Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PoLR - big zero or stagnant emphasis

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default PoLR - big zero or stagnant emphasis

Sometimes PoLR is described as a "big zero" in a person's awareness and behavior...a weakness, an aversion. I wonder if this is the whole story. I have come to notice that sometimes people use their PoLR function in a way that is actually quite noticeable (and even useful and important), especially when in situations that bring out this function. Rather than it showing up as a "big zero," I suspect that it may show up more as a stagnant emphasis, a sort of crutch. In a way, it may be linked to the hidden-agenda function as a sort of "reflection." This tendency may be stronger in some people than in others. I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this.

Here are some possible examples of what I mean:

Te PoLR may involve a hardness used to repel people one doesn't want to talk to. I've noticed this in some IFp types; if they really don't want contact with someone, they put on a sort of "chip on the shoulder" affect that's sort of like simulated Te without the actual logic part. This serves a function to keep away certain people.

Ti PoLR may involve a tendency to focus on what's authoritative; to listen only to authoritative sources; to consider only the most "correct" theory. Here's a good example of how the PoLR may be a certain kind of strength; for example, an ENFp may be better at focusing on the question (and explaining) "what is classical Socionics" than an INTj, whose advanced investigations are more likely to confuse people and quickly lead away from classical Socionics. ENFp's strength here comes precisely from the need to restrict him/herself (in Ti matters) to what is standard or clearly applicable.

Fi PoLR may involve a constantly ironic or sarcastic quality. For example, ETp types may have about them a constant emotion of playful irony.

Fe PoLR may involve a fixed attitude...an emotion of steadiness, an emotion of objectivity, a constant sweetness, a fixed smile. In ILI, this may show up as putting on a "literary quality" or even playing the role of a highly negative version of an SEI. In this way, the ILI artist makes him/herself relevant to issues involving people's emotions, and disguising his/her highly calculating approach to life.

Ne PoLR may involve an impression (to others at least) of constant openness to inventions and new ideas.

Ni PoLR may involve a strong believing quality, a state of very strong, unshakable conviction.

Se PoLR may involve a constant sense of determination, a constant confidence, a fiery quality. LII types may exude a strong "constant" confidence to make up for the "lack of Se."

Si role or PoLR may involve a constant default awareness of a sort of steady "atmosphere"; a blank slate, a palette, a sense eternity, a respect for nature.

One corollary of this is the possibility of a sort of "confict-duality" effect; that is, in stressing one's super-ego-block functions, one appears outwardly similar to one's conflict type (and naturally guides these functions in part through the id block); in this way, the conflict type becomes a sort of "secondary dual."

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right - this is what I was talking about when I said "it depends on what side of your polr you are on".

Polr is something that you basically either avoid and are victim to
    or you actively, consciously try to deal with it and challenge it
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm not sure the polr is necessarily negative at all. it seems that it can be something that someone focuses on to such an extent that they master it.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right.

PORL more or less seems like "The default disadvantage". But I think there is something to the process of 'mastering/conquering' it, indeed.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by science as magic
    i'm not sure the polr is necessarily negative at all. it seems that it can be something that someone focuses on to such an extent that they master it.
    Of course, but you think you shouldn't have to.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    Exactly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it seems like when one tries to master something they throw that thought away

:edit:

one only forces himself to do something until it becomes an end in and of itself. that is, once doing is the fruit of his labor.

/rephrase

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus
    Exactly.
    Well, that's the standard theory of course. The very idea of the super-ego block is what is irrelevant to your agenda. That's basically the definition. That's why one accepts the super-id (one sees it as helping one attain important goals) but not the super ego (it seems to just get in the way).

However, there is a tendency in some people to want to experience and master everything, in one way or another. And, I think in particular that artists of various forms are interested in mastering the Socion.

But apart from that, going back to my examples, these are things I've observed in real, ordinary people...In that case it's not a matter of mastering, it's just how people deal with that side of life; it's still there, and it doesn't go away. Coming back to those examples, I wonder if other people have noticed similar things.

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana
    I've decided to not have a PoLR.
    high fives. however, i think i am kind of proud of mine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied
    high fives. however, i think i am kind of proud of mine.
    Curious...why?

[agree with sci]
    IEI subtype

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
    Coming back to those examples, I wonder if other people have noticed similar things.
    Yes, I have. I can relate to all of your examples, except maybe Ne PoLR and Si role or PoLR. I don't know how to say about those two. All the others make sense to me, but how do we know for sure that that kind of behaviour is due to their use of their PoLR and not due to something else, at least partially?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus
    Coming back to those examples, I wonder if other people have noticed similar things.
    Yes, I have. I can relate to all of your examples, except maybe Ne PoLR and Si role or PoLR. I don't know how to say about those two. All the others make sense to me, but how do we know for sure that that kind of behaviour is due to their use of their PoLR and not due to something else, at least partially?
    Well, like anything else here, not so easily. If one can find good evidence that someone is a given type, and then see those behaviors I mentioned, that's evidence for what I'm talking about. Determining what the real *source* is of those behaviors is an interesting question. I guess that would be the next step.

Creepy-bg

I can't have a POLR until I get a type so I'm safe...

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: PoLR as a stagnant emphasis rather than a 0

Sometimes PoLR is described as a "big zero" in a person's awareness and behavior...a weakness, an aversion. I wonder if this is the whole story. I have come to notice that sometimes people use their PoLR function in a way that is actually quite noticeable (and even useful and important), especially when in situations that bring out this function. Rather than it showing up as a "big zero," I suspect that it may show up more as a stagnant emphasis, a sort of crutch. In a way, it may be linked to the hidden-agenda function as a sort of "reflection." This tendency may be stronger in some people than in others. I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this.

Te PoLR may involve a hardness used to repel people one doesn't want to talk to. I've noticed this in some IFp types; if they really don't want contact with someone, they put on a sort of "chip on the shoulder" affect that's sort of like simulated Te without the actual logic part. This serves a function to keep away certain people.
    What does this have to do with Te?

Ti PoLR may involve a tendency to focus on what's authoritative; to listen only to authoritative sources; to consider only the most "correct" theory. Here's a good example of how the PoLR may be a certain kind of strength; for example, an ENFp may be better at focusing on the question (and explaining) "what is classical Socionics" than an INTj, whose advanced investigations are more likely to confuse people and quickly lead away from classical Socionics. ENFp's strength here comes precisely from the need to restrict him/herself (in Ti matters) to what is standard or clearly applicable.

Fi PoLR may involve a constantly ironic or sarcastic quality. For example, ETp types may have about them a constant emotion of playful irony.
    Both of those behaviors, though well-described, have more to do with the hidden agenda.

Ni PoLR may involve a strong believing quality, a state of very strong, unshakable conviction.

Fe PoLR may involve a fixed attitude...an emotion of steadiness, an emotion of objectivity, a constant sweetness, a fixed smile. In ILI, this may show up as putting on a "literary quality" or even playing the role of a highly negative version of an SEI. In this way, the ILI artist makes him/herself relevant to issues involving people's emotions, and disguising his/her highly calculating approach to life.
    Hmm, maybe.

Ne PoLR may involve an impression (to others at least) of constant openness to inventions and new ideas.
    Not "constant". Maybe a tentative openness, but only at certain times.

Se PoLR may involve a constant sense of determination, a constant confidence, a fiery quality. LII types may exude a strong "constant" confidence to make up for the "lack of Se."
    Yes, I do this sometimes. It mostly comes from choosing to ignore Fe + Si.

One corollary of this is the possibility of a sort of "confict-duality" effect; that is, in stressing one's super-ego-block functions, one appears outwardly similar to one's conflict type (and naturally guides these functions in part through the id block); in this way, the conflict type becomes a sort of "secondary dual."
    But then you realize the behavior isn't sustainable, and start conflicting again.

