View Poll Results: Do Gammas value social expectations/norms more or less than the average person?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • more

1 4.00%
  • same

4 16.00%
  • less

13 52.00%
  • I'm not Gamma.

7 28.00%

Thread: Gammas opinion on social expectations and norms

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gammas opinion on social expectations and norms

Gammas, how do you think your quadra view social expectations/norms in relation to the average person?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it depends.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

depends on which norms you're thinking of.
    *deleted*
    Last edited by Expat; 08-05-2008 at 06:51 AM.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....i think they are less likely to let themselves be bound by them, along with traditions.....however.....i think it's barely type related. it highly depends on the people/way/environment they were raised around IMO.

each type would have their own reasons why they don't go along with them or do. kelly states the obvious once again.
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

[21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eh... Wha... ? Uh...

Whatever. Beats me.

(though I note my response was affected by the general climate of these boards)
    And this, too, shall pass away.

ILI

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'm not Gamma. But I could be wrong.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    I think I'm not Gamma. But I could be wrong.
    Point being?

ILI

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FlameReborn View Post
    Point being?
    that I was joking,

or that I didn't vote for option #4, for the aforementioned reason.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, then, your arrow missed my head. ::waves aas it flies by::

ILI

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also....as pointless and useless...and tiresome...a lot of the social expectations are.....everyone has to deal with them. Unless they are a hermit. Even then.....they'll probably have to deal with another person some time or another. And that person will have expectations. And the hermit won't care.

So I make myself aware of them, I screw up and put my foot in my mouth a lot...I can be inappropriate. I like it when I have a reason not to care, I feel like I just have to follow rules in order to get something. Its like an unnecessary obstacle.
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

[21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rules are tiring.

The "Am I LII or ILI?" dilemma cropped up in my head again. But I like being ILI.

So I'll just forget it. eHHHH... I hope...

ILI

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Khamelion View Post
    ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....i think they are less likely to let themselves be bound by them, along with traditions.....however.....i think it's barely type related. it highly depends on the people/way/environment they were raised around IMO.

each type would have their own reasons why they don't go along with them or do. kelly states the obvious once again.
    The sense of reason often takes the form of blunt honesty.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Doesn't depend on quadra.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    THANK YOU!
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    THANK YOU!
    You're welcome
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    i agree. it's sort of ridiculous to claim that gamma cares less all around. a nice, clearcut answer seems like what is being sought here where i don't think it makes any sense at all. i've heard a variety of types espouse and reject social norms of various types. not enough of a "pattern" to be significant at all.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gamma's moral are usually higher then average...I think.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am skeptic of such a claim.
    Johari Box

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Ask not what you can do for your society - ask what your society can do for you.

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think gammas sway towards being rule breakers, they don't put as much value on meeting social expectations and being seen as nice

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couldn't different social norms be attributed to different information elements? Either way people follow social norms when they feel it benefits them. In a gamma valuing culture gamma's will uphold norms more than other types, in an alpha culture not so much.

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ainfigur View Post
    Couldn't different social norms be attributed to different information elements? Either way people follow social norms when they feel it benefits them. In a gamma valuing culture gamma's will uphold norms more than other types, in an alpha culture not so much.
    what about in a mixed society where all quadra are equally represented?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yeves View Post
    what about in a mixed society where all quadra are equally represented?
    By culture I didn't mean society as a whole, cultures can be big or small. So it would depend on the mixture of quadra representatives in a given situation imo.

I think a perfectly mixed society with an equal number of all sociotypes would be some kind of perfectly functional utopia or something.

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I tend to ignore social norms more than the normal person. Just be cool and you're fine with me. My Delta parents are obsessed with social norms for whatever reason. It drives me insane and makes me super uncomfortable/anxious to socialize around them. It's like they are completely opposed to my social M.O.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

mostly i am more drawn to people who don't follow social norms but that's such a vague term. i like when people are offbeat or socially disruptive in a way that i don't find grating but i couldn't say what makes the difference b/w grating or not, its individual. like i knew this girl who picked her nose in public but she was just so fucking nonchalant and not giving a fuck about it and with her specific personality it was funny. but if anybody else did that i would be totally disgusted. maybe everybody just relaxes their standards for people they like.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont really like people so.

(right now)

(my answer will change).

TIM
    ENTj (3w4 sx/sp)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awww...dual come ere

TIM
    ENTj (3w4 sx/sp)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My generalized response is based on my personal experience with the individuals I have known. The 4 types most likely to follow their own path regardless of societal "norms" are: 1. ISTj (most likely), 2. INTj, 3. ENTp, 4. ESTp (2 Beta, 2 Alpha). Thus I would conclude that the tendency is based more upon functions ie. Ti-valuing, as opposed to Quadra. In other words, these types would do what made sense to them logically, as opposed to following societal norms/rules for the mere sake of conforming.

It is my opinion that these 4 types are the most likely to follow social expectations/norms, more so than the average person: 1. ESFj (most likely), 2. ESTj, 3. ISFp, 4. ISTp (2 Alphas, 2 Deltas). In this case it would appear that Si-valuing types care most about doing what is normally expected by "society".

Following this reasoning--I would rank Betas as least likely to abide by social norms (having 2 entries in the bottom 4, and 2 entries in the middle group of 8).

Alpha and Gamma would tie. Alpha has 2 of the top 4 and 2 of the bottom 4--a dichotomous quartet whereby the ESFj and ISFp keep the wayward INTj and ENTp from pulling too far away from the median of society. All 4 Gamma types have the propensity to go either way. Diligent and sensitive, yet unpredictable in that all 4 can go off on a tangent prompting observers to wonder "wtf were they thinking??"! Personally as a Gamma, those times are very liberating--that 10% of the time when some very personal (yet to others seemingly arbitrary) line has been crossed, and I can no longer keep everything simmering below containment for the sake of conformity, compliance, or duty.

Deltas would rank as the Quadra most likely to abide by social norms/rules, given that it has 2 entries in the top 4, and 2 in the middle 8.

I realize this is subjective.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't value social expectations and norms. I like it when someone behaves according to their own powerful individuality (however without having to stifle another's quirks in the process). I don't like people who are antisocial or who go against the grain for the hell of it, either, because this way they are still "slaves" to the norms they indirectly relate to. Probably the key is originality&substance when I'm drawn to someone who marches to the beat of their own drum. Uhm, I reckon this question was about more than stuff like "social table manners".

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Last edited by Skepsis; 09-05-2015 at 03:55 AM.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.