Thread: How do I even type myself?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face How do I even type myself?

Does anyone here know a reliable way I can be certain of my type? I always find something that makes me doubt myself. Questionnaires also don't help because I suspect myself of subconsciously answering in a way that leads to the results I want.

I would really appreciate if someone gave me some sort of recommendation on how to do it, as I've been type-hopping for quite some time and I've considered 10 of the 16 sociotypes, with no definite result.
    Last edited by d8didiswi; 10-13-2021 at 01:15 PM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Www.sociotype.com/tests original test, post full results.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is difficult to say what can remedy this for sure, but if it is any consolation, you're not alone. I have considered probably all 16 over the years, and there are many like us.

I have found that others can provide a clear (and external) perspective after interacting with you for some time, but if the uncertainty comes from within I understand that might not quell it. Hopefully someone has sage advice!

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cambrian explosion View Post
    I would really appreciate if someone gave me some sort of recommendation on how to do it, as I've been type-hopping for quite some time and I've considered 10 of the 16 sociotypes, with no definite result.
    I am not a fan of questionnaires at all and advise against using them. Unless you just need a quick and very rough idea of a possible type and don't care that it's likely wrong. Other socionists typing you is better than a questionnaire, but still not as good as self-typing I feel. You're the only one inside your own head after all.

For me the most tried and true method of typing is via process of elimination, focusing on the ego functions. Some types are easy to rule out I think. Valued 4D and even 3D Fe I feel is very apparent, and shouldn't take much work to figure out if you have. If you feel you have neither, then that's 4 types right there that you can cross off the list. I feel like valued 4 and 3D Se is also relatively easy to spot, so see if you have that. If not, then there goes another 4 types and you're down to 8, which is already lower than the 10 you've considered. You're definitely one of the types, so if you aren't finding that you identify with anything right away then try focusing on what you're definitely not. At the very least I think this method will bring you down to 2 to 4 possible types pretty reliably. From there it can get a bit trickier, but I'm reasonably confident it'll set you on the right path anyways
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AWellArmedCat View Post
    At the very least I think this method will bring you down to 2 to 4 possible types pretty reliably. From there it can get a bit trickier, but I'm reasonably confident it'll set you on the right path anyways
    Yes, I'm stuck in this phase. I can't decide if I'm alpha SF or delta NF (my main bets) among others

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ask Gulenko

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't think there is one right way. Different schools will use different methods and have slightly different definitions of IMs, functions, and of how quadra values manifest, use different models etc. I do think you have to accept that socionics is not a unified theory, but that there are several theories - I am agnostic which one works best for others. One approach might resonate with you more than another.

I got typed by Gulenko, and it didn't really quell my doubts - an external diagnostic can only really confirm what you already think you know - it cannot do the work for you. And if there are inconsistencies with how the type is described in most descriptions and the diagnostic, that's pretty unsettling. Unless of course, you are the type of person who submits themselves to what they consider an expert in a field (admitting it is not your field) and doesn't really look further - which is fine but not really the attitude of most on here.

Honestly, I think the best is sticking with basics, but I don't mean that in the way most understand it. I don't mean sticking only with Aushra and Jung as authors for example, as their work is pretty old and many advances have been made in the field of socionics (though most recent literature on the topic is not available in English). Yes, I know that old does not mean irrelevant, and you can look at old sources too. What I mean with basics is how one socionicst (Wiesband I think) referred to socionics as a "science of banalities". Many try to convolute the theory, which is what leads to confusion.

Another problem is that most recent literature, most advances in the field are just not available to English speakers. So we are lacking alot of information as it is. WSS has done a good job in my opinion of bringing socionics to the English speaking world, but they also constantly refer to Aushra who wrote in the 1970s while ignoring recent advances it seems. Maybe if Aushra were alive today, she'd scrap alot of her theories. It isn't dogma.
    Last edited by WVBRY; 10-13-2021 at 12:49 PM.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not just about you. You have to study, work with and date other people so that you can compare and get a sense of the whole phenomenon of types and ITRs. Keep studying and observing and try to learn from people who know more about Socionics. Study typings of famous people. It's a process.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I'm stuck in this phase. I can't decide if I'm alpha SF or delta NF (my main bets) among others
    I feel like those types are pretty different from each other. Alpha SFs will have that valued 4 or 3D Fe I was mentioning. Do you feel you don't relate to Fe ego descriptions somehow? Also keep in mind the HA functions for each of those types: ESE (Ne), SEI (Ti), IEE (Te), EII (Si). An SEI and an IEE will have wildly different experiences with Te for example, and this is what I recommend looking into first. For the SEI Te is the PoLR function and it should produce a certain amount of discomfort for you if you are SEI. The IEE on the other hand wants to go TOWARDS Te as it's their activating function. An IEE will more likely than not be very interested in Te data and go out of their way to get it. Flip this dynamic around with regards to Ti
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Does anyone here know a reliable way I can be certain of my type? I always find something that makes me doubt myself. Questionnaires also don't help because I suspect myself of subconsciously answering in a way that leads to the results I want.

The only thing that worked for me was to give it time. Ive had the same struggles where i would mull over my type for a couple of years untill i finally settled. What helped give me "proof" or like anchors of truth was that as a kid and teen, before i knew socionics ive always identified with and kind of "idolized" other older SLEs, such as on youtube and such. That was a big one for me.
    What also helped was to ask my parents and sister what type would fit me best, since they probably know you even better than you do yourself. Ive found it really hard to categorize my personality because i cannot actually look at myself, i see the world through it so it blurs everything i see. I guess watching old recordings of yourself can also help with typing yourself.

dewusional entitwed snowfwake VewyScawwyNawcissist's Avatar
    TIM
    NF 6w5-4w5-1w9 VLEF
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It took me years. i had to think a lot about a lot of people, which type may they be, which cognitive functions they are using in wihich order, what each one siginifies and how it relates to their behavior, reverse engineering too. reading jung's book about cognitive functions, a lot of various information on the internet, trying to think about what makes sense and what doesnt, where all the contradictions are, how do those contradcitions make sense to be true at the same time depending on the contexts behind them and how that relates to other contradictions and cognitive functions and examples. all that while looking at expressions, mannerisms, visual charactericists of faces that are also consistent with type. if u can narrow down to 4 types out of 16 then that's proof there's something there its not all up in the air.
    so when u ask if something is Se or Fi its actually a combination of cognitive functions its never only 1, and then u can have multiple guesses for which combinations that thing may be, then u have another thing with other combinations and u try to make the connection between that and the previous one, keep doing that and u get the full picture eventually. type is something particular where there are many human things people share with eachc other. its the particular way of someone that makes them distinct.
    https://linktr.ee/tehhnicus
    Jesus is King stops black magic and closes portals

self diagnosed ASD, ADHD, schizotypal/affective

Your face makes your brain and sociotype – how muscle use shapes personality

I want to care
    if I was better I’d help you
    if I was better you’d be better

Human Design 2/4 projector life path 1

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The uncertainty you have is good, it means you are about to learn more about yourself.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eudaimonia View Post
    The uncertainty you have is good, it means you are about to learn more about yourself.

Isn't that a movie quote ? I imagine a guru with an indian accent saying those words.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BaruchJorgell View Post
    Isn't that a movie quote ? I imagine a guru with an indian accent saying those words.

lol no but I'll take that as a compliment
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i feel that time and relations are one's friend as well as talking to people one-on-one off the forum who know socionics... the largest growth spurts with socionics happen when i am talking to someone else about it aaaah... but over time, observation irl just is something that happens... it all seeps in, the patterns undeniable, and so gradually more and more forms into the wonderful Ti understanding my HA dreams of, it's path driven by questions and the Ti HA is always working behind the scenes to answer questions and transcend mysteries, to build an understanding. it's ofc the journey not the destination. but i am not bothered by this. i already decided long ago i like socionics and i'm keeping it with me for life. we got married. jk. the weakness for me is that given my druthers i avoid all other human beings and if i could i would just lock myself in my apartment and rarely leave and find more and more artful ways to disguise myself when i do, and only appear when i want, where i want and the way i want, so that i am only known when i want, where i want and by who i might peer out of my veil at.

oh, ofc in the beginning it's um reading all the materials... aaaaaah. and reflecting over them for a while. but i eventually got lazy on reading them all. sniff.