Thread: the ping pong guy

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default the ping pong guy

i'm generally not interested in reading long-winded posts with someone's third person account of someone to type. but i this guy is just too much of a character and i feel a little bit excused about needing to talk and get it out of my system.

my IEI ex's long-term friend. he works full-time (ie whenever he wants to) as a tree-trimmer and he just freelances on his own terms with a chainsaw and he nonchalantly hangs from branches with his knees waving blades and gets things done. i don't know a lot about his financial situation but he doesn't have a mortgage because he inherited his parents house. and he occasionally rents and/or donates it out to people who need it, but often they have reasons for being in need that causes issues with him keeping them in the house. and he sometimes has issues with the house because the city doesn't like it that he doesn't really maintain his yard or keep up with things. i brought him up before on this forum in random thoughts and somebody suggested SLE, which i thought made a lot of sense, mainly having heard about him from my IEI ex.

lately i've been spending more time around him and i've played ping-pong with him a couple times, and SLE isn't out of the question, but he would be *extremely* unconventional. i don't know what else to consider, other than ILE. i don't have any issue with him. i'm quite charmed, BUT i don't really know what to make of him, i see him as a bit of an enigma. which works with him being my conflictor. but also works with him being quite odd. but hey, that would make sense for an ILE anyway, right? there's absolutely no sense that he might be an LIE or duality confusion, or anything of that sort whatsoever. i guess if i had to characterize our interactions, it would be a description of people ambiently enjoying the Fe breeze, pretty genuinely, if from from a clearly distant perspective.

tonight i went down to play ping-pong with him and my ex and he sat for a moment to adjust himself in a small childrens classroom plastic chair.
    (it was a chair that he had brought into our basement after finding it in a random dumpster on the way to our place. he occasionally brings things of that sort.)
    (he always bikes about 10? city miles to visit for a couple hours and then bikes back)
    (he broke his pelvis when he was hit by a car biking recently and he pushed his luck a bit while he was out of service and still championed through)

anyway, after getting up to hit the ping pong ball with me, he stayed in the tiny chair while he did so. he grunted like he was physically uncomfortable, as he usually does (i more often hear it from upstairs). i believe his discomfort at the time i hear it, because it matches his presence. he's not a man who displays his fitness. he looks like a man who would take things from random dumpsters and keep random transients in his unkempt house. he's balding with uncut hair and wearing unkempt clothing. but he grunts like he's out of shape - why? it isn't until i sit down and think about him that i think, wait....he's obviously a fit man. wtf?

sorry for weirdness, but i feel entirely comfortable around him and always have, because he vibes very blatantly as genuinely asexual. he doesn't say anything about such things. not hooked into that whole brand of "weirdness" whatsoever.

he joked about being in the chair because he was in the wheelchair ping-pong championships. he confidently played from the little chair with IEI and i doubled on the other side, and did just fine trading left-right to play us both (but has been playing ping pong for decades longer than me lol).

what else? i often hear about him in reference to love for a thrift store that offers a price per bag

pls respond thank u!!!!!

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I first thought SLE too, but then thought IEI. My IEI brother-in-law loves to chain saw tree branches, and he works whenever he feels like it (which is not much), because he's married to my six-figure income sister.

When you said he sat in an infant's chair, I thought, ILE, but if you don't think so, then IEI is more likely. IEI's often are attracted to ILEs and to other IEIs, because "they understand each other's uniqueness".

His poor dress presentation could well be the IEIs typical obliviousness to the environment, especially if he's IEI-Ni.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

He sounds a bit like my stepdad. Well it's one of my mom's ex-boyfriends, calling him a stepdad is inappropriate but it's the closest thing to a stepdad I really ever had so I call him that sometimes (and we did hang out a few times and I helped him do some jobs at his house)

I would put him in the alpha quadra not Beta. It seems Alpha-weird not really Beta-weird. He even sounded SEI to me at times and kinda BionicGoat-ish...which is an emotional type- and some of his ahem 'straight male gruffness' for lack of a better phrase lol could be attributed to him being good at logical/mechanical things like chainsawing and ping ponging rather than being a T type. It's not like I think SEIs cry in the corner and knit. That's more what I would do - lol j/k (Kinda), but I mean they are sensors after all despite being feelers. Something about him seems 'down to earth' rather then theoretical in your head- or at least how u described him.

Plus I think most ILE males are too wimpy and cowardly to even operate a chainsaw but that's my own personal biases and maybe not correct. Anyway SEI or ESE doesn't seem all that far-fetched to me.

SLI is another possibility maybe - that sort of messy unkemptness and not really caring ... Beta/Gamma feels a lot more 'polished' than Alpha/Delta does in many ways. Most SLIs I know are a lot more professional-y than that tho.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What would be unconventional about SLE for him? Also, can you make out whether he’s Fe or Fi-valuing? That’s usually the easiest dichotomy for me.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

It's a joke to hope to get correct type without normal typing info as video and mb additiona lquestionnaire.
    It's better to give a test.

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    can you make out whether he’s Fe or Fi-valuing? That’s usually the easiest dichotomy for me.
    to understand values is harder than strong functions and 4 dichotomies

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    What would be unconventional about SLE for him? Also, can you make out whether he’s Fe or Fi-valuing? That’s usually the easiest dichotomy for me.
    A couple things stood out to me as leaning away from SLE. The way he puts on a show to seem less physically capable than he is. But maybe the ethical positioning of what I'm seeing there would apply to ILE too. Another thing is that he very ostentatiously does everything in an in unconventional way. From the way he makes a living to the way he plays ping pong. I'm not polr hit because nothing is being asked of me. But what else would u call that but Ne?

As for Fe or Fi, can't explicitly read on him but I can read myself as I interact with him and I know that the vibe field I find myself reflexively engaging in is Fe. Take that for what you will.

I'm digging the bg comparison and the thoughts presented by @BandD <3

Based on what you've said, sounds like a guy who is primarily interested in sensory stuff (trimming trees and ping pong). He definitely sounds eccentric, but eccentricity is not enough reason to suppose he's Ne base or creative (and the dangling with chainsaw seems to suggest otherwise). Does he seem extraverted? What about an introverted ST - either SLI or LSI?

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashlesha View Post
    i guess if i had to characterize our interactions, it would be a description of people ambiently enjoying the Fe breeze, pretty genuinely, if from from a clearly distant perspective.

he grunted like he was physically uncomfortable, as he usually does (i more often hear it from upstairs). i believe his discomfort at the time i hear it, because it matches his presence. he's not a man who displays his fitness. he looks like a man who would take things from random dumpsters and keep random transients in his unkempt house. he's balding with uncut hair and wearing unkempt clothing. but he grunts like he's out of shape - why? it isn't until i sit down and think about him that i think, wait....he's obviously a fit man. wtf?

sorry for weirdness, but i feel entirely comfortable around him and always have, because he vibes very blatantly as genuinely asexual. he doesn't say anything about such things. not hooked into that whole brand of "weirdness" whatsoever.
    Appearing/pretending more weak than he is and not talking about his own sexuality suggests alpha. Other things could point out multiple types. He might be irrational because he clearly is going with the flow, there is an apperant lack of structure in his life in different areas. He might be S>N because you mentioned him being engaging in S not N as it is suggested on this thread, but he might be N and you might be giving S info because you are S.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait is it literally that he was in pain due to pelvis injury and found a perfect chair for himself to remedy it on the way over? that sounds pretty Si to me, like it's actively being resourceful for the sake of one's physical well being in a spontaneous way. a 4d fct has all the powers and it's easy for it to find solutions on the fly.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by inumbra View Post
    Wait is it literally that he was in pain due to pelvis injury and found a perfect chair for himself to remedy it on the way over? that sounds pretty Si to me, like it's actively being resourceful for the sake of one's physical well being in a spontaneous way. a 4d fct has all the powers and it's easy for it to find solutions on the fly.
    As far as I know, the pain is over. I asked IEI if he was just doing it to take it easier on me as we played, and he shrugged. Dunno