Thread: The Imago

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Imago

I saw @Adam Strange and @Scarlett talk about the concept of "The Imago" in another thread. I wasn't very familiar with it so I did some research into what it was.

Here is a definition I found online:

The Latin word “imago”—meaning “image”—refers to the “unconscious image of familiar love.” What we find is that there is frequently a connection between frustrations in adult relationships and early childhood experiences. As an example, individuals frequently criticized as a child will likely be highly sensitive to their partner’s criticism. Childhood feelings of abandonment, suppression or neglect will often arise in a marriage or committed relationship.
    When such “core issues” repeatedly come up with a partner, they can overshadow all that is good in a relationship and leave one to wonder whether he or she has chosen the right mate.
    https://harvilleandhelen.com/initiatives/what-is-imago/

In socionics terms, this idea of an Imago is very Ni, because of that I don't think this is likely to be an effective therapy for anyone.

But there is a deeper problem that I have with this idea of an "imago" and it goes with other ideas of tapping into the unconscious. I honestly think it's bullshit. The unconscious is unconscious, any ideas that come forth from it, i.e. bringing it to consciousness, are only digestible glimpses taken from the shifting sea of the unconscious mind. The unconscious exists outside of rational thought and can not be fully understood by the conscious mind.

If you visualize your imago, you aren't seeing the imago (if it exists) you are actually visualizing what you think your imago is. This isn't a self-discovery this is creating a mythology of self. So this exercise is really you forcing yourself to undergo a self-hypnosis where you convince yourself of an ideal that you yourself created for any number of reasons.

Anyway, I'm procrastinating right now, I will probably have more to say about this later. What are all your thoughts on this subject?

Here is some videos to give a rundown on what I'm talking about:

The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bump
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I term the image primordial[53] when it possesses an archaic character. I speak of its archaic character when the image is in striking unison with familiar mythological motives. In this case it expresses material primarily derived from the collective unconscious (q.v.), while, at the same time, it indicates that the momentary conscious situation is influenced not so much from the side of the personal as from the collective.

A personal image has neither archaic character nor collective significance, but expresses contents of the personal unconscious and a personally conditioned, conscious situation.
    What is your imago?

Bonus: What is their sociotype? lol