Thread: Is Duality over idealised?

"Cool Mafia Godfather" ~SLE Leader's Avatar
    TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes...from my experience anyways. I've been in love before when younger.. or should I say that I have had crushes before when I was younger, but a couple years ago I feel in love with my dual but I never got her. She picked someone else, and that really fucked me up. But it is nothing compared to this most recent girl that I feel in love with, who is my identical (literally...my identical, I had too look up things like "twin flames" to figure out what I was feeling), which pretty much confirmed to me that "God" is real. But God played a trick on me, they same exact situation happened just like the one with my dual and I never got her...the experience was so bad I really don't care about life anymore, I'm numb. I wanted to marry her. With my dual it felt real relaxing and calm and I could feel her presence like it was a magnet drawing me closer. She also was very annoying too... Most female duals are like this, but I've come to realize they are more like friends. Identicals are like sisters that I love and want to sleep with (don't think negative), but they are annoying as hell too. With this one identical though, it was special, I felt heaven, like she gave me life and I knew my purpose in life, but at the same time the energy was so destructive I had to quit my job because I was literally on the verge of killing everybody. People could feel my anger...After this experience I will never get married anymore or have children, I'm just praying to god that I die soon.

Duals however, since I see them as friends...might actually be better long term for marriage like socionics says, but I never wanted to marry my dual....I wanted to date her, and could have had a child with her maybe.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    Yes...from my experience anyways. I've been in love before when younger.. or should I say that I have had crushes before when I was younger, but a couple years ago I feel in love with my dual but I never got her. She picked someone else, and that really fucked me up. But it is nothing compared to this most recent girl that I feel in love with, who is my identical (literally...my identical, I had too look up things like "twin flames" to figure out what I was feeling), which pretty much confirmed to me that "God" is real. But God played a trick on me, they same exact situation happened just like the one with my dual and I never got her...the experience was so bad I really don't care about life anymore, I'm numb. I wanted to marry her. With my dual it felt real relaxing and calm and I could feel her presence like it was a magnet drawing me closer. She also was very annoying too... Most female duals are like this, but I've come to realize they are more like friends. Identicals are like sisters that I love and want to sleep with (don't think negative), but they are annoying as hell too. With this one identical though, it was special, I felt heaven, like she gave me life and I knew my purpose in life, but at the same time the energy was so destructive I had to quit my job because I was literally on the verge of killing everybody. People could feel my anger...After this experience I will never get married anymore or have children, I'm just praying to god that I die soon.

Duals however, since I see them as friends...might actually be better long term for marriage like socionics says, but I never wanted to marry my dual....I wanted to date her, and could have had a child with her maybe.
    It also can be a dual and just not the right person for you because there are a lot of things to consider in addition as personal particularities, education, social background etc etc etc
    Everything happens because it has to occur to prepare your future. Time heals everything. This too shall pass.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amber View Post
    Sx first is the most compatible .... to such an extent that a relationship with an Sx often proves superior to one that should be mana-from-the-sky socionically.

Sx/so is incredibly compatible, but there's lots of tension as well due to a form of "total commitment anxiety". You feel the Sx pull that wants to merge and give it all, but at the same time Sx/so has to feel free to be safe. If you let them be, they come to you. If you make them jealous, they can be like puppies. If you make claims, you risk losing them.

Sp/so is very calming, very dedicated and trustable usually ...it makes for an interesting dynamic.... but I don't think I actually ever had such a partner. So/sp has a fetish for power stuff that -- must admit - sometimes turns me on. It's engaging and demanding, makes me work and think and asks stuff from me, which can be cool. So/sx is very positive, very sweet, but sometimes I don't know if they don't like everyone the same way. We flirt a lot and keep the vibe up high, but there are attachment questions at play. Sp/sx is the most far-off , autistic, and bland to me romantically or erotically speaking.
    Well, this is super-perceptive. Where can I find out more about this?

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dudette88 View Post
    I am ILE and the husband is SEI. While all aspects of duality perfectly apply to our marriage, we both couldn't help but wonder 'doesn't every couple experience this?' We've been married 15 (kick ass) years (3 children in tow) and are high school sweethearts. We are eachother's 'onlies.' I figured we might be abit skeptical because we have no past romantic relationships to compare it to. Is a romantic duality relationship really all that different from other healthy romantic relationships? I've read it requires much less work. I can't imagine having to put in more than we do, granted it is very easy to be around one another. I just assumed the blurring of identities and unexplainable comfort happened in all good relations...

Just interested to see if others who have experienced various relationships could explain, perhaps?
    yes duality is clearly the best, although differing subtypes (accepting/producing) are more like mwoa comfortable and similar subtypes (e.g. accepting/accepting) are like wow magic.

other relationships are just different, with most people you just don't have chemistry. I have dated a lot of girls in a period in my life and i think i've had the whole socion lol. It was quite an experience since i could check how my relationships compared to the descriptions and general complementation of the functions. I do think that every relationship has something different to offer, and duality is just specialized in one thing, so it's good to have different kinds of people around you, but for a long life relationship, duality is the best, and also as if it is the one you were looking for all your life. So it fits.

Duality however is not the only factor, i've noticed that people with borderline etc, can't have a normal relationship, even if it's your dual. Also attraction and life plans come into play. But duality is the biggest part of the puzzle.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer to view the overall socionics foundations as a way of conceptualizing the elements of Jungian typology than as a practical user manual. As such, I interpret what is entailed in things like NiTe, and so forth, in the most general way possible.
    As such, I really view socionics as too abstract a theory to be best suited to the concrete issues needed to resolve relationship dynamics in a sort of super-direct way (like find your dual, and life is automatically much better). Albeit, it certainly has some interesting insights to offer if you use it in a high-level way.

Basically I think understanding socionics can most certainly help your relationships, but only if you're good at applying high-level insights intuitively to real life situations, which tend to be messier than the nice, super-structured theory.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    http://www.projectevolove.com/educat...ting-instincts

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...tual-Stackings

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I like being romantic and having a romantic outlook even if it lacks realism. It's jus better to be hopeful rather than bitter and unsure
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The idea of duality seems silly, but the idea of compatibility does not. Compatibility does occur and I doubt that it has anything to do with socionics, but from a myriad of other factors.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmers View Post
    The idea of duality seems silly, but the idea of compatibility does not. Compatibility does occur and I doubt that it has anything to do with socionics, but from a myriad of other factors.
    I don't find duality to be a silly concept per se, because it is a significant factor when it comes to overall compatibility.
    But depending on your personal "rank list" of factors you deem the most valuable for compatibility, it could be rather low.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, you have your complementary temperament and your complementary club all at once, it's difficult to find something objectively better (ceteris paribus).
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chemical View Post
    I prefer to view the overall socionics foundations as a way of conceptualizing the elements of Jungian typology than as a practical user manual. As such, I interpret what is entailed in things like NiTe, and so forth, in the most general way possible.
    As such, I really view socionics as too abstract a theory to be best suited to the concrete issues needed to resolve relationship dynamics in a sort of super-direct way (like find your dual, and life is automatically much better). Albeit, it certainly has some interesting insights to offer if you use it in a high-level way.

Basically I think understanding socionics can most certainly help your relationships, but only if you're good at applying high-level insights intuitively to real life situations, which tend to be messier than the nice, super-structured theory.
    I don't think "messy" is the right word here, more like, there's more factors than just what this narrow model gets at but this is pretty much common sense

I totally agree on the rest!

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

I am ILE and the husband is SEI. While all aspects of duality perfectly apply to our marriage, we both couldn't help but wonder 'doesn't every couple experience this?' We've been married 15 (kick ass) years (3 children in tow) and are high school sweethearts. We are eachother's 'onlies.' I figured we might be abit skeptical because we have no past romantic relationships to compare it to. Is a romantic duality relationship really all that different from other healthy romantic relationships? I've read it requires much less work. I can't imagine having to put in more than we do, granted it is very easy to be around one another. I just assumed the blurring of identities and unexplainable comfort happened in all good relations...

Just interested to see if others who have experienced various relationships could explain, perhaps?
    I can't tell you why it's so easy for you two but I can tell you that with non-duals I had issues I don't have with duals. Though I have never been in a real romantic relationship with any of my duals.. there were only some beginnings that fell through due to non-socionics factors. Anyway, enough experience with that and with friends to say that there is a difference that's directly socionics related, yep.

That's me, maybe some people don't work like I do.

TIM
    ESI 684
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    I have a very limited number of romantic relationships but more than one so something to compare.
    It's overwhelming and interstellar, at least it's what I felt...
    That quote is not once in a lifetime. I could've had it at least three times were it not for my...lack of action. So empirically speaking, you just need to look for the right kind of people...

