Thread: Your typing of forum members

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nebula View Post
    The goal seems to be to accurately predict the inner state of someone through external visual cues. This is a threat to individuality and to freethought itself. Such attempts must be held to a very high standard to prevent people from taking advantage of other, which they will try.

Visual "cues" are filled with false assumptions and logical fallacies. Many facial expressions may have numerous internal causations, which all appear the same on the outside, but only the individual has access to. I cannot count how many times I've been falsely accused of some motivation or thought based on my facial expression. People think they know what is going on in my head because of how I present or look to them. Sometimes, people are correct, but mostly they are just guessing and happen to be lucky. I understand that this is just a part of what our brains have evolved to do, to guess intentions for social reasons. But, it is quite fallible.
    Good point, and this is similar to why I don't actually use VI.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    They don't really explain why those studies didn't show a correlation between the actual traits and the facial structure, except to point out that they rely on self-reported traits - which, although not ideal is still a rough indication of someone's actual personality.

"But really, these studies just affirm that people see themselves the same way others see them."

Come on. There is a huge difference between a stranger who only gets to see a picture of you, and you, who actually know how you behave. At the very least you can say there is a correlation. Of course it won't be perfect just like with socionics, but it's still there.
    Yes, agree. Like I said, I’ve looked at earlier articles and the studies themselves where possible over a number of years. The point generally has been to show that people glean information from faces that matches with something, whether that’s self-reported traits or traits indicated by some other category. And they did show that repeatedly, even if as with any data it must be carefully interpreted.

Yes, self-report is flawed, but otoh it is relied on in Big 5, which afaik is still regarded as acceptable in the research world. And as you say, if a stranger is able to tell by a glance at a static image of my face a decent amount of what I self-report as my personality traits, that’s interesting stuff, and it’s no doubt why studies like this have proliferated.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nebula View Post
    The goal seems to be to accurately predict the inner state of someone through external visual cues. This is a threat to individuality and to freethought itself. Such attempts must be held to a very high standard to prevent people from taking advantage of other, which they will try.

Visual "cues" are filled with false assumptions and logical fallacies. Many facial expressions may have numerous internal causations, which all appear the same on the outside, but only the individual has access to. I cannot count how many times I've been falsely accused of some motivation or thought based on my facial expression. People think they know what is going on in my head because of how I present or look to them. Sometimes, people are correct, but mostly they are just guessing and happen to be lucky. I understand that this is just a part of what our brains have evolved to do, to guess intentions for social reasons. But, it is quite fallible.
    Regarding expressions, although I think there are patterns of expressions that may emerge with certain personality traits, any given expression definitely can be just a social mask (or something else, I assume), which is why the study of leaked micro-expressions is useful.

I mean, I think you are discussing transitory states rather than “supposedly” stable traits. But I agree in either case it can be fallible. I just wouldn’t throw it out entirely on that basis. I’d like to know what aspects of visual assessment are and aren’t more or less fallible, and why, etc.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I showed a post of his to my SLI ex-wife, who works at the UM law school, and she said they sometimes get students who write like that. They send them to special classes to teach them to write clearly.
    The make the situation weirder he's studing to mess with laws. Imagine what documents he may create.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

the best documents

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand View Post
    the best documents
    you are hidden anarchist

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Malignantwench seems IEI.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me,myself and I = IEI
    oops i'm a cocky guy
    I'm also a forum member ladidalalalala

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dida is a legendary keeper btw in football that's why I included him in my segment
    Research him, he's great

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

do we have a real picture of hag 2? how do you VI yourself (I know you're into that!)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a really good typing it'll be on my next post

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TheUltimateDJ391 - IEI

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^
    Successful correct self-typing. Yeah.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@WinnieW
    LII-H (harmonizing subtype)
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@AndyW since there's been some discussion of your type I thought I'd give my 2c. I've never actually interacted with you so I don't have a strong opinion of your type, but I think your original self-typing as LSE feels right. I get Delta vibes from your posts, you seem like a relatively serious person so I think LSE is right.

I would imagine ILE (since it has been suggested) to be alot more goofy and pushing of limits.
    Last edited by WVBRY; 10-01-2018 at 12:17 PM.

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Nr 007 View Post
    @WinnieW
    LII-H (harmonizing subtype)
    Finally a typing.
    How do you came to that conclusion? Based on a few single posts or an accumulated general impression of my posts in this forum.

Does INTj-Ne match LII-H or is this a conflicting combination? To my understanding INTj-Ne should match LII-C;
    do that two systems of subtypes have a strong correlation to each other, or don't?

tbh. I'm too much of a covert rebel to fit a harmonizing type.
    All you have to do is to put some pressure on me, that kind of pressure I don't like and the harmony is gone...

Do you think that kind of subtype is static or dynamic?

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WinnieW View Post
    Finally a typing.
    How do you came to that conclusion? Based on a few single posts or an accumulated general impression of my posts in this forum.

Does INTj-Ne match LII-H or is this a conflicting combination? To my understanding INTj-Ne should match LII-C;
    do that two systems of subtypes have a strong correlation to each other, or don't?

tbh. I'm too much of a covert rebel to fit a harmonizing type.
    All you have to do is to put some pressure on me, that kind of pressure I don't like and the harmony is gone...

Do you think that kind of subtype is static or dynamic?
    It is just your attentiveness to harmony of your environment which promotes dynamic elements. I think there is some sort of PoLR at work. It is like harmonizing type needs to be in peace with PoLR.

I think for H it is like they want to be the rebels and C wants to be in harmony but... that is why they should look for each other.

Anyways H is just the impression I got based on your texts.
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Avebury have you considered EIE? Just wondering.

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought @Bertrand was ESI months ago, but now think IEE.

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@fox I think you're ESI and wish you'd post more these days.

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Moderator View Post
    I type @Bertrand ILI. To me, he seems like a pretty good example of Dialectical-Algorithmic cognition and NT. There's only one of those.

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aramas View Post
    I type @Bertrand ILI. To me, he seems like a pretty good example of Dialectical-Algorithmic cognition and NT. There's only one of those.
    He always struck me as Holographic Panoramic. He makes a generous amount of comparisons to illustrate his perceptions. It's one of the reasons his walls of text seem to start at New York City and wind up at Timbuktu. Ie. he sees how disparate ideas have similar qualities because he perceives those qualities from numerous angles.

Additionally, he appears to kind of wake up with a new frame of mind every day, like the sociotype.com description of IEEs trying out different lifestyles, going back to the IEE proclivity for novelty and potential.

@Aramas What makes you say DA? Can you cite particular instances?

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

He always struck me as Holographic Panoramic. He makes a generous amount of comparisons to illustrate his perceptions. It's one of the reasons his walls of text seem to start at New York City and wind up at Timbuktu.

Additionally, he appears to kind of wake up with a new frame of mind every day, like the sociotype.com description of IEEs trying out different lifestyles, going back to the IEE proclivity for novelty and potential.
    Evolutionary cognitive styles expand and unfold. Involutionary styles compact and distill.

Bertrand is obviously the former.

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yep. He needs SLI to press Return key for him at least once in a while.
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@Avebury have you considered EIE? Just wondering.
    It was my self-typing for some time.

I now think it's wrong, however.

Why do you suggest it?

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

He always struck me as Holographic Panoramic. He makes a generous amount of comparisons to illustrate his perceptions. It's one of the reasons his walls of text seem to start at New York City and wind up at Timbuktu. Ie. he sees how disparate ideas have similar qualities because he perceives those qualities from numerous angles.

Also, his writing style shows a preference for a linear/sequential/serial mode of thought. If you don't read everything he says in order, you can't get him. Or at least, I can't lol.

Read James Joyce and read Bertrand. It's the same dynamic.

We sometimes have a complementary exchange on the forum where I tend to find clearer ways of saying what he wants to communicate. I tend to boil it down for others. Sometimes, others don't get me because I can't expand. He does that for me. It's a mutually beneficial arrangement when it happens.

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Evolutionary cognitive styles expand and unfold. Involutionary styles compact and distill.

Bertrand is obviously the former.
    I understand it's hard to believe, but I'm pretty sure he flies all over the place in order distill his supposedly immense profundity for us lowly, impoverished, uneducated peasants to digest. After all, how else would we be able to wrap our feeble minds around the apex of intellect that is Bertrand?

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Avebury View Post
    It was my self-typing for some time.

I now think it's wrong, however.

Why do you suggest it?
    Your thoughts seem very Dialectical Algorithmic.

Also, since Betas tend to have more of a "punching up" quality, in terms of power dynamics. Which I think you have. In contrast, LIEs "punch down" more because they try to maintain their foothold.

