Thread: Confused by Si

Hacking your soul since the beginning of time Hitta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Confused by Si

I may have been going at Si the wrong way, although I'm still unsure about the way to approach it. I've been describing +Si as positive sensations and -Si as negative sensations. I am almost certain that -Si tends to deal with a strong hygiene. Gulenko describes +Si and -Si as proactive ("+"): stabile comfort, habitual sensations
    reactive ("-"): thrill, different sensations, change in physical state. While there is probably some correctness to this, I feel that this has a lot to do with Se instead of Si. I believe that along with many other things Se encompasses whether or not a person would prefer to have "wild and crazy" fun or have a habitual lifestyle. I believe that Gulenko is somewhat incorrect with how he broke it down. For instance ENFps, INFjs, INTps, and ENTjs are probably huge thrill seekers. They probably like to skydive or chase a tornado or something, something drastic. -Se prefers the safe habitual environment. They don't like to do anything too extreme in lifestyle. Where does this leave Si though. +Si has something to do with euphoria, I can say that for certain. -Si has something to do with hygiene. I've been thinking about how Fe and Fi works and how whats external is the opposite of whats internal(it should work that way for all functions, although with the descriptions its hard to see). Because of this I'm thinking that Si is the same as Se except for introversion extraversion. Maybe -Si is careful maintenance of the body(meaning they would take good care of hygiene and stuff), and +Si is about unique sensations to the body. This would mean that types like INTjs with a +Si agenda would prefer to explore their bodies and try to do things to make it feel exceptional, and -Si types like INTps would take careful care of their bodies and not do anything overly dramatic.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

jessica129:scrotums r hot

:" hitting cap makes me envision cervix smashing"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When in Si, Si like the Sis do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone values . They *have* to! Each type values a different version of ! *flails dramatically*

For example, people who don't brush and floss their teeth may develop periodontal disease. These people valued -- but they didn't value the flossing/teeth-brushing kind. Once their gums start hurting and they realize they need to get root planing and scaling, then this involves -, or rather ->>>>>>>>>+. If such people had valued - all along, they never would have neglected their brushing and flossing in the first place! *dramatic sighing ensues*

(Okay, I am just getting flat out ridiculous... again.)

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    Everyone values . They *have* to! Each type values a different version of ! *flails dramatically*

For example, people who don't brush and floss their teeth may develop periodontal disease. These people valued -- but they didn't value the flossing/teeth-brushing kind. Once their gums start hurting and they realize they need to get root planing and scaling, then this involves -, or rather ->>>>>>>>>+. If such people had valued - all along, they never would have neglected their brushing and flossing in the first place! *dramatic sighing ensues*

(Okay, I am just getting flat out ridiculous... again.)
    that story isn't as much fun to read when you're living it.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    do you have dental insurance? (unless you just mean in general)

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    do you have dental insurance? (unless you just mean in general)
    I have absolutely no insurance of any kind... (and I'm trying to find a job right now. Having really bad teeth is a serious ego slam when you're trying to psych yourself up to get interviews )

don't smoke meth kids...

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm understanding Si in ego block to be an awareness of the physical well being of things. Like this morning was a great example. I woke up feeling horrible, lack of sleep, hungry.

I had my first class, and realized I needed to come home and rest. a 40 minute nap was great, just what I needed.

The interesting thing was, prior to the nap, my mindset, emotions, everything, was horrible. I was having a slew of negative thoughts and everything else. But resting helped everything. So I think my awareness of this in general, and in other people, is increasing.

Perhaps Si people are more acutely sensitive to this.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Courage
    I'm understanding Si in ego block to be an awareness of the physical well being of things. Like this morning was a great example. I woke up feeling horrible, lack of sleep, hungry.

I had my first class, and realized I needed to come home and rest. a 40 minute nap was great, just what I needed.

The interesting thing was, prior to the nap, my mindset, emotions, everything, was horrible. I was having a slew of negative thoughts and everything else. But resting helped everything. So I think my awareness of this in general, and in other people, is increasing.

Perhaps Si people are more acutely sensitive to this.
    So the point is, you attend to first... you don't dismiss it or let it go. It's a priority.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is need. Your health is directly correspondent to whether or not you have filled your needs. I'm not sure how to define + or -, because they seem to be reversely correlated or something. (? + equals construction, yet + equals seperation...???? Or am I wrong?) One usage of identifies when people aren't getting what they need, due to a biological condition which fails to produce or some condition external to the body. (famine, for example) This form of sees the consequences of incompatible stimulie/stimulus, e.g. incompatibility. The other form sees compatibilities, what is needed to produce good health, comfort etc..

For a long time people assumed that one could choose between using the negative or positive form of a function (people have always been capable of assessing health and unhealth) at will. (I certainly did.) You've changed that, Hitta. Thanks to you, we now know that you can't see the glass as half-full and half-empty at once. (which is obvious, but had not been proven socionics-wise)

Interesting note: in Fire Emblem, an ISFP protagonist has a brother who is ill. The ISFp refuses to acknowledge this to himself until he has learned to accept his own strength. (trancendent function, +) However once he does, he uses his strength as a means of confronting his brother's vassal, who had sought to hide the truth of the brother's ill-health from him; in fact, the ISFp discloses that he knew his brother had died since their last meeting, even though word of the death had been kept from him by the vassal. Apparently he was capable of assessing through his functions that his brother's health was terminal, and successfully estimated through them the maximum duration of the illness.

I suspect there are people on this forum who can attest to these kinds of events, even though they've kept them to themselves. Although the above example was of an ISFp, I suspect ISTps should be well aware of how long a business relationship may last, for example. I'd like to have confirmation on this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Confused by Si

Quote Originally Posted by hitta
    I may have been going at Si the wrong way, although I'm still unsure about the way to approach it. I've been describing +Si as positive sensations and -Si as negative sensations.
    I think the mistake was describing +X as positive X and -X as negative X, so that people who are strong in "-X" end up sounding as if they're weak in "X" (with the exception of Ti, where your definition -Ti sounds like a stronger use of Ti than +Ti).

You might try thinking of -X as focusing on the elimination of negative X, instead of as focusing on the opposite of X.

Not sure that that's the ultimate "right answer," but it's worth a try.