Attracting conflictors is probably the biggest reason not to actively use your PoLR. Otherwise there are many healthy ways of doing so.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: PoLR as a stagnant emphasis rather than a 0

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush

What does this have to do with Te?
    It has nothing to do with *real* Te; it's just something I've noticed in some IFp types. They put on this "hardness" that sometimes fools people into thinking that they're Te types, only it's not actual Te. It has no intellectual use; it's just to repel people.

Actually, though, it seems to me that what I'm talking about may be more than just a "fringe" thing that people do. As I observe, it seems like a much more fundamental thing. As per Phaedrus's question regarding where is the "source" of this, I think it's actually just a side-effect of expressing one's ego functions.

I've generally thought that people expressed themselves in a certain way and subconsciously produced something that is axially opposite. I.e., if you're expressing Ti, you subconsciously express Fe just by the fact that you expressed Ti. However, I've come to see that someone expressing Ti may appear to others as expressing a certain form of Fi; that is, it's perceived (or may be perceived) as an expression that exists within the Fi space.

It may have to do with emphasis. An INTp, in making a Te point, seems emotional and exhortating in a sort of Fe way. It isn't *real* Fe, though, but it is perceived within the Fe space.

What's going on here? It seems that really, rather than being "little versions of their dual," each type is more of "a little version of his/her conflict."

If this is true, duality is not caused by similarity, but by the lack of potential for conflict. Conflict is not caused by dissimilarity, but rather by conflicting over the appropriate source of the exact same manifestations.

Put another way, Te is a specific subset of possible Fe expressions. And Fe is a specific subset of possible Te thoughts. By merely being him/herself, each type is unconsciously playing a very specific role in the super-ego space. Awareness of this fact can cause people to believe that they're their super ego, conflict, or quasi-identity type.

I have noticed this more in introverts, although it may occur in all types.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default POLR: Blind Spot vs. Sore Spot

Most descriptions of POLR seem to treat it as an instant pain button, which would lead me to expect some rather ridiculous interactions.

Example:
    LSE- Hi! Let's be productive!
    SEI- OH MY GOD PLEASE DON'T HURT ME!!!

I'm thinking it might be better to imagine POLR as totally unresponsive rather than actively painful. Individuals would then tend to be confused or mildly irritated by their POLR, or else miss it entirely, rather than finding it threatening or terrifying. The above caricatured example would then be replaced by the below caricatured example:

Example:
    SEI- Productive? You mean like fingerpainting?

This seems to make more sense in general - I can't really imagine an XIE threatened by Si, an XLE terrified by Fi, or an XLI who jumps out the nearest window at the first sign of Fe. Rather, each type just seems totally oblivious to POLR information, and will rarely show any reaction to it, positive or negative.

Reasonable? Evidential? Laughable? Opinions, please.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is my idea of what a PoLR is.

The only time a person might become distressed is when it becomes a point of percieved necessity. If someone sees something as a point of significance they will naturally attempt to handle it with their creative and always fall short when it reqires their PoLR. This is why prolonged exposure to superivsors can lead to neuroses, especially since supervisors relate your PoLR to your base which is naturally considered to be important.

As you said, it's nothing like the first example. Socionics interactions take time to play out.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Igxfl View Post
    . Rather, each type just seems totally oblivious to POLR information, and will rarely show any reaction to it, positive or negative.
    It's not like that. It is a conscious function. It is sensitive. We have a hard time being creative and flexible in the polr area. It's hard to discuss it and adjust it to a social situation. We tend to be rigid. And sensitive to criticism.

Saying "lets be productive" is not the same as Te.