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I understand it's hard to believe, but I'm pretty sure he flies all over the place in order distill his supposedly immense profundity for us lowly, impoverished, uneducated peasants to digest. After all, how else would we be able to wrap our feeble minds around the apex of intellect that is Bertrand?
    Lol. Read James Joyce (EIE). It does jump all over the place (stream of consciousness), but it's still serialized thought and you don't get it unless you follow the stream. It's because the essential mode of thought there is sequential transformation.

HP cognition is more point-blank and comes in discrete self-contained packets without continuity between parts.

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol. Read James Joyce (EIE). It does jump all over the place (stream of consciousness), but it's still serialized thought and you don't get it unless you follow the stream. It's because the essential mode of thought there is sequential transformation.

HP cognition is more point-blank and comes in discrete self-contained packets without continuity between parts.
    It's serialized because that's how he distills the points he tries to make. He uses isomorphisms to illustrate general principles between things that seem different at face value, but are not opposites. Analogies connected to prior knowledge.

If he was EIE (DA), on the other hand, his thoughts would involve complete and total opposites, emerging as an unexpected synthesis.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Your thoughts seem very Dialectical Algorithmic.

Also, since Betas tend to have more of a "punching up" quality, in terms of power dynamics. Which I think you have. In contrast, LIEs "punch down" more because they try to maintain their foothold.
    Interesting, I was always wondering what cognitive style I had. I cannot tell from reading the descriptions and comparing them with some piece of text I wrote in the past - so it really helps to know what people think.

If you don't mind, could you perhaps explain why my thoughts seem DA to you? Maybe with an example?

What do you mean by "punching up" vs "punching down"?
    Last edited by WVBRY; 10-02-2018 at 09:32 AM.

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting, I was always wondering what cognitive style I had. I cannot tell from reading the descriptions and comparing them with some piece of text I wrote in the past - so it really helps to know what people think.

If you don't mind, could you perhaps give an explain why my thoughts seem DA to you? Maybe with an example?

What do you mean by "punching up" vs "punching down"?
    I never knew socionics had an interpretation of history...

In any case, I agree with @Bertrand that history was never meant to be about just repeating facts in a literal sense, it's about narrative, since history is always written by the victors. That isn't to say the facts in history books are wrong, they aeren't, just that there is more to history than stating facts, it's really about their interpretation.

So any scientific interpretation of historical events or phases of history will also convey a certain narrative and certain values.

Again, I repeat: it is those that swear only by science that seem the most influenced by religion and philosophy, especially when it comes to moral or ethical questions...
    I mean, I think it depends on whether you arrived at this conclusion yourself, but I see this kind of thinking a lot with EIEs and ILIs. The way a conclusion drawn from a combination of opposites. Generally, you have a point, then a counterpoint, then you arrive at a new understanding.

I don't want to go through your post history here or rifle around more than this. I'll just give you another example and see if it sticks. By CS Luis:

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

Notice the negativism in how he sees the terms used by critics. Like any negativist, he takes a pre-existing system of thought, and rather than building on it, he breaks it down. Then, he builds a new system from the merged parts of the old. Trent Reznor also employs a lot of this kind of thinking, which you can hear in his lyrics. He mentions breaking things down into pieces and reassembling them into systems of greater complexity. He also refers to karmic themes that are built on the same kind of thinking in "Head Like A Hole" and other songs.

Re: "punching up", well the proof here is fuzzier, but I get the impression that you have libertarian leanings because you dislike excessive/abusive authority. So you have an attitude of resisting preexisting structures of power with your own force, in contrast with gammas, who typically aim to preserve their power. If libertarianism belonged to any quadra, it would probably be Beta, just by virtue of the rebellious "teenage" aspects of it.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I mean, I think it depends on whether you arrived at this conclusion yourself, but I see this kind of thinking a lot with EIEs and ILIs. The way a conclusion drawn from a combination of opposites. Generally, you have a point, then a counterpoint, then you arrive at a new understanding.

I don't want to go through your post history here or rifle around more than this. I'll just give you another example and see if it sticks. By CS Luis:

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

Notice the negativism in how he sees the terms used by critics. Like any negativist, he takes a pre-existing system of thought, and rather than building on it, he breaks it down. Then, he builds a new system from the merged parts of the old. Trent Reznor also employs a lot of this kind of thinking, which you can hear in his lyrics. He mentions breaking things down into pieces and reassembling them into systems of greater complexity. He also refers to karmic themes that are built on the same kind of thinking in "Head Like A Hole" and other songs.

Re: "punching up", well the proof here is fuzzier, but I get the impression that you have libertarian leanings because you dislike excessive/abusive authority. So you have an attitude of resisting preexisting structures of power with your own force, in contrast with gammas, who typically aim to preserve their power. If libertarianism belonged to any quadra, it would probably be Beta, just by virtue of the rebellious "teenage" aspects of it.
    That's very interesting, thanks!

Yeah, I did come to that conclusion myself, it's not a line I lifted off something I read lol. It's interesting to have this kind of feedback wrt to my cognitive style.

I rejected beta and EIE for my type after people analyzed my questionnaire on the socionics section of perC (a couple years ago, yes, there are alot of n00bs on perC but also some people who know their stuff). They said I was clearly democratic. I didn't believe them at first, but Entropic (dunno if anyone knows him) pretty much "proved"(for lack of a better word) to me that the way I view people is not based on their "role" in a group or society. Rather, and this is me saying it, not anyone else - I'm pretty "flexible" when it comes to how I see people, people can belong in one group and do something that contradicts said group and also belong to another group. Note that at first I wasn't convinced of being a democratic type.

For example, a college teacher sleeping with a student is not likely to bother me (assuming they are both adults and consenting) because that's all there is to it - the "role" of the college professor isn't something I see as sacred. An aristocrat might say it gives a bad image and a "teacher shouldn't do that" even if they are both happy and not breaking any laws. This might not be the best example of what I mean, since it might interfere with the professor's neutrality in grading the student, but if the student is no longer a student - it's a former teacher they had - than I really see nothing wrong with it.

Another thing I should not is that I'm pretty sure of being valuing, especially since my experience in groups of alphas is general discomfort. Sol doesn't believe me, but I have some experience with groups where the majority of the members, or the more prominent members are alphas and their constant cheeriness gets on my nerves. I am aware that beta is not the same in terms of group of atmosphere, there is less of a focus on being constantly positive.

Wrt to politics, yes I lean libertarian though I don't see political ideologies as type related in themselves. Here is an excellent post on this topic by Expat. http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...l=1#post542525

As he says, alpha and beta are more likely to want to replace the system with anew one and thus have a "revolutionary" outlook, gamma/delta are more likely to want to work with existing systems for reform, rather than revolution.

I don't have a revolutionary outlook on politics, I believe revolution to be something of a last resort, if true oppression comes to be. However, I am aware things would have to come to a truly sorry state before I would even consider such a thing, lol.

That said, since you think I am DA cognition I am going to seriously consider ILI and even give EIE another look. I'm currently taking Sol's IR test right now, it takes a while but I will post the results when I'm through.

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's very interesting, thanks!
    NP.

Wrt to politics, yes I lean libertarian though I don't see political ideologies as type related in themselves. Here is an excellent post on this topic by Expat. http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...l=1#post542525
    Your politics were the best demonstration of a general feeling of "resistance" I get from you. But yes, I agree that there's no 1:1 relationship between political beliefs and type.

Re: your attitude about revolution. That's interesting, I learn something new every day.

I should add that, if this exchange demonstrates anything, it's that you have more mildness than gamma NTs. With them, almost everything takes on businesslike elements, and even casual discussions can seem like an exercise in strategy. They put in quite a bit of effort to cover for their vulnerabilities (it wouldn't surprise me if one jumped on this conversation just to muddy the waters about this), but you seem pretty candid and vulnerable.

Just my 2.

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Not IEE at all

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aki View Post
    Not IEE at all
    What do you think he is?

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's serialized because that's how he distills the points he tries to make. He uses isomorphisms to illustrate general principles between things that seem different at face value, but are not opposites. Analogies connected to prior knowledge.

If he was EIE (DA), on the other hand, his thoughts would involve complete and total opposites, emerging as an unexpected synthesis.
    I think you're just mincing words to try to squeeze him into that category lol.

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you're just mincing words to try to squeeze him into that category lol.
    I'm not. Just speaking from experience with LIIs.

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is Bertrand considered to be ethical type? I have seen him being quite rude and impolate around the forum showing lack of emotional intelligence rather than its strength. But maybe that's just my limited experience with him and he has actually showed the softer side of his persona. I'd type him SLI to be honest.