Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Positivist vs Negativist and the way we word things

  1. #1
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Positivist vs. Negativist and the way we word things

    I remember reading a post that said that Negativists are likely to word things like "I wouldn't want to not do that" (instead of "I would want to do that"). I'm not sure how well this fits into my understanding of this dichotomy. It seems to me that it's more likely that there isn't such a direct correlation. It would matter more what they're actually saying and why.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  2. #2
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I notice that instead of "That's good!" I tend to say "That's not bad!"

    Also

    "That didn't take long at all!" for "That was quick!"
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  3. #3
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    I notice that instead of "That's good!" I tend to say "That's not bad!"

    Also

    "That didn't take long at all!" for "That was quick!"
    That's exactly the type of thing I'm talking about. I'm wondering how much it's related to this specific dichotomy.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  4. #4
    Khamelion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    U.S.
    TIM
    SEE-Fi 6w7 sx/so
    Posts
    3,828
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    I notice that instead of "That's good!" I tend to say "That's not bad!"

    Also

    "That didn't take long at all!" for "That was quick!"
    I kind of do that too.
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so



    [21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying
    .

  5. #5

    Default

    Positivism has nothing to do with positive thinking.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

    INTp

  6. #6
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Nor does this thread.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  7. #7
    UDP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East Coast West Coast Dirty South
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    14,826
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I use both.

    ?
    Pre-2013 post are written with incomplete understanding.

  8. #8
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think everyone does, but some people use one more than the other.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Nor does this thread.
    No but this thread has nothing to do with positivism either

    Roughly Positivism means that every statement has to be proved to be valid.

    And negativism is same as pessimism.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

    INTp

  10. #10
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I would tend to agree.

    Someone interpreted examples from the description as such though, so I wanted to discuss it a bit.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  11. #11
    Creepy-Diana

    Default

    .

  12. #12
    Creepy-Diana

    Default

    .

  13. #13
    Creepy-Diana

    Default

    .

  14. #14

    Default

    Well those definitions are just wrong to begin with.

    Positivist = follower of Positivism => Positivism = Comte's ideology

    Negativist = follower of Negativism => Negativism = Pessimism

    Thinking in positives and negatives aren't -isms.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

    INTp

  15. #15
    Creepy-Diana

    Default

    .

  16. #16
    Creepy-Diana

    Default

    .

  17. #17

    Default

    It's not question that I don't understand. But that Gulenko shouldn't have named them -isms in the first place.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

    INTp

  18. #18
    Creepy-Diana

    Default

    .

  19. #19
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    it's due partially to machine translations
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  20. #20
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Positivism: concrete empowering, abstract limiting
    Negativism: concrete limiting, abstract empowering

    Empowering: accepting static, creating dynamic OR judging introvert, perceiving extrovert
    Limiting: accepting dynamic, creating static OR judging extrovert, perceiving introvert

    The interpretation I am currently testing:
    Empowering: a function of choice, freedom. Multiple options, each suggested by the limiting dual complement function.
    Limiting: a function of restriction, duty, circumstance. A single option, bounded by the empowering dual complement function.

    Concrete: the known reality. Fact. The thing you need to figure out first. That without which you are incapable of orienting.
    Abstract: implications. Theories. The result of your deliberations. What you communicate to others, but hessistate to trust yourself.

    Positivism/negativism is a small cycle dichotomy. It concerns the relation between the concrete and abstract function. It tells about the way information is taken in, not about how it is employed. It has an effect on action by indirect means.

    Final interpretation:
    A positivist is at liberty to interpret the current situation in accordance with his/her goals. A negativist restricts himself/herself to a single interpretation of reality.

    I'll have to expand on this later.

  21. #21
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,632
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labcoat
    Positivism: concrete empowering, abstract limiting
    Negativism: concrete limiting, abstract empowering

    Empowering: accepting static, creating dynamic OR judging introvert, perceiving extrovert
    Limiting: accepting dynamic, creating static OR judging extrovert, perceiving introvert

    The interpretation I am currently testing:
    Empowering: a function of choice, freedom. Multiple options, each suggested by the limiting dual complement function.
    Limiting: a function of restriction, duty, circumstance. A single option, bounded by the empowering dual complement function.

    Concrete: the known reality. Fact. The thing you need to figure out first. That without which you are incapable of orienting.
    Abstract: implications. Theories. The result of your deliberations. What you communicate to others, but hessistate to trust yourself.

    Positivism/negativism is a small cycle dichotomy. It concerns the relation between the concrete and abstract function. It tells about the way information is taken in, not about how it is employed. It has an effect on action by indirect means.

    Final interpretation:
    A positivist is at liberty to interpret the current situation in accordance with his/her goals. A negativist restricts himself/herself to a single interpretation of reality.

    I'll have to expand on this later.
    perfect
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  22. #22
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Smilex once had a quote sigged saying "perfection exists behind the event horizon".

    I believe I know what he was thinking when he wrote that.

  23. #23
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,632
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labcoat
    Smilex once had a quote sigged saying "perfection exists behind the event horizon".

    I believe I know what he was thinking when he wrote that.
    ok then give my perfect bounding to the event horizon for your pleasure

    in any case i think the defintion you give at the end of your post could easily be considered as the final one
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •