Thread: Magnolia

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Magnolia

Have any of you guys ever seen this movie? Thoughts? I just watched it and wow that was probably the most thing ever- symbolism, the past, recurring themes, connections, patterns... damn! For those of you who've never seen it, here's a synopsis and cool charts [web:a60dbe260e]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnolia_%28film%29[/web:a60dbe260e] let me know wat you guys think... btw, claudia and jim's first date was probably the most thing ever... i'm thinking jim is an LSE and claudia is an EII (awww) lol
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just was talking about this movie today... how 'bout that.

I recall going to see Magnolia when it was in theatres with a friend from high school, whom I'd recently reconnected with (this was 8 or so years ago, I think). She had become a patent lawyer in the interim. Interestingly, I found the movie really fascinating psychologically and emotionally. Especially liked the song scene --- where each of the characters all joined in and sang a part. IMO, this movie was the ONLY movie that I actually liked Tom Cruise's performance. The only part where I thought he might *possibly* actually be able to act.

My friend HATED it. With a burning passion. She thought it was utterly ridiculous, pointless and ultimately unredeemable.

We lost touch after that.
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha movie tastes are crucial. i thought it was cool too. that article actually points out a lot of cool stuff that i didn't notice in the movie like how most of the songs were aimee mann and the number 82 was placed in random scenes to symbolize exodus... cool stuff.

I agree with you on Tom Cruise... not my cup of tea, but he def was good here.
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like the film. But I have no fucking idea why that first scene/intro thing before titles was put in.

I think there's a load of Fe there, and a load of Ni.

TIM
    nil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the movie. And the part when everybody sing rocks.

The intro was to... make you believe that impossible things, could happen in impossible circunstance. I really enjoyed the intro.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah def... i agree with u on the intro- i was trying to find a common link between all 3 of those incidences, but alas my weak was unable to do so. what do u guys think that was all about? i think it was just showing how even in reality there are no such things as coincidences... yeah i think there were a lot of the different functions in there... with the whole dramatic grieving scene, when jim and claudia were on their date, i guess u can argue for Earl and Frank's prosperous businesses... any others? Also, what types do you guys think the characters were? I'm pretty sure, as I stated before that claudia is INFj and jim is ESTj... what do u guys think?
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

TIM
    IEI-Fe-DCh so/sx
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the film is very alpha

tom cruise's character is ESE.
    philip seymour hoffman's character SEI (wouldn't be surprised if the actor is the same type)
    and all the other character's i remember were alpha NTs of various degrees of extroversion. (i suspect that almost everyone of the cast of actors were alpha types as well)
    juliane moore (who strikes me as ILE-Ti) was playing a character whose story seemed to center around her problem of not knowing how she felt and communicating her feelings -> Fi-polr.

the whole narrative meandering between different intersecting stories, which remain separate and never converge, is typical Ne/Si stuff:
    "Magnolia is 1999 film about dramatic and humorous events in the lives of many people, intertwined in a 24-hour span of coincidence and chance in Los Angeles, California, on a day of extremely variable weather." ---> alpha storytelling

famous frog scene: Ne

Last edited by lynn; 10-21-2015 at 01:49 AM.