a quadra atmosphere to a group of people who are in an altered state of consciousness (though obviously there will still be some atmospheres that certain types/people are more inclined to like or dislike).

I was also wondering if maybe he's more sober than others there. That would make a difference. And some people get really quiet when they drink. Such people would feel out of place at a party as well.
    SEE

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron

That's part of it. Different people act differently when they drink. What he's describing just sounds like a group of drunk people... it's hard to assign a quadra atmosphere to a group of people who are in an altered state of consciousness (though obviously there will still be some atmospheres that certain types/people are more inclined to like or dislike).

I was also wondering if maybe he's more sober than others there. That would make a difference. And some people get really quiet when they drink. Such people would feel out of place at a party as well.
    And what are you like when you are drunk? Hmmm?
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh god
    SEE

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh god
    that bad? just kidding.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generally speaking...

I'm not shy at all. Extremely talkative and more upbeat than usual (still not as bad as many people are sober though).
    SEE

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh god
    So you when you are drunk you create worlds, pass down laws and judgments to your human vassals, and then smite and burn individuals and cities alike? Wow, I'm impressed. The most I can manage while drunk is reciting the alphabet backwards.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    oh god
    So you when you are drunk you create worlds, pass down laws and judgments to your human vassals, and then smite and burn individuals and cities alike? Wow, I'm impressed. The most I can manage while drunk is reciting the alphabet backwards.
    I've done a lot of crazy stuff while drunk (hence the "oh god"). Anything that sounded like an adventure (like walking around the neighborhood or calling someone I haven't talked to in a long time or standing on my head or going up on the roof) seemed like a good idea.

Many of my relationship stories start out "one time when I was really drunk... " It's not because I hook up with someone I wouldn't otherwise have though, it's because, like I said, I lose all of my shyness.
    SEE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think enjoying any "party" atmosphere really depends on a lot of factors.

For example, when I was in college, I hated the group/party line. I was always the one who never had any interest in wild parties, drinking to excess, passing out and/or blacking out, or puking up my stomach lining. I never did anything drunk I wouldn't do sober (other than the occasional "drunk dialing"). I only felt really comfortable in smaller informal gatherings of closer friends.

I think I just never felt comfortable in bars or clubs, or with a group of mostly strangers I didn't know, all drinking themselves into oblivion and making asses out of themselves talking superficial shit. (If there's one thing that instantly makes a negative impression on me, it's someone beginning a conversation with "Man, I was SO drunk ___!".)

However, I can certainly enjoy larger group gatherings with specific conditions. My theatre group friends have become a pretty big circle now and I'm always enthusiastic about seeing any or all of them, no matter how close I might be with each individually. In fact, we're having a Holiday party in a few weeks and I can't wait!

We're going to try *real* absinthe for the first time together! Any takers, that is. We and the Green Fairy! We shall become spirit kin of Oscar (Wilde) and Charles (Baudelaire)!!

OK, maybe not as obnoxious an atmosphere as Ezra's example. But I'm certain drunken revelry will be had by many. :wink: :wink: :wink:
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I can totally relate to what Ezra is saying. I ferociously detest such environments and flat phony parties/nightclubs where somebody (often half in desperation from the boredom) decides to drag you and a few others up to the dance floor and go wooo at the latest crappy tune they are blasting out at deafening volume... At their worst they can depress me quite thoroughly. That does not mean I hate to get drunk or anything, or partying with large groups of people. When I was at uni I sang in a choir and we had the most rowdy wedding type parties with our female counterpart choir (there were two choirs one male and one female and we often had mixed concerts). Those were often hilariously legendary good fun I by far prefer smaller parties at someone's place than nightclub settings... >_<
    INFp

If your sea chart does not match reality, go with reality (Old mariner saying)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baby
    If anything, it has more to do with being young, reckless and horny than anything else.
    I don't think so. I'm all of those, and still don't enjoy that kind of atmosphere.

I have two modes. Silent, thoughtful image-conscious (no joke; I actually get more image-conscious the drunker I am) mode and loud, happy mode. To be honest, there isn't much of a transition from when I am sober to when I am drunk. It's pretty much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by aka-kitsune
    (If there's one thing that instantly makes a negative impression on me, it's someone beginning a conversation with "Man, I was SO drunk ___!".)
    I hear you.

However, I can certainly enjoy larger group gatherings with specific conditions. My theatre group friends have become a pretty big circle now and I'm always enthusiastic about seeing any or all of them, no matter how close I might be with each individually. In fact, we're having a Holiday party in a few weeks and I can't wait!

We're going to try *real* absinthe for the first time together! Any takers, that is. We and the Green Fairy! We shall become spirit kin of Oscar (Wilde) and Charles (Baudelaire)!!

OK, maybe not as obnoxious an atmosphere as Ezra's example. But I'm certain drunken revelry will be had by many. :wink: :wink: :wink:
    What romantic imagery. I would join you.

TIM
    ILE-Ti
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's just introverted Betas which don't like that kind of atmosphere. Same with introverted Alphas.
    Suomea

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suomea
    I think it's just introverted Betas which don't like that kind of atmosphere. Same with introverted Alphas.
    Well evidently not. I don't like it.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It takes a pretty good sized pile of cocaine and about a liter of hard alcohol for me to enjoy a regular frat party.

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I tend to actually enjoy parties and I do enjoy drinking alcohol ... but on special occasions only - It gets to a point where things seem so effing pointless. It's fun at the time to lose control and have a wild time but I know people who take it too far, and basically see fun as just "getting hammered" or whatnot. It really is superficial and it shows a lack of creativity and/or intelligence to me .. in that you have to constantly get drunk just to enjoy yourself?

I would much rather create this rowdy atmosphere on my own ... I actually think the Beta descriptions give the impression of being too loud and intimidating ... but I think it's more like we are emotionally free, so we tend to just over-emphasize all our internal feelings on the outside ... which can come across as being obnoxious. I think Beta has a very intense, deeper side though.

Random, crazy, sober adventures with a small group of people or even one person is much more appealing than a typical party with alcohol. The parties blend in with eachother and they really don't become interesting .. unlike what could happen in other situations. I think my sx stacking really shows here ... I want to create deep bonds and connections with one person rather than have "light" interaction with a whole bunch of people.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

TIM
    ILE-Ti
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Salawa
    Quote Originally Posted by Suomea
    I dunno. SEIs can be quite the party animal. :?

My mother (SEI) is now 42 and not at all sick of that stuff, she goes out to party (and gets very drunk) frequently now that her children are old enough to be left at home alone.
    K, yeah the more I actually think about examples the more I see this is wrong. It was really just a quick statement that wasn't thought through too much at all. Will think about this topic more in depth.
    Suomea

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps the question should be one of why one would be at a party as well as what would be considered the optimum type of party for an individual?
    Johari Box

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, that would, like, make too much sense.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2
    Hmm, that would, like, make too much sense.
    Yeah, you're right. Bad idea! Let's scrap it!
    Johari Box

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to go to parties with my ISTp friends. We are very loud and not quiet loners. We never join any group we just go around by ourselves hitting on girls, talking with random guys, making a lot of noise whenever possible, and dancing without caring about "group dancing".

Anyway, I love partying and going out immensely, but don't try to involve me in a group, group activity, group of friends, anything. I just want to do what I want!
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit