Thread: Type These Guys

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Type These Guys

They're both on my corridor. I'm pretty good mates with them both.

The first one is a bit of a slacker. He likes to just chill and enjoy himself on solitaire, listening to music or playing games, and while he clearly makes an effort to work, he might not have finished an essay due in on the day until the last hour or so before he has to hand it in. He doesn't go out very much - he prefers to sit at his laptop. He's a bit of a geek in that respect. But like another guy on my corridor, he's defied my expectations of being a geek i.e. he'll play games and stuff, but then he's a good person to go out with and get pissed. A kind of weird hybrid.

When he says something, it can be entirely out of the blue, but I've talked with him before, and he explains that he thinks really quickly, so that when he explains something, he explains his thought processes and how he got there, otherwise no one knows where the fuck whatever he said actually came from. He's very open as a person, approachable and easy to talk to about matters, but can be pretty reclusive as I already stated. He's got a pretty standardised routine, and has few lectures to go to, which is why he has so much time to spare. I get the feeling that he wouldn't be bored doing the same thing for the rest of his life.

He doesn't really care about his social life a great deal like most on my corridor do, and he's not really driven to go out and get girls in a womanising way like a lot of the other guys here are. He's essentially pretty black and white in his views, and will sometimes try to argue for a position that he can't argue for, because he doesn't know about it, so he ends up losing. I find it amusing, because it seems as if he likes arguing, a bit like me. He can be quite aggressive, but it's in a jokey way. In that respect, I can understand this, because I have it. People misinterpret it for real aggression sometimes.

He really just wants to get rich in life so that he can enjoy it. He told me that he doesn't mind a 9-5 job if it pays a lot, because he can enjoy the rest of his time off. He has told me however that on top of this, he loves working i.e. once he's in work mode, he can go on for fucking ages. Then perhaps another day, he just can't be arsed again. He does what needs to be done, and nothing more. He says he works on the bare minimum maxim because he likes to maximise his own pleasure.

That's the first guy. The second guy I'm better mates with. He's really, really great company, and a very likeable person in general. He's an Enneagram 7w6 (I have a really tough time trying to type the other guy). I can talk to him very easily about anything. He often comes to me for advice about life matters in general, and sometimes we just talk about other stuff. You can't really have a heavy conversation with him, but he's not averse to discussing stuff like religion in the world and some philosophical matters. He loves to joke around and laugh, and he loves comedy.

He's a regular kind of guy. He plays football (loves it) both in real life and on consoles, and does his work on time but not days before it's got to be in (like a regular student). Academically, he has no problem whatsoever. Nor socially. He goes out quite a lot. One thing that can annoy me about him is how much of a pushover he is. Basically, if he doesn't have a proper reason ('I have work to do') for not doing something, he'll do it. So he ends up doing shit he doesn't want to do. I do tell him to just tell them 'not tonight' or whatever, but it's in his nature to just do that kind of thing.

He sometimes criticises what I do (i.e. I watch a LOT of films), but then when I ask him why he does this, he tells me that it's in situations like when he asks me to go to a party with him and I say 'I'm watching a film' or 'I can't be arsed dressing up' that he actually wants me to be there to enjoy it i.e. he's afraid that he won't like it, and if he doesn't, he wants to have a shit time with someone he actually likes - me. I'm deeply appreciative of this. When you talk to him, he's a very good listener and conversationalist. He always has something to say, and when you tell him something, he'll repeat it back to himself, almost like he's meditating on it, giving the impression that he really is trying to understand what you're saying.

He likes drinking games, and he likes to spend time with people as much as he possibly can. If he's stuck in his room doing work, he can only do it for so long before he gets bored or depressed. He doesn't like to stick with one group, and he's like me in this respect, but as I said, he's a bit of a pushover, so he technically has a proper social group who wants him to get a house with them next year, but he's getting one with me instead. I know they're okay with this though, as does he.

Career wise, I don't think he really knows what he wants to do. He's doing a maths degree, but I think he shies away from accountancy and that kind of thing.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

throwing this into "what's my type".
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers. I noticed that mistake when I did it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one is going to attempt at typing them?

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The first guy is a lot more like me...so we wouldn't get along very well, Ezra? I have to be all outgoing and manly and like football to be your buddy huh?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

guy #2 sounds ENFp to me, second choice would be ENTp
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves
    The first guy is a lot more like me...so we wouldn't get along very well, Ezra? I have to be all outgoing and manly and like football to be your buddy huh?
    The 'manliness' you so speak of is all that I despise. Outgoing? No, so long as you can hold a conversation with me. Football doesn't interest me in the slightest. So I partake in none of the activities that he does.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yeah same here, sports are boring. Hmm...hold a conversation. I'll try if you do. =p

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first guy sounds like me when I'm depressed. ILE wouldn't be a bad choice, I guess. The second guy sounds like an extrovert, and probably ethical; maybe ESE or EIE.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    The first guy sounds like me when I'm depressed. ILE wouldn't be a bad choice, I guess. The second guy sounds like an extrovert, and probably ethical; maybe ESE or EIE.
    I think ESE is much more likely than EIE for the second guy.

I can see ILE but perhaps also IEE for the first one.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting, I am the first guy. (The second guy is genuinely my friend.) It was designed as an experiment to see what people thought I was without any mis/preconceptions whatsoever. Let me note that it is all true of me; none of it is made up. So if you have a picture of me that conflicts with that, discard it, because it is wrong.

Here are some pictures of the second guy if you're interested.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait, you mean that's the second guy?

The more time passes, the more I think you're my identical, Ezra.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait, you mean that's the second guy?

Shit, sorry, those pictures are of the second guy. The first guy is me. Here's a recent one of me:

(The bib is from OTC selection weekend.)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And what do you think you are, and was that comment based on seeing the photos of the second guy and thinking that they were of me?

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILE is my best guess as ever.
    No; I was the one who corrected your label As I said before you even revealed, your description of yourself sounds like me when I'm depressed, or at least not feeling sociable.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ezra looks so much like my mom sometimes it freaks me out -- not at all suggesting that you are the same type!

i agree with expat on both descriptions.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    ILE-Ti
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second guy is Alpha definitely....... I think I'd like hanging out with him quite a bit. Seems very similar to me in a lot of ways...... cept for the not liking to discuss anything serious.
    Suomea

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILE is my best guess as ever.
    There are problems with ILE. Like Se role function. Also, see the differences between me and you that Expat wrote about, and there are some pretty distinct ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Suomea
    Second guy is Alpha definitely....... I think I'd like hanging out with him quite a bit. Seems very similar to me in a lot of ways...... cept for the not liking to discuss anything serious.
    He does like to, but if it gets too serious, he'll attempt to steer the conversation away from it.

TIM
    ILE-Ti
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    He does like to, but if it gets too serious, he'll attempt to steer the conversation away from it.
    What do you mean by serious? Does he not like talking about the war in Iraq because it's a serious topic, or does he just shy away when people get angry and heated with one another?
    Suomea

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    What do you mean by serious? Does he not like talking about the war in Iraq because it's a serious topic, or does he just shy away when people get angry and heated with one another?
    I don't know his motivations for directing conversation in another direction. Perhaps it's simply not the right time for it. He's not the kind of person you'd talk politics with. He just wouldn't give a shit. But he doesn't mind talking about religion and spirituality and the is-there-a-god? question.