Thread: Generations Theory

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default Generations Theory

I think about a year ago, I stumbled across a very interesting theory about generations. That each generation has its own unique personality as a result of the stage society happened to be going through at a certain period of their life. I'm completely aware that this theory may be overgeneralized, but that's why it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Since I'm 25 years old that would put me under Generation Y (Heroes), which I think the majority of the members in this forum are from and some from Generation X (Nomads) and Baby Boomers (Prophets). We are currently going through a Crisis (Winter) at the moment, as that is quite clear to anyone who pays attention to the news.

Generations

Lost Generation (1883–1900)
    Greatest Generation (1901–1924)
    Silent Generation (1925–1942)
    Baby Boomer (1943–1960)
    Generation X (1961–1981)
    Generation Y (1982–2001)
    Generation Z (2001–)

Generational Archetypes

Prophets

Prophet generations (dominant) are born after a Crisis, during a time of rejuvenated community life and consensus around a new societal order. Prophets grow up as the increasingly indulged children of this post-Crisis era, come of age as self-absorbed young crusaders of an Awakening, focus on morals and principles in midlife, and emerge as elders guiding another Crisis. Due to this location in history, such generations tend to be remembered for their coming-of-age fervor and their values-oriented elder leadership. Their main societal contributions are in the area of vision, values, and religion. Their best-known historical leaders include John Winthrop, William Berkeley, Samuel Adams, Benjamin Franklin, James Polk, Abraham Lincoln, Herbert Hoover, and Franklin Roosevelt. These were principled moralists who waged idealistic wars and incited others to sacrifice. Few of them fought themselves in decisive wars, and they are remembered more for their inspiring words than for great actions. (Example among today’s living generations: Boomers.)

Nomads

Nomad generations (recessive) are born during an Awakening, a time of social ideals and spiritual agendas, when young adults are passionately attacking the established institutional order. Nomads grow up as under-protected children during this Awakening, come of age as alienated, post-Awakening adults, become pragmatic midlife leaders during a Crisis, and age into resilient post-Crisis elders Due to this location in history, such generations tend to be remembered for their fast-paced, alienated rising-adult years and their midlife years of pragmatic leadership. Their main societal contributions are in the area of liberty, survival and honor. Their best-known historical leaders include Nathaniel Bacon, William Stoughton, George Washington, John Adams, Ulysses Grant, Grover Cleveland, Harry Truman, and Dwight Eisenhower. These were shrewd realists who preferred individualistic, pragmatic solutions to problems. (Example among today’s living generations: Generation X.)

Heroes

Hero generations (dominant) are born after an Awakening, during a time of individual pragmatism, self-reliance, and laissez faire. Heroes grow up as increasingly protected post-Awakening children, come of age as team-oriented young optimists during a Crisis, emerge as energetic, overly-confident midlifers, and age into politically powerful elders attacked by another Awakening. Due to this location in history, such generations tend to be remembered for their collective military triumphs in young adulthood and their political achievements as elders. Their main societal contributions are in the area of community, affluence, and technology. Their best-known historical leaders include Cotton Mather, “King” Carter, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, John F. Kennedy, and Ronald Reagan. These have been vigorous and rational institution builders. In midlife, all have been aggressive advocates of economic prosperity and public optimism, and all have maintained a reputation for civic energy and competence in old age. (Examples among today’s living generations: G.I.s and Millennials.)

Artists

Artist generations (recessive) are born during a Crisis, a time when great dangers cut down social and political complexity in favor of public consensus, aggressive institutions, and an ethic of personal sacrifice. Artists grow up overprotected by adults preoccupied with the Crisis, come of age as the socialized and conformist young adults of a post-Crisis world, break out as process-oriented midlife leaders during an Awakening, and age into thoughtful post-Awakening elders. Due to this location in history, such generations tend to be remembered for their quiet years of rising adulthood and their midlife years of flexible, consensus-building leadership. Their main societal contributions are in the area of expertise and due process. Their best-known historical leaders include William Shirley, Cadwallader Colden, John Quincy Adams, Andrew Jackson, Theodore Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson. These have been complex social technicians and advocates for fairness and inclusion. (Examples among today’s living generations: Silent and Homelanders.)

Turnings

Recent Turnings

American High - 1946-1964 (High/Spring)
    Consciousness Revolution - 1964-1984 (Awakening/Summer)
    Culture Wars - 1984-2005 (Unravelling/Fall)
    Millennial Crisis - 2005-2026 (Crisis/Winter)

High aka Spring

The First Turning is a High. This is a post-Crisis era when institutions are strong and individualism is weak. Society is confident about where it wants to go collectively, though those outside the majoritarian center often feel stifled by the conformity. America’s most recent First Turning was the post-World War II American High, beginning in 1946 and ending with the assassination of President John F. Kennedy on November 22, 1963. The Silent Generation (Artist archetype, born 1925 to 1942) came of age during this era. Known for their caution, conformity, and institutional trust, Silent young adults epitomized the mood of the High. Most married early, sought stable corporate jobs, and moved into new suburbs.

Awakening aka Summer

The Second Turning is an Awakening. This is an era when institutions are attacked in the name of personal and spiritual autonomy. Just when society is reaching its high tide of public progress, people suddenly tire of social discipline and want to recapture a sense of personal authenticity. Young activists look back at the previous High as an era of cultural and spiritual poverty. America’s most recent Awakening was the “Consciousness Revolution,” which spanned from the campus and inner-city revolts of the mid 1960s to the tax revolts of the early 1980s. The Boom Generation (Prophet archetype, born 1943 to 1960) came of age during this era. Their idealism and search for authentic self-expression epitomized the mood of the Awakening.

Unraveling aka Fall

The Third Turning is an Unraveling. The mood of this era is in many ways the opposite of a High: Institutions are weak and distrusted, while individualism is strong and flourishing. Highs come after Crises, when society wants to coalesce and build. Unravelings come after Awakenings, when society wants to atomize and enjoy. America’s most recent Unraveling was the Long Boom and Culture Wars, beginning in the early to mid 1980s and ending in the mid to late 2000s. The era began with a new ethic of individualism (Reagan’s “Morning in America”), which has developed into an edgy popular culture, a pervasive distrust of institutions and leaders, and the splitting of national consensus into competing “values” camps. Generation X (Nomad archetype, born 1961-1981) came of age during this era. Their risk-taking, free agency, and market orientation epitomized the mood of the Unraveling.

Crisis aka Winter

The Fourth Turning is a Crisis. This is an era in which America’s institutional life is destroyed and rebuilt in response to a perceived threat to the nation’s survival. Civic authority revives, cultural expression redirects towards community purpose, and people begin to locate themselves as members of a larger group. Fourth Turnings have all been new “founding moments” in America’s history, moments that redefined the national identity. America’s most recent Fourth Turning began with the stock market crash of 1929 and climaxed with the end of World War II. The G.I. Generation (Hero archetype, born 1914 to 1928) came of age during this era. Their confidence, optimism, and collective outlook epitomized the mood of the era. Today’s youth, the Millennial Generation (Hero archetype, born 1976 to 1990), show many traits similar to those of the G.I. youth, including rising civic engagement, improving behavior, and collective confidence.
    Last edited by Raver; 07-17-2011 at 01:06 AM.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Anyone want to give their thoughts on this theory, whether its true or not?

Also if you'd like, let everyone know, which generation you belong to, and tell us if it fits in with your mentality or not.

I'll start:

Generation Y (Hero)
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Creepy-bg

smack in the middle of gen X/nomads (born in 1973) and yeah, it fits.

Creepy-bg

you should post the generation attitude shifts through each of the turnings. I was going to comment on how well those apply to me and my friends.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It just seems to me a pattern of extremes and successive recoils against the inevitable consequences of extremes. The child lives in the shadow of the parent's sin, and as such knows much better than the parent what shape the future should take.

But yeah I've never appreciated the indifference of GenX people to each other. I mean really... way to go Seinfeld!

I'm glad to have grown up in the age of He-Man, Sergent Slaughter, and Optimus Prime. With them as your role models, how can you go wrong? All hail the Alpha revolution, and remember: "don't be evil".

I think a lot of people don't take being a "hero" seriously. I think JRPG protagonists make especially good role models. Real heros are such not as a factor of steadfastness of belief, but because they make excellent use of humility. This gives them the psychological and ethical balance to triumph over the comparatively unbalanced villain.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    you should post the generation attitude shifts through each of the turnings. I was going to comment on how well those apply to me and my friends.
    Nomad generations (recessive) are born during an Awakening, a time of social ideals and spiritual agendas, when young adults are passionately attacking the established institutional order. Nomads grow up as under-protected children during this Awakening, come of age as alienated, post-Awakening adults, become pragmatic midlife leaders during a Crisis, and age into resilient post-Crisis elders.

It talks about attitude shifts in the descriptions above or did you want something more descriptive than this?

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The generations society is formed by the media (publicity), let's hope there's a stage for the heroes, but heroes of what?

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    The generations society is formed by the media (publicity), let's hope there's a stage for the heroes, but heroes of what?
    I think the hero title applies much better to world war 2 veterans than it does of the current generation. Since the theory is cyclical in nature, it assumes that Generation Y would be heroes. It is much too early to deduce if we should be labelled heroes and only in the future will we be able to find out if the behaviour of Generation Y is similar to that of the Greatest Generation.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    I think the hero title applies much better to world war 2 veterans than it does of the current generation. Since the theory is cyclical in nature, it assumes that Generation Y would be heroes. It is much too early to deduce if we should be labelled heroes and only in the future will we be able to find out if the behaviour of Generation Y is similar to that of the Greatest Generation.
    We are in search of psychological balance. Rather than a war against criminality, our struggle is against ignorance.

Creepy-bg

lifecycle outlines for the archetypes...

Prophets

As PROPHETS replace Artists in childhood during a High, they are nurtured with increasing indulgence by optimistic adults in a secure environment.

As self-absorbed PROPHETS replace Artists in young adulthood during an Awakening, they challenge the moral failure of elder-built institutions, sparking a society-wide spiritual awakening.

As judgmental PROPHETS replace Artists in midlife during an Unraveling, they preach a downbeat, values-fixated ethic of moral conviction.

As visionary PROPHETS replace Artists in elderhood during a Crisis, they push to resolve ever-deepening moral choices, setting the stage for the secular goals of the young.

Nomads

As NOMADS replace Prophets in childhood during an Awakening, they are left underprotected at a time of social convulsion and adult self-discovery.

As alienated NOMADS replace Prophets in young adulthood during an Unraveling, they become brazen free agents, lending their pragmatism and independence to an era of growing social turmoil.

As pragmatic NOMADS replace Prophets in midlife during a Crisis, they apply toughness and resolution to defend society while safeguarding the interests of the young.

As exhausted NOMADS replace Prophets in elderhood during a High, they slow the pace of social change, shunning the old crusades in favor of simplicity and survivalism.

Heroes

As HEROES replace Nomads in childhood during an Unraveling, they are nurtured with increasing protection by pessimistic adults in an insecure environment.

As teamworking HEROES replace Nomads in young adulthood during a Crisis, they challenge the political failure of elder-led crusades, fueling a society-wide secular crisis.

As powerful HEROES replace Nomads in midlife during a High, they establish an upbeat, constructive ethic of social discipline.

As expansive HEROES replace Nomads in elderhood during an Awakening, they orchestrate ever-grander secular constructions, setting the stage for the spiritual goals of the young.

Artists

As ARTISTS replace Heroes in childhood during a Crisis, they are overprotected at a time of political convulsion and adult self-sacrifice.

As conformist ARTISTS replace Heroes in young adulthood during a High, they become sensitive helpmates, lending their expertise and cooperation to an era of growing social calm.

As indecisive ARTISTS replace Heroes in midlife during an Awakening, they apply expertise and process to improve society while calming the passions of the young.

As empathic ARTISTS replace Heroes in elderhood during an Unraveling, they quicken the pace of social change, shunning the old order in favor of complexity and sensitivity.

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone want to give their thoughts on this theory, whether its true or not?

Also if you'd like, let everyone know, which generation you belong to, and tell us if it fits in with your mentality or not.

