• music: s and e

0 0%

Thread: -

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    Last edited by Dee; 02-26-2009 at 02:16 AM.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know which I pay more attention to. I love the words, and the music, and the relationship between the words and the music. Hmmmm. Words in a song are important to me though. If the tune is good but the lyrics aren't, I will never be able to entirely like the song. I'll always be thinking, "What stupid lyrics!" But if the lyrics are good but the tune isn't that great I can let the bad tune go. I guess that puts me on the "lyrics" end, doesn't it?

OK so I'll say lyrics, and I'm IEE. I can't remember if IEEs are "e" or "c" because I think the reinen dichotomies are blown out of proportion, but I know I'm static.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need to get a better grip on these concepts before you start messing with them in the real world, dee.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I don't know if I prefer the lyrics or the music - they are both important. I kinda of like concept albums, or albums with an overall theme, so that all the songs seems relevant to the whole, both musically and lyrically. I like music that allows time for reflection on what is said, like Pink Floyd's infamous album, and Low by Mr. Bowie - the lyrics might be rather sparse and vague on occasion, but the lyrics certainly form an important part. But, I also like albums like Neu! '75 by Neu!, which has hardly any lyrics (especially any that make sense) - I think the important thing for me about concept albums is that they have a certain theme or mood I can return to - I thought I was a Construvist, though some have suggested I may actually be an Emotivist...I'm definitely a Static though.

(Gosh, I love music ).

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me the music and singer's voice is more important than the lyrics. Half the time I have no idea what the lyrics of a song are I just like how it sounds. I think this may be why I like listening to music in foreign languages. So that would make me Music, Static, Constructivist.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lyrics are totally superfluous; good music doesn't need lyrics to evoke an emotional response.

Drum 'n' Bass for life!
    INTp, ILI Logical subtype

Drum 'n' Bass head

GorillaSound.net

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Umm.. What if I listen to music with no lyrics?

Anyway, there's a similar thread posted some time ago.

Personally, I have no idea what I prefer. I think it depends.
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drd252
    Lyrics are totally superfluous; good music doesn't need lyrics to evoke an emotional response.

Drum 'n' Bass for life!
    Music doesn't *need* lyrics... but they certainly help to affix that emotional response in memory. At least mine. The music I favor always has some relevance to my current circumstances. Lyrics and melody together combining together to mirror my internal dynamic has the strongest emotional response.

I guess that's what I tend to like. Music that evokes the most powerful relevant "sympathos" response.
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I nearly always start listening to a song by listening to the overall musical sound; I do listen to lyrics but that only occurs once I'm familiar with the overall musical.. not "structure" as such, but the overall.. musicness for lack of a better term. When I've given the song a fair few listens and am familiar with the music, that's when I start listening to the lyrics. So the music being good is a pre-requisite to liking the song; I can tolerate bad lyrics better than bad music. If the lyrics are too bad though, this can still put me off the song.

I'm dynamic and, according to Wikisocion, I'm constructivist.
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

"IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get hooked by the lyrics. Bad music can almost ruin a song but if the lyrics are good, I just lament what could have been and take solace in the fact that in my head, it was better. Bad lyrics make me mad, makes a song completely pointless for me personally, although I can understand other people being into the beat and whatnot. I prefer lyrics that speak to the human experience. Crafty and clever take a back seat to emotionally resonant.

A great singer can make bad lyrics and/or music okay, with the emotion of the performance.
    EII
    4w5, sp/sx

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pay more attention naturally to the beat, then the words, then the "music."

Under cerulean skies...

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy89
    To me the music and singer's voice is more important than the lyrics. Half the time I have no idea what the lyrics of a song are I just like how it sounds.
    me

Creepy-bg

I pay more attention naturally to the beat, then the "music.", then the words,

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the isfps agree!

i just love the beat of a song, that is partly why i listen to so much foreign music, for i have no clue what the lyrics are.

beat>lyrics
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

TIM
    nil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't necessary i pay atention to lyrics. Instrumental rocks. So, music came first the the words. Hope of deliverance is a good example: I love the music, but i don't pay so much atention on the words. Anyway, i like dark lyrics of certain bands.

Creepy-bg

the funny thing is that most songs I've listened to so much that I know the lyrics by heart... but have never thought about what they mean

TIM
    nil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    the funny thing is that most songs I've listened to so much that I know the lyrics by heart... but have never thought about what they mean
    In my case, when i like the music that much, i try to look at the lyrics and found out their meaning.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I once told an estj that exact thought, and she shamed me and called me shallow.
    D-SEI 9w1

Creepy-bg

well I think it's shallow to call other people shallow

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well I think it's shallow to call other people shallow
    She was quite imposing, I couldn't say anything.

Though that is a great comeback.
    D-SEI 9w1

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You need to get a better grip on these concepts before you start messing with them in the real world, dee.
    +1
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lyrics are what make the song for me...in songs that have lyrics. I always try to find the 'meaning' (to me) in music. For that reason, lyrics always seemed to just be more satisfying. If I had to choose between a song with good lyrics and a bad beat or the reverse, I'll take the first. It isn't always the content of the words that gets me necessarily. There's also the way the performer sings them, the emotive force that they bring. At that point, the lyrics don't have to mean much to me, if the artist can give the impression that they mean something important to him/her. I do like instrumental music, particularly from Japanese composers/musicians (Nobuo Uematsu, Yasunori Mitsuda, Joe Hisaishi, etc) and hip hop beats sans lyrics. Oh, and I'm a static, constructivist.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know for a fact that I prefer instrumentals. When songs with lyrics come on, they have to be very, very high quality, otherwise I don't enjoy them. However, I have a lot more tolerance for instrumentals and songs with very few or repetitive lyrics. I think it's something about standing the risk that the song could be cheesy in some way. I know I've deleted many songs from iTunes from decent enough albums, but they always contain one shit, cliched song which has to go. Even the music can be average if the song contains some kind of values that I hold. I have a Breaking Benjamin song I've kept solely because it has the lyrics "only the strongest will survive", and I like the energy it generates. I normally despise teen metal and rock bands a la Sum 41, MCR, and the stuff they used to and probably still do play on Kerrang! when I was 12 or 13.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My vote is for tune. The music is most important to me. Lyrics are good when the words match up with the tune and they more clearly define what the composer/writer is trying to convey. Great lyrics in a song with an extreamly simple tune, or "bad" sounding tune, I will listen to but I don't experience this as music as much as I do listening to a story or poem.

I do not know RD thing at all. . .
    EII 4w5

so/sx (?)