Thread: Types and Management-style

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Types and Management-style

Se-LSI: extremely hands off and occasionally generous to subordinates but expects a lot of mind reading, dislikes any sort of open communication that implicitly undermines their autocratic position, and gets upset if you ask a question in passing that might’ve been covered briefly during your orientation months ago or in some obscure page of the employee handbook. Creates a stifling environment for anyone who’s Te-seeking and just wants to quickly correct a mistake/fill in a gap in understanding and move on
    Last edited by Averroes; 12-16-2021 at 12:53 PM.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Notes from the Underground:

(texts from an EII engineer/draftsman regarding his anal LSI boss.)

1.)
    EII: Any chance you are available for a really short, really stupid question?
    Yep, it was another fun morning with Robert (the LSI).
    It doesn't get any better than that!

2.)
    EII: Robert wants me to give him an assembly, updated to his specs which only he knows, and do we have any previous drawings of that?
    --------------------------------Adam: Let me call you. That will be faster. (Adam explains to EII that LSI Robert doesn't hate him, rather he just needs to control the information around him to feel safe.)
    EII: OK. You know, that perspective does help.
    -------------------------------Adam: I have found it to be immensely useful.
    EII: It really does help to step back from my situation. He becomes laughable.

3.)
    EII: Sorry to bug you but I've got another trivial Robert issue. He wants me to assign a material to the obsolete seal screws. Are they brass, Stainless? I'm not certain it will ever matter but if I guess wrong he has the actual screws in his possession & will simply tell me "you are wrong. fix it."

4.)
    EII: Tearing this device apart and putting sub-assemblies into "drawing states" is like writing a technical manual for the general public. This is not only an enormous amount of work, it's bordering on the ridiculous.
    --------------------------------Adam: It is an enormous amount of work. I'm glad I'm not paying for it.
    EII: This would be a good job if I didn't have to listen to my asshole boss for 40-50 minutes every morning in my "Morning session with Robert."

5.)
    Text image from EII about his company from Glassdoor:
    Doesn't recommend company.
    Pros: Micromanagement and poor welfare.
    Cons: Not fairly treated, micro-managed.

------------------------------------------------Adam: Who could have written that?
    EII: Any one of the people working for Robert.

EII: I've come to the astounding conclusion that Robert is a complete dick.
    He's demanding what can't be done then changing things then slamming me for not doing the first task in the same time he wanted the changes implemented.
    I think I caught him in a mistake so now he's really going out of his way to show that I'm an idiot.

7.)
    EII: Robert's other ME quit a week ago. Now it's only me working for him. He has me working at the new place so he can feel like he has someone reporting to him. He's not here, himself.

8.)
    EII: News flash. Robert is an asshole to work for.
    My goal is to make it to next Thursday without quitting.
    But he's been coached to say "please" when he tells you to do endless minutia.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 12-17-2021 at 05:46 AM.

TIM
    ESI 4 sx/sp (459)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Creates a stifling environment for anyone who’s Te-seeking" hahahahaahhahahahahahaha. ILI boss today: "Thanks for a great semester (etc etc). This wouldn't have worked if you all had been like, 'hey, we need more structure'" me thinking, "Yeah, I've stopped going to ILIs expecting them to be LIEs. Mostly. I do still make Te asks here and there"

TIM
    ESI 4 sx/sp (459)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"expects a lot of mind reading" re. the SE-LSI -- sigh, Ne PoLR troubles, I believe. Communication can be thoroughly exhausting and challenging for me as well (not to sound too dramatic, haha)

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEE- like an absent parent (for line management). They think they’re really supportive but they barely communicate with you.
    Last edited by Bethanyclaire; 12-17-2021 at 10:42 AM.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

LIE: Usually respects fellow teammates, but can switch goals daily, which can create chaos and frustration. In the best cases, this can lead to new technologies and everyone getting rich. In the worst cases, it can scrap a project and the company.
    Needs an ESI to damp down the 4D Ne and get the LIE to focus on one clear path.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

LSE:
    Unsuccessful ones tend to micro-manage and want to document every detail. Tries to hide the fact that they think some bosses (and workers) are completely incompetent. There is a constant drive to simplify everything and a blindness to future opportunities.

Successful ones spend less time (but some time) telling you how to do your job, and more time running their business which, if they are successful, requires only perfecting long-established procedures and absolutely no foresight or innovation.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 12-17-2021 at 12:59 PM.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

SLE:
    Can be a sympathetic and understanding boss because they probably came up through the ranks and know what your problems are. Strong points are that they work hard and get things done. Can ignore research in favor of brute force experimentation, but this actually works about 60% of the time when applied by the relentless SLE.

Can miss potentially huge future opportunities if those are too different from the present path. Work best in the here-and-now, possibly better than any other type.
    Superb at seeing what is real, takes a “pound away at this problem until it yields” approach, but can inadvertently offend people and can’t always see the ramifications of their actions.

Needs an IEI to act as a guide to the future and as a mediator.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

SEE:
    Can be good at sales because they will try to upsell you, but only if they think you can afford it.

Can be good at hotel management because it involves interacting with people in a directing way. Much less good at managing a company which has employees who are above a minimum level and can easily find jobs where they are treated better.

Even the ones with technical degrees are not technically-minded.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 12-17-2021 at 02:04 PM.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ESE:
    Can run a small food court or restaurant if they have competent technical help. They want everyone to be in a good mood, but can apply a huge amount of pressure in the form of public shaming, so this limits the kinds of people they can successfully work with.

Can be bitingly critical of some people if they don’t like them.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

EII:
    Competent and dutiful at their jobs. May ask for frequent clarification and instructions.

As a boss, the stuffed animals have nothing to complain about.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

LII:
    As a worker, can seem lazy while actually getting lots done and meeting deadlines. Rarely voices their complaints, which they have in abundance. Does not seem to fight for advancement.
    As a boss, they can be extremely insightful as to the real situation. In this area of analysis, they really have no equals. But they try to control people through spreadsheets and agreements made in public meetings, which does not work for most people.
    They prefer to work alone and let their work speak for itself. This rarely works out for them. They care a great deal about their reputation but can’t impose their views on others.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 12-17-2021 at 02:03 PM.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

SLI:
    Staff officers, not line officers. Rarely rise to the top position in a company.
    Superb at organizing resources and allocating them. Probably have no equal in this regard in the Socion.
    As managers, they are fair and firm. They will treat people equally well and tend to value loyalty over competence, although they seem to able to find the most competent people in almost every situation.
    Like the LSEs, they want to make everything simpler. This seems to allow them to meet goals (when those goals have been trimmed of requirements) but this comes at the expense of a robust system. They tend to do the minimum that is required, but they do that well.
    Can appear lazy, but they meet deadlines.
    Are able to cut people out without a backward glance if they decide that they are wasting time or resources or are unresponsive to questions.

Their drive to simplify things and meet deadlines makes them prone to being very sure about something when they are very wrong. The remedy for this is to be their boss and not let them do stupid stuff.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ILE:
    As a manager, they have a really hard time delegating, because they want to be the best at everything themselves. This means that they usually are not managers.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

IEI:
    Can be very good bosses. Are unparalleled at understanding human problems and getting people to work through them. Rarely show that they are upset, and try to work with everyone on their terms, which seems impossible but they seem to manage to do it.
    Can be very good at money management in a company. They watch the resources closely to ensure that they use them all, and yet don't run out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I briefly worked at an independently-owned bakery for a really anxious woman (who I think was LII) -- she always looked like she was close to having a panic attack and spoke too quietly. Retrospectively, I still have some sympathy for her because I assume she had problems with anxiety, but her management style was so passive-aggressive that there was no justification for it. If you're too nervous to even give directions to someone's face, then outsource someone else to do it.

I would be working my shift and she'd wait for me to clock out and leave before sending me a passive-aggressive text along the lines of "Why didn't you do (insert some responsibility here)?" .... because you didn't tell me?? I'm not a mindreader?? It was always the sort of thing she should've instructed me when I was there but she would wait until I left. And since this was an independent business, there was no official payroll or direct deposit or anything like that, I frequently had to remind her to actually give me my paycheck.

I don't mean any disrespect to LIIs. I think they can be good workers, especially in research fields, and make for great colleagues -- but I don't think this type of personality is a natural fit for managerial or leadership positions.

TIM
    EII-1Ne 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    EII: Any chance you are available for a really short, really stupid question?
    I can’t even count the number of times I have said this exact sentence. Gracious.