Thread: What does it mean to value a function?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What does it mean to value a function?

It's never been out right explained...

So say I value , This would mean I would respect and like people who are calm and caring. I would want my environment to be one of peace, with a soft atmosphere.

Say I value , This would mean I respect and like people who are rowdy and willful. I want my environment to be one full of activity, with challenges here and there to keep it interesting. Being placid would not be psychologically pleasing.

Say I value , This means I respect and like people who easily show their emotions, and passions. I want my environment to be saturated with emotional activity, with either an intense atmosphere or a Happy-go-lucky one, either way, the mood has to be easily felt.

Say I value , This means I respect and like people who go out of their way to be conscientious and caring, people who try to get to know what I need and what I lik. I want my environment to be close-knit, more sentimental than emotional.

I openly admit I have no idea what I'm talking about. But is that what it means to value a function? It's about what you like in people and in your environment, right? I don't know. I'm open to correction. Just explain and show examples. Examples are always good.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

probably when most people talk about valuing a function they mean that the function is a quadra value.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think youve got it right. would you mind doing the other functions?

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you might value a "function" because you 'know' how to deal with reality by processing information in that part of your brain.

I could just be captain obvious…

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What does it mean to value a function?

Quote Originally Posted by ThePeddler
    It's never been out right explained...
    It's a good question. Perhaps Socionists haven't thought about it clearly enough (?). Obviously, defining what it means to value a function would be among the first things that ought to be defined.

Nevertheless, I think what is meant by valuing a function is that either one likes to use the function (although "using" a function may also bear more rigorous defintion), or one views that function as relevant to one's goals (i.e., something that assists what one is setting out to do, even if it's not something one likes to do oneself).

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Value as you can see how it's more useful than other people can. It's about how 'worthy' a function is, and since it's all psychological there's no right or wrong answers just what works best for you.

So for example putting it in a kinda way:

If I'm an ENTp I view as a true gift (because you can't buy a gift for yourself really like how it's lame to give yourself a nickname), and I'm so grateful when I get the gift that I want to return the favor with a gift of my own. I'm not sure how much is worth and it makes me uncomfortable when I have to ask the shopkeeper (my supervisor?) how much something costs, as if I can't read a price tag. I view as pretty expensive. I view pretty highly and I'm so naturally confident in it I know what is gonna sell and what isn't. I also can point out fake- really well or when people are bluffing about having strong . "This is not real gold!"

Then we have the saying 'another man's trash is another's treasure' which fits in beautiful with the word 'value' too I think.

I think it means value as in actual value. A spade is a spade with this one.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To put it most basically: Your mind and body don't grimace when people use the functions you value. Whereas when people use functions you don't value you have internal conflict of different natures depending the alignment of your functions.

That is how you can tell which functions you value! It expands beyond type. As for individual information elements, it goes like this!:

si - value comfort harmony, high quality goods/service, balanced internal state
    ti - logical consistency, internal consistency, discipline, deep study of issues
    te - business optimality, practical study of issues, what's good is what works attitudes

by the way, i think it's a bad sign we are still trying to get the root of each function. They are common and everyday. You see them everywhere you go, and you'd have to be autistic to miss them. Don't be afraid to discriminate a little bit-- you aren't in this world to like everything.

etc etc
    asd

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

value=need usually
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath
    my first instinct was to disagree, because I am a true elitist and I want everything to have the best quality. But then I had a momentary feeling that there's a difference - I buy expencive things because of reason. One of my mottos is: why buy a new cheap object every year when you could buy one really good object that you like a lot, that lasts 10 years.

Value - value imaginative people, the potential to become better in the future is almost as good as being good right now, talking about "could be" scenarios ("if there actually were aliens..."), letting the mind wonder to reach a conclusion, being calm about some events ("It was inevitable, so why react now.")
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina
    my first instinct was to disagree, because I am a true elitist and I want everything to have the best quality. But then I had a momentary feeling that there's a difference - I buy expencive things because of reason. One of my mottos is: why buy a new cheap object every year when you could buy one really good object that you like a lot, that lasts 10 years.

Value - value imaginative people, the potential to become better in the future is almost as good as being good right now, talking about "could be" scenarios ("if there actually were aliens..."), letting the mind wonder to reach a conclusion, being calm about some events ("It was inevitable, so why react now.")
    Of course. Everyone loves high quality goods! perhaps that should be omitted from the list. Or perhaps the reasons why you and an Si quadra type value the good is for different reasons. perhaps high quality goods need their own list of quadra perception.
    asd

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina

Of course. Everyone loves high quality goods! perhaps that should be omitted from the list. Or perhaps the reasons why you and an Si quadra type value the good is for different reasons. perhaps high quality goods need their own list of quadra perception.
    Se vs Si is an efficiency or value dichotomy. Efficiency implies effectivness so there must be a basis of minimum common value, however from there upwards there's usually a battle between Si and Se quadras
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like what the peddler wrote, makes sense. but it may be more complex than that.