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    yes duality is clearly the best, although differing subtypes (accepting/producing) are more like mwoa comfortable and similar subtypes (e.g. accepting/accepting) are like wow magic.

other relationships are just different, with most people you just don't have chemistry. I have dated a lot of girls in a period in my life and i think i've had the whole socion lol. It was quite an experience since i could check how my relationships compared to the descriptions and general complementation of the functions. I do think that every relationship has something different to offer, and duality is just specialized in one thing, so it's good to have different kinds of people around you, but for a long life relationship, duality is the best, and also as if it is the one you were looking for all your life. So it fits.

Duality however is not the only factor, i've noticed that people with borderline etc, can't have a normal relationship, even if it's your dual. Also attraction and life plans come into play. But duality is the biggest part of the puzzle.
    This is something I can relate to and agree with.

You can learn something from every relationship. The most I learned from was my conflictor (EII), in a two year relationship. I also learned from a two year mirror relationship, and had witnessed IEIs in relationships with ILEs, that mirror relations just aren't enough when real life happens and shit hits the fan.

I haven't had to study the theory for that long because I've had tons of personal life experience and have seen the experiences of others to directly connect it to.
    Last edited by niffer; 06-26-2015 at 03:58 AM.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffer View Post
    The most I learned from was my contrary (IEE), in a two year relationship. I also learned from a two year mirror relationship, and had witnessed IEIs in relationships with ILEs, that mirror relations just aren't enough when real life happens and shit hits the fan.
    Contrary means Extinguishment so you mean you are IEI?

IEI with ILE is Mirage, not Mirror.

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Myst View Post
    Contrary means Extinguishment so you mean you are IEI?

IEI with ILE is Mirage, not Mirror.
    No, I meant conflictor. I mix up the wording a lot because in my mind the relationship between myself and my conflictor feels like a 100% contrary relationship--the English language definition of contrary. Corrected.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

No, I meant conflictor. I mix up the wording a lot because in my mind the relationship between myself and my conflictor feels like a 100% contrary relationship--the English language definition of contrary. Corrected.
    Eh, LSI has IEE as conflictor

http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.p...type_relations

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sorry. I just had a long slysdexic moment LOL. Thanks for seeing that. I'm not as used to the socionics naming systems as I am used to the theory itself.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Sorry. I just had a long slysdexic moment LOL. Thanks for seeing that. I'm not as used to the socionics naming systems as I am used to the theory itself.
    Lol no worries

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my squabble with understanding duality: I think that the level to which different types actually understand the so-called value of the dual element differs hugely. Some people exist in such a way that they just like that kind of information (e.g. some Te type who doesn't really enjoy Fe might naturally like Fi info better).

In other cases it's way more subtle, where people don't fit neatly into some caricature like I like expressing my emotions, like forceful personalities, etc, and more or less the significance of the dual element is quite mysterious and hidden, and has to be philosophized significantly to ever arrive at.

Said in more sociotype lingo, while the dual element may be valued and unconscious, does this mean one is unconscious of one's valuation of it? That fits more with Jung's theory at least. OTOH my sense of what Beebe's saying is in his vantage point, people are more conscious of their valuation of the inferior function-attitude.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like it's quite different preferring Te and Fi in a conscious way (as some seem to) vs actually Fi being more or less an unconscious perspective that could, theoretically, produce an alternate take on Te.

E.g how in theory, the changing potentialities Ni may observe and adapt to may be things you can analyze through more Se a perspective, but the more you can see this, the less you've made a given perspective conscious. it's more like you go hey I could see it this way or that way, but the point is, if you DID feel yourself strongly seeing it one way, it would be much harder to see it the other way.

I get the sense sometimes people just say a IE is unconscious in them because the theory says so, but it isn't really unconscious as they may think.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What lies true to experience for me is that the two other perspectives on rationality, besides your favored one (say Ti) and dual one get dealt with in such a way as the mechanics of the process are fulfilled but the info gets translated into a perspective suitable to the ego. The dual element is harder to do this with because more or less it's like looking at the back side of one's conscious process, so generally one is more blind to this than irritated by it (if subscribing to the socionics pov), and one is more irritated by the polr point of view.

But it's really really important to separate cognitive perspectives from traits. I can't reiterate enough that trait theoretic socionics is the least strong. It's more or less obviously less valid a way of grouping traits than , well, inventories that pretty much make their buck/bang using sophistication of trait measurement.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Here's my squabble with understanding duality: I think that the level to which different types actually understand the so-called value of the dual element differs hugely. Some people exist in such a way that they just like that kind of information (e.g. some Te type who doesn't really enjoy Fe might naturally like Fi info better).

