Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quotes and Information Elements

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, for me, VI only points to something that might be, just like this other stuff. I'm not a big fan of VI.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labocat View Post
    i'm curious why VI is being dealt so much less harsh a condemnation than this thread. if you can't read a type from tiny subtle cues in the kind of phrases the person uses, what makes you all think reading types from subtle cues in a person's face makes any more sense.
    I don't believe that it is the case that you cannot get clues pointing towards someones type from the types and wording of phrases they use. My disagreement is with the idea that a phrase or word itself contains an objective type of information seperate from the reader. This is not to say that this kind of exercise is pointless, I don't think it is, however it is important to keep in mind that the person has the type and despite being the author of the words that they use, the words exist independently of the author, and all meaning found within the words is imposed upon them by the reader. However when it comes to shared meanings of course there are words and phraes which resonate, either universally or across a significant portion of a society, I think that it is worthwhile looking at these phrases and seeing which ones contain htese enrgies that resonate strongly with a perceived energy. However, most everyday phrases in themselves, without a context in which to construct a meaning, are pretty useless. The same sentence can be said by all types, either with the same intended meaning or with totally different intended meanings,

I am sceptical of VI.

Despite this I think both are worth exploring.

"I'd like some toast"
    Last edited by somavision; 11-15-2011 at 02:59 PM.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labocat View Post
    i'm curious why VI is being dealt so much less harsh a condemnation than this thread. if you can't read a type from tiny subtle cues in the kind of phrases the person uses, what makes you all think reading types from subtle cues in a person's face makes any more sense.
    Language takes a more vague form as they say "a picture is worth a thousand words." Someone's expressions remain more similar throughout their life than what they talk about at any given moment, which although may appear to change much more constantly, is still quite nuanced with their personality as well. So you use both, with context. Everything you type from, physical or lingual expression, all has to relate back to capturing the essence of a type. It's not a matter of logic "what makes sense in theory" but empiricism, and it's most of all about getting the 'big picture' which is why VI can work rather well and why a little snippet for a concrete phrasing doesn't work much at all.

Also, way to warp the subject.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    Lol, hypocrisy.
    How so?

And projection.
    Lol tell me it's not true.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry guys... I wasn't trying to generate controversy... I will be more prudent in the future.
    What is a utopia? A dream unrealized, but not unrealizable. -- Joseph Dejacque
    EII (INFj) - 9w1 - INFP - Scorpio - Hufflepuff
    Johari - Fediverse

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Taknamay View Post
    Sorry guys... I wasn't trying to generate controversy... I will be more prudent in the future.
    Don't worry about it, people will make a controversy out of anything.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Taknamay View Post
    Heh it's no biggy. I think a lot of people who come into socionics are first interested in this catchy aspect of model functioning to theorize about in simple terms because they are easy to communicate, and is a format more multi-faceted to apply additional biases to, but for those who have been here longer you'd expect them take the more sophisticated approach and not try to influence that kind of loose illiterate thinking, at least point new people in the right direction rather than keep them at the first-grade level, so to speak.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by poli View Post
    Heh it's no biggy. I think a lot of people who come into socionics are first interested in this catchy aspect of model functioning to theorize about in simple terms because they are easy to communicate, and is a format more multi-faceted to apply additional biases to, but for those who have been here longer you'd expect them take the more sophisticated approach and not try to influence that kind of loose illiterate thinking, at least point new people in the right direction rather than keep them at the first-grade level, so to speak.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Your quote also tells me that the deciding factor is not how the person feels or what impression they receive from external stimuli but are moved by what is happening; the outside scenario, circumstance, and event propels and moves the person into action, which is an indication of extravert.

You will also notice, from the audience to this thread and the activities here, that there are very few rational types, because you aren't getting that many people judging the quote, and there are very few analysis types like Ti ego, activators, etc; most people, forum members included are perceiving, which means registering what is happening and not judging.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"If you never have any disagreements, someone is obviously lying. Or has no personality. Both are bad."

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    "If you never have any disagreements, someone is obviously lying. Or has no personality. Both are bad."
    EIE or ESI

at least valued Se and Negativist Ethics.
    Last edited by Amber; 04-25-2015 at 09:45 AM.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

“You'll have a good, secure life when being alive means more to you than security, love more than money, your freedom more than public or partisan opinion, when the mood of Beethoven's or Bach's music becomes the mood of your whole life … when your thinking is in harmony, and no longer in conflict, with your feelings … when you let yourself be guided by the thoughts of great sages and no longer by the crimes of great warriors … when you pay the men and women who teach your children better than the politicians; when truths inspire you and empty formulas repel you; when you communicate with your fellow workers in foreign countries directly, and no longer through diplomats...”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12