you value functions because they are useful to you, they help you in some way. you don't value functions that you can't really use. you could easily see the utility of undervalued functions to others or to society but not for yourself.

but like with duals and activators, there's a symmetry and dynamic to the utility of each person's ego functions, so it's not a static thing as in "i always need a placid comfortable environment at every moment." sometimes what we need is an energized intellectually stimulating environment.

gamma environments leave me feeling pretty flat. i have to control myself to the nth degree in such environments. it's kind of like being at work all day. kind of like that movie about offices - can't remember the name.

i can get by in a delta environment, but it's boring and my connection to it puts me on the defensive. i feel like i'm under the microscope in this environment. like i can't get very far.

i connect pretty well in a beta environment, because it's exciting and dramatic and romantic and sort of like walking on the dark side or something - a bit dangerous.

i do well with other alphas because it's so much FUN!! lol

*just a little subjective experience here to keep it real*

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dee
    Quote Originally Posted by diamond8
    you don't value functions that you can't really use.
    4th is one of the two weakest functions though, but the person values help with it. as for the criticism, it takes it without hardship too. so maybe valuing a function is closely connected to experiencing discomfort producing (using it) or receiving (criticism, negative information) information on it.
    the person values help with the 4th function indirectly via the hidden agenda and dual seeking function. direct help to the polr never works. it only feels like harsh criticism.

ILE

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you don't value functions that you can't really use.
    4th is one of the two weakest functions though, but the person values help with it. as for the criticism, it takes it without hardship too. so maybe valuing a function is closely connected to experiencing discomfort producing (using it) or receiving (criticism, negative information) information on it.
    the person values help with the 4th function indirectly via the hidden agenda and dual seeking function. direct help to the polr never works. it only feels like harsh criticism.
    Sorry, I meant the 5th function. I'll correct that post. But I see what you mean. However, what about the other person's 8th function, isn't that what supposed to compensate/help the person with the weak and vulnurable 4th? I thought super ego block would be seeking help from the dual, but that it would not sort of be purposed partially or in full just for accomodation for the 4th vulnurability. Don't bother to build explanations because I currently lost interest in pursuing feedback on what I said in the previous post.
    dee, you are a trip!! hahaha

ILE

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It's quite simple. Do you value it as something that you use to work toward your personal goals... is it something you naturally enjoy, like heath said, if people use a function you don't like you tend to make a grimace like you want to take a poop on them. You can try to hide it but sometimes it's just clear - you see it all the time when you're more observant.

You can I suppose really like a function or kind of tolerate it in a very great way without valuing it, if your own culture does and you grew up a lot around it.

And it's also has to do with quadras not types, so it's probably easier to at least find your quadra first and what functions they value before you find your type, of course before you do THAT you have to understand the individual functions at first, but mehh that's too linear, just do what feels comfortable and see what meshes in well the most.

Expat once post a good example of vs. or maybe it was somebody else. Something to do with math or something... I'll try to find the thread for you.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About telling Ne/Si from Ni/Se...

These determine what the person considers 'normal' in terms of behavior, style, habits, etc.

Reasonables (Ne/Si) have a localized sense of normality. What they consider normal is very personal and possibly difficult to make sense of by an outsider. They are, however, more 'open' than Resolutes in terms of what they can take as normal behavior. Even if two groups of Reasonables have habits and behaviors that differ strongly, they can easily get along and learn and adapt to eachothers' abnormalities. A typical example of this, is Star Trek Voyager's Neelix (Alpha SF), who always quickly sets out to learn about the culture of any planet that his starship visits.

Resolutes (Ni/Se) have a non-local sense of normality, and as such they focus more on what is normal throughout all cultures and groups. Human nature is a very constant thing, so there are always factors that one can depend on to be normal whereever one goes. Nobody likes being beaten in a challenge, everybody has a minimal amount of respect before power, and nobody prefers being poor to being rich. Focussing on this kind of normality creates a mentality that from the outside may look rowdy and tough, but also mature and wise. It is less inclined to give in to illusions and takes time tested paths to success.

The only pitfall in regard to these that I'm aware of is that they are difficult to detect in people of an Ij temperament. The issue here being that Ij's have perceiving functions that are both creating and limiting. Creating perceiving means that they don't primarily depend on behavioral styles and habits for their success, prefering to let rules and official statements determine their actions. Limiting perceiving means they don't take initiative in choosing what kind of behaviors and habits they integrate in their personality. Together this means the person is very inert in terms of what behaviors he does and does not demonstrate. Finding out wether the person is then Reasonable or Resolute, becomes a matter of determining what kind of behaviors the person is open and adaptive to, and which he plain rejects.