In other cases it's way more subtle, where people don't fit neatly into some caricature like I like expressing my emotions, like forceful personalities, etc, and more or less the significance of the dual element is quite mysterious and hidden, and has to be philosophized significantly to ever arrive at.
    I don't think philosophize is the right word, if it is then it's just bullshit imagining things into where there is nothing actually. What I mean is that it [element for duality] needs to be more obvious and observable than that, to be valid.

Said in more sociotype lingo, while the dual element may be valued and unconscious, does this mean one is unconscious of one's valuation of it? That fits more with Jung's theory at least. OTOH my sense of what Beebe's saying is in his vantage point, people are more conscious of their valuation of the inferior function-attitude.
    OK I assume by dual element you mean the dual seeking function, yeah? I was certainly always unconscious of valuation of it. When I read up on the theory and analysed stuff is when I could see there was such valuation. But it's unconscious for the most part. I don't really see why Beebe would argue it's so conscious. Conscious of rejecting certain parts, perhaps, sure. Remember when I said part of the inferior function (or dual seeking in socionics) is actually somewhat rejected by default because on the whole it's not even near to being in the ego and you can't really produce it yourself much... overall it has to first be made compatible with/through the ego perspective before you can accept the rejected parts. And some people may never get that far.

Fwiw, Ni seeking (Ni being in superid too) was always a bit more conscious for me even before getting to know the theory, though hardly what you truly call conscious.

Like it's quite different preferring Te and Fi in a conscious way (as some seem to) vs actually Fi being more or less an unconscious perspective that could, theoretically, produce an alternate take on Te.
    I totally get you there and this is what I'm talking about too, actually. Though dual seeking is more complex, it's definitely about more than just "producing an alternative take".

E.g how in theory, the changing potentialities Ni may observe and adapt to may be things you can analyze through more Se a perspective, but the more you can see this, the less you've made a given perspective conscious. it's more like you go hey I could see it this way or that way, but the point is, if you DID feel yourself strongly seeing it one way, it would be much harder to see it the other way.
    What's your point with this one, I'm not following. Probably some typo too in there.

I get the sense sometimes people just say a IE is unconscious in them because the theory says so, but it isn't really unconscious as they may think.
    Where do you get that sense... no, I don't say unconscious -that is, unconscious for the most part- just because the theory says that.

What lies true to experience for me is that the two other perspectives on rationality, besides your favored one (say Ti) and dual one get dealt with in such a way as the mechanics of the process are fulfilled but the info gets translated into a perspective suitable to the ego. The dual element is harder to do this with because more or less it's like looking at the back side of one's conscious process, so generally one is more blind to this than irritated by it (if subscribing to the socionics pov), and one is more irritated by the polr point of view.
    Uh are you trying to say it's easier to translate Fi information into Ti perspective than Fe into Ti? I'm not so sure I agree on that, no. Also I've been irritated by Fi and Fe too in my life so far, just for different reasons. I'm also pretty blind to PoLR too. But sure, overall a lot more irritated by PoLR, lol.

But it's really really important to separate cognitive perspectives from traits. I can't reiterate enough that trait theoretic socionics is the least strong. It's more or less obviously less valid a way of grouping traits than, well, inventories that pretty much make their buck/bang using sophistication of trait measurement.
    Sure, this should be absolutely basics, isn't it in some sticky thread? :|

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Myst
    I don't think philosophize is the right word, if it is then it's just bullshit imagining things into where there is nothing actually
    I think maybe you're dismissing this on account of terminology? Philosophical arguments aren't always BS lol I mean, if they invent concepts to clarify sure, maybe, but if they clarify concepts that we all clearly use yet don't use with as precise a delineation of their meaning as may be desirable, they're doing a good service. They may need invent a concept to put what we're using into perspective though.

