Thread: "Talking past" someone and intertype relations

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default "Talking past" someone and intertype relations

Does this describe any specific relation? Definitely one of the most frustrating things.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Creepy-bg

I'm an ignorant dropout... what does "talking past someone" mean?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    When what you say is, in your mind, clear and obvious, but the other party understands it differently, often detrimentally, and even sometimes the opposite of what you meant.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Creepy-bg

conflict probably the most then. I notice this happens sometimes when Expat and I read eachothers posts on the forum. Neither means to be starting anything but sometimes one of us just takes what the other said totally the wrong way. It's pretty quick to clear up though since I think we've both gotten used to recognizing when this is going on and quickly confirm/clear things up through PMs or whatnot. It's more a matter of misinterpreting the motivations and intent behind whats being said than anything else. (also it seems that the more we clear it up the more we get used to eachother ways and the less it seems to happen. For the most part I think Expat and I can communicate pretty well these days with mutual respect for eachother strengths and weaknesses)

Sorry, but I don't have a good real world example.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by force my hand
    Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    When what you say is, in your mind, clear and obvious, but the other party understands it differently, often detrimentally, and even sometimes the opposite of what you meant.
    I have noticed this with particular "authoritarian" thinking types at work. A couple of female supervisors, both probably ESTj. I will have to describe my request/problem about 3 times, each time trying to phrase something differently for them to understand what I'm trying to say. It's very disturbing, and makes me question my sanity.

You describe a situation and they just deadpan assert that's not what's happening and you're wrong.
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BG, I have noticed the same thing with heath. A lot of the times, I'll read his posts and get quite offended but then begin to question my own understanding of what he is saying... just things like that. Anytime he replies to me, it seems condescending and out to get me type of stuff

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is likely heath's polr. It is just like niffweed - a lot of times they are not just aware of it. Niffweed actually apparently intentionally did it and enjoyed it.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux
    BG, I have noticed the same thing with heath. A lot of the times, I'll read his posts and get quite offended but then begin to question my own understanding of what he is saying... just things like that. Anytime he replies to me, it seems condescending and out to get me type of stuff
    You kiddin? Heath makes me spray milk all over my nose

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux
    You kiddin? Heath makes me spray milk all over my nose
    I agree although sometimes he seems a bit bitchy... probably just monthlys and stuff.