Thread: The Persona Series

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Persona Series

Video games fyi. Still, they've got like the most Jungian/enneagramic/socionic characters ever. For serious. Basically the games revolve around a group of characters out to save the world from falling apart in a way that involves dealing with personal crises of identity and self-awareness. The journey has as much to do with realizing things about themselves and overcoming them than just getting over this or that obstacle. It's like some incredibly trippy and cosmic reconciliation of who they are with how they live their lives, of recognizing the roles they play and the things they don't dare admit to themselves. I don't know who writes this shit, but they must be a fucking genius.

Persona 4 I think the main character's friends are a seriously 7 enneagram and a whatever type tends to unhealthily rely on others to depend on them to derive a sense of self worth (I don't know enough to say for sure, but they seem to be ESFx, maybe?). The characters are so well written it makes my heart melt. This stuff would seriously be awesome material to type. Oh my god, it's so addictive.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

btw there's no way any of you know what I'm talking about. I was just like, "Oh snap!" and had to tell the world.

TIM
    ??
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Video games fyi. Still, they've got like the most Jungian/enneagramic/socionic characters ever. For serious. Basically the games revolve around a group of characters out to save the world from falling apart in a way that involves dealing with personal crises of identity and self-awareness. The journey has as much to do with realizing things about themselves and overcoming them than just getting over this or that obstacle. It's like some incredibly trippy and cosmic reconciliation of who they are with how they live their lives, of recognizing the roles they play and the things they don't dare admit to themselves. I don't know who writes this shit, but they must be a fucking genius.

Persona 4 I think the main character's friends are a seriously 7 enneagram and a whatever type tends to unhealthily rely on others to depend on them to derive a sense of self worth (I don't know enough to say for sure, but they seem to be ESFx, maybe?). The characters are so well written it makes my heart melt. This stuff would seriously be awesome material to type. Oh my god, it's so addictive.
    GO JIRAYIA

If no one else tries, Ill take a shot @ typing. I also encourage everyone to try it, Im playing the 4th and it is incredibly insightful/deep. In the game, in order to save other people, they must save themselves first. Its definitely not your typical rpg.
    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thePirate View Post
    GO JIRAYIA

If no one else tries, Ill take a shot @ typing. I also encourage everyone to try it, Im playing the 4th and it is incredibly insightful/deep. In the game, in order to save other people, they must save themselves first. Its definitely not your typical rpg.
    haha, yeah, yosuke's my favorite character so far. Even in 3, I liked the magician arcana guy too. They seem to come off as Ne-dominant, maybe?

TIM
    ??
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yosuke - enfp?

<3
    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I love shit like that mune. =)

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    I love shit like that mune. =)
    You like awesome stuff, therefore, you are awesome.

FACT.

ALSO

Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thePirate View Post
    Yosuke - enfp?

<3
    IxE fo sho I think. He tries to be the logical one out of the bunch, but he obsesses over the girl he liked a lot that died. Damn awesome character.

Others:

Naoto: INTx? Maybe even ISTp, but less likely.
    Chie: ESFx. Naoto and Chie not being duals I think. They don't seem to conflict but they are just on totally different levels.
    Yukiko: IEI? maybe ILI.
    Kanji: SLE?
    Rise: SEI
    Teddy: SEI
    Ryotaro: LSE or SLE?
    Nanako: SEI/EII
    Ayane: EII
    Fox: ILI LOL JK

Persona 3:
    Mitsuru Kirijo: LSx
    Akihiko: LSE but annoyingly "I must train to get better!"
    Junpei: hard core ESE, fan fave
    Shinjiro: SLE maybe
    Fuuka: Ni dominant
    Yukari: Alpha SF?
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You always remind me about these games...when I get a job and actually have some money to spend, I must have them.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love these games so much! Everyone should play them!

Persona 3:
    Yukari: SeFi
    Mitsuru <3: TiSe
    Akihiko <3: TeNi
    Junpei <3: FeSi
    Fuuka: NiFe
    Ken: TiNe? Doesn't really have a personality.
    Shinjoro: SeTi

Persona 4:
    Yosuke: NeTi
    Chie <3: FeSi
    Yukiko: NiFe
    Teddy: FeNi
    Kanji <3: FiSe
    Rise: NeFi
    Naoto <3: NiTe
    Ryotaro <3: TeSi I had a video game crush on him
    Nanako: FiNe

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're right some of those sound better for typings. WTG! And Gilly I'll punch you in the balls before you die if you never play these.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Yu: Ni-LIE (Gleaned from conversation choices. Ni insight and interpretation show in Persona 4 Arena monologues, contrasted with Rise's purely sensory observations that contain no context or insight, just observation of physical happenings.)
    Yosuke: Ne-ILE
    Chie: Fe-ESE
    Yukiko:
    Ne-EII
    Kanji: Se-ESI
    Rise: Fi-SEE
    Naoto: Ti-LII
    Teddie: Fe-ESE

Dojima:
    Si-LSE
    Adachi: Ni-ILI
    Nanako: Fi-EII
    Margaret: Fi-ESI
    Last edited by Narc; 04-04-2020 at 11:34 AM.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been playing Persona 4 a lot because I have nothing better to do at this odd point in my life.

Yu/Protagonist: EIE-Ni 3w2 (LIE also possible but he has a dependence on relations with others)
    Yosuke: ILE-Ne 7w6
    Chie: ESE-Fe 2w1
    Yukiko: EII-Ne 9w1
    Kanji: ESI-Se 6w7
    Rise: SEE-Se 3w2
    Naoto: LSI-Ti 5w4 (too focused and harsh to be LII)
    Teddie: ESE-Fe 2w3 (maybe IEE)
    Dojima: LSE-Si 1w9
    Adachi: ILI-Te 6w5
    Nanako: EII-Fi 9w1
    Last edited by Dauphin; 08-15-2019 at 07:51 PM. Reason: changed a few typings

TIM
    ILe-nE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carolus View Post
    I've been playing Persona 4 a lot because I have nothing better to do at this odd point in my life.

Yu/Protagonist: EIE-Ni 3w2 (LIE also possible but he has a dependence on relations with others)
    Yosuke: IEE-Ne 7w6 (ILE also possible)
    Chie: ESE-Fe 2w1
    Yukiko: IEI-Fe 9w1
    Kanji: ESI-Se 6w7
    Rise: SEE-Se 3w2
    Naoto: LSI-Ti 5w4 (too focused and harsh to be LII)
    Teddie: EIE-Fe 2w3
    Dojima: LSE-Si 1w9
    Adachi: ILE-Ne 6w5
    Nanako: EII-Fi 9w1
    kanji is EP-Se
    Dojima SLI
    Teddie SEI
    Yukio EII (or she using EII mask? i dont remember :/ )

i haven't play Persona 5. only 3 and 4

ow yeah Igor ILI

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ok but what type is Marie tho

she was so obnoxious

Mentioned
    351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Persona 3

Male MC (Minato): ILI
    Female MC (Minako): SEE

SEES:
    Aigis: LSI
    Akihiko: SLE
    Fuuka: IEI
    Junpei: SEE
    Mitsuru: LSI
    Shinjiro: ESI
    Yukari: ESI

Strega:
    Chidori: ILI
    Jin: LSI
    Takaya: EIE

Other:
    Akinari: IEI
    Edogawa: ILI
    Elizabeth: LII
    Hidetoshi: LSI
    Ikutski: EIE
    Kazushi: SLE
    Keisuke: ESE
    Kenji: fuck kenji
    Natsuki: SLE
    Officer Kurosawa: LSI
    President Tanaka: LIE
    Rio: LSE
    Ryoji: IEI
    Saori: EII
    Theodore: EIE
    Last edited by hag; 02-22-2020 at 07:52 AM. Reason: updated

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if I want to play a 100hr JRPG, that's quite a hefty investment of time, but munenori makes it sound so worthwhile...

Question: I have Persona 5, have nay of you played it and is it as good as 3 or 4? If I sink 100hrs of my life into one of these games I want it to be the right one, lol.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nickelslick View Post
    Question: I have Persona 5, have nay of you played it and is it as good as 3 or 4?
    It's very good, better than 4.

Speaking of which, anyone want to give a shot at typing the P5 cast?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome! I'll play it.

TIM
    D-ESI-Se 1w2
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@hag already covered our typings of P3 characters after our playthrough. We're wrapping up P4 now, so I'll cover those here, and we can edit in others we've forgotten. We'll cover the main cast and likely add in Social Link NPCs at a later date.

In order of appearance:

Protagonist: EIE (The most conventional leader of the Persona series; galvanizing, supportive, transformative, and frankly rather posh. An overwhelming majority of his dialogue options convey him as an obvious F type. People saying otherwise need to replay the game)

Dojima: SLI (We tried seeing him in a 'laid back' LSE light, but that never stuck)

Nanako: EII-Fi (This becomes quite abundantly obvious as the story progresses, and her consistent hatred of conflict and imposition--fighting, interrogation, etc--is persistent throughout)

Yosuke: ILE (Obvious Ne base, obvious ILE, obvious Fi Vuln. The amount of time he unwittingly says socially graceless, heartless bullshit in this game is remarkable. Ignore previous posts, he's not IEE at all. The amount of times his Fe HA gets denied becomes comical)

Chie: SEE (She's not an Fe base. Replay the game. She provides no 'care' for people, outside of physically training to become stronger so she can protect her friends and wimpy geeks in her social link scenes, and she's not the least bit intuitive. She's a gossipy chick--who's afraid she's too Boyish. read: Se--who likes kung fu movies, fighting things, and training to fight more things. She's like if Sanada and Junpei had a gene-spliced cousin or sister. While we're at it, anyone typing Junpei ESE also needs to replay P3)

Yukiko: ESI-Fi (there's nothing intuitive or abstract about her. She's also the biggest prude in the game, regularly slaps people for being too suggestive and never feels bad about it--read:not Se Vuln--and her social link is a pretty cut-and-dry 'complex of the tied hands')

Adachi: IEE - Not sure how people are getting Yosuke and Adachi backwards. Granted, many of You might be typing in retrospect, but Hag and I just played P4 as of writing this. Yosuke is generally a smart dude, but he regularly offends people with social gracelessness, is a clumsy idiot at managing his relations, and seems to have a terrible grasp over what's offensive. His Fe HA seems blatantly obvious (to the viewer) in a variety of scenes. On the other hand, Adachi is a natural at reassuring people, and gets carried away in his small talk and rambling, to the point that Dojima scolds him. Adachi's scenes with Nanako are fairly telling, and Adachi not once until the end of the story even offends anybody, he just kinda pesters people with how much of a hapless, friendly chatterbox he is. His expression and thought processes are far messier than Yosuke as well. Even Adachi's reasoning for killing people is largely ExxP sociopathy, nor did he have the stomach to actually kill people directly, as he literally vomits after seeing the corpse of his first victim. I won't discuss the finer details of the 'true ending', but I don't buy Adachi was literally acting like a completely different personality (something I think only the finest actors are actually capable of), I think he was just accentuating elements of his character to play dumb/feign innocence.

Teddie: Teddie is not a type. Teddie is whatever the butt of a joke, or the terrible attempts at family-friendly, cringey humor requires of him. Teddie is the worst mascot in this series by many country miles and he is not a realistic personality type.

Kanji: SLE-Se (On one hand this is the most obvious typing there is, yet on another this game was determined to satirize Kanji into the ground. They made him so kind and gentle in some ways he comes off as ESI-Se at times, yet make him a blunt, moronic punk. They don't even allow him to appear intelligent most of the time. Kanji is my favorite character in the game and I despise how they handled him. It came off like Ne valuers representing what they thought Se lead was supposed to be like. See also: Divinity Original Sin 2)

Rise: SEI-Fe (I don't have much to say on this. We both thought it was abundantly obvious. Risette, her false starlette self, is probably intended to be SEE, but Rise the person is not)

Naoto: LSI-Ti (The most hilariously IxxJ character in the game, to a near comical extent. Much too blunt, cagey, and, at times, straight up savage to be LII, and much too concerned with and sensitive over having purpose, meaning, direction in life, etc. Her interactions with Yosuke, how he steps on her, and how poorly they gel further solidifies they are not both Alpha NT. Obvious captain deduction Ti base, who regularly, knowingly puts their own life in danger in their devotion to solving a case)

Namatame and Kubo are both ILI. The latter has lost most of his humanity and fallen into solipsistic nihilism, and the former is struggling to hold on to his humanity. Namatame is far less of a caricature than Kubo, thankfully. Namatame, failed man and husband that he absolutely is, at least still tries to be a good person. ILIs took the L in P4, compared to Chidori in P3, who is initially some ostensibly absurd trope, and yet catalyzes arguably the most significant plot point and transformative character progression in that game.
    Last edited by Memento Mori; 08-24-2019 at 11:42 PM.
    "We live in an age in which there is no heroic death."

Model A: ESI-Se -
    DCNH: Dominant

Enneagram: 1w2, 2w1, 6w7
    Instinctual Variant: Sx/So

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luminous Lynx View Post
    @hag already covered our typings of P3 characters after our playthrough. We're wrapping up P4 now, so I'll cover those here, and we can edit in others we've forgotten. We'll cover the main cast and likely add in Social Link NPCs at a later date.

