Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default More on Instinctual Variants

The three Instinctual Variants (a.k.a. the Instincts) work in conjunction with a person’s Enneagram type, and weigh roughly equal to Type in terms of influence exerted on the personality. Each of us is subject to a hierarchy of Instincts as they’re stacked in order of predominance (i.e.- the stackings, of which there are six possible combinations in total). The predominant Instinct (the highest or first in the stacking) makes up the majority volume of a flux coursing through the Type’s infrastructure, animating and augmenting our type’s fixation.
    Discerning the Instincts as they move and operate in us (and others) is often less simple than recognizing one’s Enneagram type, partly due to the Instincts’ nature as perpetual flux…in contrast to the relatively more static quality of the Enneagram type structures. As alluded to above, the relationship between Type and the Instincts is something analogous to a house (our Enneagram type) with a characteristic energy current (the Instincts) whooshing through its duct-work. So, to be discerning the Instincts at play is to be observing the Type fixation in operation as well, and vice versa.

Self-Preservation

(SP): This Instinct’s “eye” habitually lands on the various conditions of the physical self – ‘me’. Concerns here are around shelter, food, health, finances. And the immediate tactile environment (hot/cold, light/dark, dry/humid, clean/dirty, quiet/loud, etc), which can translate to prominent perceptions about the emotional charge of a given space, the intangibles of a setting: inviting/disturbing, familiar/haunting, enticing/disquieting. The SP-dominant person, on some level, continually monitors his gauges, weighing how much energy output, for example, will be required for a given action or interaction with others. Also places value on cultivating resources – money, tools, time, practical know-how, material provisions, etc. – stockpiling for future expenditure in service of survival and comfort. Worth is placed on ‘getting things done’ and building or acquiring things that will last. The majority of the World’s population is SP-dominant, also referred to as SP-first to indicate the highest totem in the Instinctualstacking. This overall global predominance of SP is one reason we see the general public so easily swung around on the end of a stick by news of natural disasters and imploding financial markets.

Sexual

(SX): Besides the hunger for sex itself, this is the ‘need for speed’, the hunt for ‘juice’, excitement/intensity as a narcotic, pushing the envelope, seeking that peak something. Also, ‘the World as a mating dance’, compelled to broadcast beautiful attractive ‘colors’, casting a net (or a pheromone) out for that special someone to complete an electrical circuit, a nose for the individualized scent of the soul we long to burn our imprint into, and they into ours. Chemistry, not intimacy. Involuntary attraction and repulsion. Archetypally, this Instinct rules the alchemical processes, transformation/transmogrification, base metals into gold, phoenix rising from the ashes, the wild-eyed shaman whirling in fire and blood and radical rebirth. Some authors have sought to tame this Instinct with new names, such as Intimate or one-to-one, butany attempt at reworking the Instinct into something righteous/spiritual/romantic misses the mark: the Sexual Instinct is raw unbridled wanting, untethered by ethics/morality. It’s reckless. A live wire longing to burn…and be burned to death. The classical image of Eros’s arrow (erotic attraction) shot through the heart accurately alludes to the danger here: potential ruin and destruction under the guise of Love.

Social

(SO): Here, the eye lands on the health of the collective, building mutual support, being for someone or some group, affiliating, co-creating, participating, contributing, involvement. Bonding and relationship-building belong in this category, not with the Sexual Instinct. Social gives us the ‘intelligence’ to read people, adapt to them, communicate and interpret subtleties. All language, words, verbal exchanges fall under the purview of this Instinct. SO can go low though: It burns witches at the stake, exterminates populations that are deemed ‘diseased vermin’, or can be consumed with status/rank/respectability/pedigree/reputation/strata/sovereignty. But otherwise, wholesome cleanliness and the ‘white light’ Apollonian elements of order, law, history, medicine, government and lofty eternal principles reside in the Social department. According to evolutionary biology, this Instinct is the latest to have emerged, the ‘more advanced’ Instinct, i.e.- the stuff of Humanity, altruistic vision, goodwill, the ‘higher good’. Social is the bodily sensation of not being a closed circuit. The link from instinct to emotion, inspiring animals to care for their young; this is the parenting instinct. The connection to history and participation in the human journey.
    ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠
    Conceiving of the Instinctual Variants as elementslends insight into the nature of their various processes and styles of movement:
    sp = earth / matter
    sx = water / fire, (higher vibrations) ice / electricity
    so = fresh air, wind & sunlight

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Seen this before and yeah, this is one of the best descriptions out there for the instincts and in line with how I view them.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

uhm I found these frills :

So/Sx– Mechanical energy -> Chemical energy (-> = then)
    Focus on the interaction of things, and how their “chemical energy” influences these interactions. They use their “chemical energy” to help them interact better. They seek a bond with everything they interact with.

Sx/So– Chemical energy -> Mechanical energy
    Focus on the chemistry of things, and how their “mechanical energy” influences the chemistry between them and others. They may rely on interactions to help their “chemical bonds” remain stable (such as asking a friend for advice on the relationship, as well as interacting with the right objects to help the relationship remain stable).

So/Sp– Mechanical energy -> Potential energy
    Focus on the interaction of things again, but then they also focus on their fitness, and how fit those interactions are. Use their fitness as a away of reinforcing the strength of the interactions as well (“I will do better at work if I am well-suited”).

Sp/So– Potential energy -> Mechanical energy
    Focus on their fitness, while also focusing on the interaction of things. How those interactions affect their fitness. They may, for this reason, seem more business oriented. (“If I take that offer, it might help me more”).

Sp/Sx– Potential energy -> Chemical energy
    Focus on their fitness, as well as the chemical bonds they’ve developed with people. They also focus on how those chemical bonds affect their fitness.

Sx/Sp– Chemical energy -> Potential energy
    Focus on their chemical bonds, as well as fitness. Basically, the fitness of those chemical bonds, and what they can do to make them “fitter”.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't see why sp = potential energy in this dude's view (in Physics terminology) ...but I like the idea.

mby

sp=suppressed/passive energy
    sx=focused (chemical) energy
    so=disseminated (kinetic) energy

huh

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amber View Post
    I don't see why sp = potential energy in this dude's view (in Physics terminology) ...
    Having in mind that potential energy is a built up (compressed) charge of a certain object it is easy to see a parallel drawn between the two as sp is in close relation to cultivation (accumulation) of resources, restoration/preservation of (mental) homeostasis and energy expediency. sp operates on principle of what work is neccessary to avoid or adjust so that the body of object (physical self) would be in the state of least energy loss (placing focus on daily working conditions like food, shelter and other). Potential (energy release) is introspective and seemingly disinvolved in the environment. Focus is put on self preservation. One other way of interpreting it is that sp is in the constant state of inner tension. Potential energy is the stored energy of position possessed by an object. When objects position is altered from its usual equilibrium position (tense), the object is able to store energy (potential energy) by virtue of its position. Sp works on the same principle and its inner tension is the most self evident when the object at hand (i.e a person) is put outside its comfort zone (not in usual natural environment).
    ipsa scientia potestas est-adaequatio intellectus et rei

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

sp is not "inner tension". anything related to tension/charge is Sx.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

non sequitur.
    ipsa scientia potestas est-adaequatio intellectus et rei

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by miss BabyDoll View Post
    non sequitur.
    no, you were thinking in too concrete terms instead of applying those qualities to people. You can keep your formal logic or use it for mental masturbation, if you want. I appreciate it that you took your time to respond, but my question was not really about physics, in case you didn't realize it.

people with dominant Sp instinct are grounded, calm, relaxed, subdued, passive etc. ...the experience of "inner tension" that you were trying to glue to stacks is Sx.