Thread: Ender's Game

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ender's Game

What do you think of the types of the characters of that universe?

Here are the major ones I can think of off the top of my head:
    -Ender
    -Peter
    -Valentine
    -Graff
    -Bean
    -Petra
    -Jane
    -Novinha
    -Miro
    -Achilles

And a starting guess:
    Valentine Wiggin: ENFp
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ender: INTj
    Peter: ESTp
    Graff: ESTj?
    Bonzo: ISTj
    Rose: ESFp
    Alai: Alpha extrovert

I'm not sure about Valentine. Does this sound like Fe or Fi to you:

Peter had even named it once, when he said that he could always see what other people hated most about themselves, and bully them, while Val could always see what other people liked best about themselves, and flatter them. Valentine could persuade other people to her point of view--she could convince them that they wanted what she wanted them to want. Peter, on the other hand, could only make them fear what he wanted them to fear. ... she could, in her way, control people. And not just control what they did. She could control, in a way, what they wanted to do.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush
    I'm not sure about Valentine. Does this sound like Fe or Fi to you:

Peter had even named it once, when he said that he could always see what other people hated most about themselves, and bully them, while Val could always see what other people liked best about themselves, and flatter them. Valentine could persuade other people to her point of view--she could convince them that they wanted what she wanted them to want. Peter, on the other hand, could only make them fear what he wanted them to fear. ... she could, in her way, control people. And not just control what they did. She could control, in a way, what they wanted to do.
    I'm not sure. I think it could apply to both. Fe types would be better at the flattery part, probably, whereas Fi types would probably be more in tune with what people actually want to do.

What made me lean towards Ne|Fi| was how she seemed to see potential in others and bring it out, how she sort of clicked with people more deeply (and quickly), despite their outward demeanor. (I'm thinking of Xenocide and Miro especially.) Also, her relationship with Ender is definitely not a surface one alone - in fact they're probably closer to each other the whole time than they ever are to their spouses. Plus Val just seems Delta in general, from memory.

Ender could also be a Te/Fi type, but I'm less confident of that theory.

What makes you say ESTj for Graff?

I pity your souls

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not totally sure about Graff. He seems confident in Se, but he uses it reluctantly. When he gets Ender to lighten up a bit his Si shows. He's obviously not Ip, so Si creative would be most likely.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Wiggins Children roles do seem to correspond to different sort of roles found in the Quadras: Ender the Child (Alpha), Peter the Tyrant (Beta), and Valentine the Peacekeeper (Delta).
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting interpretation. Although Ender's role is not really childlike at all - isn't it supposed to be the opposite? Maybe he is childlike in the sense that he's subject to the agendas of adults.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting interpretation. Although Ender's role is not really childlike at all - isn't it supposed to be the opposite? Maybe he is childlike in the sense that he's subject to the agendas of adults.
    Well he is the Child in the sense that he mostly wants to just lead a normal life in his own personal leisure, but part of the Ender role is that he is the child with the adult intelligence and placed unknowingly into an adult situation. He is an INTj; he is mature while possessing childlike naiveté.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure that the age metaphor holds up literally in this case, but my interpretation of the story is that it's all about Ender confronting his Se PoLR, forcing himself to become a ruthless warrior in order to save humanity. Practically all of his real enemies (Bonzo, Stilson, etc.) are portrayed as Se-ego types.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure that the age metaphor holds up literally in this case, but my interpretation of the story is that it's all about Ender confronting his Se PoLR, forcing himself to become a ruthless warrior in order to save humanity. Practically all of his real enemies (Bonzo, Stilson, etc.) are portrayed as Se-ego types.
    While I agree with that, he obviously does not know that he is there to save humanity or who is actual opponents are. And by adult situations, I almost see that force as being represented by Gamma quadra. And the reason why is has to confront his Se-PoLR is because of all the adults who are forcing these ridiculous situations upon him and pushing him where he clearly does not want to be pushed. And part of the way that he is able to deal with his Se-PoLR and these Se opponents is through his use of creative- to beat the system of war games in highly unconventional ways, and ways which some of his superiors and opponents viewed as cheating. While it is about his confrontation with his Se-PoLR, by no means does he ever really embrace it. The only reason he becomes enthusiastic in the last of the games is the promise and his idea that these ridiculous games will finally end.
    Johari Box

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I'm in the process of reading this book at the moment on teh recommendation of Elro a while back - I've read about a hundred pages so far, but it's difficult because it's competing with a book about the cemeteries of London, a fiction book about the eruption of Pompeii in AD 79, and the latest Noam Chomsky (which is actually my 1st ). I'm also technically suppose to be working, but anyways...I agree that Ender (so far) is a Si quadra type fighting Se types - he watches the way people moves, and then expends energy efficiently to beat them - he is also good at beating people in non-violent ways (so they may not even know it was him). When he beats up Stilson, he doesn't do it because he wants to - he does it because it is better than what would happen if he didn't. He doesn't attack people unless they attack him first, and he slowly unites the Launchers together, rather than throwing his weight around (anyways, enjoying it whenever I can at the mo :wink.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Major bumpage, and it has been a while since I've read, but is it possible Ender was LSE?

I pity your souls

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LII is still far more likely.
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm, I read this book about 18 months ago, really liked it.

I only have an opinion on Ender and Valentine. She seems to be an ESFj, with Ender some logical type, although idk.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ender's game

Protagonist from Ender's game, what's his type?

I get some Beta from his "eat or be eaten" mindset and the power-struggle-rich setting in general.

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The movie?
    I want to say Ti/Fe over Te/Fi and Ni/Se over Si/Ne, maybe LSI, as he seemed pretty patient and observant, an introvert, yet IJ over IP because of this.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only read the book, but Harrison Ford seemed drunk in the trailer.