Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What gods do you pray to?

Riley and Bunny together forever HicksHawking 14Raptor19's Avatar
    Macroverse MtBattle ScholarsGarden Halloween1993 SuperNexus InfinitiesUltimate AllSpectraEverywhere
    TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
    I don't believe that there is a deity, so I don't pray.
    Having faith is easy, just seeing the unusual events and crossroad anomolies that don't happen basically ever without divine calculation, but they may actually happen sometimes.
    Chinese Fortune Cookie ~ A fair face may fade, but a beautiful soul lasts forever. Lucky Numbers - 53, 10, 29, 14, 1, 21
    Marius Florin aka LeoSuperCluster as Raging Bolt the Raikou number 1021 and SolitaryWalker brought glory to the years of Silver and forged Pichu, wisdom of force and flair to exhibit dinosaur questing pointers electrocuting cinema and blueprints of emporiums to undertow flows jungle tossing galaxy spanning shivers of essence gems and portals of roads to destruction and arboretums folding castles and swordsmanship of dreams and counters to pleasant vibrations and holy water sprouting evanescent stars and puzzles of grades to saffron climax
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...k-2024-edition

Riley and Bunny together forever HicksHawking 14Raptor19's Avatar
    Macroverse MtBattle ScholarsGarden Halloween1993 SuperNexus InfinitiesUltimate AllSpectraEverywhere
    TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nunki View Post
    I once read about a scientific study in which participants were asked to pray for certain hospital patients and not others. The study found no benefit to the people who had been prayed for. So, while I believe there is a Supreme Being, I don't bother asking Him for assistance. If I pray to Him at all, it is only to thank Him for the good things in my life.
    I see the potential in becoming God as the supreme weapon in eradicating unworthy slime that haunts and poisons the true reality rainbow of heaven.
    Chinese Fortune Cookie ~ A fair face may fade, but a beautiful soul lasts forever. Lucky Numbers - 53, 10, 29, 14, 1, 21
    Marius Florin aka LeoSuperCluster as Raging Bolt the Raikou number 1021 and SolitaryWalker brought glory to the years of Silver and forged Pichu, wisdom of force and flair to exhibit dinosaur questing pointers electrocuting cinema and blueprints of emporiums to undertow flows jungle tossing galaxy spanning shivers of essence gems and portals of roads to destruction and arboretums folding castles and swordsmanship of dreams and counters to pleasant vibrations and holy water sprouting evanescent stars and puzzles of grades to saffron climax
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...k-2024-edition

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    I am a Christian and I pray to God and Jesus.
    Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    Jesus and the Creator.
    So Christianity is polytheist except for like the Unitarians!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coeruleum Blue View Post
    Praying to something or someone doesn't necessarily mean you consider them a god. The Latin root word for pray is precari, meaning "to ask earnestly, to beg, or entreat."

In any case, you should look up what the Trinity means.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    Praying to something or someone doesn't necessarily mean you consider them a god. The Latin root word for pray is precari, meaning "to ask earnestly, to beg, or entreat."

In any case, you should look up what the Trinity means.
    This thread specifically asks for gods and people unconsciously considered Jesus a god to them. Additionally, I consider the trinity polytheism. I have never heard a good argument for it beyond "humans cannot understand because sin has destroyed their minds beyond all hope!" and that argument can be used to rationalize literally anything.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aside from being an extremely antirationalist argument to the point where the arguments for it seem utterly arbitrary and like they invalidate the ability to argue rationally for anything at all, the doctrine of the trinity implies God is literally dead. God is not a person in the doctrine of the trinity, God is an essence which a limited number of exemplify to greater and lesser degrees. That reduces God to an unconscious force, maybe to something like a color or a note or a fluid. I also find it contradicts some common arguments such as the perfection argument. Speaking as a person, I find being a conscious person extremely superior to being an unconscious force, and that I see as being one of the strong motivators behind why people believe in God to begin with, the desire for personal immortality rather than some kind of impersonal immortality as an idea or what-have-you. Additionally, what is a god if not, definitionally, a divine person? Multiple divine persons seems definitionally like polytheism.

TIM
    ILI-H
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aside from being an extremely antirationalist argument to the point where the arguments for it seem utterly arbitrary and like they invalidate the ability to argue rationally for anything at all, the doctrine of the trinity implies God is literally dead. God is not a person in the doctrine of the trinity, God is an essence which a limited number of exemplify to greater and lesser degrees. That reduces God to an unconscious force, maybe to something like a color or a note or a fluid. I also find it contradicts some common arguments such as the perfection argument. Speaking as a person, I find being a conscious person extremely superior to being an unconscious force, and that I see as being one of the strong motivators behind why people believe in God to begin with, the desire for personal immortality rather than some kind of impersonal immortality as an idea or what-have-you. Additionally, what is a god if not, definitionally, a divine person? Multiple divine persons seems definitionally like polytheism.
    It is fortunate for you that several ecumenical councils have been held on the subject so that you can simply read their findings instead of shamelessly vomiting forth heresy. The Christian religion is not polytheistic.
    >Some disagree with me. They suck.

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many if not most pantheons acknowledge a Creator who came before the other gods.
    I acknowledge one singular Creator. I also believe everyone is the Creator and everything. However, I don't pray or call out to religious dieties generally. I will sometimes invoke some of the archangels, though, especially if I am doing a blessing for protection. I sometimes confer with my spirit guides but not enough. I also believe calling out to one's higher self is beneficial but, again, I don't do it enough.
    When you think about it, any prayer or mantra is really a call to the higher self for guidance. But I often, out of habit, consult Jesus for guidance since he is a template for the next step in human evolution.
    The New Testament is pretty much about rising into Christ consciousness.

I have an acquaintance who is into the Classical pantheons and is trying to get me interested in Paganism. I don't really feel an urge to pray to Odin, though. However, I see many such dieties more as archetypes which can aid in magical work/alchemy in a similar vein of socionics being a system of archetypes useful for similar alchemy.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This thread specifically asks for gods
    I originally made this thread as kind of a joke, an impersonation of a line from Conan:the Barbarian. I find it funny that people are hanging on to the original title in such a literal fashion.

I was (positively) surprised at how many people responded. I found the answers interesting to read. I like that people answered with their beleifs, gods or not, whether they pray or not etc. The answers don't have to follow the title in a hyper literal fashion, in other words.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sudo View Post
    It is fortunate for you that several ecumenical councils have been held on the subject so that you can simply read their findings instead of shamelessly vomiting forth heresy. The Christian religion is not polytheistic.
    Just because someone said something doesn't mean I have to agree with it. Anyways, to be a heretic I would have to be a part of your church. Otherwise you are just using heresy in a very Warhammer-like way where everything you don't like is heresy.

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    Many if not most pantheons acknowledge a Creator who came before the other gods.
    I see that as evidence the other gods are fake.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12