Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Synesthesia and types

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Synesthesia and types

What types have the ability to hear colors, see sounds (synesthesia)?
    Last edited by Iwantpeace; 09-02-2020 at 10:07 PM.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My first guess is introverts and then Ip types. You have good connection to internal and Ip magnifies irrational elements.

What his type is? Some sort of introvert. LII?

Personally as much as I want to have proper connection to my senses. It does not happen
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sorrows View Post

Basic definition: Synesthesia -- the effect of hearing colors, seeing sounds and other cross-sensory phenomena.

My assumption is this is closely related to Si and Ne, Ni. It would require very strong intuition, visualization, and sensory abilities.
    IEEs and ILEs who are Ne leading and suggestible Si should be very good at this.
    I agree with and . Less with . I think that strong could be partially responsible for synesthesia. For what it's worth, I am a LII-Ti and I have synesthesia, especially color/pitch one.
    KEEP IT LIGHT AND KEEP IT MOVING

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    I agree with and . Less with . I think that strong could be partially responsible for synesthesia. For what it's worth, I am a LII-Ti and I have synesthesia, especially color/pitch one.
    I think xII types are sometimes very creative when it comes to creating worlds with some details and making it coherent.

Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have number synesthesia. I always experience numbers graphically.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Seems pretty 9 - merging > merging of the senses

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    I have number synesthesia. I always experience numbers graphically.
    How do you experience number line and continuity between numbers?
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by unsuccessfull Alphamale View Post
    Its a complicated pattern. Kind of like a "fractal". But it follows the basic clock-pattern. So 1 to 10 looks like the clock. Also 10 to 100 and also 100 to 1000. Etc. At 12 a'clock the line bends and the pattern repeats itself. I can zoom in on different levels. Everything is connected. I can also see it in 3d perspective.

Ive seen numbers like this since childhood.

I know varations on this is a common synesthesia.

I can make a drawing of this during the weekend and post it here.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

You can sign up for this and do whatever tests they have. It has been awhile since I did them.

http://www.synesthete.org/

Preview The Synesthesia Battery

The Synesthesia Battery aims to understand and objectively quantify synesthetic perception.
    The first part of the battery is a comprehensive questionnaire that gathers information about the types of synesthesia, their characteristics, and relevant information about the synesthete.

Click to Enlarge

Click to Enlarge
    Grapheme→Color Synesthesia is one of the most common varieties of synesthesia for which we have developed two types of software programs.
    The Color-Picker program allows the synesthete to assign colors to the graphemes presented in random order with repetitions. Click here for a short demo version of the program.
    Speeded-Congruency is a program that makes the synesthete respond to graphemes presented in colors matching with (congruent) or not matching with (incongruent) colors as chosen on the Color-Picker program. The accuracy and reaction times are measured as a read-out of the synesthetic perception. Click here for a short demo version of the program.

View Demo

View Demo
    The Color-Picker has been extended to other types of synesthesia as well, including
    Chinese-Grapheme→Color Synesthesia, Musical-Pitch→Color Synesthesia, and Musical-Instrument→Color Synesthesia.

Short Demo Programs:
    Chinese Numerals→Color
    Musical Pitch→Color
    Musical Chords→Color
    Musical Instruments→Color

View Demo

View Demo
    View a sample of the results page generated on completion of the battery. All responses on the questionnaires with the graphs and analyzed results are generated.
    A typical synesthete's result page

Click to Enlarge
    A typical non-synesthete's result page

Click to Enlarge

Battery 1 Status: Complete on 09-24-2016
    Types of Synesthesia you have

• Sequences->Spatial locations
      (Sequences such as numbers, weekdays or months)
    • Smell->Color
    • Pain->Color
    • Personalities->Color
    • Emotion->Color
    • Vision->Sound
    • Sound->Taste

Movement ->Piano Scale Test

Vividness of Visual Imagery

Your VVIQ-2 Score is 4.90625

This test quantifies how vividly different people can visualize objects and scenes. A score above 3 suggests a higher level of vividness relative to the general population. We are using this questionnaire to understand whether synesthetes are better at mental imagery than controls.

Wikipedia Article Marks, D.F. (1973). Visual imagery in the recall of pictures. British Journal of Psychology, 64, 17-24.

Projector Associator

Your PA Score is -0.66666666666667

Projectors and Associators are proposed forms of synesthesia that describe how you experience your synesthetic percept. If you are classified as an 'Associator', it means that your synesthetic associations (like colored letters, for example) are experienced in your mind's eye. When shown text on a page, Associators know that each letter has a color, but they don't actually see color on the page. If you are a 'Projector', it means that you physically see the color projected onto the page in front of you. A positive score is classified as a projector and a negative score is classified as an associator.

Support Synesthesia Research

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Ideasthesia (alternative spelling ideaesthesia) is defined as a phenomenon in which activations of concepts (inducers) evoke perception-like experiences (concurrents). The name comes from Greek ἰδέα (idéa) and αἴσθησις (aísthēsis), meaning 'sensing concepts" or "sensing ideas'. The main reason for introducing the notion of ideasthesia was the empirical evidence indicating that the related term synesthesia (i.e. union of senses) suggests incorrect explanation of a set of phenomena traditionally covered by this heading. Syn-aesthesis denoting "co-perceiving", implies the association of two sensory elements with little connection to the cognitive level. However, according to others,[1][2][3][4][5] most phenomena that have inadvertently been linked to synesthesia in fact are induced by the semantic representations i.e., the meaning of the stimulus rather than by its sensory properties, as would be implied by the term synesthesia. In other words, while synesthesia presumes that both inducer and concurrent are of sensory nature, ideasthesia presumes that only the concurrent is of sensory nature while inducer is semantic. Research on ideasthesia bears important implications for solving the mystery of human conscious experience, which according to ideasthesia, is grounded in how we activate concepts.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideasthesia

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh how nice Tallmo! I've read that people who have some form of synesthesia are even the more prone to experience "paranormal" events, such as dreams, premonitions, psychometry... they can sort of come to mold together different "realities".. uh, does anyone have any experiences of the sort?

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basic definition: Synesthesia -- the effect of hearing colors, seeing sounds and other cross-sensory phenomena.

My assumption is this is closely related to Si and Ne, Ni. It would require very strong intuition, visualization, and sensory abilities.
    IEEs and ILEs who are Ne leading and suggestible Si should be very good at this.

Synesthesia and type:

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hybris theory View Post
    Oh how nice Tallmo! I've read that people who have some form of synesthesia are even the more prone to experience "paranormal" events, such as dreams, premonitions, psychometry... they can sort of come to mold together different "realities".. uh, does anyone have any experiences of the sort?
    Yes, I have had many experiences that fall into the paranormal category. I am just selective who I share them with since I know it could land me in a psychiatrist's office explaining why I am not crazy, only to leave with a diagnosis and a bottle of prescription drugs, that I don't need or want.

In a completely dark room I can perceive physical touch which is disconcerting but I think it explains some of my experiences as a child. I still sleep with the lights or tv/monitor on because of it. It is just easier that way.

YWIMW

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't think its related to Si (at least not Si lead).

IME its related to Intuition.
    Last edited by Hope; 07-24-2017 at 02:59 PM.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i feel like this gets romanticized a lot, I prefer everything in its proper domain... overlap seems confusing, more like a handicap than a superpower

if I had to guess though I think it has to do with Ip polr, it would be like the perceptual equivalent of Ti polr where shits all confused and contradictory, rather than neat and discrete (maybe theres a Te version, and hence Ep version? dunno)

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the same thing as why some people sneeze whey they get the shine of a bright light in their eyes. Neurological pathways that has gone somewhat haywire.

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    Yes, I have had many experiences that fall into the paranormal category. I am just selective who I share them with since I know it could land me in a psychiatrist's office explaining why I am not crazy, only to leave with a diagnosis and a bottle of prescription drugs, that I don't need or want.
    Lol oh dear, I get you! thanks for sharing your experience! So you're a synesthetic too? What kind of synesthesia is it? If you don't mind me asking? This is very interesting..

ps. I know my request may seem weird, but I'd like to see how such a pattern is interpreted in your astrological charts.. I'd be very glad if you synesthetic people with special kind of abilities, wanted to share your birth data with me... let me know thank you <3

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Interesting....I'm rather weak on ne and ni polr but i see numbers as colors. Sensations as colors etc.
    Maybe there is no correlation with types or functions.

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I can mix things together. I don't think this is synesthesia it is just lateral thinking.

Like when my nephew told me that he was picking up berries I said that is so difficult because they are so tiny and run fast do you have to be sneaky.
    Most people look me "wtf" expression on their face. I think someone could call me borderline crazy.
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I came to remember that my mum had similar "visions" like those of Tallmo. But they were not really visions. She was a SLI and a statistician, she liked hard data. When I had problems to understand something mathematical she'd always explain me using real practical images... she was pretty damn smart. Math has always looked real with her help. Maybe it's an S thing : )

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Lol oh dear, I get you! thanks for sharing your experience! So you're a synesthetic too? What kind of synesthesia is it? If you don't mind me asking? This is very interesting..

ps. I know my request may seem weird, but I'd like to see how such a pattern is interpreted in your astrological charts.. I'd be very glad if you synesthetic people with special kind of abilities, wanted to share your birth data with me... let me know thank you <3
    I will pm my response.

YWIMW

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thankyouuu lots ^^^

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by This is my Final Form View Post
    It's the same thing as why some people sneeze whey they get the shine of a bright light in their eyes. Neurological pathways that has gone somewhat haywire.
    but its like, pathways in the consciousness and how to perceive abstract information.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

I have some weird auditory-visual-spatial synesthesia. Numbers and concepts of logical systems get associated with that synesthesia the easiest but I do also have the "more common" letter->colour synesthesia. I've had it since age 6-8 or so for the colours part, only very few auditory parts back then, and it started developing much stronger for the auditory-dynamic visual (the imagery part is vague tho') components of it from age 12, this is for numbers, for some concepts of logical systems, for some other strings of characters, for some names, and even for some words especially if they are not in my native language. Have the spatial component for calculations performed on numbers and mathematical concepts. I also recently noticed a little emotion->colour synesthesia, some feelings and emotional states (not all of them for some reason?) get associated with colours. This one seems new.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Mine is boring, just two-dimensional spatial.

Not me. I'm really low on this psychic stuff or Intution as well in Socionics.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do have a closer connection to the unconscious than the average man. But nothing out of the ordinary.

Im curious. Am i the only one here who sees numbers in space in my inner imagination. Its the only way i can make sense of numbers. I think it has to do with weak intuition.

Will post picture soon...
    Last edited by Tallmo; 07-25-2017 at 06:07 AM.

(Jung on Si)

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Tallmo
    you may be lacking intuition but that's abstract thinking right there : ) I've noticed the same with my mum who wasn't much for the intellectual stuff, but all about numbers and data. she could turn those numbers and rules in images. definitely helping for the abstract types who can't even think about the numbers... she once explained me the economics markets using "boxes", how they're filled and emptied. that was very easy to remember and still stuck in my mind when I try to make sense of it

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My own dull way of understanding it (-infinity)<---------------------------->(infinity) with random starting points.

Hooking one number as reference to other to determine distance which is applicable for given task.
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

do you think they're basically arbitrary hooks or is there some kind of emergent order to it

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Let's say there is a calculation range is in tens.
    then if number 12 is introduced I might think 12=10+2
    Number 10 might serve as a hook where I start expand depending on in which way we continue. Like 10-4=6.
    I think it is not the most economical way of doing it. I have read an infamous article written by Hans Asperger who described boys that couldn't bother doing basic math but excelled at abstract problems. They had similar approach as I do.

Spectacle.i10528.png
    Sounds like me
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...ZhZjE3ZGRhZGVk
    Last edited by The Reality Denialist; 07-24-2017 at 01:47 PM.
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that my kind of synesthesia is rather traditional and basic.

I associate each musical note with a color:

E - Grey
    A - Red
    D - Blue
    G - Brown
    C - Green
    F - Light Green
    Bb - Light Brown
    Eb - Light Blue
    Ab - Dark Red
    Db - Yellow
    Gb - Magenta
    B - Orange

Some of them are more defined, some others are more vague. But generally this is what I feel.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Number 10 might serve as a hook where I start expand depending on in which way we continue. Like 10-4=6.
    I think it is not the most economical way of doing it. I have read an infamous article written by Hans Asperger who described boys that couldn't bother doing basic math but excelled at abstract problems. They had similar approach as I do.

Spectacle.i10528.png
    Sounds like me
    that is amazing

do you think its correct to say that is a form of Ti?

TIM
    Sx/Sp 2w3
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have known a few Ne bases with this, that being said I don't think it's really type related at all.
    ・゚*✧ 𝓘 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒶𝒸𝒸𝑒𝓅𝓉 𝒶 𝓁𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝓘 𝒹𝑜 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒹𝑒𝓈𝑒𝓇𝓋𝑒 ✧*:・゚

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand View Post
    that is amazing

do you think its correct to say that is a form of Ti?
    Better to ask @Myst and @User Name

Harro the boy in it sounds like extreme LII/ILE. Reading comprehension is excellent may look over details and environment. Tells you what things mean in story. Didn't follow orders in school. Studied stuff way beyond other's level but failed at passing a grade multiple times.
    Last edited by The Reality Denialist; 07-24-2017 at 03:14 PM.
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

yeah lets get them in here

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@unsuccessfull Alphamale: I think so. That sounds extremely . Especially when compared with , which would try to think in the "most economical way".

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spectacle.i10528.png
    Sounds like me
    ? But how is this different from how everyone does math problems of this sort? I mean, when you do them in your head, doesn't everyone do them like this?

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

lol no i think 2+1 and 7+2 and put them together. if I have to carry the it adds an additional step. i feel like this guy is adding steps here and there because he prefers to do it that way. some of them are kind of intuitive and make sense, others are somewhat bizarre but interesting

squark are you autistic

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol no i think 2+1 and 7+2 and put them together. if I have to carry the it adds an additional step. i feel like this guy is adding steps here and there because he prefers to do it that way. some of them are kind of intuitive and make sense, others are somewhat bizarre but interesting

squark are you autistic
    lol, no, I'm not autistic. And I wouldn't do every single problem exactly like he did, but with the tens - you don't simplify numbers down to even tens to add and subtract them?

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

I have some spatial (in 2D and in 3D) synesthesia with doing calculations on numbers. It kind of anchors the stuff more but I don't see it as the fastest way on its own to add them up. Fastest is just me feeling the quantities of numbers (with precise focus added beyond just estimating them) "around"/"over" the 10s / 100s etc and some other "feels" (including some of these spatial ones) either speeding that up or just being an extra gimmick (and if I go to focus on the extra gimmick it could slow me down). Maybe this going "around" round numbers is the same as yours with 12 being "around" 10 by being 2 more than 10? Your number 10 being a hook sounds like what I have, but I'm not sure, let me know based on what I'm going to describe here.

So, taking some of the examples you posted...

27+12: they just very quickly and smoothly "slide" onto each other (not actual movement, just spatial "feels", 2D) because of no going "around" a round number and because they are both neatly divisible by 3 which somehow speeds up the process of adding them up... I just automatically "feel" them being divisible like that and it "feels" neat.

58+34: they "slide" still but I have to go "around" 90 (round number) to get to the result. So, for adding 58 and 34 the 34 is 32+2 where 58 and 32 quickly fit-"click" together then I go "around" 90 with the last 2 to get to 92. That fitting together can have a 3D "feel" to it.

From the examples shown I really liked the last one (52-25). I found it neat how the guy had the multiplies and how that sped up things for the subtraction. I could actually "feel" it myself reading it (and how it sped up things) but I never directly focused on that myself before, hm.

I think it is not the most economical way of doing it.
    If I rote learned all the calculations or something, and if that worked best for me, sure that'd be more economical... but nope, lol. IMO, it's going to depend on the individual as to what's most economical for them.

lol no i think 2+1 and 7+2 and put them together. if I have to carry the it adds an additional step
    Doing it that way would almost hurt my head, lol because it gets to be noticeably slower compared to my own way. My own way I think relies on "feeling" the numbers themselves without having to break them down to digits and adding step by step.
    Last edited by Myst; 07-24-2017 at 05:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast