Thread: The irrational/rational dichotomy

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The irrational/rational dichotomy

My take is irrational/rational relationships are destined to kinda suck. Even though I'm an irrational type I def recognize that rationals are necessary in a grip of ways. However, I still hesitate to date my activity (EIE) cause I believe they decide too quick. I'd probably date (not marry) a mirage before I did an activity.

I'm wondering if others have a similar experience on this one.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I agree with this.

I’ve seen a lot of j/p relationships and they always seem like the house looks mostly OK from the outside, but the foundation is broken.

As if, when you dive really deeply into the relationship, there are fundamental and unfixable differences.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Irrational and rational have unfortunate dictionary meanings; the so-called dichotomy should be labelled input (p) and output (j) oriented respectively. It's difficult for these two orientations to remain on the same path, have non-conflicting approaches or methods, and or have similar measures of achievement or success unless there's a governing authority. They can have very similar interests but usually for very differing reasons. Some pairs start out well together, which can be maintained while they remain independent of one another, but when they become dependent on one another, they see that they view life completely differently. Mirror pairs are the poster-children of this dichotomy.

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelondeck View Post
    Irrational and rational have unfortunate dictionary meanings; the so-called dichotomy should be labelled input (p) and output (j) oriented respectively. It's difficult for these two orientations to remain on the same path, have non-conflicting approaches or methods, and or have similar measures of achievement or success unless there's a governing authority. They can have very similar interests but usually for very differing reasons. Some pairs start out well together, which can be maintained while they remain independent of one another, but when they become dependent on one another, they see that they view life completely differently. Mirror pairs are the poster-children of this dichotomy.

a.k.a. I/O
    I know three or four ESI-ILI marriages and one LIE-SEE marriage, and they got together quick and now are showing contempt for each other. All of them.

I have a ton of ILI friends. I like them. I dated an ILI female for a while and I really liked the way her mind worked, but I really, really couldn’t imagine being married to her.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Activity > mirage imo. I would never date my mirror.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Poptart View Post
    Activity > mirage imo. I would never date my mirror.
    I've had far better casual relationships with mirage partners than with activity. I would expect that mirages find me overly distant while I find a lot of them aggressively opinionated. Now, most activity partners seem find me downright irritating while I find many of them overly defensive, with few opinions of their own and or easily insulted or hurt; however, relationships with them weren't nearly as bad as those with mirrors. Mirrors tend to think that their partners are doing it all wrong and should be stopped.

a.k.a. I/O
    Last edited by Rebelondeck; 04-30-2021 at 05:26 PM. Reason: grammar

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not exactly singing the praises of mirage here. Just find that the j/p (or rational/irrational) dichotomy matters in close distances. After working with both an Fe dom (EIE) & a Ti dom at my job (I'm an SLE) for some time, their J preference becomes irritating. Meanwhile, the two mirages (Fe subtypes) at work flow better

I'd say people on the net overrate activity. Mirrors have the J preference but are also redundant. They simply repeat crap you're already aware of.

Again, nothing against J's. Society needs 'em for sure

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you folk actually deal with the rational/irrational dichotomy? I'm guessing people gotta adapt. Personally, that dichotomy just irritates me. Rationals serve the world in a decent way but one has to be careful choosing intimate partnerships.

This is a decent thread topic, if you're interested
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...tivity-partner

TIM
    IEI-Fe(C)
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My parents are matching subtype activity partners but they have a happy marriage (ILI-Ni, ESI-Se). They also each come from different cultures but deep down their values and lifestyle are very similar. I've actually started noticing when there are type related clashes that duality would solve (j/p for example), but for NTR reasons they stick well.

Personally J/P is the one thing i'm not very innately perceptive about in socionics, for whatever reason. i seem to pay much more attention to valuation than temperament.
    in terms of general relationships (platonic or otherwise) i do know i prefer Pe individuals, but I've been rather close to Pi and Ji individuals in the past.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hmm but in another thread didn't you say that IEIs can annoy you cuz we decide too slowly? So what amount of time exactly would be the sweet spot for somebody making a choice that would be appealing/sexy to you? lol

Anyways I think all relationships are destined to suck until they don't. I don't think it makes much difference one way or another.

Banned
    TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BandD View Post

Anyways I think all relationships are destined to suck until they don't. I don't think it makes much difference one way or another.
    Do you mean that they will suck until you find some sort of unspoken understanding of how to be around each other? Or do you mean that they suck until you meet the right people who you get on better with?

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Do you mean that they will suck until you find some sort of unspoken understanding of how to be around each other? Or do you mean that they suck until you meet the right people who you get on better with?
    Both, really. Finding the right people is important but doing the former takes effort and practice and more nuanced finesse.

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm but in another thread didn't you say that IEIs can annoy you cuz we decide too slowly? So what amount of time exactly would be the sweet spot for somebody making a choice that would be appealing/sexy to you? lol

IEI annoy me most when they persist in Ni delusion. If a particular path is really important to an IEI, its their responsibility to research & investigate instead of running through first like a chicken with its head cut off

There's no rule I just dig it when IEI honestly give a shit about their life choices. If you're 30 don't have the psychological maturity of a retarded grade school kid

There's a reason pets exist. They kinda make better friends than people sometimes.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

They kinda make better friends than people sometimes.
    Sometimes?!

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes?!
    Legit LOL