Thread: What is your goal in life if you have one

Creepy-bg

live... maybe kick the dope someday.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making sense of stuff and translating it for future generations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I don't want to die - I'll figure out my other goals later.

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make money. There's other stuff, but that's the main thing.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by electric

+1
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Money doesn't make one happy. People do.

It's way more important to make friends with people than to make money.
    Intuition

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jas05
    Yeah, but sometimes people piss you off...
    How often does having money piss people off?

SubT had my goal also, I don't think I wanna die, I'd probably get bored if I were dead, I figure there's much more to do here while I'm alive. :wink:

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd generally agree, you have to find a balance though. Money gives you the possibility of widening your horizons, and thus make more friends, and also to make things happen with them. But per se, seems like pointless, since in any case you are going to die sooner or later, and money won't soothe that.

This is going to sound judgemental but people that are too invested in making money imho have been burned out in relationship matters and thus prefer to go the sure way.

My goal is to widen my horizons and explore the world with a S.O. with me in my quest.

Yeah, but sometimes people piss you off...
    How often does having money piss people off
    When I've got money, and nobody to share it with, I just get depressed.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm sorry. i really cannot "get" the anti-money mentality. i also don't get "you're going to die and money won't make that any better!!!" argument. i'll have my casket gilded or something.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied
    i'm sorry. i really cannot "get" the anti-money mentality. i also don't get "you're going to die and money won't make that any better!!!" argument. i'll have my casket gilded or something.
    It's not anti money, it just treats money as what it is - a means to get goods, but not a good per se. A kiss on the cheek makes me 1000 times happier than a gilded casket. Is this my fault? Dunno, but everybody has his/her own preferences.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IF i die with a lot of money I'm sure it would be given to my family and I'd have no problem with that, that would keep me just as happy as me having money... so I agree, money = me being happy. If I don't have anyone to share it with then I have no problem spending money on myself or anything like that. Luckily, I have both so that keeps me fairly happy anyway making this a moot point for me. As I said before, I'm just happy staying alive.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cracka
    IF i die with a lot of money I'm sure it would be given to my family and I'd have no problem with that, that would keep me just as happy as me having money... so I agree, money = me being happy. If I don't have anyone to share it with then I have no problem spending money on myself or anything like that. Luckily, I have both so that keeps me fairly happy anyway making this a moot point for me. As I said before, I'm just happy staying alive.
    I have no problem spending money on myself either, but after a certain point, I feel like something's missing. I think this is an entirely personal issue anyway.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I have a life goal as such (meaning a single clear goal). I think life is more or less an adventure or a road you travel and explore whatever comes your way. To get a certain level of material success is generally beneficial during the road (perhaps even a lot) but I have a hard time seeing money as a life goal as such. It doesn't make any sense really. I can understand a Donald Trump kind of materialistic goals where you try to build something or create something materialistic (like a new and better New York City) and of course have fun and make a lot of money in the process. But in that kind cases there is some purpose to it all other than just making money. Perhaps this is because I don't generally spend much money except when I buy something big like a car. I don't like to spend money on every day materialistic little things. I do enjoy occasionally spending money while partying or eating in a good restaurant but I'm not someone to surf around shops every day buying this and that. I get depressed if I spend money for nothing. Even when I spend money for nothing on someone else (hah).

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my goal in life is to always to continue to grow, psychologically, spiritually, intellectually.

money doesn't matter. it's only a connector...a means to an end. that said, i'd rather not be eating cat food and living out of a box when i'm old.

it's the people in your life and your relationships with them that matter the most.

it took me almost this long to figure that out!

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diamond8
    my goal in life is to always to continue to grow, psychologically, spiritually, intellectually.
    Very good way to put it!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anamericancer
    Quote Originally Posted by diamond8
    ...and financially.

I think money means freedom. Freedom to travel and experiment: which can help you grow psychologically, spiritually, and intellectually.
    i see your point....after i did a lot of adventuring, all that need for excitement fell by the wayside. by the time i was 40, the whole thing turned upside down and changed. but i would have said that the same thing you are saying a number of years ago. for sure.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To live, and while I am at it, build something big!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

Creepy-bg

I love the Cranberries... angry irish girls singing are cute

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fucking hippie.

Yeah, friends are good. But friends and money is better.
    Spiritual development is good. But spiritual development and money is better.
    etc.

But I'm not trying to convince anyone else, that's just my POV.

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Five minutes ago, I was contemplating the idea of becoming a pro youtuber as I was watching a TV channel dedicated to video games (namely Game One) in which a youtuber named Newtiteuf is hosting a show called "Level one" which is a "let's play" kind of show . As a matter of facts, Marcus (whom I love very much as a fan that is, if I've only seen him only once irl !) is the original host and creator of that show. Marcus also allegedly invented the "let's play" concept because "Level one" existed way before the advent of Youtube. But like I said, right now it's Newtiteuf who is hosting the show because Marcus took a few days off after he suffered from a heart attack which required a pacemaker. But I digress...

So watching that dude made me think that being a youtuber is actually quite a nice job all things considered. I was thinking that job would not be something very difficult for someone like me. In fact I could have been a youtuber since a long time if I had the right amount of motivation because I've always had a lot of what most people don't have enough namely free time.

So I was thinking about how I would proceed. First of course I would have to update my set-up (computer and technical stuff). I would also have to buy and master a Professional video editing program (even if I could do with a free alternative for a while). I naturally like to be visually creative and present stuff in an esthetically pleasant way. All this is perfectly feasible for me right now If I really wanted cuz I have the financial resources.

I could also make several youtube channel since I have a lot of interests and certain sets of skills in different domains. That said in terms of strategy and "the greatest amount of money earned for the minimum amount of work done" ratio (I'm there is a proper name for this but hey, I'm not a freaking economist !), it will be wise to make a youtube channel that build most of its success based on tends and pop culture. Indeed, it's like making a living out consuming, commenting, criticize, in other words feedbacking on what the market (whatever it is) has produced in whatever domain. That's an inexhaustible source if you think about it. Plus people will throw money at you, so much so that you'll have to make dedicated video just to read the (payed) superchat and superthanks.

I think I could be a successful Youtuber. I'm quite likable in addition to be a perfectionist which is good for any business endeavor. I would have to find the sweet-spot of video releases frequency to maintain a certain level of quality though. In the begging I would probably do all the mistakes expected but the sooner I overcome that phase the better of course so my video release frequency should be higher in the beginning, making a certain amount more of live videos than the elaborated ones might be the wise choice for that period because it would allow me to test things in real situation so to speak. All this would not feel like "work" to me because I would probably enjoy the process, would not count my hours cuz I would be in flow state and I would probably get addicted to it. Indeed, like I said, there is virtually no limit in term of material to work with and "monetize" to use a term of the Zeitgeist.

I don't like the idea that people throw money at you on youtube though. For some reasons, It feels like a lack of empathy towards real beggars to whom nobody gives a penny most of the time. Especially when I see very successful youtubers receiving money from people (obviously regardless of their social status) without any particular good in return as something normal. To me, merit is a real value and some very successful youtubers don't deserve their success imho. But I guess that's just the way people are in this post internet revolution age. For some of these high level youtubers, the Youtube Algorithm as they call it becomes the Alpha and the Omega. Those people have certainly understood the riddle of steel...

Last edited by godslave; 02-27-2024 at 03:33 AM.