Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ISTjs feeling anger and irritation

Do you find that your anger level, between one and ten, never really sits in the middle of the scale, but instead bounces from the low end all the way to the high?

Now I want to make a distinction between anger and irritation. Anger for me is an intense feeling of rage that overwhelms my ability to think rationally, whereas irritation is a milder emotion, a kind of "fuck off" reaction to things that interrupt or impede my activities.

I let irritation out all the time, saying "What?!" to people bothering me, shouting at cars on the road, responding with "Blah blah blah go away," etc.

Anger, however, is something I usually repress. It just never seems justified to me. I feel like it's ridiculous, an absurd way of dealing with troubling situations. This leads to an instinctive shuffling aside of anger-driven impulses to an almost algorithmically insignificant position in my consciousness.

Eventually, however, something pushes me over the line. When the catalyst is impersonal, it is invariably due to some kind of physical malfunctioning of something vital to my productivity, like my computer or car.

It is far more common, however, for a person or persons to cause me to go over the edge. In high school, an obnoxious, fat SLE got in within inches of my face and verbally bullied me over the fact that he was right in a dispute over a play during a game of kickball. He was such an overbearing ass that I went into this berserk rage, punched him in the face and then proceeded to run circles around him, taunting him for being too fat to catch me. I poured all of my anger into making him suffer as much as possible, saying the meanest things I could think of, like making fun of him for not having a dad, that sort of thing. This sounds like I was just being mean, but I was irreconcilably angry, pumped so full of adrenaline that almost became an animal.

Other examples are taking the hat off an ILE kid who was bullying me and hitting him in the face with it as hard as I could. More recently, Joy was being a bitch, so I took her laptop and shattered it across my leg.

The point here isn't that my actions were so extreme, it's that in each of these circumstances I went from being totally calm--or at least composed--to suddenly, unexpectedly lashing out hysterically in pure infuriation, like going from moonless night to noonday sun in an instant, no graduality whatsoever.

Do you LSIs relate to this?

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    Now I want to make a distinction between anger and irritation. Anger for me is an intense feeling of rage that overwhelms my ability to think rationally, whereas irritation is a milder emotion, a kind of "fuck off" reaction to things that interrupt or impede my activities.

I let irritation out all the time, saying "What?!" to people bothering me, shouting at cars on the road, responding with "Blah blah blah go away," etc.
    Yeah, I'm a pretty irritable person. I guess it's because I have such low patience. My irritation comes out in body language and how i respond to people...breaking things helps sometimes. It's hard for me to get out of the loop of irritation. I usually just need a lot of time alone and peace and quiet. If this doesn't happen, it continues to build and build.

Anger, however, is something I usually repress. It just never seems justified to me. I feel like it's ridiculous, an absurd way of dealing with troubling situations. This leads to an instinctive shuffling aside of anger-driven impulses to an almost algorithmically insignificant position in my consciousness.
    I feel the same way, however for me it's really hard to control sometimes. I'm realizing now that it usually takes a constant stream of irritation to lead me to the point of anger and when it does, damn..stand back. Rage is an ugly thing and I hate being pushed that far to the point you can't control yourself but i've gotten there before, more times than i'd care to admit.

The point here isn't that my actions were so extreme, it's that in each of these circumstances I went from being totally calm--or at least composed--to suddenly, unexpectedly lashing out hysterically in pure infuriation, like going from moonless night to noonday sun in an instant, no graduality whatsoever.

Do you LSIs relate to this?
    Yeah, like I said, it's probably due to ignoring our feelings..repressing them until they just explode. I was trying to work on recognizing and labeling how I was feeling before I let my anger get out of control but it's very hard to pinpoint when or why something happened before I just snapped. I just react, I can't help it. I think that's the best I can explain or justify my anger, I'm highly reactive.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

That's called RAGE (a very typical characteristic of LSE character) and I may say not very typical of introverts, as they are much more likely to hold things in..introverted, get it? Inside verted. Turning inwards.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was gonna say to to DJ and Jessica that I do this, too.

So can I be LSE now?
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

One hates being pushed that far and the other can't help it. One evaluates their feelings the other doesn't...E/I. One can stand more nagging, the other can't. One is Fe feeling valuer, the other isn't. I guess you can get back to being an Introver, Golden.

"I feel the same way, however for me it's really hard to control sometimes. I'm realizing now that it usually takes a constant stream of irritation to lead me to the point of anger and when it does, damn..stand back. Rage is an ugly thing and I hate being pushed that far to the point you can't control yourself but i've gotten there before, more times than i'd care to admit."
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rofl. Yeah. Maybe a beta introvert thing, maybe a beta thing, maybe a person thing. I've never actually gone over the edge, but I've gotten pretty damn close. The high school example sounds like something I've considered doing before, especially the sentence about pouring your anger into making the other person feel as terrible as possible. I know objectively that's a bad thing, but I can't help but think that it would feel satisfying.

Also, the self-control bit. I don't think I've ever been out of control, at least not around other people.

EDIT: Also, I can see how I use Fe to blow off steam I suppose. Which always pisses off my Fi family members. Which in turn irritates me.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beta
    blocked with
    Emotions suppressed + conscious volitional sensing.

Sounds like LSIs need to get out more. Or lighten up.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    That's called RAGE (a very typical characteristic of LSE character) and I may say not very typical of introverts, as they are much more likely to hold things in..introverted, get it? Inside verted. Turning inwards.
    Sorry, but this starts to get annoying, even to people who aren't directly involved in this discussion. If you don't agree with their self-typing you can tell them about it or whatever but please don't come back to that everytime a thread about LSIs is opened.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, you basically overreact to adversities. I don't think that's type-related. Maybe repressing your anger is the problem. Thinking that you can arbitrary control anger is not a good idea (likely because it doesn't fit the image of how you're "supposed to" act). When anger and rage is suppressed, it gains explosive strength. And by that nature more self-control is required to keep anger and rage in check.
    Last edited by Singu; 02-09-2011 at 05:54 AM.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Actually Jessica might very well be LSE too from this quote>....

"I know, i'm the same way in that I don't have any sort of respect for someone that does what I do but I don't know how to be any other way. I've tried to confront people the moment I'm irritated with something but I tend to not realize just how pissed off I am until I explode. It's either a 1 or a 10 on the anger scale, nothing in between. I can't afford to have my roommates hate me."

She's contradicting herself her by saying that she represses it when in a previous post she said otherwise..that would be Ti ignoring.

LOL I have two duals here.
    -

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, i'm clearly LSE

Do you ever stop? Not everyone is LSE for christ sake. I like to go out and do things, I guess that makes me an extrovert!!!!!

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

No, I don't stop...that's called thinking and abstracting from reality (a REAL introverted trait, particularly one gifted to intuitive types). Going out and doing things is not an indication of E/I; what is, is what you're doing when you're doing these things, are you involved with the objective world, observing people, trees, scenes, of the outside surroundings, or are you in your thoughts so lost that you just missed people, certain things that happened, a car that drove by with your friend in it, etc?

What else is there for me to do? I am not very good at living in the objective world, so I must do as my mind does best, which is to think, ponder, analyze, think...just today, I was taking the bus to work and I got on the bus and walked right past my LSE friend. I was so lost in some analysis in my head that I couldn't see the object/people around me. That is Fi introversion, I don't expect you to be Fi, you don't sound like it.
    -