Have you read this?
    http://en.socionics.ru/index.php?opt...251&Itemid=139

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a really interesting link someoen put in another thread:

http://en.socionics.ru/index.php?opt...251&Itemid=139

Anyway, no I dont' think it's as strong as "OMG don't talk about productivity!" LOL. But I think it is a person's weak point, and depending on the specific scenario can cause some unsettled or unpleasant feelings.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It can be like that for phone calls. .
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see that SLEs usually have little more than disdain for Fi, at most they feel a little insecure when Fi is demanded from them, but to me, the POLR is rather an area of personal disdain. The person simply does not value the POLR. ESTP is a very good example of that. ISTJ gets irritated or frowns in disdain when imagination, possibilities and scenarios are being discussed - he thinks they are of no use in practical reality because he is too pragmatic. This definition of POLR just came to my mind some minutes ago.

edit: I don't see ISTP's Fe POLR to be like getting easily hurt emotionally. I see it as more like simply not caring about emotional intensity and being too upbeat, as this disturbs the Si his leading function in his case. Being easily hurt emotionally would refer to weak F in general and strong and valued Si (internal states of body and MIND) so that ISTP values these inner states a lot, and what causes an unpleasant emotional state will be strongly rejected.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Example:

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This seems to make more sense in general - I can't really imagine an XIE threatened by Si,
    It doesn't matter if it's Si or whatever. It's not the information in itself, it is our inability to handle it that is painful. We have to strain ourselves. We constantly feel our weakness with supervisors and conflictors. That's why supervision can be so devilish. It's like they affect us from the inside.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the polr is contrary to the priorities of the creative function. It's sort of the red tape holding you back. It's not a void.. it's a negative function.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm thinking it might be better to imagine POLR as totally unresponsive rather than actively painful. Individuals would then tend to be confused or mildly irritated by their POLR, or else miss it entirely, rather than finding it threatening or terrifying. The above caricatured example would then be replaced by the below caricatured example:

Example:

This seems to make more sense in general - I can't really imagine an XIE threatened by Si, an XLE terrified by Fi, or an XLI who jumps out the nearest window at the first sign of Fe. Rather, each type just seems totally oblivious to POLR information, and will rarely show any reaction to it, positive or negative.

Reasonable? Evidential? Laughable? Opinions, please.
    yeah, this is how i see it too.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right. Supervision is directed towards base function, not PoLR.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like that. the insistence on the idea that supervision derives from a "PoLR" is actually a bias in socionics. the view that it is actually the supervisor's Creating function that supervises the Base function is equally valid under an instrumentalist interpretation of the intertype relations.

i like how this gets rid of the idea that sticking to the fundamental convictions of the Base function is somehow a "safe" way to behave. there are no safe havens!

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

It's a blindspot until it's a sorespot.

Not all information in the PoLR is bad, only information that indicates failure or negative consequences. You may not even get fatigued in this area easily. Different types handle this area differently.

Like I know some very good EIE chefs and some very eccentric ones who have very peculiar tastes.

In fact, I type some of the best chefs in the world are EIE and they're neurotic about the cleanliness, quality, creativity of food to a extent that they have turned it into a perfected craft. The world of haute cusine is full of betas.

Also Si is very personal like all the introverted functions, so it's very possible one EIE will love the nasty bits, offal and focus on it and another will hate it and won't touch anything except for what they find acceptable.

This is just one example but the PoLR Function is a evaluatory function so people make very strong judgements here. However, the judgments can be go one or two directions. It's a area of fear, so it triggers a fight or flight response and many environmental and conditioned factors will affect it.

I am personally avoidant with meeting people, but I know a SLE who is not at all avoidant with getting to know people yet does not really get close to anyone.

Also how people approach your PoLR with id functions is totally different then someone who has your PoLR as a ego function, ultimately this is more important then any sort purely positive or negative.

I know a EIE who is very insistant on me meeting with them and hanging out, and guilts me when I don't do it.

I know a ESE who doesn't do this. This difference in action make a huge difference, which makes me avoid one and not the other.

I know a EII, who tells me that I suck at relationships because I'm too critical and combative in discussions. (They still want a relationship with me, but they make it sound like I need to change for them)

I know a SEI who tells me that even if I am too critical and combative, they still like me and want to be my friend and it doesn't really matter if I change or not. This makes a huge difference.
    Last edited by mu4; 03-28-2011 at 11:21 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Functional rings of supervision:

Acc-Fe => Cre-Te => Acc-Te => Cre-Fe => Acc-Fe
    Acc-Ti => Cre-Fi => Acc-Fi => Cre-Ti => Acc-Ti
    Cre-Si => Acc-Si => Cre-Ni => Acc-Ni => Cre-Si
    Cre-Ne => Acc-Ne => Cre-Se => Acc-Se => Cre-Ne

"=>" means "supervises".

So there are two kinds of supervision going on here. The first one is the "Cre function supervising it's Acc counterpart" kind of supervision. Labcoat and "me" called this version "supervision by correction", because, all things being equal, Cre version of a socionics function is superior to Acc version of that same function.
    The second kind of supervision is the "Acc function supervising its Creative opposite" kind of supervision. Labcoat and "me" called this version "bull-in-a-china-store" supervision, because, all things being controled for, it does exactly that. An analogy/metaphor/whatever for this kind of a process would be: imagine careful building of a machine, and someone just comes and destroyes it in no time. This is how this kind of supervision works. You, proud SEI, build something with your Cre-Fe, you put some good ol' effort in building it, and then some LSE comes and destroyes it with his/her Acc-Te in a split second.

Your Supervisor uses both versions of supervision upon you.

You and your Mirror supervise eachother's Acc functions, using Supervision by Correction. A synergy between two of you can occur. According to socionics patriarchs, Mirror relations are superb when it comes to work. Synergy rullz.

You and your Conflictor supervise eachother's Cre functions, using Bull-in-a-China-Store Supervision. Both of you have a natural inclination to destroy other party's projects. That sucks.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

awesome; thanks for that recollection.

i think it merits adding that there isn't usually a pointed intent to destroy the other person's efforts, though. it happens more or less "accidentally".

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    i like that. the insistence on the idea that supervision derives from a "PoLR" is actually a bias in socionics. the view that it is actually the supervisor's Creating function that supervises the Base function is equally valid under an instrumentalist interpretation of the intertype relations.

i like how this gets rid of the idea that sticking to the fundamental convictions of the Base function is somehow a "safe" way to behave. there are no safe havens!
    It's both. You don't supervise your Mirror.
    Supervision happens for every function in the mental and vital blocks.

Supervisor-Supervisee
    1st = 4th
    2nd = 1st
    3rd = 2nd
    4th = 3rd

All bold functions in the supervisee is cautious in the supervisor, it will feel as if the supervisor is scrutinizing minutely over everything the supervisee uses freely. To the supervisor, the supervisee is doing everything too slowly and cautiously. (All introverts / extroverts are similarly like this however, but in this particular relationship the psychological pressure is different and there is some compatibility in the 2nd and 3rd function of the supervisor, your conflictor is a symmetric relation which both side engage in information of high psychological pressure )

Also due to the free use of the supervisors base function which is the supervisee's PoLR, there is a great deal of pressure on the supervisee.

You have this with your dual as well, except the vital and mental ring and flipped and communication does not incur the psychological pressure. They are able to concretely help you with their bold function and help regulate you with their cautious functions rather than only criticism.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Trevor View Post
    Functional rings of supervision:

Acc-Fe => Cre-Te => Acc-Te => Cre-Fe => Acc-Fe
    Acc-Ti => Cre-Fi => Acc-Fi => Cre-Ti => Acc-Ti
    Cre-Si => Acc-Si => Cre-Ni => Acc-Ni => Cre-Si
    Cre-Ne => Acc-Ne => Cre-Se => Acc-Se => Cre-Ne

"=>" means "supervises".

So there are two kinds of supervision going on here. The first one is the "Cre function supervising it's Acc counterpart" kind of supervision. Labcoat and "me" called this version "supervision by correction", because, all things being equal, Cre version of a socionics function is superior to Acc version of that same function.
    The second kind of supervision is the "Acc function supervising its Creative opposite" kind of supervision. Labcoat and "me" called this version "bull-in-a-china-store" supervision, because, all things being controled for, it does exactly that. An analogy/metaphor/whatever for this kind of a process would be: imagine careful building of a machine, and someone just comes and destroyes it in no time. This is how this kind of supervision works. You, proud SEI, build something with your Cre-Fe, you put some good ol' effort in building it, and then some LSE comes and destroyes it with his/her Acc-Te in a split second.

Your Supervisor uses both versions of supervision upon you.

You and your Mirror supervise eachother's Acc functions, using Supervision by Correction. A synergy between two of you can occur. According to socionics patriarchs, Mirror relations are superb when it comes to work. Synergy rullz.

You and your Conflictor supervise eachother's Cre functions, using Bull-in-a-China-Store Supervision. Both of you have a natural inclination to destroy other party's projects. That sucks.
    Nice, nice. Perfect.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    It comes from both. S'ee Base and S'or Creative is the part that the S'or requires, accepts and appreciates (obviously); S'ee Creative is where it is wrong and requires revision - and from where the name comes (it's also called correction, revision for these exact reasons).
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skipping some things in this thread I don't yet fully understand, my sense of the PoLR is that ideally, it is something that just gets skipped over, in favor of something else. But when a person is regularly confronted with pressure on the PoLR, it will in fact become something uncomfortable. It doesn't have to be a full-on OUCH (the so-called PoLR hit). It might be something in the environment over time that leads to the person (a) being expected to do or give something s/he cannot, with (b) a probable rejection of what the person IS most able to do or give.

Being deeply subject to a partner and in-laws of my conflicting quadra for many years, I most certainly came to feel that my own strengths and weaknesses were faults of mine, rather than mere differences.

Btw, regarding the idea of Si PoLRs being chefs, etc., I'd like to point out that I don't understand why Si is regarded as the domain of aesthetics and cuisine, whereas Se is merely force. IMO, S in general is going to deal with the same kinds of information, but deal with them differently.

And an example of how S works in actual humans, my Se-leading boyfriend and I are both very much into aesthetics, and we both like high-quality food. Our tastes are pretty similar, despite us coming from different cultures. Stark, strong, high-impact visual aesthetics, with clean lines and careful but pure use of color, as in neutrals punctuated by bolds. Intensely flavored (but sometimes simple) foods.

I can cook a meal for 20 people, but not in order to give them the warm comfy cozies or to provide a sense of calm and connection. I'll make interior Mexican food from scratch, for example. I could much more easily imagine being a professional chef creating strongly flavored foods than, well, whatever it was that my ex's family were up to. Good food, but the point was a sort of feeling of calm well-being and connection, slowly formed, during the meal, with a big emphasis on digestion. I don't do that.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My guess is Se likes intensity of stimulation from the food where Si likes the food to sort of harmonize the flavors.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedratsghost View Post
    My guess is Se likes intensity of stimulation from the food where Si likes the food to sort of harmonize the flavors.
    Probably something like that. And however it manifests, the goals will be different--that is, what are you going to achieve from preparing or eating this food? What is the nature of the sought experience?

My main point was just that Se-valuers can be very into food (and a buncha other stuff that somehow has been claimed for Si only).
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Creepy-Snaps

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    It's a blindspot until it's a sorespot.

Very simply: Your POLR (4th function) is typically a blindspot, until someone else points it out and it hurts bigtime, where your Role function (3rd) is typically a sorespot, something that hurts more often because you're aware of it, but because you're aware of it, hurts less when other people point it out.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post

Very simply: Your POLR (4th function) is typically a blindspot, until someone else points it out and it hurts bigtime, where your Role function (3rd) is typically a sorespot, something that hurts more often because you're aware of it, but because you're aware of it, hurts less when other people point it out.
    No man, the role function is one you should be able to use with some degree of success, even if it seems somehow faked or odd, it's the shadow of your base function and you do use it at times just pay attention.

Creepy-Snaps

Quote Originally Posted by Air View Post
    No man, the role function is one you should be able to use with some degree of success, even if it seems somehow faked or odd, it's the shadow of your base function and you do use it at times just pay attention.
    ??? I never said you don't use it. And I never said you're unsuccessful at it all the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast