Thread: Self cultivation, self mastery, and weak Ni

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Self cultivation, self mastery, and weak Ni

I have always been drawn to the idea of cultivation of the self, and self mastery.
    This seem to ties into polr in that...... ultimately, what else can you count on but yourself?

What do you think?

You can try to change the world, but ultimately your own choices, decisions, and actions are what they are. Ultimately the thing you are responsible for is your own self. So it seems for myself, that is a powerful motivation, or at least, something I can put weight on. The only thing you can really legitimately work towards, perhaps the only thing you can really trust.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Self cultivation, self mastery, and weak Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Courage
    I have always been drawn to the idea of cultivation of the self, and self mastery.
    This seem to ties into polr in that...... ultimately, what else can you count on but yourself?

What do you think?

You can try to change the world, but ultimately your own choices, decisions, and actions are what they are. Ultimately the thing you are responsible for is your own self. So it seems for myself, that is a powerful motivation, or at least, something I can put weight on. The only thing you can really legitimately work towards, perhaps the only thing you can really trust.
    To answer that question - physics, for one. Not myself, though.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Self cultivation, self mastery, and weak Ni

Same here, but perhaps not in quite such a 'hard-ascetic' way as your sentence implies.

ultimately, what else can you count on but yourself?
    God? Friends? Family?

Best
    Five/Tanzhe

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't everybody aspire to self-cultivation and self-mastery? Why would it be functionally related?
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, not everyone I have met has had such aspirations. And I am certainly NOT saying all LSEs or ESEs are into self cultivation and self mastery. Clearly that is not the case.

I am saying, from the perspective of an polr, one of the interesting aspects of why may be appealing is because - what else is there? Paranoid Ni. How can you really say what is going to happen in the future, who you meet, or what happens. All you can really do is work on yourself. And that in turn can lead to improving relations with other people, and so on and so forth.

I brought this up because "serving", "serve and protect", or doing things for other people is something that has been a motivation and appealing to me... but at the same time, it seems like those things you can only depend on so much. In one sense, it is just an outside factor, a variable.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can you really say what is going to happen in the future, who you meet, or what happens. All you can really do is work on yourself.
    It would be foolish to think otherwise.