Thread: Julius Robert Oppenheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Julius Robert Oppenheimer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Robert_Oppenheimer

quotes:

"The history of science is rich in the example of the fruitfulness of bringing two sets of techniques, two sets of ideas, developed in separate contexts for the pursuit of new truth, into touch with one another."

"I can't think that it would be terrible of me to say — and it is occasionally true — that I need physics more than friends."

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. Our political life is also predicated on openness. We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress."

"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says, "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." I suppose we all thought that, one way or another."

"I believe that through discipline, though not through discipline alone, we can achieve serenity, and a certain small but precious measure of the freedom from the accidents of incarnation, and charity, and that detachment which preserves the world which it renounces. I believe that through discipline we can learn to preserve what is essential to our happiness in more and more adverse circumstances, and to abandon with simplicity what would else have seemed to us indispensable; that we come a little to see the world without the gross distortion of personal desire, and in seeing it so, accept more easily our earthly privation and its earthly horror — But because I believe that the reward of discipline is greater than its immediate objective, I would not have you think that discipline without objective is possible: in its nature discipline involves the subjection of the soul to some perhaps minor end; and that end must be real, if the discipline is not to be factitious. Therefore I think that all things which evoke discipline: study, and our duties to men and to the commonwealth, war, and personal hardship, and even the need for subsistence, ought to be greeted by us with profound gratitude, for only through them can we attain to the least detachment; and only so can we know peace."

"Everyone wants rather to be pleasing to women and that desire is not altogether, though it is very largely, a manifestation of vanity. But one cannot aim to be pleasing to women any more than one can aim to have taste, or beauty of expression, or happiness; for these things are not specific aims which one may learn to attain; they are descriptions of the adequacy of one's living. To try to be happy is to try to build a machine with no other specification than that it shall run noiselessly."

"We may be likened to two scorpions in a bottle, each capable of killing the other, but only at the risk of his own life."

"But when you come right down to it the reason that we did this job is because it was an organic necessity. If you are a scientist you cannot stop such a thing. If you are a scientist you believe that it is good to find out how the world works; that it is good to find out what the realities are; that it is good to turn over to mankind at large the greatest possible power to control the world and to deal with it according to its lights and its values."
    Last edited by silke; 05-16-2020 at 04:21 AM. Reason: fixed links

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think INTj fits Oppenheimer best.

There is this perhaps little-known episode I have read about in biographies of Truman, I'm quoting from memory.

Some time after the end of WWII, Oppenheimer had a meeting with Truman at the White House. At one point he said, "Mr. President, I have blood on my hands".

Truman replied, "It will all come out with a wash", and then, "I have blood on my hands, let me worry about that". After Oppenheimer left, Truman told his aide, "I don't want to see that fellow ever again".

This one episode may mean nothing. It may also mean that the Fe-dual-seeking Oppenheimer was trying to get some sort of "cheer up" response from the also Fe-dual-seeking ISTj Truman, who shot Oppenheimer down. If anything, Truman would expect an uplifiting input from Oppenheimer.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree tentatively with LII (based on pictures and the video).

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting note, there is a string theorist who VIs similarly... I'm saying INTj-ENTp for now ... or is it INTj-INTp? I need more information than just the passage on Wikipedia, off which I'm basing my analysis.

EDIT: Nevermind.
    It is with appreciation and gratefulness that I accept from you this scroll for the Los Alamos Laboratory, and for the men and women whose work and whose hearts have made it. It is our hope that in years to come we may look at the scroll and all that it signifies, with pride. Today that pride must be tempered by a profound concern. If atomic bombs are to be added as new weapons to the arsenals of a warring world, or to the arsenals of the nations preparing for war, then the time will come when mankind will curse the names of Los Alamos and Hiroshima. The people of this world must unite or they will perish. This war that has ravaged so much of the earth, has written these words. The atomic bomb has spelled them out for all men to understand. Other men have spoken them in other times, and of other wars, of other weapons. They have not prevailed. There are some misled by a false sense of human history, who hold that they will not prevail today. It is not for us to believe that. By our minds we are committed, committed to a world united, before the common peril, in law and in humanity.
    First let's isolate the functions by role.

"Today that pride must be tempered by a profound concern." - Estimative

"If atomic bombs are to be added as new weapons to the arsenals of a warring world, or to the arsenals of the nations preparing for war, then the time will come when mankind will curse the names of Los Alamos and Hiroshima." - This statement is filled with controversial/aggressive information, definitely personal knowledge.

"The people of this world must unite or they will perish. This war that has ravaged so much of the earth, has written these words." - Who can argue with this? Definitely determination.

What is pride? What is concern? Pride is a constant, wherase concern is a reinforcing cyclical presence of experience. vs

"If atomic bombs are to be added as new weapons to the arsenals of a warring world", If? What about when? This must be Also, arsenals are definitely internal statics of a "warring world" object.

"or to the arsenals of the nations preparing for war, then the time will come when mankind will curse the names of Los Alamos and Hiroshima." Definite reference to evolution, discrete reference to time.

"The people of this world must unite or they will perish. This war that has ravaged so much of the earth, has written these words." Union of people... this sounds more than . Certainly a ravaging war is an internal dynamic of the earth considered as an object. Secondly, those "written words" remain in our subjective perception.

So in socionics terms he is, INTp. Do you remember his correspondence with Jung?

Offhand, one thing I think is probably worth mentioning, is that evolution seems not be an IM concept. That is, not actually related to socionics as we describe it. Rather, it seems to be an actual direction of energy over time that isn't actually metabolised. It is an outcome, as opposed to a calculation. It won't help you type someone. However, looking for signs that a person is considering distinct points of activity on a time line, definitely will.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    I agree tentatively with LII (based on pictures and the video).
    Same for me.
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

TIM
    ISTP
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILI-Ni

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My guess is ILE. He was known for being emotionally unstable and seems more extraverted in this video.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Julius Robert Oppenheimer

Last edited by khcs; 05-19-2020 at 08:00 AM.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

ILE-Ti 9w1 so/sx

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish smoking was healthy so that I could look as cool as the 2nd pic.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    I think INTj fits Oppenheimer best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post

There is this perhaps little-known episode I have read about in biographies of Truman, I'm quoting from memory.

Some time after the end of WWII, Oppenheimer had a meeting with Truman at the White House. At one point he said, "Mr. President, I have blood on my hands".

Truman replied, "It will all come out with a wash", and then, "I have blood on my hands, let me worry about that". After Oppenheimer left, Truman told his aide, "I don't want to see that fellow ever again".

This one episode may mean nothing. It may also mean that the Fe-dual-seeking Oppenheimer was trying to get some sort of "cheer up" response from the also Fe-dual-seeking ISTj Truman, who shot Oppenheimer down. If anything, Truman would expect an uplifiting input from Oppenheimer.

This quote is old and Expat doesn't post here anymore, but I will comment on this because it's glaringly obvious to me that this is not Fe seeking behavior.

I
    have blood on my hands, let me worry about that. Sounds like a very gamma NT thing to say.

Fe-seeking in alpha would have sought merriment as a way to reassure themselves but this is not what Oppenheimer did as per this story - he clearly stated his territorial limits as to how it pertained to his conscience. Note his conscience depends on his own judgement and not on his environment, which to me indicates Fi values.

Also, Truman didn't shoot Oppenheimer down - Truman clearly seems to have been the one who felt shot down. Truman clearly felt uncomfortable with a man who had a sense of integrity. How could anyone answer something like that, anyways? There is nothing left to say.
    Last edited by WVBRY; 05-18-2020 at 08:31 PM.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

In this interview, Oppenheimer seems like a cross between Bezos and Dr. Evil.

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ave View Post

This quote is old and Expat doesn't post here anymore, but I will comment on this because it's glaringly obvious to me that this is not Fe seeking behavior.

I
    have blood on my hands, let me worry about that. Sounds like a very gamma NT thing to say.

Fe-seeking in alpha would have sought merriment as a way to reassure themselves but this is not what Oppenheimer did as per this story - he clearly stated his territorial limits as to how it pertained to his conscience. Note his conscience depends on his own judgement and not on his environment, which to me indicates Fi values.

Also, Truman didn't shoot Oppenheimer down - Truman clearly seems to have been the one who felt shot down. Truman clearly felt uncomfortable with a man who had a sense of integrity. How could anyone answer something like that, anyways? There is nothing left to say.
    The quote you're mentioning came from Truman. The first half was from Oppenheimer, which Truman repeated. Read more carefully next time.

Truman was trying to absolve Oppenheimer of responsibility by taking it on himself.

Truman didn't want to see Oppenheimer again, because he didn't like his expression of guilt.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. He might have been ISFP and not ENTJ.

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Professional IEI Identifier on a peaceful hiatus's Avatar
    TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...mer_robert.png

ethical and Ni base. no wonder christopher nolan makes a film about him
    my ideas about socionics:

https://soziotypen.de/thoughts-on-socionics/

the section will be updated ever other month or so.

this is a VI thread with IEI examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...-(IEI-edition)

and this is a thread with EIE examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...s-EIE-examples

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alive View Post
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...mer_robert.png

ethical and Ni base. no wonder christopher nolan makes a film about him
    did you watched the docu above ? It's fascinating !
    Lack is the Muse of all Poets

Professional IEI Identifier on a peaceful hiatus's Avatar
    TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by godslave View Post
    did you watched the docu above ? It's fascinating !
    I might do that. typed him years ago.
    my ideas about socionics:

https://soziotypen.de/thoughts-on-socionics/

the section will be updated ever other month or so.

this is a VI thread with IEI examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...-(IEI-edition)

and this is a thread with EIE examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...s-EIE-examples

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by godslave View Post
    There seems to be good amount ILI communists. It is pretty funny to think about it but I have discovered far too many to not think about some sort of connection. You see Gamma should value certain freedom but if your path is blocked due to your background then communism may sound like a wonderful option. Plus their Fi might make them become like that too if the environment has pressed them to think about it. Sainthood to their values from Fi, submission from Ni.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Here is his hypnotic speech
    https://youtu.be/Vb3L_YDZzv8?t=646
    https://socioniks.net/en/article/?id=67
    The two subtypes ILI rather differ from each other in the manner of communication. The logical variant in communication often shows activity and assertiveness. Sometimes it is even pointedly rude and vulgar. However, such brusqueness can’t be maintained for a long time; it slumps. The Intuitive subtype of ILI communicates gently, unobtrusively, and with a smile. Leaves behind the general impression of an intelligent, well-mannered person. If he needs it, he can ask very kindly, culturally, and his request is usually answered. The manner of speech, especially during speeches, is often sluggish and drawn out. This manner of speaking is hypnotic. He well notices and pays attention to inconsistencies and contradictions in any theory or views.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine Miasma View Post
    Excellent unintentional ASMR indeed !

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

mb INFP

in a movie is played by Cillian Murphy (INFJ)

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I haven't seen the recent movie but I'm watching the 1980 dramatization about him at the moment, and also I'm somewhat familiar with his work (Hiroshima, Nagasaki etc.).

He seems to have been a bit of a ditherer, so perhaps a rational type, described as very sociable by others and was interested in political causes while never being officially a member of the Communist Party. Obviously very intellectual, but seems to have often been unaware of the wider world outside his own social bubble (could just mean that he didn't read the newspaper, watch the news, listen to the radio etc.). Not afraid of having affairs with married people, even if he didn't necessarily find new close relationships easy. Some might say that's evidence of weak , I don't completely buy that, or at least, that's not how I'd explain his personality. I'm probably leaning towards ILE at the moment, but I could see IEE, IEI, ILI even too. Probably pretty similar to Einstein really.