Thread: What types do you feel the most vs least need to entertain?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default What types do you feel the most vs least need to entertain?

My longest-lasting best friend in school was very introverted, probably EII or SEI. She was pleasant company, but didn't talk much and her intelligence level was lower than mine. So I often felt like her entertainment. I would do most of the talking, and when she laughed I felt I was doing it right.

As an extrovert, I sometimes feel like it's my duty to keep conversation going, to keep people from growing bored. And I was considering whether there was a type this was more prevalent with.

I thought I don't have that much with LIIs, then remembered I've behaved like an ESE to entertain an LII before.
    I don't think I feel the need to entertain LSIs, mostly because I know if I tried I'd be likely to annoy them.
    I do think I feel the need to entertain SLIs, but mostly because I don't expect anyone else to.
    I also often feel the need to entertain EIIs.
    I guess I don't see extroverts as needing entertained as much, but as needing stimulated. Like just talking would be enough for an introvert, but with an extrovert they would want a thing going on.

Of course, it's more relaxing to not feel the need to entertain anyone (including myself).
    I was wondering what others' views on this were. (Maybe it's related to my stacking.)

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I feel I should entertain someone, I avoid them.
    If someone is seeking entertainment and invites me along, that's a different story as the pressure isn't on me to provide it.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    If I feel I should entertain someone, I avoid them.
    If someone is seeking entertainment and invites me along, that's a different story as the pressure isn't on me to provide it.
    My sentiments, exactly.

Although as Abbie alluded to, with certain individuals or small groups, i can sometimes feel pressure to extravert more in order to be pleasant company or to mediate the bonding, make people feel comfy with each other (especially if they dont know one another). That only happens though when all of the people involved are awkwardly silent (which is a rare occurrence, but... i've been there... ). Typically, i'll try to use my judgement on who among my friends to bring together, though, keeping things like that in mind.

But yeah, i dont really pursue friendship with people who expect to be entertained by me (i dont think it's type related either).
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Bases on my limited experiences (which is perhaps more dependent on the individuals rather than innate personality): I remember various interactions with EIEs with dumbfounded expressions that perhaps gave me this feeling. Also, interactions with LSIs and ESIs have left me feeling on guard: I might be able to predict their general pattern of behaviour, but I find it difficult to feel that we "share special moments" (we share moments from having a similar disposition, but it can feel like shadowboxing I suppose: we "get" each other, but interactions feel somewhat unsatisfactory).

hiatus
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Director Abbie, this sounds like a very caretaker-extratim thing to do.

As for myself, being very quiet, it is difficult for me to "entertain" people in the way you describe. However, in my experience I feel like some people are entertained just by having someone listen to them. I often fill the role of a "good listener", for people like this, and I don't usually mind.

As long as someone starts a conversation and is being pleasant and kind, I have no problem listening or contributing. It is hard for me to contribute to conversations if I don't care about the subject; however, I have enough interests that this isn't typically too much of a problem, at least with people I'm closer with.

hiatus
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for specific types, ILEs (and to a lesser extent, IEEs) especially seem to be entertained when people to listen to all of their ideas, and being theoretically bent myself I like to evaluate them and entertain possibilities too. That is fun for me. It's just that they tend to prefer that someone always listens to them and coddles them, which isn't what I do as much. Si-dom seeking, basically.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Least likely type: Guys

Most likely type: Women

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like telling bad jokes on the16types after work

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I can't really entertain people, so people probably feel like they have to be the ones to talk to me. I don't mind being talked to if the person is giving information that is at least halfway interesting. Otherwise I would rather just be silent, or at least not be pressured to speak. When I have something to say I will say it, but otherwise I don't even really feel like me trying to entertain would help, it would just make the situation worse. I'm just not enthusiastic about much.

People I talk to the easiest would be alpha NTs, because even if I would bore half the people to sleep with what I'm saying, usually I can say whatever and they respond. People I have too much distance to talk to correctly would be deltas and gammas. I either feel like there is too much of a disconnect to be able to say anything that will affect them or that I can't understand their motivations correctly. This all affects whether I can keep their minds busy or not.

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

People scare me. I just start a discussion or throw out a card/board game or an ExxJ friend out for long enough to distract them and get the ball rolling so they don't notice my escape.
    [Today 07:57 AM] Raver: Life is a ride that lasts very long, but still a ride. It is a dream that we have yet to awaken from.

It's hard to find a love through every shade of grey.

Your family thinks I'm a criminal
    TIM
    SLE-Se
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

I entertain everyone. Entertaining is fun. I like it a lot.
    I do not suffer fools gladly.

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm normally fine not being entertained for most periods of time. I think an LII gift is withstanding a lot of boredom. But normally when I'm mentaly exhausted and can't get lost in my thoughts any more (say after spending ages studying, or after a busy day when I'm wanting to just sleep) I'll want stimulation from people.

I find that extroverts need to be entertained more. I've been learning to be OK with my introversion, so just not doing anything when I cbs, and other introverts are more OK with that. Ethical extroverts, on the other hand, are the worst. Logical extroverts are often able to talk about stuff they're interested with only mild prodding from me, which means they don't need to be entertained as much as heard - and listening is less energy intense.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    ILE ELVF sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've found myself trying to entertain (mostly by telling stories and trying to appear the most outgoing possible) several EIIs, SEIs and one LII. The EIIs lost interest pretty quickly to my great chagrin while the LII didn't seem to mind. With the SEIs it's not so much "entertainment" since it usually turns into a conversation.
    I've never tried to entertain groups, only single people.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm more concerned with being entertained than in entertaining others. Typically, my thoughts entertain me and I don't need other people to be entertained.

I don't like being pressured into trying to entertain others. I'm not that good at it. I still don't like being seen as boring even though I probably am perceived that way by many.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm usually bothered by people trying to entertain me because it distracts me from thinking

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The type with the bag of peanuts. Very annoying.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

TIM
    Ni-ENTj 8w9 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I kind of echo the idea that it's more a Si/Ne thing to feel the need to entertain others. I catch desire in people wanting to be entertained and that they almost expect it. It generally annoys the shit out of me. They're free to leave at any time, and they usually do.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Not sure about the types, but I noticed that I come off really too serious/stern in groups - and I just bring the energy down.

Or the opposite. I say one thing, and everybody cracks up - and also talks about it for a long time. I kinda just drop one little bomb and everybody else provides the follow through. Both online and IRL =D My mom says one minute I'm really happy and sociable, the next I'm really negative/in a moody/self-absorbed/anti-social place lol.

I don't really strike a natural balance. The natural flow of conversation is still awkward for me, and makes me feel uncomfortable. =/

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

what does entertaining mean?

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's an si/ne sort of thing? really? yay it's not me therefore it's you style thinking. it's hard keeping an si/typing in this place.

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

My longest-lasting best friend in school was very introverted, probably EII or SEI. She was pleasant company, but didn't talk much and her intelligence level was lower than mine. So I often felt like her entertainment. I would do most of the talking, and when she laughed I felt I was doing it right.

As an extrovert, I sometimes feel like it's my duty to keep conversation going, to keep people from growing bored. And I was considering whether there was a type this was more prevalent with.

I thought I don't have that much with LIIs, then remembered I've behaved like an ESE to entertain an LII before.
    I don't think I feel the need to entertain LSIs, mostly because I know if I tried I'd be likely to annoy them.
    I do think I feel the need to entertain SLIs, but mostly because I don't expect anyone else to.
    I also often feel the need to entertain EIIs.
    I guess I don't see extroverts as needing entertained as much, but as needing stimulated. Like just talking would be enough for an introvert, but with an extrovert they would want a thing going on.

Of course, it's more relaxing to not feel the need to entertain anyone (including myself).
    I was wondering what others' views on this were. (Maybe it's related to my stacking.)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maithili View Post

huh, i didn't say that?

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESI, for some reason. But I only have one example, so maybe its not type related. Or, maybe its how one feels about a Supervisee? My Alzheimer's Mom is ESI, and she frequently seeks attention. She does it by asking questions, one after the other after the other. Because of her affliction, unfortunately, it the same questions over and over. (All the time: "Are we going out now??" also, 'Where did all the people go??"). I know its because she wants entertainment, so, I have to stop and do something with her, and if I don't there is no stopping the questions. Often its a walk. (she gets a LOT of them!) Or string beads. And its not just her affliction. When I was growing up, she would do a similar thing, with asking questions, like the "How was your day?" when we came home from school. I felt such pressure to come up with something, and, if it was too short, then came more questions and her irritation if it was not "entertaining" enough (she did not say it was not entertaining; I just knew I had to make it "better"-sounding, to generate more details and specifics that seemed meaningless to me, in order to satisfy her). She wanted a report, and she wanted it to be entertaining enough...

Years later, after a long unsatisfying mother/daughter relationship, I thought when I had a child that would change everything. She would love my baby, and love me, and finally we would be close! But sometime after my son was born my parents took in a French student who was doing a teacher internship at the local high school. So I had this amazing new baby, but all I ever heard of was Luc, Luc, Luc. She loved Luc! Luc was loquacious and enthusiastic, and she LOVED hearing Luc talk. And when she came to see me, that's all I heard about. Luc! He had a very friendly, very outgoing personality, and in later years when I subbed at that school all the teachers remembered him. This Luc-love my Mom had probably had something to do with my SLI dad. They had a great marriage, but my Dad was not a big talker...
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't feel the need to entertain: LSI, LII, ESE, EIE, EII, LSE

Feel the need to entertain: IEE, SLI, SEI, ILE, SEE, ESI, IEI, SLE, ILI, LIE

Interesting almost all the ones I feel like I would want to entertain are Ep/Ip except for LIE and ESI

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel it really depends on the person and can not be so easily generalized, but I believe, that SLI needs perhaps the least entertiment , while SEE needs the most of it.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post

"I do nothing for your pleasure."

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't really feel the need to entertain anyone or really anything about it... i can see why if one felt obligated to entertain another that this might be a problem. mainly, i can be fairly good at entertaining myself when i'm alone, which i am most of the time. i suspect i have poor awareness on this matter... i probably am not noticing desires to entertain or be entertained around me. i am always very aware of my own level of boredom, interest or stimulation though. usually i feel boredom is imposed by an environment, like if a task at work is boring, but i must get it done, so the boredom drags on in an unbearable way. so i am aware of a need to escape these boring oppositions > a need to be entertained. also, because i hate boring situations i can't get out of, i tend to be sympathetic to other people who are in boring situations they can't get out of.

netflix and don't touch me Emmym's Avatar
    TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I feel stuck trying to entertain most intuitives, but especially EIIs and LIIs. That is some low key infuriating shit. Next would probably be beta NFs (though this varies--I've met some IEIs who naturally took up just as much of the burden as I did... I cherish those people lmao), then ILEs, then gamma NTs, then IEEs. I hardly ever feel the need to entertain beta STs, gamma SFs or LSEs. SLIs would be the sensors I feel it with the most. alpha SFs... (shrug)

With gamma NTs, I feel like I can easily get on the same page with them, but if I don't give them enough Se (let's be honest, I never do, lmfao) then they look for greener pastures. And that's fine with me. Sometimes LIEs' pushiness gets stressful--it's hard to tell them "no" without being too forceful and acting like a dick.
    someday the grapes will be wine
    and someday you will be mine

EII-Ne 2w3 - 9w1 - 7w8 so/sx

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i don't feel the need to entertain people. i'm quiet and when i'm around other people who are quiet i sort of expect that they'll either entertain themselves, talk, or suck it up like i do, lol...i don't feel like all of the responsibility is on me (barring the more blatant "awkward silence" moments).

around some IxTx types i naturally become more animated and feeling a happy desire to entertain than usual. afaict, its not limited by temperament or quadra, but just the occasional introverted logical type i feel an immediate chemistry with. maybe something about the cold-blooded communication style.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I entertain everyone with a game of cards against humanity
    ..while they play I serve goodies. Or, I'll put on a movie. I'm terribly quiet and attentive in one on one so I'm boring and not very talkative.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by krieger View Post
    i'm usually bothered by people trying to entertain me because it distracts me from thinking
    hmmm... sounds Fe-POLR...
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I don't mind being entertained but I can also keep myself occupied rather easily. All I need is a computer with a decent internet connection and boom, I'm good. I'd like for someone to come entertain me from time to time though, but I'm not very good at doing it myself. If I am made to entertain them, if talking about complex philosophical or scientific shit isn't working (it rarely does sadly), I resort to my morbid, dark, blunt sense of humor. It's hard to just "produce" it out of thin air though, I usually need them to supply me with a story or an occurrence in their life that I then twist in dark, usually socially unacceptable ways into a cruel joke at someone else's expense. So long as they don't like this person (they usually don't) they start laughing their asses off.

For instance, the boss at my mom's work gives her a lot of flack and she complained the person had no idea how to schedule people (thus she just makes her do the extra jobs that someone else should have been doing). I inquired about her boss's appearance (rather portly and ugly according to her) and inferred that her boss was a dumb bimbo bitch along with other scathing insults. She didn't disagree. Then she played a message she had left her and, sure enough, she even had the "bimbo voice" as I like term it (you know it when you hear it). Upon remarking on that she nearly fell over laughing.

I fear large groups as a result of this. In a large group the chance of someone actually liking the person I'm ripping to shreds increases dramatically, meaning if I start doing it in a large group I am likely to be either ostracized, punched in the face, or shot because "X isn't like that you asshole!", "You're a horrible person, how can you be so mean!", and so on. Thus, if a large group begins to form around me I try to escape the situation as quickly as possible.