Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Function 6 - How do You want praise?

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Function 6 - How do You want praise?

What is your type?

Do you recognize this description by SSS?

How do You want praise? (only Function 6)

http://en.socionicasys.org/teorija/d...ost/dvumernost

"Another feature of the function 6, (also known as the "reference function") is the desire to get confirmation (preferably a praise). Asking for a praise often bypasses awareness of the person himself. It seems as if an adult person should not be asking for a praise, it looks childish to act like that (because the norms are already internalized), but the wanting of a positive feedback is still present, and it comes through to the surface somehow. Typically it can manifest in the form of non verbal signs. The person does not say bluntly: "Come on, someone praise me", but instead he pleadingly looks into your eyes, or repeats the same sentence several times, as if expecting the desired reaction, or keeps returning the conversation to the "sweet" topic over and over..."

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I want to be told I have awesome aesthetic taste.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chips and underwear View Post
    Then why is that your avatar?

"A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah, I don't identify with this nor do I think it is accurate in general. People do strive to "get better at" their mobilizing function, and do feel good when they succeed at it, but it's not necessarily to be praised for it, it's just a growth area.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    Then why is that your avatar?

The FEDS made me do it.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you know how LII differs from EII in this regard?

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    Do you know how LII differs from EII in this regard?
    No I don't and why do you ask?

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I think praise in regards your 6th function can be understood as a contrast with the negative aspects with your 4th function (your PoLR). e.g. for me (as a self-typed EII), I would appreciate being told that I act in a composed, moderate, and apt fashion. This is so vague that it could potentially be used to describe any IM when used optimally, but I mean it in the sense that I am in tune with my environment and am not having an overbearing influence on others or having a malign impact on my own condition.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think the 6th function is concerned with verbal confirmation, its in the vital ring which means it more concerned with doing real things as opposed to speaking about it. Also its a weak function which means using this function isn't comfortable, therefore too much emphasis on it makes the individual feel uncomfortable.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No I don't and why do you ask?
    My view is that LII's HA is different from EII's HA, but I need some descriptions which prove this.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    I think praise in regards your 6th function can be understood as a contrast with the negative aspects with your 4th function (your PoLR). e.g. for me (as a self-typed EII), I would appreciate being told that I act in a composed, moderate, and apt fashion.
    What do you mean by "act"? Are you referring to physical movements or social norms?

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

What do you mean by "act". Are you referring to physical movements or social norms?
    I mean purely in the sense of action. (Although often, behaviour can be defined by percieved inaction).

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean purely in the sense of action. (Although often, behaviour can be defined by percieved inaction).
    Action could mean that you walk gracefully (Se). But it could also mean that you know how to act at a party (Si).

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do SLIs want praise for their kindness or their ability to handle social conflicts, in your view?
    Last edited by Petter; 11-08-2016 at 11:08 AM.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeking praise is a quality I kinda burned out of me at a younger age. With the sixth function, Ti for me, if im analyzing something, id like to be consistent so I can catch my own bias and value misassessments. The confirmation of value, and thus the feel good-ness of the HA is fulfilled simply by being competent.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Seeking praise is a quality I kinda burned out of me at a younger age. With the sixth function, Ti for me, if im analyzing something, id like to be consistent so I can catch my own bias and value misassessments. The confirmation of value, and thus the feel good-ness of the HA is fulfilled simply by being competent.
    What is the difference between IEI's HA and SEI's HA in this regard?

TIM
    LIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the difference between IEI's HA and SEI's HA in this regard?
    It's the difference between +Ti and -Ti.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not positive how I desire praise but am presently still enjoying the occaisional praise of the colour scheme and product choices I so painfully put together for the new build and enjoying enthusiastic remarks about the landscaping taking shape along with the overall house design and features.

My husband likes to show people every room of the house and tell them it was his idea to put a freestanding bath in. He is so looking forward to cooking BBQ's under the alfresco when the landscaping is completed.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mclane View Post
    Which is essentially an approximate for the difference in how Ne and Se synthesize with Ti / and likewise, Si and Ni synthesize with Fe.
    @Petter
    What questions are hard to answer with words outside of the nomenclature, as we use those symbols and terms to define parts of a composite. And all of it is technically correct, but very little actual information is conveyed. Is your question about how that difference is expressed, what the structure of the system defines these differences as, or why the one element in a synthesis can make the results so observably different?
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mclane View Post
    Yes, but I would like to see descriptions which correspond with those (and other types' HA). This behavior can only refer to a weak vital function, so we will know more about +/-.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LeShay View Post
    I'm not positive how I desire praise but am presently still enjoying the occaisional praise of the colour scheme and product choices I so painfully put together for the new build and enjoying enthusiastic remarks about the landscaping taking shape along with the overall house design and features.

My husband likes to show people every room of the house and tell them it was his idea to put a freestanding bath in. He is so looking forward to cooking BBQ's under the alfresco when the landscaping is completed.
    What are your types?

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which is essentially an approximate for the difference in how Ne and Se synthesize with Ti / and likewise, Si and Ni synthesize with Fe.
    That is my view as well. But SSS disagrees with this.

@Petter
    What questions are hard to answer with words outside of the nomenclature, as we use those symbols and terms to define parts of a composite. And all of it is technically correct, but very little actual information is conveyed. Is your question about how that difference is expressed, what the structure of the system defines these differences as, or why the one element in a synthesis can make the results so observably different?
    My question is only about a casual description of this behavior (i.e. how it is expressed) in your type or another type, if you recognize it.

TIM
    Ne EII
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is interesting!

First of all, I don't think we have need of being praised for how dandy we can manage in using our activating function, not at all. We seek praise (I would better say - affirmation) pertaining the aspect of us that our activating function processes, turned information element processed by others (super-id block), our dual in particular, and - in this digested form - presented back to us (to our 6th function).
    With that in mind,
    Quote Originally Posted by Danali View Post
    I don't think the 6th function is concerned with verbal confirmation, its in the vital ring which means it more concerned with doing real things as opposed to speaking about it.
    Spot on.
    It seems in agreement with my experience, too. I am extremely fine-tuned to signals of how pleasing I am to people: sexually, as a company, and - to some extent - aesthetically. Without thinking about it, I seek nonverbal affirmation.
    I appreciate attention given to my body, touches that are appropriate for a given relation, other person's natural easiness in being close around me, even such things as sharing a bed with a friend during sleepovers - all of which I suppose on some level I see as acceptance/affirmation and proper dealing with my physicality.
    Also, I often apologize to a friend if I feel tired or I'm under PMS when we meet and I can feel that I am not exactly easy to be around. Probably a lot of people do but it's something that really bugs me whenever I'm not conductive to one's comfort that way.

Oh, and I used to have a really good singing voice. I was extremely self-conscious about it - whenever I sang, it had to be perfect.
    Last edited by malna; 11-09-2016 at 08:49 PM.
    I call myself batyote and I fight crime at night.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are your types?
    Husband types himself as my dual no matter what my type :-)

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...=1#post1153991

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by malna View Post
    This is interesting!

First of all, I don't think we have need of being praised for how dandy we can manage in using our activating function, not at all. We seek praise (I would better say - affirmation) pertaining the aspect of us that our activating function processes, turned information element processed by others (super-id block), our dual in particular, and - in this digested form - presented back to us (to our 6th function).
    You are right, we usually don't need praise for that. But SSS is referring to a specific behavior, which we can see in all types from time to time. Someone is actively looking for praise from other people.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found a similar thread:

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...-hidden-agenda

"The focus on one's hidden agenda is also manifested in a "patting yourself on the back" way, when you are reassuring others that you are actually good in doing something, but it's painfully obvious to others that you are above all reassuring yourself and not doing a good job at it - and by doing that, you end up behaving in a pathetic way."

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you recognize this behavior?

"The focus on one's hidden agenda is also manifested in a "patting yourself on the back" way, when you are reassuring others that you are actually good in doing something, but it's painfully obvious to others that you are above all reassuring yourself and not doing a good job at it - and by doing that, you end up behaving in a pathetic way."

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LeShay View Post
    Husband types himself as my dual no matter what my type :-)

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...=1#post1153991
    Aw, that's sweet. And probably he's right!

Maybe you are xNxp. Because when you just can't settle on a type, it could well be that you see all the possibilities [N], and you like to keep your options OPEN [p].

(Any good possibilities that your hubby is xSxp??)
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone want to tell me what praise for would even look like?

I sacrificed a goat to Zeus and I liked it
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by goldenbane View Post
    "Oh thank you Lady/Lord/Queen/King/Mistress/Master for allowing us to..."

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Verbrannte View Post
    "Oh thank you Lady/Lord/Queen/King/Mistress/Master for allowing us to..."
    Ew

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

You might be praised for being a real dynamo that gets things done. You are an individual who knows where it is At without focusing on any piddling irrelevant details or being liable to be derailed by unpleasant sensations or busybodies.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might be praised for being a real dynamo that gets things done. You are an individual who knows where it is At without focusing on any piddling irrelevant details or being liable to be derailed by unpleasant sensations or busybodies.
    Then I guess I'll be EII like you.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

maybe I'm not best suited to attempt a satisfactory description.

I sacrificed a goat to Zeus and I liked it
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My description was sarcastic and I don't think his was worded that well because I'm not changing my self-typing to EII and that description doesn't sound attractive to me either... But we're all EII deep down inside anyways so it really makes no difference.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"You're so successful/strong/got your stuff together/etc." (Not aiming for realism here )

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    "You're so successful/strong/got your stuff together/etc." (Not aiming for realism here )
    Meh. I don't need praise in this regard. But being told I'm strong is helpful when I'm really doubting myself or in trouble.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you recognize this behavior?

I recognize it as a behavior, but it is pathetic and not everyone is pathetic like that. I think that's a mix of being highly insecure and neurotically focusing on that as a way to get others to make them feel "good" about themselves. Which, just doesn't ever work. As a teen, I think its not rare, though their peers catching it is less likely as they are similarly self-absorbed. But as an adult? I think most people grow out of such an extreme.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"You are fun."

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"You are fun."
    I could see that more for Fe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast