Thread: IEIs (INFps) and negative attitude towards violence and bullying

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default IEIs (INFps) and negative attitude towards violence and bullying

There's someone whose type I'm evaluating. Many of his characteristics seem to point to INFp, except this person seems to respond very negatively when he hears about bullying or violence or people being taken advantage or misused by people or groups more powerful than themselves. He's really sensitive to movies where sad things happen to people, especially when it seems unfair. He'll get agitated and refuse to watch the rest of the movie. Powerlessness against corrupt government or large businesses seems to be a sensitive issue.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Have you known any INFps like this?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: INFps and violence

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    There's someone whose type I'm evaluating. Many of his characteristics seem to point to INFp, except this person seems to respond very negatively when he hears about bullying or violence or people being taken advantage or misused by people or groups more powerful than themselves. He's really sensitive to movies where sad things happen to people, especially when it seems unfair. He'll get agitated and refuse to watch the rest of the movie. Powerlessness against corrupt government or large businesses seems to be a sensitive issue.

Isn't he rather EIE ?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not likely. He doesn't doesn't have an EJ temperament. The only other type that seems possible is INFj, but there's a lot about it that doesn't fit, more than the stuff about INFps that doesn't fit.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a bit that way. If there's excessive violence on a movie we're watching, I will turn it off. Or if I don't, it will affect me negatively for the rest of the evening and sometimes into the next day.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: INFps and violence

I don't see what's particularly un-IEI about this.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what I was wondering about.

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think this is type related. The level of violence in some films these days is just absolutely ridiculous. I'm not personally offended by the idea of violent films, but there's a limit where you just have to shield your eyes. I can barely watch some films without thinking "wtf?" because it's so messed up. I also can get very emotionally involved in sad stories/movies sometimes, if it's portrayed effectively.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a beyond that though. Like, if a someone dies or is framed for a crime or something, he gets really pissed and it ruins the movie for him. He storms out, then if someone brings up the movie later he gets agitated remember the things about it that bothered him.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's more about the concept than actual gore.

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see. Well, I don't think that is typical of any type, really. He probably has his own personal reasons for reacting that way that don't have anything to do with type. Do you know what sort of movies he DOES like, though? That might be a better clue as to what his type is.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comedy, mostly. I think he gets into some science fiction, too. And I think he liked that one movie about that boat in a huge ass storm on the ocean?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Perfect Storm?

Could he be ISFp? (the movie list reminds me of my dad)
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron
    The Perfect Storm?

Could he be ISFp? (the movie list reminds me of my dad)
    That's the one. I really doubt he's ISFp, unless I'm not Gamma.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kioshi
    Submissive behavior, in myself and in others, triggers in me an instinct to protect. This is probably the only time I get confrontational.

Note: By submissive behavior I mean when an individual becomes so afraid of being dominated that they avoid any interaction that might lead to dominance.

What really pisses me off is when the aggressor is encouraged by the submissive behavior. I tend to respond aggressively.

Though, I can't imagine myself getting all that upset with a movie. I actually like movies that trigger strong emotions in me. And I love a good tragedy. (Except "Braveheart". The ending there was just too disturbing to rewatch.)
    Maybe it's not type related. I thought it may be evidence of a Se PoLR in him, but I dunno, it could just be an individual quirk.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this person seems to respond very negatively when he hears about bullying or violence or people being taken advantage or misused by people or groups more powerful than themselves. He's really sensitive to movies where sad things happen to people, especially when it seems unfair. He'll get agitated and refuse to watch the rest of the movie. Powerlessness against corrupt government or large businesses seems to be a sensitive issue.
    I'm the same way. I can't watch anything in which a person is victimized, bullied, or unwillingly subjected to abuse - it tears my heart out. Watching vulnerable people taken advantage of, like children or the elderly or women, is too much to bear. I almost threw up watching the attempted rape scene in "Thelma and Louise."
    I also can't watch prison films. Though I know that the vast majority of people in prison deserve to be there, the systematized and accepted violence that occurs unabated in prisons equates to torture in my view. Locking people up and taking away their freedom is one thing; subjecting them to rape and violence on a daily basis is another. I feel the same painful, gut reaction towards child abuse as well.

So yes, I have a huge problem witnessing the maltreatment of others. It not only goes against my personal values of fairness and compassion, but it triggers my own fears of being taken advantage of and abused. I know that there are a lot of people in this world whose sole desire is to maintain and increase their own power (i.e. Mike Nifong and countless other corrupt DAs) at the expense of others, especially in our government, and for that reason I'm very mistrustful and fearful of authority. There aren't many greater offenses than when institutions that are created to protect others are the ones perpetrating injustice.

Now for a contradiction... I love mixed martial arts and other forms of sport fighting (i.e. the Ultimate Fighting Championship, kickboxing, etc.). But the key difference between sport fighting and other forms of violence is that the individuals in sport fighting are evenly matched, supervised, well paid, professionally trained athletes who are there because they WANT to be there; no one's forcing them to do anything they don't want to do. But when violence is forced upon a person via war, domestic abuse, rape, gang activity, etc., that person's dignity and rights are being violated, and that makes it wrong. Like I said earlier, maybe my visceral reaction to these things is a result of feeling vulnerable and easily bullied throughout my life, or maybe it's just my natural human instinct.
    Anyway, to sum up, if two consenting adults want to fight (and as long as there's someone there to make sure it doesn't get out of hand), that's fine with me. Victimization is what I have a problem with.
    INFp, Intuitive subtype, Enneagram 6w5
    Back in school and on semi-permanent hiatus from the forum

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a beyond that though. Like, if a someone dies or is framed for a crime or something, he gets really pissed and it ruins the movie for him. He storms out, then if someone brings up the movie later he gets agitated remember the things about it that bothered him.
    Sounds like he's taking it WAY too personally. I don't storm out of movies "on principle". If anything irritates me it's when everyone has to end up deliriously happy at the end. Often that's just a stretch. I don't need hand-holding that "everything will always be OK" and will be OK in the end. It isn't. And it doesn't.

