Thread: Jung and Freud both talk about Id, ego and super-ego. Do you think they overlap in any way?

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Jung and Freud both talk about Id, ego and super-ego. Do you think they overlap in any way?

What do you think?

dewusional entitwed snowfwake VewyScawwyNawcissist's Avatar
    TIM
    NF 6w5-4w5-1w9 VLEF
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, if most people have the ID, and the Id is very similar in us bc thousands of years have given us the same human experience, and the super ego is how everyone interacts with each other as a mass
    i think the ego and the shadow work together by making u fake. u need to repress and manipulate some parts of u into the unconscious so that u act a certain way in the conscious mask
    https://linktr.ee/tehhnicus
    Jesus is King stops black magic and closes portals

self diagnosed ASD, ADHD, schizotypal/affective

Your face makes your brain and sociotype – how muscle use shapes personality

I want to care
    if I was better I’d help you
    if I was better you’d be better

Human Design 2/4 projector life path 1

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    What do you think?
    I havent seen Jung talking about super-ego. Do you have a link. However, he talks about the spirit, and that's essentially the same.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    I havent seen Jung talking about super-ego. Do you have a link. However, he talks about the spirit, and that's essentially the same.
    spirit the same as super-ego? wtf, super-ego is about people pleasing. Jung talks about the transcendent function, I think that's more spirit (which he used to think was intuition)

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycantrope View Post
    spirit the same as super-ego? wtf, super-ego is about people pleasing. Jung talks about the transcendent function, I think that's more spirit (which he used to think was intuition)
    I'll explain what I mean. Spirit is a fundamental psychological phenomenon were the person seems "inflated" or "possessed". We talk about spirit in "team spirit", "he has lost his spirit", "the spirit of the times". Also alcohol is called spirit because it puts you in an altered mood. Spirit is also associated with moving air, a wind. Basically the person is not entirely himself, like if you are playing sports in a team you still have your own psychological constitution but something is moving you so that you are "elevated" and act in ways that you wouldn't normally do. A "wind" is blowing through you, phenomenologically speaking.

In society, we become "possessed" and we have a social orientation, our focus, duties. One can contrast this with a depressed person, who seems to lack spirit.

I hope the connection to super-ego is easier to see now.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    Also alcohol is called spirit because it puts you in an altered mood.
    Alcohol is called spirits because it is a chemistry term referring to a distillate. The etymology goes back further than that, but that is the direct source.