he only shows that he cares for people when it is vital to their survival - he doesn't help people who don't need to be helped or can help themselves - I think this is partly why he admires Seifer
I don't get why he you say he admires Seifer.

I think he resents weakness in others because he sees it in himself - to help with other peoples' weaknesses would expose his own weaknesses and leave him vulnerable. I think he avoids people not because he doesn't care, but because he feels he can't save himself (as well as his perceived failure to protect Ellone), let alone everybody else.
Ugh.... that is somewhat revolting way to look at his character.

What about the pride of doing everything on your own, because you have had no one else before? He is not looking for anyone else "I have come this far on my own". He has problems accepting that he needs other people, or enjoys relationships, but I do not think that is because he views himself as helpless. I cannot buy into that at all, or relate to that - when I say I relate to the character of Squall. It was all about being independent and prideful, not because "I cannot save myself, so I am going to cry in the corner, booo - hooo".

"Acetic. He toughens himself training for the cold, starvation, losses, and disapproval from others.", etc.