I'll start:

Generation Y (Hero)
    As my username suggests, I am an X-Men.

In short, "the scenario/historical moment" you live in has an effect on your personality. I support this theory.
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that Strauss and Howe's generational cycle theory is essentially an independent discovery of society-wide Quadra cycles. Their descriptions aren't exactly the same as the typical Quadra descriptions, but they're similar enough that it seems to be two different views of the same phenomenon.

From what I can see,
    Artist = Alpha,
    Prophet = Beta,
    Nomad = Gamma,
    Hero = Delta.

Note that the progression is Alpha-->Beta-->Gamma-->Delta-->Alpha, just like socionics predicts.

There are some interesting parallels. The Se-valuing generations are raised with increasing or maximum freedom to do as they please; the Si-valuing generations are raised being increasingly or maximally sheltered and overprotected. The Fe-valuing generations focus on social change and spiritual things; the Te-valuing generations focus on civic change and practical matters. The Aristocratic generations, with their focus on groups, are the strongest drivers of societal change, while the Democratic generations, with their focus on the individual, have less impact on the direction of society.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My interpretation:

Selfish prophets come in and start making demands on society as they only think of themselves.

Suffering nomads get the shaft and do what they can to get by as society crumbles under the selfishness of the prophets.

Empowered heroes put everything into rebuilding society after seeing the turmoil suffered by the nomads.

Naive artists enjoy the fruits of the the labor as society is brought back to glory by the empowered heroes.

Selfish prophets come in and make more demands on society as all they've seen is prosperity enjoyed by the naive artists.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    me>> Augusta whore
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azeroffs View Post
    My interpretation:

Selfish prophets come in and start making demands on society as they only think of themselves.

Suffering nomads get the shaft and do what they can to get by as society crumbles under the selfishness of the prophets.

Empowered heroes put everything into rebuilding society after seeing the turmoil suffered by the nomads.

Naive artists enjoy the fruits of the the labor as society is brought back to glory by the empowered heroes.

Selfish prophets come in and make more demands on society as all they've seen is prosperity enjoyed by the naive artists.
    HANG THE BLASPHEMOUS FOOL !

WE MIGHT BE SELFISH YES. BUT WE GET YOUR SLAVE ASS MOVING

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think about a year ago, I stumbled across a very interesting theory about generations. That each generation has its own unique personality as a result of the stage society happened to be going through at a certain period of their life. I'm completely aware that this theory may be overgeneralized, but that's why it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Generations

Silent Generation (1925–1942)
    Baby Boomer (1943–1960)
    Generation X (1961–1981)
    Generation Y (1982–2001)
    Generation Z (2001–)
    In Europe(the destroyed part by WWII) it must me shifted of about 5 years from the end of silent generation for europe generation mus be:

Silent Generation (1925–1947)
    Baby Boomer (1948–1965)
    Generation X (1966–1986)
    Generation Y (1987–2006)
    Generation Z (2007–)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This whole thread is very interesting, I like the idea's presented within it, certainly worth having a further look at. At would be interesting to look at examples that go further back in time to this.

Quote Originally Posted by NewBorn STAR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Azeroffs View Post
    My interpretation:

HANG THE BLASPHEMOUS FOOL !

WE MIGHT BE SELFISH YES. BUT WE GET YOUR SLAVE ASS MOVING
    Are you a boomer Star?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i`m re opening this thread. and making note of what labcoat said because i think he is spot on matching quadra to generational archetype. I think generational theory can fit into the quadras and may explain the success of certain people in certain epoques.
    asd

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great thread @Raver. Thanks for bringing it back to life @heath. Can't comment too much tonight because it is so late, but will contribute that the Silent Generation is a very appropriate name for its age group. It applies perfectly to everyone I knew of that age.
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't think those years are set in stone. I'm certain my younger brothers are a different generation than my older brother and myself. My older brother and I are products of the 90s. My younger brothers may have been born in the 90s like me, but they're more a product of the 2000s.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Nice to see another thread of mine back up after about 2 years. It must be a sign! o_O

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    I don't think those years are set in stone. I'm certain my younger brothers are a different generation than my older brother and myself. My older brother and I are products of the 90s. My younger brothers may have been born in the 90s like me, but they're more a product of the 2000s.
    Well, there's certainly overlap within the generations especially if you compare the early and late waves and when you consider the arbitrary years given. However, they're based on the seasons of time you are born in to give it some structure.
    Last edited by Raver; 07-15-2013 at 04:21 AM.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very very interesting, I love generation theories. Though I've mostly come across them when they are briefly mentioned in "classical" novels, usually when two characters are trying to figure out why they are different from everyone else, and they recall like a grandparent who also didn't fit into their time (Gone with the Wind, The Age of Innocence).

Assuming most of us are gen Y, could anyone explain how the "hero" description applies to us?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    I was born in 88 and my brother in 95 and he is DEFINITELY a different generation.

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fascinating stuff, especially the parallels with the quadras.

I do believe there is a natural ebb and flow to the world. I wonder how this particular theory came up with the length of time for each of the Turnings.

On a completely random note, this thread reminds me of the Civilization game, which seems to suggest similar Turnings / time periods.
    And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sssonyyy View Post
    Very very interesting, I love generation theories. Though I've mostly come across them when they are briefly mentioned in "classical" novels, usually when two characters are trying to figure out why they are different from everyone else, and they recall like a grandparent who also didn't fit into their time (Gone with the Wind, The Age of Innocence).

Assuming most of us are gen Y, could anyone explain how the "hero" description applies to us?
    The term hero usually stems back to the G.I. generation, the previous hero generation that fought WW2 and endured the great depression. The term was just transferred over to our generation as a result, but it's largely due to the fact that we've become adults in the most troubled times, which is winter at least in theory. I think we've yet to prove ourselves of that label as of now, but who knows what the future will hold.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    The term hero usually stems back to the G.I. generation, the previous hero generation that fought WW2 and endured the great depression. The term was just transferred over to our generation as a result, but it's largely due to the fact that we've become adults in the most troubled times, which is winter at least in theory. I think we've yet to prove ourselves of that label as of now, but who knows what the future will hold.
    Well we have seen a lot in terms of the digital age.. I mean these days kids are born to all this fantastic technology but I remember having to learn basic comp skills like how to use a mouse back in elementary school, a walkman.. but when the ipods came along we were still young enough to embrace that too. So, to draw a parallel with people who lived through the depression and WWII - I mean, they saw a lot of change. We've seen a lot of change too, I guess?
    Last edited by bolong; 07-20-2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The movements of uranus / neptune define the generations better than this theory.

Neptune in Leo - ww2 era - large scale culture of heroism, narcissism, moral superiority
    Neptune in Virgo - 50s era - large scale culture of strict rules, social norms, boundaries, dogmatism
    Neptune in Libra - 60s era - large scale culture of love, relationships, art, romance, peace, harmony
    Neptune in Scorpio - ~69 - 82 - sexual revolution, impending change, upheaval, crisis, taboo breaking, occult realizations
    Neptune in Sagittarius - ~82 - 94 - modern existential dilemma, economic expansion, philosophical religious or spiritual awakening, philosophical wandering
    Neptune in Capricorn - ~94 - 07 - popularity culture, group think, mass marketing, working mentality, government control
    Neptune in Aquarius - 08 ~ present - social idealism, top heavy government, economic structures, economic sustenance, global issues, the interconnected human race
    Neptune in Pisces ... 20 - 33 social & economic dissolution, losses, lost wandering, impractical idealism, isolation, inner spirituality, dreaming

Neptune in Purvabhava pada ... 16 - 22 - anxiety, impending sense of system failure, economic turmoil, macabre realization, faint hope, abuse...
    3 more years til that one begins

the fact that we've become adults in the most troubled times
    Last edited by rat1; 07-20-2013 at 07:52 PM.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sssonyyy View Post
    Well we have seen a lot in terms of the digital age.. I mean these days kids are born to all this fantastic technology but I remember having to learn basic comp skills like how to use a mouse back in elementary school, a walkman.. but when the ipods came along we were still young enough to embrace that too. So, to draw a parallel with people who lived through the depression and WWII - I mean, they saw a lot of change. We've seen a lot of change too, I guess?
    I agree that is true to an extent. However, I find that every generation undergoes notable technological change. Even the baby boomers and generation X experienced this as well as the technological change is constant.

I think what distinguishes generation Y and the GI generation mostly as heroes is the dramatic economical changes and societal changes of the winter season imo.

For us the 2008 recession's economic impact is one example of this and the repercussions of the 9/11 attack on our civil liberties imo.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just to correct a little bit, hero is the archetype( n. the original pattern or model from which all things of the same kind are copied or on which they are based; a model or first form; prototype). We may not see our generation as heroic, but we are very optimistically bearing a huge economic depression, and likely have not confronted our final crisis. Each generation has it's own "role" that is based on the global situation. For instance, we may be a generation liberated of some life conditions, like the first hero generation, which were kids during and shortly after the industrial revolution freed people away from the many tyrannies the working poor faced at the time.

Strauss-Howe also talk about our generation being a Civic generation and focused on society. One theory states the baby boomers were seeking endlessly ideals and a better way whereas our generation may focus on one SINGLE "right" ideal. Maybe something humanism, a global society rather than the gridlock of endless wars for the rich? With increasing communication technology it will be more and more difficult to shield the poor who fight the wars from the knowledge that they are pawns. And this goes for both sides. Destroying media and government control over information may be what revolutionizes our generation as the industrial revolution did the last.
    asd

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm bumping this without offering any actual input.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I don't really relate to the Hero one (as an individual or as part of such a generation). I do have a sense of long-term optimism, and I think it is undeniable that this is an age of great innovation like no other, but that is about it. I think such observations are the general trend of history however.

This generation (or rather time period) is also rather unique in that there are three (and more) generations co-existing in large numbers, and also having extended lifespans and significantly increased levels of disposable income...and of course, the ability to acquire vast amounts of knowledge and data for very low cost, and also to travel the world, amongst other things.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose that no one truly wants to define himself according to his parents' struggles and triumphs. There is something unlively about experiencing pleasure vicariously. It is almost pornographic.
    Last edited by xerx; 11-07-2020 at 06:07 AM. Reason: edit

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This seems like astrology in that you have to stretch the theory to find any applicability to current events. I’d be curious to know what anyone sees in this.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The generations theory is a cycle theory or a sine curve theory. Many of these cycles exist and are obvious. Many of them are questionable and ephemeral.
    I congratulate Krig on combining this with socionics. This should bring discussion further towards socionics types being a cultural phenomenon.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smilex View Post
    The generations theory is a cycle theory or a sine curve theory. Many of these cycles exist and are obvious. Many of them are questionable and ephemeral.
    I congratulate Krig on combining this with socionics. This should bring discussion further towards socionics types being a cultural phenomenon.
    Strauss & Howe approach their definitions from a collective generational point of view. They define their groups as everyone in the generation. Personality is not relevant. Everyone's along for the ride. Yet these generations are defined by and cause events that define quadra progression. These events aren't formed by any individual generation completely but every generation goes through the events just in different points of their lives...

Again though... events aren't people and S&H describe the generations in ways that echo socionics.

I think we shoud consider society a computer that's working through informational elements. Different informational elements are accentuated during different periods. People are molded most by the information they receive when they're young but they define progression from that origin as they work things through in their head.

"Unraveling

According to Strauss and Howe, the Third Turning is an Unraveling. The mood of this era is in many ways the opposite of a High: Institutions are weak and distrusted, while individualism is strong and flourishing. Highs come after Crises, when society wants to coalesce and build. Unravelings come after Awakenings, when society wants to atomize and enjoy.[24] They declare that America’s most recent Unraveling was the Long Boom and Culture War, beginning in the mid-1980s and ending in the late 2000s."

-This is closest to the Te+Fi informational elements working in combination. The writing here requires interpretation. Not just translation. They don't manage to separate rising values from peak values in every matter. They talk about Te+Si more than Te+Ni but the era that they talk about had strong gamma aspects.

"Crisis

According to the authors, the Fourth Turning is a Crisis. This is an era in which institutional life is destroyed and rebuilt in response to a perceived threat to the nation’s survival. Civic authority revives, cultural expression redirects towards community purpose, and people begin to locate themselves as members of a larger group.[25] America’s most recent completed Fourth Turning began with the stock market crash of 1929 and climaxed with the end of World War II. The G.I. Generation (a Hero archetype, born 1901 to 1924) came of age during this era. Their confidence, optimism, and collective outlook epitomized the mood of the era.[26] Today’s youth, the Millennial Generation (Hero archetype, born 1982 to 2004), show many traits similar to those of the G.I. youth, including rising civic engagement, improving behavior, and collective confidence.[27]

"

- This is closest to Si+Ne. Basically institutions at their weakest. Peak fracturing of society means also a new rise in sociability.

"High
    According to Strauss and Howe, the First Turning is a High. This is a post-Crisis era when institutions are strong and individualism is weak. Society is confident about where it wants to go collectively, though those outside the majoritarian center often feel stifled by the conformity.[20]

According to the authors, America's most recent First Turning was the post-World War II American High, beginning in 1946 and ending with the assassination of President John F. Kennedy on November 22, 1963.[21]"

Ti+Fe here.

"
    Awakening

According to the theory, the Second Turning is an Awakening. This is an era when institutions are attacked in the name of personal and spiritual autonomy. Just when society is reaching its high tide of public progress, people suddenly tire of social discipline and want to recapture a sense of personal authenticity. Young activists look back at the previous High as an era of cultural and spiritual poverty.[22]

Strauss & Howe say America’s most recent Awakening was the “Consciousness Revolution,” which spanned from the campus and inner-city revolts of the mid-1960s to the reelection of Ronald Reagan.[23]"

This is their version of Ni+Se.

So...

"
    Prophet

Prophet generations are born near the end of a Crisis, during a time of rejuvenated community life and consensus around a new societal order. Prophets grow up as the increasingly indulged children of this post-Crisis era, come of age as self-absorbed young crusaders of an Awakening, focus on morals and principles in midlife, and emerge as elders guiding another Crisis.[44]"

-Are people who are born to Si+Ne, grow into Ti+Fe cults, become adults who find vision and wisdom Ni and later morals Fi and finally see their life's surroundings collapse if they live long enough into fractions Si+Ne again.
    Now at each point in their lives, these are the informational elements offered to them at various points. How they react to each turn is their own choice. Working with the cycle tends to lead to more success than against it in general, but the counter-current always has an ecological niche.

"Nomad

Nomad generations are born during an Awakening, a time of social ideals and spiritual agendas, when young adults are passionately attacking the established institutional order. Nomads grow up as under-protected children during this Awakening, come of age as alienated, post-Awakening adults, become pragmatic midlife leaders during a Crisis, and age into resilient post-Crisis elders.[44]"

Born to Ti+Fe, grow up during Ni+Se, constant fighting and danger. Are young adults in times of civility and unraveling of society. Are leaders of society during it's crisis and crash. Become old to see a birth of a new era.

"Hero

Hero generations are born after an Awakening, during an Unraveling, a time of individual pragmatism, self-reliance, and laissez faire. Heroes grow up as increasingly protected post-Awakening children, come of age as team-oriented young optimists during a Crisis, emerge as energetic, overly-confident midlifers, and age into politically powerful elders attacked by another Awakening."

Born to Ni+Se. Are children in an era that seeks individualism from an origin of commonality. Become young adults to face the fractioned society and have various adventures and misadventures. The winners become leaders of new movements and live old to see their creations find their limits and lead to violent consequences.

"

Artist
    Artist generations are born after an Unraveling, during a Crisis, a time when great dangers cut down social and political complexity in favor of public consensus, aggressive institutions, and an ethic of personal sacrifice. Artists grow up overprotected by adults preoccupied with the Crisis, come of age as the socialized and conformist young adults of a post-Crisis world, break out as process-oriented midlife leaders during an Awakening, and age into thoughtful post-Awakening elders.[44]

"

Born to Te+Fi... Are children during crisis when the society starts to seek safety in communality. Become young adults as members of large social movements. Lead reformation when the movements find their limits and become old to see the slow decline of the world they lived in.