TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbbds View Post
    I edited my post to include this:

I agree, but on the other hand, it’s equally ignorant and naive to ignore the persistent and pervasive systemic effects, and just how far-reaching they can become.

Just because your dad’s racial comments are relatively innocent (even on that level, it’s still limiting and hurtful), doesn’t mean all instances of racism are harmless or innocent. You shouldn’t feel like your experiences have been erased because of more violent instances.
    Hahaha, man that made me laugh. On some level you have grasped how these types think and speak. To those who oppose them, take note of this.

Nothing you say or do will satisfy them once they've labeled you as "them". Rationality? Reason? Truth? Justice? All vile concepts founded upon "White Supremacy" or "The Patriarchy". God I wish I was kidding here...

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by onfireee View Post
    well u know what they say...

while violence isn't the only answer, it is the final answer.

if i started a country and people started fighting/complaining i would say GTFO immediately. lol sorry but seeing what the US has become this is a horror film where the bad guy keeps coming back to life
    I've said that myself many a time. Yes, it is the "final" answer. However, that answer can backfire hard. Soren Kirkegaard put it best: "The tyrant dies, his rule ends. The Martyr dies, his rule begins"

The "final" answer might not turn out the way you'd think. Just putting that thought out there. Kill all who defy you might work very well in the immediate sense, but, well, sin makes you an idiot long term and thank almighty god for that .

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by End View Post
    Hahaha, man that made me laugh. On some level you have grasped how these types think and speak. To those who oppose them, take note of this.

Nothing you say or do will satisfy them once they've labeled you as "them". Rationality? Reason? Truth? Justice? All vile concepts founded upon "White Supremacy" or "The Patriarchy". God I wish I was kidding here...
    By “grasped how these types think and speak”, you must be referring to my ability to form coherent sentences and to have a point.

God was not as kind towards you with this, apparently.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a perfect example of how racial perception is mostly social.

To further demonstrate this point, a group of black American males wearing polished suits, holding suitcases and say wearing glasses would certainly not make most people feel threatened to walk by them. It’s about how people present themselves too and their posturing and vibes. But it’s not really a part of black American culture to be like that on their days off in the majority of cases, due to decades upon decades of oppression and a culture that was based in poverty.
    I don't know what kind of Dutch black guys my ex was talking about, but many Dutch black kids (and other kids just as well) have black American gangsta rappers for role models and try to imitate such personas ;-)

But it is true: presentation matters, and within presentation vibe is the most important thing. Over here in Holland discrimination is an even bigger problem for people of Northern-African descent (in Holland mostly Moroccan), than for people of sub-Sahara African descent. I happen to have a nephew whose father is Algerian, and because of that has the physical appearance of a 'Moroccan', and he has a North-African name, which is a disadvantage when sending a letter of email when applying for a job. But he dresses like a typical middle class millennial, and more importantly: despite the color of his skin and his curly hair, he vibes as a common middle class white Dutch guy of his generation, his innate cultural attitudes are completely 'white' (if there is such a thing, because there are many different subcultural groups among white people, and many of these groups practice social exclusion towards each other just as well!). He is what is often called a bounty bar: brown on the outside, white on the inside. And thus get access to 'white' networks. Networks that stay closed to people of different skin colors and cultural attitudes.

Another example: I am a white guy, was born in what was at the time one of the lowest social class neighborhoods of Amsterdam (which has gentrified since then). Like many white people from labor-class backgrounds I have worked my way up, both economically as well as culturally (the latter does more often than not not keep up with the first one). Despite all my efforts, the innate labor-class cultural attitudes I acquired when I was a kid, such as my commoner Amsterdam accent, are to some extent still there, and I know for a fact that those cultural attitudes prevent me access to certain white networks higher up the social ladder. When I meet people of other social backgrounds, I often notice I am quickly reduced to this stereotype of a Amsterdam commoner, and all the qualities I have acquired that are atypical for an Amsterdam commoner are simply ignored. I could wear the right kind of suits and shoes, get myself the proper haircut, and still will be singled out because I carry subcultural attitudes with me that are deemed incompatible with theirs. Does it bother me? It does, but I have come to the understanding that this is how life is. Get over it and make the most of it. (This is why I liked visiting the US: over there, liberal intellectuals cannot hear my commoner accent, and I am much easier accepted into their networks. Possibly also because I am an exotic European specimen, but nonetheless).

One thing we need to realize is that these mechanisms are very difficult to overcome, for many reasons. One of the most important reasons is explained by the sociological concept of social mobility. We need to realize that chances for intra-generational social mobility are, by definition, lower than inter-generational mobility. You might not climb more than one social stratum higher than what you were born in, but your kids might. Therefore it is best not to expect revolutionary changes from the current protests. Especially when you live in the US, because despite this ideal of the American Dream, the figures simply prove that chances for social mobility in the US are among the lowest in the western world.
    Last edited by consentingadult; 06-16-2020 at 02:00 PM.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    SLE
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For some perspective

Dave Chappelle 8:46

The title of the special is in reference to Derek Chauvin's knee on George Floyd's neck for a total of 8 minutes and 46 seconds

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Um.... do you not see the irony in saying that after a black guy was killed solely due to systemic racism? Lol

Granted the riots are ironic of course too in that light. But if it takes more threat of “final answers” to fight back and get more attention on the issue, then it certainly works.

Some rioting and destruction isn’t going to kill massive hordes of people. A few may be killed accidentally in collateral, but in the long term it would save countless more lives from being continue to be killed pointlessly.

Something needs to be done because people are tired of these issues. Peace doesn’t draw in enough urgent attention sometimes.
    Last edited by Computer Loser; 06-16-2020 at 01:55 PM.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Nevertheless, ambitious men will succeed in creating parties, since it is difficult to eject a person from authority upon the mere ground that this place is coveted by others.
    Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America, Book 1, Chapter 10
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I love Humanity for all it’s faults!
    I love black people and I was talking to a black guy when I was dating for weeks on the phone. I was hoping he would take the initiative and ask me out on a real date (face to face) but he didn’t and I found my husband shortly after.
    I think we would have gotten on well. He was LSE
    Don’t know why he took so long I figured he was in no rush maybe because of other reasons??? I’ll never know the possibility anyway

Yeah I love black people and I have said this here before which I got slammed for. They have been placed at a real financial disadvantage in this country
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by khcs View Post
    When was the last time you filled out a socionics or mbti test properly? You do not seem to know yourself.
    Look at my post count and how many years I’ve done this and which pros have typed me
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful sky View Post
    I love Humanity for all it’s faults!
    I love black people and I was talking to a black guy when I was dating for weeks on the phone. I was hoping he would take the initiative and ask me out on a real date (face to face) but he didn’t and I found my husband shortly after.
    I think we would have gotten on well. He was LSE
    Don’t know why he took so long I figured he was in no rush maybe because of other reasons??? I’ll never know the possibility anyway

Yeah I love black people and I have said this here before which I got slammed for. They have been placed at a real financial disadvantage in this country
    Interracial marriages can be challenging for the participants. Not for any interpersonal reasons between the partners, but because we swim in an ocean of racism and other people are going to be critical of your choices.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by khcs View Post
    Do not want to ruin your day.
    Seriously go learn the functions
    -

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by queentiger View Post
    Shout out to the time Maritsa (I think) said black people were SEEs
    most legendary quote of the forum

Banned
    TIM
    LIE-Ni VLEF
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love black people and I was talking to a black guy
    Was he an SEE lol

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

most legendary quote of the forum

Correction
    Many black people are SEE meaning you can find and date SEE among black people. It’s the culture of slavery in America. The slave drivers picked from strong able body men and women not scrawnier weak and fragile so it resulted in many SEE among our black culture. I hate to say that but it’s fact
    -

Banned
    TIM
    LIE-Ni VLEF
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correction
    Many black people are SEE meaning you can find and date SEE among black people. It’s the culture of slavery in America. The slave drivers picked from strong able body men and women not scrawnier weak and fragile so it resulted in many SEE among our black culture. I hate to say that but it’s fact
    Ahh, so you're saying SEEs make good slaves and black people are slaves?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Twisting my words as to get a rise out of me doesn’t work on me
    -

Banned
    TIM
    LIE-Ni VLEF
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twisting my words as to get a rise out of me doesn’t work on me
    Lol how did I twist your words that is exactly what you said?

Banned
    TIM
    LIE-Ni VLEF
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pirouette View Post
    Hate to butt in, but that's not what she said. She said:

I'm pretty sure that by this she means the culture of slavery required Se users > which led to black people valuing Se in present day. (Which I don't agree with so don't rope me into that). She's not a native English speaker which is fine, but I don't think she meant present tense when she said "it's the culture of slavery in America". She did say "The slave drivers picked" using past tense, after all.

Don't call yourself an EIE if you can't decipher patterns of the past correctly and what people meant, and don't derail the thread.
    The thread was already derailed you tard , I was very clearly being facetious. Sorry you couldn't decipher that.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

The thread was already derailed you tard , I was very clearly being facetious. Sorry you couldn't decipher that.
    Why do you continue to call people names when you don’t know them just because they disagree or correct you. You have abandoned issues and your attachment style maybe direction into you seeking some therapy
    -

Banned
    TIM
    LIE-Ni VLEF
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do you continue to call people names when you don’t know them just because they disagree or correct you. You have abandoned issues and your attachment style maybe direction into you seeking some therapy
    Oop just got diagnosed.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Oop just got diagnosed.
    I have securely attached style
    -

Banned
    TIM
    LIE-Ni VLEF
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have securely attached style
    I didn't ask. But I'm just wondering why you think it is ok for you to come in here and diagnose me with shit over the internet - let's be honest you barely know anything about me besides what I choose to post on this forum

Banned
    TIM
    LIE-Ni VLEF
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pirouette View Post
    Yeah you can claim all this tbh but none of this really makes sense, how can one be facetious while twisting words and not reading people's sentiments correctly in order to attempt to get a rise out of somebody. The "I was being facetious you dum dum" claim sounds like a clumsy tactic to save face. But I don't even care to pursue this further if this is the case since this is such a stupid and cowardly tactic.

Adios.
    Ah the old "I'm gonna call throw out a claim and say I don't want to pursue this further". I'm not the coward here lol.

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@ashlesha

Systemic racism refers to the way some now-old administrative structures for allocating resources in an area disadvantage some neighbourhoods more than others, and some groups more than others. It is termed systemic in part because it is impersonal, not "in your face".

Video using the example of 'red-lining' cities during urban planning:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrHIQIO_bdQ

In a nutshell, the city was subdivided into neighbourhoods designated more or less "good" (desirable to live in, to be invested in, to be preserved, etc.). This was done in the 1960s, if memory serves, and in a way closely correlated with the percentage of black residents. (I currently do not have info about the effects of such policies on others POCs.) A neighbourhood designated "good" had advantages: for e.g. a banker would check your address and use the 'quality' of your neighbourhood to decide whether to offer you a mortgage and at what rate. "Bad" neighbourhoods got fewer mortgages overall, and at worse rates, which residents spent longer repaying. Other disparities involve good distribution of public transport stops (e.g.: buses), grocery stores, and in one memorable example whether to build a highway across your neighbourhood.

The highway split that community in two and vastly decreased their quality of life (noise pollution, air pollution, harder to visit neighbours, kids might get run over). Obviously fewer people wanted to move next to a highway, which over time decreased property values. May also have consequences like fewer stops for public transports -> spend more time commuting/harder to get to job -> worse quality of life -> less time to argue with local admin about getting a better bus stop installed -> etc.

Some such disadvantages are also seen in rural vs urban areas, but that tends to not be called "systemic racism" because the phenomenon of cities sucking up resources and farmers/small towns being left to fend for themselves due to being far from, say, a big financial centre is seen as a separate dynamic with separate causes, even if the effects may look similar.
    Reason is a whore.

TIM
    LSI
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are interested in what BLM truly stands for, and are willing to look past the emotion-baiting name of the movement: follow the money.

Millions are being donated to BLM. Look into who, or what, receives the brunt of the money. There you will find the god they worship.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm definitely convinced systemic racism exists. I've read enough on the topic. I don't believe you can have the sorts of inequities we have in this society without it being structural. I think the people who are least interested in acknowledging this tend to be the elites on the right. They try to pretend it isn't real because if it were real it would mean they'd have to change their worldview and their stories justifying their wealth and power to themselves. Elites on the left tend to pay it lip service often, but may now be persuaded to do a little more like throw some money at things and change some public symbols, but I think they know deep down that their class (elites) perpetuate inequity in the world more than any other, that their class has disproportionate sway upon the lives of billions of people (and it's not right). That truth is one they don't want the discussion to get too close to.

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by inumbra View Post
    I'm definitely convinced systemic racism exists. I've read enough on the topic. I don't believe you can have the sorts of inequities we have in this society without it being structural. I think the people who are least interested in acknowledging this tend to be the elites on the right. They try to pretend it isn't real because if it were real it would mean they'd have to change their worldview and their stories justifying their wealth and power to themselves. Elites on the left tend to pay it lip service often, but may now be persuaded to do a little more like throw some money at things and change some public symbols, but I think they know deep down that their class (elites) perpetuate inequity in the world more than any other, that their class has disproportionate sway upon the lives of billions of people (and it's not right). That truth is one they don't want the discussion to get too close to.
    I aim this not merely at you (replied mainly because you were the last poster), but everyone in this thread. At this time in my humble opinion, not just in the USA, but all across the western nations something similar in pattern to the Russian revolution of 1917 is happening. If one is intuitive, the similarities will be clearly apparent:

The Russian revolution: https://youtu.be/cV9G1QUIm7w I sincerely hope we learn from history & do not repeat it, even if human history is cyclical in nature. The road to hell is paved by good intentions, we should remember this and try to look at the situation in a more detached and sober way.

This thread imo also needs this reminder:

Last edited by SGF; 06-16-2020 at 09:33 PM.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shotgunfingers View Post
    I aim this not merely at you (replied mainly because you were the last poster), but everyone in this thread. At this time in my humble opinion, not just in the USA, but all across the western nations something similar in pattern to the Russian revolution of 1917 is happening. If one is intuitive, the similarities will be clearly apparent:

The Russian revolution: https://youtu.be/cV9G1QUIm7w I sincerely hope we learn from history & do not repeat it, even if human history is cyclical in nature. The road to hell is paved by good intentions, we should remember this and try to look at the situation in a more detached and sober way.
    That video starts out with the massive suffering of the Russian people. It's not that they had a good thing and lost it. It's not that they paved a road to hell. It's that they were already in hell. I know less about other countries, but a lot of people in the US are in hell right now. Revolutions happen because the situation has become intolerable. The failings of the US system are that our supposed democracy is currently a plutocracy. The people are not sufficiently represented by their own government. We vote for corporations and their interests or wealthy people and their interests. They say they will throw us a bone or two but it is mainly all about them. I don't know what will happen but if the suffering of the people reaches too high a pitch the rest of the chaos to follow is inevitable. It's simply a sequence in a chain. I don't know if I believe violent revolutions will happen or not, but if they do, such things happen when a point is reached in which people just can't take it anymore. There's no way to prevent it other than fix the system before it comes to that. If a violent revolution occurs the system has already failed the people. That's what pushed them to revolution. Their alternative? Let that system continue to destroy them. They have nothing left to do but fight.
    Last edited by marooned; 06-16-2020 at 10:02 PM.

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That video starts out with the massive suffering of the Russian people. It's not that they had a good thing and lost it. It's not that they paved a road to hell. It's that they were already in hell. I know less about other countries, but a lot of people in the US are in hell right now. Revolutions happen because the situation has become intolerable. The failings of the US system are that our supposed democracy is currently a plutocracy. The people are not sufficiently represented by their own government. We vote for corporations and their interests or wealthy people and their interests. They say they will throw us a bone or two but it is mainly all about them. I don't know what will happen but if the suffering of the people reaches too high a pitch the rest of the chaos to follow is inevitable. It's simply a sequence in a chain. I don't know if I believe violent revolutions will happen or not, but if they do, such things happen when a point is reached in which people just can't take it anymore. There's no way to prevent it other than fix the system before it comes to that. If a violent revolution occurs the system is likely already broken.
    You are right, Russia was no sunshine and roses, however true hell really only came after the revolution. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn is a novelist who survived the humanity crushing system that came after the revolution, if you want to know and feel what it was like I recommend his books, they are quite good: https://www.amazon.com/Gulag-Archipe.../dp/1843430851

