Thread: Baby made from three parents' DNA

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Baby made from three parents' DNA

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23079276

So which ladies here want to enter into a ternary nuptial agreement with me ...

Creepy-bg

i want a baby combining myself with a dragon and a pony.
    Last edited by bg; 06-28-2013 at 05:29 PM.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AbsurdEnough View Post
    Too expensive, impractical, and not useful for the average fornicator, but if it could help 10 couples per year, and 10 children have more energy, then it can benefit society.
    It's not simply about "having more energy". Dysfunctional mitochondria cause a lot of problems, the ones mentioned in the article (muscle weakness, blindness, heart failure and death) are just a part of that. I know someone who suffers from such a disease and his life quality is severely reduced. Women who have this genetic defect wouldn't be able to reproduce risk-free without measures like this.

Quote Originally Posted by article
    Every time Sharon Bernardi became pregnant, she hoped for a healthy child. But all seven of her children died from a rare genetic disease that affects the central nervous system - three of them just hours after birth.
    I'm sure it's horrible to find out that your children will most likely have genetic defects, but did she really need to try it seven times? And even if the child survived, it had to deal with the disease. How ethical is that?
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's seriously cool. Thanks @xerx

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're welcome.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bg View Post
    i want a baby combining myself with a dragon and a pony.
    lawl

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Method one is unethical. Method two is positive.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

2 females/one male. still HETEROSEXIST. i will only be satisfied in life until i can get pregnant from sean buttfucking me.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ethical? People continually birth defect babies... So terrible. Our modern economy is not ethical either. Ethics are quite devalued and dumbed down to robotic customs and "what you can get away with".

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is also likely that children would have no right to know who the egg donor was
    Brings up questions about ancestral DNA tests. Mitochrondrial DNA comes only from your mother, passed intact (not counting any mutations that might occur) from mother to child, and so it becomes a useful tool in tracking ancestry. If they take a test that tracks mDNA, their results will show the ancestry of the donor, rather than their own mother. Also, some of those tests allow people to find other people who have taken the test who have similar results so people can find relatives. As the testing becomes more common, and the database of results larger, it will become easier to find those donors, or at least people closely related to the donors. Because it will lead them to their donors family rather than their own, would they be restricted from taking those tests, or having access to the full results available?

It's interesting to think about because we each have a direct ancestral tie to our maternal great-great-great-great grandmothers, and now you can have people who will seem to be of one lineage (via genetic testing) while having someone else's DNA. Mitochrondria are really cool and interesting in how they work and are passed on through generations. This new IVF method is in essence piggybacking a person's DNA on another's line. Ha, it seems kind of parasitic if you think about it that way.