Uh are you trying to say it's easier to translate Fi information into Ti perspective than Fe into Ti? I'm not so sure I agree on that, no. Also I've been irritated by Fi and Fe too in my life so far, just for different reasons. I'm also pretty blind to PoLR too. But sure, overall a lot more irritated by PoLR, lol.
    I think it's not just translating Fi information so much as, what Fi would purport to cover, Ti covers in a different way (as far as it can). Ditto with Te really. Sure these processes still go on to a degree, as it's hard to totally do away with a perspective, but it's possible to de-emphasize it when there is any overlap at all, and there's more direct overlap (both Fi and Ti are static relations based, but one is more ethical, both Te and Ti deal with logic oriented situations).
    E.g. if you're dealing with logical facts, well of course they figure into any logical goal. But naturally you can emphasize the structural logic vantange point in how you cover everything.
    Similarly, if you're dealing with static relations, you can relate to them more from a logic than feelings perspective.

I'm not quite suggesting you can somehow translate what actually *is* Fi information into Ti, but I'd say that more or less if you could ever do that, why even have another element lol. The point of the other element is that the information it covers is inseparable from the psychological perspective that comes with it so that even if you are in theory covering situations a Fi-base covers in a Ti way, it wouldn't resonate with them often enough that they wouldn't create their own perspective on the issue.

Anyway, how would you put why the dual is considered sought input, while the role/demonstrative less so? I think the dual being sorta far enough from the ego's workings is the idea as of now
    Last edited by chemical; 07-12-2015 at 06:04 PM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also I wasn't talking about you in the whole stuff I was saying about people just artificially calling some function/IE unconscious, in case it seemed that way. I just notice a lot in the Beebe/socionics goers that it seems closer to truth that they consciously prefer two than having one conscious valued and one unconscious valued.

I tend to lean a bit Jung in the creative and the HA, in that I think calling one squarely conscious and one squarely unconscious is somewhat farther from the truth than calling one relatively more conscious and complementary to the main/base, and the other relatively more unconscious, and grouping more with the inferior/suggestive/etc

In a way this is worked in, I mean how can something be a hidden agenda if it is truly unrelated to your ego, which more or less determines the shape of your agenda.
    For it to truly be unconscious yet not easily dismissed, suggestive is the right word.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

gamodualurano n a. the belief that a dual marriage is heaven. b. the belief that all functional couples are duals.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Is a romantic duality relationship really all that different from other healthy romantic relationships?
    It's best for long relations as marriage, when meaning of friendship rises. Besides types there are other factors making relations better or worse.

I've read it requires much less work.
    It has least base for chronic conflicts.

I just assumed the blurring of identities and unexplainable comfort happened in all good relations...
    Some things are hard to blurr for long and some things need external support. 4 value aspects, 4 weak functions. Only dual fits this wholly.

You may communicate in informal conditions with other types to understand the difference. You don't need sexual interest or romantic feelings to understand the difference between intertype relations. Have you meet most "hard (for you) people" in life? Type them.

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    Have you meet most "hard (for you) people" in life? Type them.
    That one person who was the most difficult to deal with for me actually turned out to be my Conflictor.
    Suddenly, it all made sense to me why we could not really click, why we'd always have big disagreements concerning certain issues etc.
    Finally understanding that dynamic gave me so much relief. All the conflict had made me feel like it was all my fault only, particularly because they'd always make me feel it was.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SisOfNight View Post
    That one person who was the most difficult to deal with for me actually turned out to be my Conflictor.
    Suddenly, it all made sense to me why we could not really click, why we'd always have big disagreements concerning certain issues etc.
    Finally understanding that dynamic gave me so much relief. All the conflict had made me feel like it was all my fault only, particularly because they'd always make me feel it was.
    I'm sorry. You have to be stern with those LSE. Ask "what do you want me to do?" And tell them that you'll do it only if they don't act like ass holes.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    I'm sorry. You have to be stern with those LSE. Ask "what do you want me to do?" And tell them that you'll do it only if they don't act like ass holes.
    That's actually pretty good advice! Haha.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SisOfNight View Post
    That's actually pretty good advice! Haha.
    LSE recognize that they've done something wrong when thwy feel shame or guilt. If you express how you feel it will bring that internal sense of judgement and recognition of that matter up to their conscience otherwise they ignore personal feelings and tell you what to do as if you're a machine. j
    -

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duality isn't over-idealized, but there are non-socionics compatibility factors (that apply to all human interactions) that need to be taken into account, and it goes without saying that you need to put effort into maintaining virtually all relationships.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i think people are probably right when they say that duality really is the best relation (all other things being equal), but you just have to approach it realistically, be ready to work on maintaining the relationship, consider all other NTR factors, etc.

actually i think you could say that quadras are "idealized" to some extent as well, but i can understand why. you're not necessarily going to like everyone in your quadra (some Betas can be quite the elitist dickheads ) because of all the other factors that come into play in relationships besides socionics. so i think while your closest friends you identify best with are often going to be in your quadra, i think it's a good idea to have friends and relationships outside of it as well, so you don't get too insular-minded by only spending time in your quadra. but yea, when you find the right people who are also in your quadra, the dynamic is pretty hard to beat. (e.g. spending the day out with an EIE and SLE last week was one of the best times i've had in a while.) the freedom of expression, the unspoken mutual understandings, and not feeling judged by your quadra-mates when in the right group is pretty awesome.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glam View Post
    i think people are probably right when they say that duality really is the best relation (all other things being equal), but you just have to approach it realistically, be ready to work on maintaining the relationship, consider all other NTR factors, etc.

actually i think you could say that quadras are "idealized" to some extent as well, but i can understand why. you're not necessarily going to like everyone in your quadra (some Betas can be quite the elitist dickheads ) because of all the other factors that come into play in relationships besides socionics. so i think while your closest friends you identify best with are often going to be in your quadra, i think it's a good idea to have friends and relationships outside of it as well, so you don't get too insular-minded by only spending time in your quadra. but yea, when you find the right people who are also in your quadra, the dynamic is pretty hard to beat. (e.g. spending the day out with an EIE and SLE last week was one of the best times i've had in a while.) the freedom of expression, the unspoken mutual understandings, and not feeling judged by your quadra-mates when in the right group is pretty awesome.
    ...honestly, I don't see the point of being overly tolerant to try and work out everything with everyone outside my quadra, especially the opposing quadra. Why change myself just so that I fit with everyone? Or what do you mean by getting "too insular-minded"?

Don't get me wrong, I do try to be tolerant of differences to a reasonable degree and I can appreciate people even from opposing quadra, I get along quite well with the delta family member too but that's not the same thing as trying to have real close relationships with them. I guess that's just me tho', I'm sure some people can go beyond intertype relations dynamics lol

I totally agree on having to work on the relationship - and in duality it seems like it's much less wasted effort put towards that, which is a great part of duality.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

...honestly, I don't see the point of being overly tolerant to try and work out everything with everyone outside my quadra, especially the opposing quadra. Why change myself just so that I fit with everyone? Or what do you mean by getting "too insular-minded"?
    i didn't mean you have to change yourself, that's usually not really possible anyway, without becoming unhealthy by repressing who you really are. i wouldn't try to get into psychologically close relationships with a lot of Deltas, for the most part. i've had experiences with this (especially LSE, SLI, and EII) and have had some pretty terrible experiences in the past. but i think if you're only ever surrounded by people who think just like you (like in your quadra), it can be self-reinforcing in a bad way - you can forget that the rest of the world doesn't think like you.

i see you type sx/sp, maybe this is a stacking thing? i can see so-lasts not worrying too much about this kind of thing.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

i didn't mean you have to change yourself, that's usually not really possible anyway, without becoming unhealthy by repressing who you really are. i wouldn't try to get into psychologically close relationships with a lot of Deltas, for the most part. i've had experiences with this (especially LSE, SLI, and EII) and have had some pretty terrible experiences in the past. but i think if you're only ever surrounded by people who think just like you (like in your quadra), it can be self-reinforcing in a bad way - you can forget that the rest of the world doesn't think like you.

i see you type sx/sp, maybe this is a stacking thing? i can see so-lasts not worrying too much about this kind of thing.
    What bad consequences would there be for forgetting that?

Yeah that's not a bad idea about instinct stacking having something to do with it.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What bad consequences would there be for forgetting that?
    because the "real world" is full of all kinds of people you have to deal with on a daily basis? idk, i just assume part of being a reasonably functional person is learning how to navigate the treacherous waters of society, and sociotype can come into play here, imo. it's not like you're always going to be able to limit your interactions and dealings in life to people in your quadra.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

because the "real world" is full of all kinds of people you have to deal with on a daily basis? idk, i just assume part of being a reasonably functional person is learning how to navigate the treacherous waters of society, and sociotype can come into play here, imo. it's not like you're always going to be able to limit your interactions and dealings in life to people in your quadra.
    I thought the point here was about relationship building, not those superficial interactions, I assume most people would be ok in that area

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I thought the point here was about relationship building, not those superficial interactions, I assume most people would be ok in that area
    I wouldn't assume that, plus you can always perfect it on your way to dominating office politics.
    Reason is a whore.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast