Thread: Tegan and Sara

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tegan and Sara

I hate to distract from everyone's personal soul seeking threads (including mine) but I find these two fascinating, so would love to hear your opinions.

from an interview http://blastmagazine.com/2007/12/sis...egan-and-sara/

“You have to be a very patient, gentle kind person to date me,” Sara admits. “I could never date me. I could never date a musician. I just don’t feel like I could, ever. It seems so contradictory (but) I actually do feel really private and so it scares me to think that someone would have so much power to be able to create music and art from our relationship.”

“And yet, I do it all the time,” she acknowledges with a laugh. “I find that I’m not writing songs as the bad thing is happening or as the disconnect is happening, so a lot of times it’s really sort of like a retrospect thing. So I don’t feel like it’s as difficult on people as you would think just because it’s like, you’ve already gone through the rough period and then you’re writing the song. But I try to be very responsible and respectful of the things that I’m writing about. I don’t want the person that I’m writing about to feel like I’ve like exposed them.”

“Personally, I love making music, and I love the industry part of making music,” Sara says. “For me, the industry is not record labels and TV and money and MTV and whatever. It’s just the day to day of what we do and how we make this world work and how we have been able to build a career independently.”

“I always remember feeling a bit angsty about press and interviews because there is such a focus on certain things and they just sort of get repeated over and over again,” Sara says. “If these people really wanted to know those answers, they’re out there, a thousand times over. … I would have these moments where I was like, ‘Why do they all want to know the same boring questions and answers? Who cares? Why don’t people have other interesting questions to ask us? Aren’t we interesting? Don’t they want to know about something else?’

“As I get older, I realize that I don’t care as much about that,” she added. “So I feel like I’ve reconciled something about doing press because I’ve like learned that it’s not as important what I think is interesting.”
    Last edited by silke; 07-26-2014 at 09:48 PM. Reason: updated links

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha, give me some time to reflect on these people. Only watched the third video, but it did seem interesting that Tegan and Sara seemed to be more extraverted and that a couple of the people they were working with seemed introverted. Not that that's such a surprise, but I did like the portion where one of them (sad to say but I had a very hard time telling them apart) was trying to demonstrate how they thought of their drummer.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, that would be Tegan

btw, in case you're interested, the blonde guy is Death Cab for Cutie's guitarist, the drummer is also their (current) drummer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

because the question of identical twins came up recently...

do they seem like the same type?
    Last edited by hellothere; 12-25-2007 at 12:11 PM.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tegan is obviously ESFp. She dominates the conversation easily and in the first video makes a lot of SeFi jokes and comments ("We wrote our songs for you", "Tegan and Sara are all about being real", "You ignited this competition between us").

I'm not entirely sure about Sara. She's much quieter than Tegan, but I think she is also Fi quadra. My first guess would be ISTp. The article shows that she dislikes having to deal with the Fe-related aspects of the job, and her wanting to feel like she's interesting sounds like Ne DS. The part (5:50 in the first video) where she touches Sara is probably a good example of Si ego-Se ego interaction. She also asks the interviewer whether he's feeling healthy... Actually, ISTp is probably it.
    Last edited by Exodus; 12-26-2007 at 07:11 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool, yeah ISTp seems to fit Sara. She generally comes across a lot colder than Tegan. Though when she said "are you feeling healthy" she was probably just repeating the question that the interviewer asked them at the start.

This piece on their differences (from Tegan's perspective), I think its illuminating:

"Tegan: Well, our whole lives people always thought that Sara was extroverted and I was the introvert. But I think Sara is actually quite shy and reclusive and independent and she likes a lot of time on her own. They say that there's always a twin that doesn't want to be a twin and one that's fine with it. And Sara speaks singularly; she never speaks plurally, even if I'm there. She won't be like, "Me and Tegan went to do this" she'll be like, "Oh yeah, this one time, bla bla..." and I want to jump in, but I know if I jump in, then she wasn't able to tell the story from her perspective. It's like a lack of independence.

She doesn't want to have to share everything with me. I totally sympathize. I've just come to terms with it, and I almost find comfort in knowing I have a partner no matter what. I'm sure on some level she does too. But, I'd say that our biggest difference is just that. She's very independent and I'm happy being part of the group kinda thing.

She used to be the one to scream and push when we got into a fight, but now I'm the one more likely to do that. Now she's the one to pull back and be inside and be upset about it. I don't know when that happened. I guess it was a couple of years ago. I think that's actually more her real self. She needs a lot of Sara time. We've gone to a couple of different therapists. We went to therapy the whole time we were making this record. He's done sessions with a bunch of different sets of twins and he said there's always one that needs their own space. Hearing that was a lot better than hearing the other perspective which is "I hate you" and "you embarrass me". It's easier to just hear "Sara needs Sara time". And I know I can be overbearing too, because I have a million things going on inside of me. I don't balance music and personal as well. Musically we do the same thing; Sara takes a long time to write her songs. She perfects them and is more about the whole vibe not just the lyrics. I'm really quick."

Also I remember Tegan saying she felt like more of a leader.

In another interview, Tegan said something like "We're master communicators and ..." and when it was Sara's turn she goes "Firstly, I don't think I'm a 'master' anything"
    Last edited by hellothere; 12-26-2007 at 07:35 AM.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yikes, they're really ugly.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, hellothere, those quotes are very illuminating. The last bolded part especially shows that Sara is a lot more detail-oriented than Tegan. Typical ISTp characteristic.
    Last edited by Exodus; 12-27-2007 at 03:16 AM.

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm not seeing a lot of valued from her at all, and I can sense some as opposed to in the way she talks about babies coming out of her... SLI would be outside of Alpha and an irrational, and she gives me the Delta vibe of calmness too... I gotta go with SLI, a Polr at would certainly explain a lot...

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

liz reminds me of amy poehler.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

i love tegan & sara. does this make me gay? frankly, my dear, i don't give a damn.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalist Pig View Post
    i love tegan & sara. does this make me gay? frankly, my dear, i don't give a damn.
    Ditto I see LSE for Tegan

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Idk, I think both of them are really hot

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tegan: Fe-SEI

Sara: Si-SLI

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Although I really like a few of their songs, I got the sense that it would be kind of awkward if I got to know them on a personal level so one of them being Delta does make a lot of sense.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    Although I really like a few of their songs, I got the sense that it would be kind of awkward if I got to know them on a personal level so one of them being Delta does make a lot of sense.
    Lol, exactly the same feeling here. There would be an awkward clash for sure

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalist Pig View Post

GOD, CP IS ADORABLE.

yes, I like them, too

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tegan and Sara - ESFJ and ENFJ - Hugo and Hamlet

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look me in the eye and tell me you don't find me attractive, look me in the heart and tell me you won't go.