In order of appearance:

Protagonist: EIE (The most conventional leader of the Persona series; galvanizing, supportive, transformative, and frankly rather posh. An overwhelming majority of his dialogue options convey him as an obvious F type. People saying otherwise need to replay the game)

Dojima: SLI (We tried seeing him in a 'laid back' LSE light, but that never stuck)

Nanako: EII-Fi (This becomes quite abundantly obvious as the story progresses, and her consistent hatred of conflict and imposition--fighting, interrogation, etc--is persistent throughout)

Yosuke: ILE (Obvious Ne base, obvious ILE, obvious Fi Vuln. The amount of time he unwittingly says socially graceless, heartless bullshit in this game is remarkable. Ignore previous posts, he's not IEE at all. The amount of times his Fe HA gets denied becomes comical)

Chie: SEE (She's not an Fe base. Replay the game. She provides no 'care' for people, outside of physically training to become stronger so she can protect her friends and wimpy geeks in her social link scenes, and she's not the least bit intuitive. She's a gossipy chick--who's afraid she's too Boyish. read: Se--who likes kung fu movies, fighting things, and training to fight more things. She's like if Sanada and Junpei had a gene-spliced cousin or sister. While we're at it, anyone typing Junpei ESE also needs to replay P3)

Yukiko: ESI-Fi (there's nothing intuitive or abstract about her. She's also the biggest prude in the game, regularly slaps people for being too suggestive and never feels bad about it--read:not Se Vuln--and her social link is a pretty cut-and-dry 'complex of the tied hands')

Adachi: IEE - Not sure how people are getting Yosuke and Adachi backwards. Granted, many of You might be typing in retrospect, but Hag and I just played P4 as of writing this. Yosuke is generally a smart dude, but he regularly offends people with social gracelessness, is a clumsy idiot at managing his relations, and seems to have a terrible grasp over what's offensive. His Fe HA seems blatantly obvious (to the viewer) in a variety of scenes. On the other hand, Adachi is a natural at reassuring people, and gets carried away in his small talk and rambling, to the point that Dojima scolds him. Adachi's scenes with Nanako are fairly telling, and Adachi not once until the end of the story even offends anybody, he just kinda pesters people with how much of a hapless, friendly chatterbox he is. His expression and thought processes are far messier than Yosuke as well. Even Adachi's reasoning for killing people is largely ExxP sociopathy, nor did he have the stomach to actually kill people directly, as he literally vomits after seeing the corpse of his first victim. I won't discuss the finer details of the 'true ending', but I don't buy Adachi was literally acting like a completely different personality (something I think only the finest actors are actually capable of), I think he was just accentuating elements of his character to play dumb/feign innocence.

Teddie: Teddie is not a type. Teddie is whatever the butt of a joke, or the terrible attempts at family-friendly, cringey humor requires of him. Teddie is the worst mascot in this series by many country miles and he is not a realistic personality type.

Kanji: SLE-Se (On one hand this is the most obvious typing there is, yet on another this game was determined to satirize Kanji into the ground. They made him so kind and gentle in some ways he comes off as ESI-Se at times, yet make him a blunt, moronic punk. They don't even allow him to appear intelligent most of the time. Kanji is my favorite character in the game and I despise how they handled him. It came off like Ne valuers representing what they thought Se lead was supposed to be like. See also: Divinity Original Sin 2)

Rise: SEI-Fe (I don't have much to say on this. We both thought it was abundantly obvious. Risette, her false starlette self, is probably intended to be SEE, but Rise the person is not)

Naoto: LSI-Ti (The most hilariously IxxJ character in the game, to a near comical extent. Much too blunt, cagey, and, at times, straight up savage to be LII, and much too concerned with and sensitive over having purpose, meaning, direction in life, etc. Her interactions with Yosuke, how he steps on her, and how poorly they gel further solidifies they are not both Alpha NT. Obvious captain deduction Ti base, who regularly, knowingly puts their own life in danger in their devotion to solving a case)

Namatame and Kubo are both ILI. The latter has lost most of his humanity and fallen into solipsistic nihilism, and the former is struggling to hold on to his humanity. Namatame is far less of a caricature than Kubo, thankfully. Namatame, failed man and husband that he absolutely is, at least still tries to be a good person. ILIs took the L in P4, compared to Chidori in P3, who is initially some ostensibly absurd trope, and yet catalyzes arguably the most significant plot point and transformative character progression in that game.
    I sense you preferred P3. I went in the opposite direction from you two, as I started with P4 and went backwards to P3 (which I'm currently in November). So far Akihiko, Shinjiro, Ryoji, and Koromaru (obv) are favorites.

Dojima is clearly a Delta ST. Ulitmately I typed him as LSE vs SLI due to his tendency to overwork himself at the expense of family time and his horribly backfiring attempts to protect Yu and Nanako.
    I disagree on Kanji's type. Him actually being a nice guy who enjoys caring for and helping people but being too frightened to show it is more consistent with ESI than SLE. His characterization may be inconsistent, but the more important parts point towards ESI.
    Your argument for Adachi being IEE is rather good, though I can't quite say that any type fits him perfectly. He's definitely more anhedonic and misanthropic than the usual IEE.
    Re: Yukiko, Chie and Rise I'll have to play the game again. None of them are particularly interesting to me, though I'm not antipathetic towards them. You're probably right about Yukiko, but I have more doubts about Chie and Rise.
    And I liked Teddie.

TIM
    D-ESI-Se 1w2
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carolus View Post
    I sense you preferred P3. I went in the opposite direction from you two, as I started with P4 and went backwards to P3 (which I'm currently in November). So far Akihiko, Shinjiro, Ryoji, and Koromaru (obv) are favorites.

Dojima is clearly a Delta ST. Ulitmately I typed him as LSE vs SLI due to his tendency to overwork himself at the expense of family time and his horribly backfiring attempts to protect Yu and Nanako.
    I disagree on Kanji's type. Him actually being a nice guy who enjoys caring for and helping people but being too frightened to show it is more consistent with ESI than SLE. His characterization may be inconsistent, but the more important parts point towards ESI.
    Your argument for Adachi being IEE is rather good, though I can't quite say that any type fits him perfectly. He's definitely more anhedonic and misanthropic than the usual IEE.
    Re: Yukiko, Chie and Rise I'll have to play the game again. None of them are particularly interesting to me, though I'm not antipathetic towards them. You're probably right about Yukiko, but I have more doubts about Chie and Rise.
    And I liked Teddie.
    We played the undubbed (Japanese audio) version. Neither of us could stomach Teddie. The Japanese voice acting was extremely grating and his humor was obnoxious af lol. Teddie is the mascot character tho so w/e, Anime tends to have hard-to-stomach humor. I won't protest Adachi is a deeply unhealthy person, and I'm fine with his type being withheld. Kanji I actually started out thinking ESI-Se, we both did. It was his social link, the last few tiers, where he started saying a bunch of stuff that sounded Fi vuln to us that we started reconsidering, and the trope they were intent on fitting him into (aggro punk guy). Shinjiro is more of an obvious ESI-Se to us. Hag played the PSP version so it was the female protag, wherein You get a social link for Shinjiro where his personality really gets fleshed out alot more. In any event, Kanji as ESI-Se should've been written better, but I'd be happy to see him in that light. Regardless, he's our fave character. Finally, yeah, Dojima could be a chill LSE. I have no strong opinion about his typing, frankly. The way he portrays himself as loose and informal for the first quarter of the plot seemed more SLI, but I have no idea how relaxed LSEs can get.

Glad to hear You're playing P3!
    Last edited by Memento Mori; 08-25-2019 at 04:33 AM.
    "We live in an age in which there is no heroic death."

Model A: ESI-Se -
    DCNH: Dominant

Enneagram: 1w2, 2w1, 6w7
    Instinctual Variant: Sx/So

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luminous Lynx View Post
    Kanji I actually started out thinking ESI-Se, we both did. It was his social link, the last few tiers, where he started saying a bunch of stuff that sounded Fi vuln to us that we started reconsidering, and the trope they were intent on fitting him into (aggro punk guy).
    That could make the difference. I haven't maxed Kanji's social link yet because I went in blind for my first playthrough (to poor results) and in my second playthrough I was too focused on not letting my chance to romance the cute LSI detective girl pass again.
    Either way, I deliberately limit my interaction with anything weebish, so it's perfectly possible that writing tropes and Japanese cultural elements present in the game have gone over my head, causing me to slightly misinterpret the characters.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose I'll try my hand at P3 now that I beat the main part of the game

Male Protag: ILI-Ni 9w8
    Junpei: SEE-Fi 7w6
    Yukari: ESI-Fi 6w7
    Mitsuru: LSI-Se 1w2 or 3w4
    Akihiko: SLE-Ti 3w4 or 8w9