View Poll Results: what type is Grimes (Claire Boucher)?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • ILE (ENTp)

3 10.71%
  • SEI (ISFp)

1 3.57%
  • ESE (ESFj)

0 0%
  • LII (INTj)

1 3.57%
  • SLE (ESTp)

0 0%
  • IEI (INFp)

5 17.86%
  • EIE (ENFj)

3 10.71%
  • LSI (ISTj)

0 0%
  • SEE (ESFp)

0 0%
  • ILI (INTp)

0 0%
  • LIE (ENTj)

0 0%
  • ESI (ISFj)

6 21.43%
  • IEE (ENFp)

10 35.71%
  • SLI (ISTp)

0 0%
  • LSE (ESTj)

1 3.57%
  • EII (INFj)

1 3.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Grimes (Claire Boucher) - musician

TIM
    Sx/Sp 2w3
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soundofconfusion View Post
    oh you mean like this one: I think you’re failing to realize the part where she is simply playing a role

you know who likes to play a role? Fe valuing types. you know who cares about authenticity? Fi valuing types. didn't you doubt your own type a few months ago, just like hag? it seems clear to me that you don't have a huge understanding of functions, so it's personally really hard to take your arguments seriously.

of course, but it doesn't even remotely make sense for grimes. you should listen to EII artists like Talk Talk, John Fahey, Leonard Cohen, The National, Arcade Fire, Hope Sandoval to get an idea of EII music. it's much more quiet.
    lol

I possess traits of two types that I was uncertain of because of the stereotypes and misconceptions that they both carry... I don’t see how this negates my typing skills, especially when it’s much easier for an Exxx type to perceive and judge people outside of themselves rather than their own self. I could say a thing or two about your own typing skills considering that you are using superficial stereotypes to back up what little you’re saying.

Playing a role does not make someone inherently inauthentic. Playing a role is at (haha) the heart of the enneagram heart types, no matter if they’re Fe or Fi valuing. Yes, 4s, too. So far in her career, she’s been playing a quirky manic pixie girl eschewing her own manic pixie dream girl qualities by having heavy statements to make using the -mostly- accessible quirky image. It is both a role in that I get the feeling that she plays this part up more than what is naturally there, but it is still a natural part of her. You can play a role in society AND be authentic at the same time, and in fact I think Fi types are the best at doing BOTH. (I agree that Fe is more inclined to play a role that has no real substance behind it, but Fe CAN be very authentic and Fi CAN be fake. Typology is a much more complex art form than you seem to be able to grasp, but I wouldn’t expect a logical type to truly understand it anyways. ) You are going off so many watered down MBTI borrowed stereotypes that it’s utterly ridiculous.

I can think of hundreds of Fi valuing artists, especially enneagram 3 ones, who are playing up a role that is still tied in to their authentic self. Nicki Minaj, Cardi B, Miley Cyrus, Christina Aguilera, Elvis Presley, Megan Thee Stallion, DaBaby, the list goes on (I’m using easily recognizable SEE -mostly- e3s as examples to further my point.). A true artist will find a way to express their thoughts/feelings (even if it’s not coming directly from their own music), AND make it accessible/personable to OTHER people (this is where the image and aesthetic come into play.) That, and Fe is absolutely not the only function to embody another point of view in music and just in general. I would say Fe and Ne have the most strength in those areas because they represent themes of humanity on a grander scale and ALTERNATIVE VIEWPOINTS (the latter is especially Ne- to swerve into seemingly opposite thoughts or behaviors for the sake of experimentation and guess what— Grimes herself has said those darker songs you referenced are merely an experiment to see where it goes.).

Those trendy artists I mentioned? All of them were playing up an image but were authentic at the same time. Especially Nicki Minaj who has actual personas with their own names (Roman Zolanski, Chun Li, etc.) that she’s created, but she clearly has no issue expressing her personal sentiments. Guess what, the music industry runs on artists having to carefully craft and cultivate their image and aesthetic but that doesn’t detract from their own authenticity— and artists tend to mostly be heart types in the enneagram because heart types eat that shit up.

If she’s not EII-Ne, I would peg her as IEE-Ne. Ne is so hard to miss in her that it has to be her subtype regardless. It’s clear she’s NF, and it’s clear she values Ne end of story.

Now please try to come back at me with a well thought argument that isn’t based on outdated function stereotypes because everyone is more complex than a simple set of functions. My apologies if this seemed to come off as a rant or seemed angry which it probably does when I’m not fully (though maybe very slightly ) intending it to be. That is my weak, but valued Se at work if we are going to run typology through stereotypes.

p.s. I see plenty of similarity between Arcade Fire and Grimes with both putting out NF themes, but I actually see Arcade Fire as being more focused on ONE theme and sticking to it (Neon Bible?), so I believe AF is actually more Ni than Grimes in that respect. It would be more useful to compare Grimes to other artists in her direct sub genre.
    ・゚*✧ 𝓘 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒶𝒸𝒸𝑒𝓅𝓉 𝒶 𝓁𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝓘 𝒹𝑜 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒹𝑒𝓈𝑒𝓇𝓋𝑒 ✧*:・゚

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The kind of girl you match with on Tinder because you both like creative stuff but really she's too cool for you because deep inside you are actually a dork even though everyone thinks you're cool

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She seems LII to me.

Professional IEI Identifier on a peaceful hiatus's Avatar
    TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

----
    my ideas about socionics:

https://soziotypen.de/thoughts-on-socionics/

the section will be updated ever other month or so.

this is a VI thread with IEI examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...-(IEI-edition)

and this is a thread with EIE examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...s-EIE-examples

TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbbds View Post
    She seems LII to me.
    you know what I fear more than anything else? pain and physical damage to my body. you know why? because I have Se as vulnerable function. it's called Force for a reason. I've never even remotely thought about getting a tattoo for this reason, and I'm often worried about physical threats.

is Grimes really your idea of a type with Se as vulnerable function?

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I might go even with LSI.

This is the kind of person you need to see face face in order to type.
    I have met effin externally float looking LSI (Ni mobilized) females before and she might also be one. The best giveaway for them is their innate need to be active and silent.

Looking at her interview I think Ni base is off limits as is Se vulnerable.

mb somewhere near SEE'ish?
    Last edited by The Reality Denialist; 02-20-2020 at 05:25 PM.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEE and LSI? these typings are getting more and more ridiculous . she is not a sensing type. she openly mentioned that she struggles with the pragmatic aspects of her pregnancy, sharing many of her emotions on twitter. she even created an instagram profile for her unborn baby, making me wonder if she treats her child as some kind of art project.

https://www.instagram.com/warnymph/

she worries a lot about the future, it's the major focus of her art. here's a desciption of her new album:

Miss Anthropocene is a concept album that revolves around the titular character, an anthropomorphic goddess of climate-change. Musically, the record is darker and not as upbeat as Grimes' previous albums. The villainous character, Miss Anthropocene, is a psychedelic space-dwelling demon or beauty queen who “relishes the end of the world”, and is composed of ivory and oil. The characters on the album were inspired by Grime’s fascination with Roman and Greek mythology.
    I love Godly personifications of abstract/horrific concepts (for example, Mars as the Roman god of war) – so I wanted to update the list to include our modern issues.

how do you all struggle to see Ni base in her is beyond me. she is such an obvious example of an IEI.

Ni from Gulenko:

In psychological terms, the T-state is experienced as victimity (sacrifice). This state is most religiously colored, as it is imbued with the desire to be liberated from all earthly, carnal, binding spirit. In the T state, a person is drawn to a mysterious, otherworldly, transcendental. In its immoderate manifestation, it leads to hallucinations, the emergence of various mystical visions. Another shade of experience in the intuition of time - this is subject to fate, the lack of free will, life at the behest of the higher forces.

you can find these themes everywhere in her art. Grimes on her album Art Angels:

The album cover shows a banshee portrayed as the planet Earth. She mentions this kind of “fairy woman” who wails before someone’s death or misfortune in the album’s 9th track, "Pin". Her dying aspect with blood tears symbolizes the planet’s struggle to find balance with our endless consumption and exploration, while her third eye stands for her enlightenment in relation to all human race, giving to her a perception beyond ordinary sight. The cover sums up the whole concept of the album, where Grimes is in a constant conversation with this spiritual figure (known as the planet Earth), showing our disruptive relationship with the place where we were all born.
    Last edited by on a peaceful hiatus; 02-20-2020 at 06:40 PM.

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

child as an object? Isn't that Se?
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

TIM
    ISTP
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She's IEE. Very cute also, the way IEE often are (they age very well and mature slowest of all types IMO). Many like to have a "tough" esthetic which some may confuse with Se. Lots of piercings and tattoos are common for IEE, it's Si-base that avoid those.

TIM
    SLE
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Themes are not enough.

Ne/Si ego also

get into mythology
    gravitate to the occult
    get tattoos
    explore hard bondage, domination, sadism, & masochism; yes even Se Polr
    explore themes of force & violence.

Grimes has experienced the powerlessness of sexual assault, gender discrimination, and media bullying. She has real-life trauma to draw on for song content.

But that is not enough to make her Beta or IEI. Reinventing Beta/Gamma pop culture references, attempting to reclaim "girl power," celebrating power and violence in music =/= Se seeking. Experiences, opportunities, insecurities, shape which themes an artists works with. Socionics is information metabolism: How you process the themes. What you do with the themes. Who responds to your interpretation, and who doesn't, and why.

You say her album has IEI themes

Which tracks/lines are you calling ego block introverted intuition with extroverted feeling
    Which tracks/lines are you calling seeking Se.

https://genius.com/albums/Grimes/Art-angels

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The Ni seems bit too explicit. Bases are supposed to hide it well.

Only avail via facial expressions (many IEI's make me internally face palm when I see it reflected )
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dead account View Post
    you know what I fear more than anything else? pain and physical damage to my body. you know why? because I have Se as vulnerable function. it's called Force for a reason. I've never even remotely thought about getting a tattoo for this reason, and I'm often worried about physical threats.

is Grimes really your idea of a type with Se as vulnerable function?
    She’s pretty dorky and nerdy and talks with a lisp. Kobe Bryant could’ve killed her by farting at her. She seems generally weak and alpha NT-esque, yes. Not every person of your type is going to have the same quirks that you do, so providing only yourself as an example is just that... one example of one individual, not necessarily representative of everyone of the type.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sb, I actually find your typing of her really interesting as I saw an interview with her once where she talked about how much she loves math and how it’s an important part of her music. I’m not saying an NF can’t share these same sentiments, but there was something very logic-based to me about her in that interview. If I find it, I will share. I like the turn toward a logic-based type for her.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe there is actually an NT connection between her and Elon
    Last edited by thegreenfaerie; 02-22-2020 at 03:05 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to like her when she was into experimental and witch house kind of music. But she's kind of branched off and does all kinds of music now.

It kind of freaks me out a little because back then I thought she made the music as a form of expression or something, like a lot of 4s. But I guess she isn't 4, and probably not 3 either because she's constantly reinventing her self-image and form of expression. I guess that makes her a likely 7. I'd think Elon is probably a 3 because he's more about the success and competition aspects of social status; and 3 and 7 together probably isn't a bad match, regardless of what their actual socionics types are.

I'm probably biased because I know people think Elon is LSI or something like that and I think he's too much of an EJ and probably more practically speaking best thought of as LIE. Grimes too also seems like an extrovert; Elon said in an interview that part of why he likes her is that she she keeps busy doing her own thing. It's a little ironic because Te types seem to want to provide for their family (at least from LSEs I know), but they also seem to have a disdain for when their families don't go out and stay as busy as them about life. But maybe LIEs are a bit different. Or could Musk just be a really intelligent LSE? (with an IEE activator Grimes?)

edit: hmm, doesn't Gulenko see Musk as a kind of controlling task-maker? Could those traits not apply to LSE or even Te as well though? (Maybe I should add to the Elon thread.)
    previously Megadoodoo

TIM
    whatever
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think she's one of those xNFp types that is hard to figure out. Like I said before, I used to feel like she was a sort of sister. She does have some darker themes, but I don't think that necessarily means Se valuing at all. I've known many Si/Ne valuers who are into those same sorts of themes. E4 influence would help that too.

TIM
    LSI
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enneagram 7.

Pe lead.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, 7 is quite possible, Pe lead as well

TIM
    ILE-Ne SX/SP 5w6
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She is the poster child for ILE-Ne, and I actually think she is 6w7 and So/Sx

Se-things are her role
    Last edited by mightylizard; 06-03-2020 at 11:31 PM.

TIM
    LSI
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mightylizard View Post
    She is the poster child for ILE-Ne, and I actually think she is 6w7 and So/Sx

Se-things are her role
    I don't think she's defended like core 6.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEE
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    HN-SLI-Te
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILE-Ne

TIM
    ISTP
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, ILE-Ne might actually work and explain the relationship with Elon better. Female Ne bases VI somewhat similarly to me but she seems more Ti than Fi.

TIM
    ILE-Ne SX/SP 5w6
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    I don't think she's defended like core 6.
    Could you elaborate on what you mean here? I would definitely be willing to consider other enneagrams for her.

TIM
    LSI
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mightylizard View Post
    Could you elaborate on what you mean here? I would definitely be willing to consider other enneagrams for her.
    So, type 6 is centered around being able to defend the self in this world, which of course can take many shapes (phobic, counter phobic, everything in-between). When going through Grimes' interviews and work, I don't see much of her style reflecting that kind of attitude.

Type 7, which I think is her main fixation, is easier to find. Lots of themes around running away from her fears (and "going" places) and losing herself in ecstasy (and party, and...) when everything else falls apart. Also, her body language does not betray much of a defended stance (which you may be able to spot in type 6).

TIM
    ILE-Ne SX/SP 5w6
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    So, type 6 is centered around being able to defend the self in this world, which of course can take many shapes (phobic, counter phobic, everything in-between). When going through Grimes' interviews and work, I don't see much of her style reflecting that kind of attitude.

Type 7, which I think is her main fixation, is easier to find. Lots of themes around running away from her fears (and "going" places) and losing herself in ecstasy (and party, and...) when everything else falls apart. Also, her body language does not betray much of a defended stance (which you may be able to spot in type 6).
    This makes sense to me. Yes, I could definitely see her as a 7w6.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She reminds me of an ILE I know in this video... maybe it's just mutual ADHD though, I'm not sure o.O She seems to be a woman of many sides

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely not Se-polr. I think she is Ne-dom.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I advise anyone who thinks this woman is a sensing type of any kind to watch this video. I know she's pregnant and women get weird cravings for food when they're pregnant.

However, she is the embodiment of 1D Si. Her outfits and eating habits are so spot on with troubles with low Si.

This was a cute moment. I think IEE makes sense, I also think EIE. Elon is awkward and she helps him feel comfortable.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She's a clear intuitive. Logic > ethics. Waaay way way Alpha. ILE.

So she is Elon's supervisor? Interesting...

TIM
    EII Sx/Sp 9w1 (954)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She’s ILE

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hellohellohello View Post
    So she is Elon's supervisor? Interesting...
    IEI - ILE, - mirage

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Musk lacks "child-like" Alpha NT irritability, distancing and carelessness in social grace typical in Fe HA of ILEs. He is involved in conversation and is attentive to how he is perceived and that translates to his non verbals as well. I think Gulenko is right with Beta. Unless one thinks the only difference between Alpha and Beta is the quality of food.
    Sicuramente cercherai il significato di questo.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234