Violence, crudeness, gratuitous sex... those are things that generally turn me off. It's baseness that I find distasteful. ie: the movie "Closer". Ugh. What a waste of time. They all deserved to be miserable.
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aka-kitsune
    Sounds like he's taking it WAY too personally. I don't storm out of movies "on principle". If anything irritates me it's when everyone has to end up deliriously happy at the end. Often that's just a stretch. I don't need hand-holding that "everything will always be OK" and will be OK in the end. It isn't. And it doesn't.

Violence, crudeness, gratuitous sex... those are things that generally turn me off. It's baseness that I find distasteful. ie: the movie "Closer". Ugh. What a waste of time. They all deserved to be miserable.
    On principle, I go on a rant about how much I hate a movie whenever someone dies for the sake of drama. What's up with movies and killing people off in the end. As if entertainment is supposed to leave me heartbroken and miserable. I wish they'd hire decent storywriters who aren't manic-depressive with a pen that's on a killing spree. Basically, there are plenty of happy endings in the real world so why do people always have to die in movies? (minor rant triggered by kisuke saying that there are too many happy endings in movies. Blah. only kids movies, early teenage romance movies and mindless action movies end without a dramatic death.)
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina

On principle, I go on a rant about how much I hate a movie whenever someone dies for the sake of drama. What's up with movies and killing people off in the end. As if entertainment is supposed to leave me heartbroken and miserable.
    I'll amend my rant and say I just can't stand "gratuitous" anything. Certainly, I don't *prefer* things bleak. But, I also don't mind unresolved or ambiguous either. Sometimes, I do find an ending just unsatisfying because it doesn't end the way I'd like. It all depends on my feelings about the story.

Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he's INFp, it could be that due to some personal connection - perhaps a memory - those images convey a wave of negative that he just can't stand.

A famous ISFp said that he doesn't understand people who go watch depressive movies, he only goes to watch comedies or adventure films, because he doesn't want to go to movies to get depressed, he already gets that in real life.

So it could be a similar situation.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, that is very possible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat

If he's INFp, it could be that due to some personal connection - perhaps a memory - those images convey a wave of negative that he just can't stand.

A famous ISFp said that he doesn't understand people who go watch depressive movies, he only goes to watch comedies or adventure films, because he doesn't want to go to movies to get depressed, he already gets that in real life.

So it could be a similar situation.
    Umm I think that your famous ISFp's words had to do with Si as a main function. Si seems to lead to avoiding uncomfortable situations, and murder and death and depression in movies can make one uncomfortable. I don't think this is as relevant to INFps for Si is typically not valued by INFps.

The connection scenario you mentioned may be true... as an example my little sister (INFp Fe subtype) watched a video on animal brutality a couple years ago and she's been a vegetarian ever since. This may also be an connection cuz I notice that ESFjs and ISFps avoid emotionally uncomfortable material as well.

Also the context that the violent situation happens within should be considered more important than the violent situation itself in effecting an INFp. By this I mean that if the INFp gets upset and turns the tv off when watching violence in a quality movie (i.e. City of God), then it may be indeed violence in general that turns him/her off.
    BUT, if the INFp does the same in a low quality movie (i.e. Hostile) then you should consider whether it's primarily because the movie just sucked and the over-the-top meaningless violence merely served as the stimulus that allowed him/her to realize this and stop wasting their time.

Anyway I'm INFp and I personally love sex, violence, and depression (separate or together lol) in movies so long as the movie is good. Even if the movie sucks the violence doesn't offend me, but the fact that I wasted time to watch such a piece of shit does

Anyways I'm gonna hypothesize that INFps that are offended by such will more likely be Fe-subtypes (closer to ISFp) whereas those that aren't will more likely be Ni-subtypes (closer to INTps). It seems to make sense.
    INFp-Ni

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by misutii
    Umm I think that your famous ISFp's words had to do with Si as a main function. Si seems to lead to avoiding uncomfortable situations, and murder and death and depression in movies can make one uncomfortable. I don't think this is as relevant to INFps for Si is typically not valued by INFps.
    Very good point, I agree. But there are similarities as in both situations it's the input - the Si comfort in the ISFp's case, the Ni connection in the INFp's case.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by misutii

Anyways I'm gonna hypothesize that INFps that are offended by such will more likely be Fe-subtypes (closer to ISFp) whereas those that aren't will more likely be Ni-subtypes (closer to INTps). It seems to make sense.
    Makes sense for me too. I have no qualms identifying as Fe-subtype. There are certain movies that I simply WON'T see because I know they will upset me. Never have seen "Schindler's List" for that reason. The concept of genocide isn't something I can really handle.

And the level of violence and sex in many movies just seems far too unnecessary. I see it as a "sensitization" thing. Because people are habituated, each movie has to keep upping the ante. Bleh.