You are also right about there being many problems with the USA and the west in general, similarly to Russia back then.. however it can get much worse. As far as I know the US is a republic and republics are not democracies. The US is merely democratic aka you hold elections. A real democracy is what one would call a situation wherewhere the majority decides and the minorities have to accept the decisions. Democracies tend to not last if applied on a large scale, mainly would work for small settlements, like a village. They devolve into tyranny.. because ppl will eventually vote to take away the rights of the minorities. You see what secures your rights is force or power, without the will and power to enforce and defend your rights, you can lose them. You and I as individuals, we are at the mercy of whoever wields power.

The corporations are a problem, I agree. They siphon off skilled human resources from less developed nations through immigration, benefit from outsourcing, try to flood the labor market with unskilled labor so they can pay less to workers and have conned the environmentalist movement among many other moves such as spending resources to dictate politics, buy off the media, you name it... whatever increases short term profit at the long term expense of everything else it seems. To a corporate capitalist everything is a commodity.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are right, Russia was no sunshine and roses, however true hell really only came after the revolution.
    How can you say that. They were out in the streets marching for bread. They didn't even have enough to eat. There was nothing else they could do. They were powerless and dying, and the only option left was to fight. And when the political systems that followed also failed the people they revolted again. Since they currently do have a democratic system in place, it seems this upheaval has at least improved the situation since 1917. I don't really have firm views on different systems, other than my general point that when the powers that be fail the people, revolution is inevitable. Those powers would be wise to not push people to the extremes of desperation for the sake of their own selfishness.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread imo also needs this reminder:

Thats a cool illustration - which further illustrates still, nobody has refuted the central point; that systemic racism exists within the police force across the US, supported by statistical data (meaning intentionally going out of their way to kill/lynch black people, the accusation of BLM ).

In a nutshell,

in response people are arguing that
    1. systemic racism (in general by everyone) is real and affects everyone and that

2. its ok to destroy things because of this systemic racism, since we need to let things out and let nature take its course
    Last edited by Computer Loser; 06-17-2020 at 12:09 AM.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Intentionally going out of their way. Prove THAT.

Lol that's why I'm so annoyed by the idea that it's a feeling.

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can you say that. They were out in the streets marching for bread. They didn't even have enough to eat. There was nothing else they could do. They were powerless and dying, and the only option left was to fight. And when the political systems that followed also failed the people they revolted again. Since they currently do have a democratic system in place, it seems this upheaval has at least improved the situation since 1917. I don't really have firm views on different systems, other than my general point that when the powers that be fail the people, revolution is inevitable. Those powers would be wise to not push people to the extremes of desperation for the sake of their own selfishness.
    "Though communism has killed huge numbers of people intentionally, even more of its victims have died from starvation as a result of its cruel projects of social engineering." - Professor Stephen Kotkin (WSJ)

The overall range of deaths spans from 42,870,000 to 161,990,000 killed, with 100 million the most commonly cited figure. Something to think about.

From my observations over the years I concluded that the relations between political factions in the west have deteriorated severely. A civil war-like situation isn't as far fetched as it may sound at first. Many people seem to be out there acting on emotions that have reached a boiling point.

Thats a cool illustration - which further illustrates still, nobody has refuted the central point; that systemic racism exists within the police force across the US, supported by statistical data (meaning intentionally going out of their way to kill/lynch black people, the accusation of BLM ).

In a nutshell,

in response people are arguing that
    1. systemic racism (in general by everyone) is real and affects everyone and that

2. its ok to destroy things because of this systemic racism, since we need to let things out and let nature take its course
    I'm not American so I don't know the situation... but from the outside looking in (and this is not just my opinion) we seem kinda baffled as to how and why a known criminal has been turned into a "heroic martyr" that sparked an event that is spreading not only outside of the city it happened in, but throughout the west. To me it looks like the left in general just jumped on the opportunity to push a political agenda and the media is being used to whip ppl into a frenzy. I guess its election year in the US, but its spreading outside of it as well..

Destroying private and public property is not ok lol.
    Last edited by SGF; 06-17-2020 at 05:17 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not American so I don't know the situation... but from the outside looking in (and this is not just my opinion) we seem kinda baffled as to how and why a known criminal has been turned into a "heroic martyr" that sparked an event that is spreading not only outside of the city it happened in, but throughout the west. To me it looks like the left in general just jumped on the opportunity to push a political agenda and the media is being used to whip ppl into a frenzy. I guess its election year in the US, but its spreading outside of it as well..

Destroying private and public property is not ok lol.
    You're exactly right. 100%.

Honestly, I think we as people have reached a point of madness, tossing all reason out the door (as I've alluded to in the past, we've hit the titanic and it's just sinking now). Its what happens when evil progresses in human nature.

As a nation, we're spiritually lost, with no meaning and purpose to strive for - I think deep down people feel this and want to jump onto something to fight for ... But when you can't see truth, you actually destroy the very thing you're fighting for (literally)

There's this quote,

“When everyone is right, nothing is wrong. When nothing is wrong, we will have no concept of Evil when it stares us in the face”

I can see this "no concept of evil" affecting everyone.... It's deeply disturbing

Quite the tragedy.
    Last edited by Computer Loser; 06-17-2020 at 10:56 AM.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashlesha View Post
    For every 1 black person in the US there are over 4 white people. But for every 1 black person shot by police in the US, there are about 2 white people shot by police.

Black people are 13.5% of the US population, 25% of the armed people who are shot by police, and 50% of the unarmed people shot by police.
    Just thought this needed repeating if there was confusion about people doing things only because of the media or due to amorality (?)

Some of the killed had a life of criminality (that makes them poor martyr figures, but not worthless humans, of course). But the toughest one for me personally was Tamir Rice because my son was not much older and in the video he moved in the same way. The way little boys run.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not American so I don't know the situation... but from the outside looking in (and this is not just my opinion) we seem kinda baffled as to how and why a known criminal has been turned into a "heroic martyr" that sparked an event that is spreading not only outside of the city it happened in, but throughout the west.
    It’s because of the particularly shockingly brutal was he was killed, which was caught on video.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100...ath-video.html

Skip to 1:30 (or 4:00, if you’re short on time). I’m not American either and I thought he was just shot with a gun, but no, the reality was far more disturbing and inhuman.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I think George Floyd evoked a stronger outrage in large part because the cops couldn't say they were scared. Even with Tamir Rice, it could be excused because they thought he had a gun. (If you're unfamiliar with that story, he had a toy gun.) With Floyd, it obviously wasn't panic or anything and I think the casual nature of the lackadaisical killing on the video really popped the public.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashlesha View Post
    I think George Floyd evoked a stronger outrage in large part because the cops couldn't say they were scared. Even with Tamir Rice, it could be excused because they thought he had a gun. (If you're unfamiliar with that story, he had a toy gun.) With Floyd, it obviously wasn't panic or anything and I think the casual nature of the lackadaisical killing on the video really popped the public.
    The thorough video coverage of George Floyd’s death was also easier to viscerally experience, and spread virally over social media compared to that case (social media is also bigger now and is constantly growing, and people have been at home and able to watch). Out of sight, out of mind.

Right now, people have nothing better to do than to watch.

Edit: Not to mention the economic conditions right now with the coronavirus, and how already disadvantaged people will be particularly affected, and a disproportionate amount of black people in America are already living in poverty (due to the same systemic racism).

The US had basically fully primed itself for riots like this to occur.
    Last edited by sbbds; 06-17-2020 at 01:02 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by End View Post
    I've said that myself many a time. Yes, it is the "final" answer. However, that answer can backfire hard. Soren Kirkegaard put it best: "The tyrant dies, his rule ends. The Martyr dies, his rule begins"

The "final" answer might not turn out the way you'd think. Just putting that thought out there. Kill all who defy you might work very well in the immediate sense, but, well, sin makes you an idiot long term and thank almighty god for that .
    It was mostly an observation of how humans deal with conflict when you've exhausted all other options - not saying its the best option in all cases lol

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast