Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is coffee seen as "more cool" than tea?

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Is coffee seen as "more cool" than tea?

I get the impression that tea is seen as sort of old-fashioned and that coffee by comparison is seen as the "in" thing for fast-paced, action-packed lives in the 21st century.

Of course, in terms of date of introduction, tea is way older than coffee...but both are quite ancient!

I know also that which drink is most popular varies from country to country too...but does anyone know of any persuasive arguments in support of the pre-eminence of tea over coffee?

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I drink both. Tea with cream and sugar, coffee with sugar. I remember learning about the Boston tea party and somehow managed to link it to Guy Fawkes in my mind. The events just seem so similar...change through destruction. This may not have anything to do with your post but it came to mind.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"In the United States, about 85% of the tea consumed is served cold, or iced."

it should really be made with hot water, and certainly not salt water. (I've enjoyed iced tea on the small number of occasions I've had it though)

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I prefer both coffee and tea hot but if it is really hot (weather) and I am out I will get an iced coffee or tea.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    And 100% of that is consumed in Georgia.
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

coffee was cultivated by eeevil muslims

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK so among middle class suburban middle aged white women (I'm an expert here) tea is becoming very popular. All my friends are drinking tea. It's a new trend. They spend lots of money on fancy teas and teapots and things. People keep buying me tea and tea-related things if a birthday or other gift occasion pops up.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

My experiences concur with what @Slacker said above. I bought my friend an electric tea kettle this past Christmas, because tea is definitely making a comeback in the US. Everything old is new again, etc. It's part of an overall trend with the fitness and health craze that's been sweeping the country for quite some time now. Certain teas (especially green tea) are being promoted as a healthier alternative to coffee, so a lot of people are making the switch.

I enjoy both, though my habits and preferences land me firmly in the zone of coffee drinker.

most coffee comes from brazil and vietnam but oone cares
    WHY DOES NOONE CARE BOUT VITMNAM

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by severina View Post
    most coffee comes from brazil and vietnam but oone cares
    WHY DOES NOONE CARE BOUT VITMNAM
    cuz ****s

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Coffee is more popular but tea is trendier.

Creepy-bg

i use tea in my coffee machine instead of water.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

many people are prone to request "tea instead" when offered coffee etc., as a part of a kind of aesthetic... like I'll have a mini buzz without the vice, but coffee's appeal will always remain strong on a consumerist level. you don't notice as many people getting dunkin donuts, despite the fact that it's superior in quality and health to a place like starbuck's, but the latter can make sense even in the evening. coffee needs to retain that value imo
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mermaid with Stellar views SyrupDeGem's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    Coffee is more popular but tea is trendier.
    This is true, people can so anal about their specific tea... Yogi tea, robois tea, chai latte with extra helpings of yoga and zen meditation.

Coffee is more... I don't sleep i hallucinate and drinks buckets of coffee

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    many people are prone to request "tea instead" when offered coffee etc., as a part of a kind of aesthetic... like I'll have a mini buzz without the vice, but coffee's appeal will always remain strong on a consumerist level. you don't notice as many people getting dunkin donuts, despite the fact that it's superior in quality and health to a place like starbuck's, but the latter can make sense even in the evening. coffee needs to retain that value imo
    Dunkin's coffee is not better or worse unless you start going by subjective taste (which I would disagree with because Starbucks has multiple coffee types and qualities, but never get Pike Place unless you want burnt stale coffee) or objective caloric measurements of specific Frappachino like drinks. For just regular coffee McDonalds was rated higher than all the other contenders tested in taste, including Starbucks. Is there a new test that I'm unaware of?

On the subject matter of tea the populace is less educated and exposed than the coffee medium. If you want high quality tea you should get loose leaf, preferably organic and take it straight or with citrus(lemon) or at least without dairy or soymilks as these will completely block the tea phyto-nutrients, not so much the caffeine, but any dilution will slow the rate of absorption. You should also take care in brewing tea at the proper temperature. Current electric kettles are vastly overpriced if they have ajustable temperature settings so I just reccommend a thermometer and whatever method you like to heat the water. Also the tea needs proper room for expansion of the leaves; a french press works pretty well if you already have one.
    Also cold brewing tea of any kind is fine and is actually superior in antioxidant content if done well.
    I prefer green teas as they have less caffeine and more theanine making the physiologic effect different than with coffee. Coffee is a stronger more jittery anxious buzz; black tea is similar. Green has more of a lucid alert calm; especially japanese greens andit creates more of an alpha brain wave state compared to beta waves in the brain (NON SOCIONIC related btw alpha brain waves is not alpha quadra lol though they could be slightly correlated now that I think of it)

Here's an artisan tea producer I respect: www.mellowmonk.com
    Some resources/citation pages:
    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/diet...ve-alteration/

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/green-tea-vs-white/

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/cold...ing-green-tea/

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/soymilk-suppression/

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jughead View Post
    Dunkin's coffee is not better or worse unless you start going by subjective taste (which I would disagree with because Starbucks has multiple coffee types and qualities, but never get Pike Place unless you want burnt stale coffee) or objective caloric measurements of specific Frappachino like drinks. For just regular coffee McDonalds was rated higher than all the other contenders tested in taste, including Starbucks. Is there a new test that I'm unaware of?
    I don't know of any tests. I can see why mcdonalds was rated the highest, but still think dunkin donuts is slightly superior... it has a more wholesome and organic texture that the various flavorings don't really efface. starbuck's might be slightly below mcdonalds, if only because their normal coffee is nothing special, and typically still more sugared up than necessary. imo the standard of value should be based more on this, than on how many flavorings and varieties you can concoct, but these are just my preferences.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    ENTP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coffee is better than tea because it doesn't stain your teeth. That's a big one with me. Just look at the Brits.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    Just like revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Geminatronix View Post
    This is true, people can so anal about their specific tea...
    I can get very specific about my anal, it's true. Teabagging is so last decade.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Select Starbucks are getting the new gizmo Clover machine for premium coffee. Should be top of the line for all the chains. http://www.starbucks.com/coffee/learn/clover But I'm really a tea person and NO chain has great tea, period. Starbuck's Tazo and Teavana is mostly inferior tea blended with artificial ingredients and flavorants; not pure quality tea flavor and effects. It's comparable to inferior flavored coffee.

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

coffee is only cool for throwin' on kids...

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tea: For meditative souls and Brits.

Coffee: For everyone else.

Just my observation

I'm a coffee drinker myself, but often consider making the switch when I'm exceptionally contemplative. When at Starbucks, I choose Blonde roast or a speciality drink. Otherwise, it's Dunkin all the way.
    And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Tea = Stiff lip upper crust status, old people and Mad Hatter
    Coffee = Hipster barista, office drones and the turks making you their bitch, "Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death and sweet as love"

I'll suffer the hipster barista for my preference in coffee, also it's office drone fuel cell.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, tea.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

tea is growing on me lately. i'm getting sucked into the twee hipster vortex. its easier to microwave a cup of water and stick a teabag in it than deal with the coffeepot sometimes. and there are a variety of free offerings at work to try.

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jughead View Post
    Select Starbucks are getting the new gizmo Clover machine for premium coffee. Should be top of the line for all the chains. http://www.starbucks.com/coffee/learn/clover But I'm really a tea person and NO chain has great tea, period. Starbuck's Tazo and Teavana is mostly inferior tea blended with artificial ingredients and flavorants; not pure quality tea flavor and effects. It's comparable to inferior flavored coffee.
    Last time I went there tried the clover. I didn't taste much difference tbh. I had more countries to choose from...that was about it.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Coffee is only seen by sensing types.

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by applejacks View Post
    Tea: For meditative souls and Brits.

Coffee: For everyone else.

Just my observation

I'm a coffee drinker myself, but often consider making the switch when I'm exceptionally contemplative. When at Starbucks, I choose Blonde roast or a speciality drink. Otherwise, it's Dunkin all the way.
    Nice.
    I am a meditative soul

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Last edited by Skepsis; 09-05-2015 at 02:58 AM.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    Depends on circumstance and what social circle you're in. I've always been more of a tea drinker because I was raised by a British mom and it was all I knew as a kid growing up. ��

I tried to get everyone I work with to drink tea instead of coffee because I'm a little health nut. The women who were more body conscious followed suit, while the fatties who gave no fucks did not. Goes to show...
    Are you PMSing or something?

I drink coffee. Tea only in winter when I am cold.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If my name were Kim, I would have had this avatar since forever.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I drink coffee everyday. I used to put milk & sugar in it until I drank it black a few times and really enjoyed it that way. Tea is nice, too, but I mostly drink it when I'm sick or don't feel like drinking coffee (the first often leads to the second).

Btw, why exactly is coffee considered to be unhealthy?
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

kim settled it...drinkin' coffee ain't cool except in winter.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I drink tea all the time.

coffee usually for just when I pull allnighters to study.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    It's not unhealthy when it's black. I've read somewhere that it's high in antioxidants like tea, but people here (including myself) tend to load it with sugar and creamer.
    People do that with tea, too.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I guess it depends on what society you're talking about. I think it's a matter of taste and not specifically about cool status. It just so happens that Americans tossed out the tea and have adopted coffee.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Tea seems a lot better when it is drunk with other people...even the weedy stuff seems pleasant.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

So yeah... someone just decides to prank me or something. I have a cup of coffee next to me and I'm sipping on it. I refill my cup and go outside for a few minutes to check on some work. Come back in and go back into my little computer world. I am sipping the coffee for a few minutes. It is hotter than I expected... It looks the same but I realize something isn't right. I keep tasting it and I notice my coffee is now a cup of tea.

I have others taste it. Everyone agrees it is tea with milk and sugar (coffee had the same in it). I have been drinking coffee all day and did not make tea.

No one admits to switching it on me. They are trying to make me think I am crazy. hahah I will get even for this.

YWIMW

Creepy-male

I really don't care what image is tied to a beverage a lot of it is what I feel like. Caffeine is a useful drug in order to get stimulation, a lot of times I'll depend on coffee to get through some tough spots when I'm really not looking to be exposed to load of high fructose corn syrup. I'll depend on tea with honey if I got a sore throat. I could mention that chai lattes are seen as artsy and hipster like coffee, and that black tea in general has a load of caffeine in it as well. I've found spiced black tea to be pleasant with milk and found matcha green tea to not only have an interesting taste but have a minor effect on my mental ability to focus.

In terms of caffeine I want to know what happened to Guarana. I wish they sold berries of that shit to freshly eat. I could image explorers coming across that in the rainforest and just bitting into it. Fuck yea.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My own view of coffee is that since it entails a beta brain waves state it is more in lock step with the general work mood/environment in the US. More output and drudgery, less creativity and flow. Work harder for your masters, slaves!

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both are horrible.
    But I think coffee is supposed to be cooler.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast