Thread: this is how Te works

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Default this is how Te works

I went to the art store to get watercolor paper years ago and there are a ton of choices. I got confused between quality and price. I can be both practice and frugal yet I appreciate quality very much. I called up my cousin and asked which one should I get because too many choices confuse me and dead lock me into not choosing anything and just giving up and walking away. She said "get one of each [paper and cotton] and try them out. See which you like best."
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 08-23-2015 at 05:04 PM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in the proverb of the man who moved a mountain by carrying away stones one by one, Te is what carries the stones. there is rarely extensive designing or premeditation to what it does, it just contributes to a goal a piece of effort that it can muster here and now, acting on something right in front of it. in its most obsessive form, it may decide to move the mountain AFTER it moved stones as in "hey neat, i can do this".

as its social/ethico-emotional counterpart, Fe has much in common with it.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

This approach works really well when buying a car or a home too. Just buy two and see which one I like best. Was the Te coming from the person telling you what to buy? I am not sure how that is specifically Te.

I usually quickly filter out what is ugly or cheap looking when there are a lot of choices then choose the best quality for the lowest price, unless it is something I really really want then I will ignore price, or whether it is practical, if I can afford it, and sometimes even if I can't.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seems to me Maritsa's thing about possibilities referred to Ne, and putting things to the test seemed to correspond to Te (in her mind)

I guess the way I see duality is it's targetting the kind of information you don't essentially absorb into your ego perspective/try to address with it, more or less because they'd be exactly opposite paths, so it doesn't feel so much like an opposition so much as it feels like exactly the things the ego least considers but in theory could benefit from.

So e.g. paying extra attention to feeling states/moods doesn't make much sense, since usually to decide the stable ethical relation between two entities (as one's main agenda), one is reasonably aware of this sort of thing, and is trying to reframe any such data in a more Fi sense. Introverted logic is something that should check out were the ego perspective successfully attained (there should be no contradiction between the ethical relation and the logical relation between things, even if one emphasizes the ethical one).
    It might seem irrelevant to someone seeking one's static relation to a body of objects (including which one is most relevant to oneself) to test out the object's objective functionality.
    But doing so can expose stuff one might've been blind to, and even semi-bolster that Fe-ignoring (by seeing new functionalities, one might uncover affects it has on one's emotional state one was as yet unaware of -- and wouldn't have explored, since a priori most Fe perspective gets channeled in a more Fi direction).

TIM
    SiTe 6w5 sp/so
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    This approach works really well when buying a car or a home too. Just buy two and see which one I like best. Was the Te coming from the person telling you what to buy? I am not sure how that is specifically Te.

I usually quickly filter out what is ugly or cheap looking when there are a lot of choices then choose the best quality for the lowest price, unless it is something I really really want then I will ignore price, or whether it is practical, if I can afford it, and sometimes even if I can't.
    Water colour papers = pretty low expanses = trial and error is a good option
    Car if it's used you have almost the same reselleing price = trial and error is a good option
    Car if it's not used = you loose a lot of money by reselling = trial and error is bad option
    Home you have a lot of expanses plus a lot of time to invest = trial and error is a bad option

Conclusion: Very bad comparison

Note: This is about trial and error and not necessarily buying to of a kind

You're welcome

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by krieger View Post
    in the proverb of the man who moved a mountain by carrying away stones one by one, Te is what carries the stones. there is rarely extensive designing or premeditation to what it does, it just contributes to a goal a piece of effort that it can muster here and now, acting on something right in front of it. in its most obsessive form, it may decide to move the mountain AFTER it moved stones as in "hey neat, i can do this".

Yeah...and this is logic. I get "I'm logical" every day as in I just do what needs to be done now.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

It's logic. In the case of a home it's observation of the time. A buyer's market or a seller's.
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Car if it's used you have almost the same reselleing price = trial and error is a good option
    Car if it's not used = you loose a lot of money by reselling = trial and error is bad option
    Home you have a lot of expanses plus a lot of time to invest = trial and error is a bad option

You're welcome
    Te yummy
    -

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in the proverb of the man who moved a mountain by carrying away stones one by one, Te is what carries the stones. there is rarely extensive designing or premeditation to what it does, it just contributes to a goal a piece of effort that it can muster here and now, acting on something right in front of it. in its most obsessive form, it may decide to move the mountain BEFORE it moved stones as in "hey neat, i can do this" if I plan it this way, then this, then this, then this......

Great point I very much agree, but I edited it to better follow Te in obsessive form from what I have seen...mostly in ESTjs. The endless pre planning, when also mixed with polr Ni is just irritating to no end.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I question your logic of things maritsa. (it's not on attack on your person though or anything like that) It just seems you view anybody you like that shows genuine consideration for you as being a Te person or something, its like socionics give ppl the ability to 'fanwank' into traits they like about other people into functions they value or something. allows you to twist logic to suit your perception of the relationship.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    I question your logic of things maritsa. (it's not on attack on your person though or anything like that) It just seems you view anybody you like that shows genuine consideration for you as being a Te person or something, its like socionics give ppl the ability to 'fanwank' into traits they like about other people into functions they value or something. allows you to twist logic to suit your perception of the relationship.
    Maritsa's story in this particular thread is spot on, what's your issue?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    He just wants to make me out to be someone that I'm not. ..that's his problem
    -

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hes got a good point does it apply to you?

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post

You're welcome
    The comparison was me being facetious since I was curious about how she saw the Te in her friends advice. Was the person LSE or were they SEI...would it make a difference if it was an SEI who gave her the same advice or does she only see it as Te because it came directly from a Te valuer?

I would also suggest the same (trial and error) to a friend for something inexpensive. I do it myself. Incense as an example. I like certain brands because of quality, and how long they last, but sometimes I will be in a novelty store with a friend and they ask me about it like I am an expert. I tell them what I like but then I suggest they buy a few of each and see what they like since we are different.

I learn by trial and error all the time. I read product reviews before shopping and like Marista I can get overwhelmed by too many choices so I try to research things on my own before I buy them. I will also ask other people for their input but only people I trust and I don't always follow their advice. It surprises me when I go into stores and people walk up to me and ask me about a product I am looking at just because I am using my phone as a barcode scanner. I probably would not ask a stranger for advice like that in public.

There was not enough information in the op for someone unfamiliar with socionics to understand so maybe some additional information on how this is an example of Te might have been helpful to someone new. I understood what she was aiming to convey from the beginning. I was just trying to pull more information out of her. She is a teacher of socionics after all.

Thanks.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, but I'd also add that Te is much better suited to multi-tasking and adaptibility because it's on the fly. It may not premeditate as much, but it does know the process of things and has no problem doing things differently in order to complete a process, to deal with unexpected problems, or to do multiple things at once. The Ti leading types I've known generally get frustrated by this, as if everyone is ignoring what they think is a best way to do something. And granted, they are often right, but not always.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

If I give an example but I say mine is about Se but don't give any details other than I am in bed and my friend calls me and tells me I want you to get out of bed and meet me. I tell them I am tired and want to sleep longer but they say "no, now, I want to talk now, so come over". I get up and go meet them.

What functions are we using? Some people might know how that could be interpreted as Se and others might be scratching their heads. I probably would add in a few details like our types and why I chose to get out of bed for them specifically but if it was someone else making the same request I might have gone back to sleep. I am not questioning why she sees it as Te to annoy her although I am sure she sees it like that from past experience. I just prefer if someone is going to make a thread stating this is how something works that they make it clear as to why this is how it works. I think anyone who puts themselves in a teaching position should be able to answer a few questions about their subject and not get defensive about it. If I want clarity I am going to ask but from my experience with her she does not want to answer. Maybe if I paid her she would share more of her knowledge.

This just reminds me how thorough others have been when starting threads about how something works. @Ananke comes to mind and she does not get defensive when asked for clarity.

YWIMW

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I give an example but I say mine is about Se but don't give any details other than I am in bed and my friend calls me and tells me I want you to get out of bed and meet me. I tell them I am tired and want to sleep longer but they say "no, now, I want to talk now, so come over". I get up and go meet them.

What functions are we using? Some people might know how that could be interpreted as Se and others might be scratching their heads. I probably would add in a few details like our types and why I chose to get out of bed for them specifically but if it was someone else making the same request I might have gone back to sleep. I am not questioning why she sees it as Te to annoy her although I am sure she sees it like that from past experience. I just prefer if someone is going to make a thread stating this is how something works that they make it clear as to why this is how it works. I think anyone who puts themselves in a teaching position should be able to answer a few questions about their subject and not get defensive about it. If I want clarity I am going to ask but from my experience with her she does not want to answer. Maybe if I paid her she would share more of her knowledge.

This just reminds me how thorough others have been when starting threads about how something works. @Ananke comes to mind and she does not get defensive when asked for clarity.
    Come on aylen does your point really matter? if you can remember I've pressed you for better more substantiated answers in the past as well. I think bnd was flaming maritsa which is fine whatever she's been taking shit for years.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Come on aylen does your point really matter? if you can remember I've pressed you for better more substantiated answers in the past as well. I think bnd was flaming maritsa which is fine whatever she's been taking shit for years.
    Apparently it matters enough to me to make it. If you pressed me for something in the past I don't remember but I will attempt to clarify better in the future. I know some things can't be clarified to the satisfaction of everyone but I do not claim to be a teacher.

YWIMW

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would also suggest the same (trial and error) to a friend for something inexpensive. I do it myself. Incense as an example. I like certain brands because of quality, and how long they last, but sometimes I will be in a novelty store with a friend and they ask me about it like I am an expert. I tell them what I like but then I suggest they buy a few of each and see what they like since we are different.

I learn by trial and error all the time. I read product reviews before shopping and like Marista I can get overwhelmed by too many choices so I try to research things on my own before I buy them. I will also ask other people for their input but only people I trust and I don't always follow their advice. It surprises me when I go into stores and people walk up to me and ask me about a product I am looking at just because I am using my phone as a barcode scanner. I probably would not ask a stranger for advice like that in public.
    I resonate a lot.

This goes for other things too, not just product shopping -- i will often not even bother asking certain people a certain question because i wont necessarily take their answer seriously, and might even get further misguided by their answer. So i try to be judicious about who i ask what (sometimes i do misjudge though).
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you know i like you wacey but I have to point out that just because maritsa's been taking shit for years doesn't make it "fine, whatever" to just keep on doing it indiscriminately and undeservedly.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    you know i like you wacey but I have to point out that just because maritsa's been taking shit for years doesn't make it "fine, whatever" to just keep on doing it indiscriminately and undeservedly.
    sweet heart I was standing up for her.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sweet heart I was standing up for her.
    OK as long as you were...it wasn't clear to me from that post...but if you were.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't like it when people pick on Maritsa either. Disagreeing with her in a discussion =/= picking on her.

I just think Nyx explained Te better, that's all.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

i thought I'd give an example of my Te seeking. soooo....we were at taco bell and i hear my bf shuffeling me around. he says "come stand here, move here, don't stand there..." we eat and as we were walking out i head to the door where we entered from and have no notice of his location or actions. He calls out to me "Maritsa! this way!" He was exiting through another door. i became so confused and embarrased. he said "you don't notice things around you. you're walking right past me" I said "well that's how we entered and I figured that's how we would exit" He said "but you have to look anound you, you were walking with your head down" I said "I was in my thoughts and following a certAin logic that we would exit where we entered BESIDES IT IS YOUR JOB TO KEEP TRACK OF WHAT IS GOING ON AROUND US SO DON'T start a criticizing mode" naturally when I say things in such a way LSE become embarrased of their harsh statements and unethical comments and he thought that made sense so he appologized.

Nailed that!
    -

^admit that this is y u guyz keep coming back to this forum

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kalinoches View Post
    ^admit that this is y u guyz keep coming back to this forum
    we love each other
    -

TIM
    ESI 684
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post

i thought I'd give an example of my Te seeking. soooo....we were at taco bell and i hear my bf shuffeling me around. he says "come stand here, move here, don't stand there..." we eat and as we were walking out i head to the door where we entered from and have no notice of his location or actions. He calls out to me "Maritsa! this way!" He was exiting through another door. i became so confused and embarrased. he said "you don't notice things around you. you're walking right past me" I said "well that's how we entered and I figured that's how we would exit" He said "but you have to look anound you, you were walking with your head down" I said "I was in my thoughts and following a certAin logic that we would exit where we entered BESIDES IT IS YOUR JOB TO KEEP TRACK OF WHAT IS GOING ON AROUND US SO DON'T start a criticizing mode" naturally when I say things in such a way LSE become embarrased of their harsh statements and unethical comments and he thought that made sense so he appologized.

Nailed that!
    How about you look at your surroundings? Really...was there an exit sign present as well perchance? Or that evac sign whatever.

...really, how about looking at environment? It's a wondrous thing you know .

Those were my first thoughts, so sorry if they were harsh.