Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for gaining weight

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Healthy weight gain? If you're already healthy, it's probably not going to happen, sorry. Stay hydrated and eat more foods high in healthy fats to take in more calories maybe. You've probably lost quite a bit of weight through water loss if you've been working out.

A few of the suggestions made by other forum members are going to backfire. Having more protein will regulate insulin levels and keep your appetite under control, and so will most fats. Putting on muscle mass is going to speed up your metabolism, and you won't bulk up like a guy. Worry about your health, not your weight please.

You could always mess with certain hormones by skipping breakfast in favour of coca-cola, and eating greasier foods for dinner and munch more cookies and noodles, but that will get your from skinny with high metablosim to tired fat slob in no time.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I am smart.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

He's starting to take you a bit for granted, time to make him work for it.

Quote Originally Posted by octo View Post
    when the manufacturer saw that, didn't they think of maybe reducing the amount of salt a tad???
    why

btw,noone's still given the ultimate solution:
    1)hit head
    2)SF down
    3)feed SF sugar and salt into liquid form
    4)repeat as many times as needed
    5)profit

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i'm worried about you Starfall. remember that you are strong & you can handle this

Creepy-bg

starfall would look cute with a pot belly.

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nickelslick View Post
    You could always mess with certain hormones by skipping breakfast in favour of coca-cola, and eating greasier foods for dinner and munch more cookies and noodles, but that will get your from skinny with high metablosim to tired fat slob in no time.
    You just described my diet.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't eat when I'm stressed and end up losing way too much weight, it becomes physically hard to eat, with adreline pumping, so I have to wait to calm down to eat. or I'll pick out something I always love, like baked mac and cheese. And I drank a crap ton of chocolate Ensure (which has a lot of sugar in it).

You definitly don't need the extra pressure... You'll get there. hope you feel better.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

End of the road
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Instant Noodle =/= problem, but = solution to bland tasting food you eat everyday. I know it's bad but hey poison always tastes the best.

@WorkaholicsAnon. Originally Ramen came from China. Japanese Ramen is Japan's own variation on the Chinese wheat noodles (which is La-Mein meaning "pulled noodles"). You see the difference there? La-Mein and Ramen. In Korea it's pronouncned "Ram yun". Tbh i don't think there's much of a difference in the ramen other than the taste and the thickness of the noodle.

There's not much to recommend on Ramyun because it can be made just as good at home. But one noodle dish that i do recommend would be Jajangmyeon. (Basically noodles with black bean sauce on top). Go to any random Korean noodle shop and you'll find it. My SLI friend ventured downtown with the sole purpose of finding good korean food, and he recommends this. If it's good food, SLI's will definitely know where to find it. Listen to your duals advice!

Interesting Fact about Jajangmyeon. It's famous in Korea particular on Valentines day. However Valentines day here in NA and in South Korea is very different, it's duration is longer and Koreans take it very seriously, Feb 14 is when women give chocolates to their guy, March 14th is "White Day" where the males return the favor with gifts, and then April 14th is called "Black Day" which connotes obviously Bad Tings. Every one who has suffered through Valentines Day as a single has to sulk and eat Jajangmyeon in restaurants. The existence of Jajangmyeon is like a haven for sad people to cheer them up (because Jajanmyeon tastes good ).
    Beta NF - E-(6w5), 9w1, 4w5 sp/sx

End of the road
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    Love that stuff I always make sure to stock up on it.

You can probably tell that I grew up with Koreans.
    Ohhhhh dammm you did? So did you grow up with starcraft too? Hahahaha, I have only recently started getting interested in Korean culture like a year ago. I like it when it's in NA but in Korea the customs are so strict and people who glare and stare at you aren't considered rude- but they think you're rude by dressing that way or looking that way. It's like your presence puts their people to shame, it's so disrespectful!
    Beta NF - E-(6w5), 9w1, 4w5 sp/sx

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Korean food is Beta food! the flavors are so bold and in-your-face.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Of course, you could always. . .

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pistachios are a good one, they taste good and I think nuts have a high fat content in addition to the protein. It's like good fat or something which is why people tell you to eat them, still fat though.

My teacher in HS told me they played a prank on his college roommate by hiding a candy bar in his sock drawer every day. I guess that's the only diet change he experienced and he gained around 15 pounds by the end of the year lol
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    Pistachios are a good one, they taste good and I think nuts have a high fat content in addition to the protein. It's like good fat or something which is why people tell you to eat them, still fat though.
    We always have pistachios around here. I pack them in the girls' lunches. yum.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    We always have pistachios around here. I pack them in the girls' lunches. yum.
    Completely agree, probably the most delicious of the nuts. I mean they make sunflower seed-butter, why can't they make pistachio butter? Don't get me wrong peanut butter is the shit, I could live off crunchy jiff but some variety wouldn't be anything I'd turn up my nose at.
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I know a few more tricks. Most aren't too healthy though.

Trans fats. Lots of 'em.

Only eat one meal a day, make it huge, and make it very late in the day, as close to before bed as you can. It sort of tricks your body into thinking it's starving for most of the day so it starts storing fat to make up for the food your not putting into it. Your body may adapt to the routine fairly quickly though, and it varies in effectiveness from person to person.

When you eat dinner, don't put away the food after you get your portion, leave it out so it's easy to get seconds.

Get larger plates and fill them when you do eat, it might help trick your subconscious into thinking that you have to empty your plate, thereby eating even after your full

Don't grill your food, grilling is fairly healthy, cook in oil.

Anything Fried was probably cooked in oil that contains trans fats.

That's all I can think of at the moment. If all else fails there's always the super size me diet.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/63283/super-size-me

Or you could eat a large breakfast. That whole "eating breakfast jump starts your metabolism so you lose weight" thing is bull. I know this contradicts the eat late in the day thing, you just sorta gotta figure out what works for you. Maybe try eating a huge breakfast and then another huge meal right before bed.

Oh and I read someplace that sleeping on your stomach aids digestion, so don't do that I guess.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to get back to seeing what the Dooms Day Killer is up to on Dexter.

EDIT: Take everything anyone says on the topic of personal health and hygiene with a grain of salt though, even me. I can't think of an area of interest more mired in bullshit and misinformation. One year dusching is the best thing a lady can do for herself the next it's extremely unhealthy, one year hand sanitizers are a must the next they are killing too much bacteria. Hell it wasn't too long ago when everyone thought that Flax-seed was a miracle food so people went out and bought it by the pound and well just google flax seed overdose, the side effects are disgusting. No one is immune to the misinformation, even some of the stuff I wrote might be both untrue and extremely bad for you.

Just... be careful. Health advice can be very very wrong sometimes and the implications in some instances are... bad. To put it gently.

DOUBLE EDIT: You may actually have a slow metabolism. Recent studies are flipping the idea that skinny = fast metabolism on its head. I'm sure more studies will come out soon disproving those studies if they haven't already. Again, be careful. People in general don't know what the fuck their talking about in this area, even the people who do the studies.
    Last edited by JWC3; 05-20-2012 at 06:25 AM.
    Easy Day

Creepy-male

how to deal with the over-controlling jealous types

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OEXbaJHDkE

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    Where can I buy tapeworms?
    OMG don't even try this. Don't even.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also got rid of another problem in my life... I feel great.
    Stress can literally eat away at you.
    Easy Day

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

An SLE?

That's great, Starfall!
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you everyone for your tips. So far, I've managed to put on at least 5 pounds. I've also gained a bit of muscle in my stomach and legs

Basically, I've been eating 3 to 4 full meals a day (trying to make those meals as high in carbs as possible), drinking two bottles of weight gain ensure a day, and lifting heavy weights at least 3 times a week. I feel amazing & looks so much better!

I'm so proud of you!
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Thank you everyone for your tips. So far, I've managed to put on at least 5 pounds. I've also gained a bit of muscle in my stomach and legs

Basically, I've been eating 3 to 4 full meals a day (trying to make those meals as high in carbs as possible), drinking two bottles of weight gain ensure a day, and lifting heavy weights at least 3 times a week. I feel amazing & looks so much better!

I want to like your post again, but I can't, so I will reply.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    Don't load your body with junk food that's high in calories but has no nutritional value. Don't focus on gaining weight, focus on eating healthy food; healthy foods include low glycimic pasta/starches (these burn longer and keep you fuller but also have good fiber content).

Great dishes:

Whole wheat pasta with a dressing and roast a whole chicken shreds (roast a whole chicken and shred it, you can use the meat over time; freeze some of it in separate foils so you can take portions out as you need to use them). You can add any veggies to this to give it some more nutrition value (I always suggest partially cooked veggies because your bodies aren't good at breaking veggies down and cooking them a little helps a lot for digestion and absorption of these nutriants).

Brown rice (brown rice takes a long time to cook so you can soak a cup at a time overnight in water for faster cooking and you can always make extra and freeze it). You can make it with a little steak and side of blanched broccoli.

Spinach salad, with a little blue cheese, candied pecans, some of your shredded chicken, any veggie will do, you can fry up some bread with olive oil and garlic use as a crouton or pasta, raspberry dressing -

Grill fishes are great, just stay away from the ones that reek havoc on your digestive system like.
    This sounds like a great diet for weight loss to me.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am so happy to hear it worked!! And interesting that it was the increase in carbs that prompted the weight gain. Did you also increase fat intake? Just curious...

Yeah ensure is a good way to gain... i forgot about that. It's like liquidy ice cream.

Looks like i better cut out some more carbs in my diet if i want to lose lbs!
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome, have some pizza and beer to celebrate.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    Awesome, have some pizza and beer to celebrate.
    Pizza and beer make me gain weight every time! Great idea!

I love the evening ritual of making a little cheese tray with some crackers and fruit. Enjoy nibbling on cheese and drinking a glass of wine while you are fixing your dinner. Wine and cheese always make me gain weight. (Unwanted weight for me - how sad.)

Think of ways to make eating food fun and not a chore.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Awesomeness.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pix at the very least in bikini for proof
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

good stuff,starfall.i'd definitely like to build mah bawday at some point even though a minus is the major wardrobe changes that could be needed afterwards.i guess muscles will be priceless during the Armageddon =/ damn what can one do in 2 months.

Creepy-pokeball

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer1 View Post
    good stuff,starfall.i'd definitely like to build mah bawday at some point even though a minus is the major wardrobe changes that could be needed afterwards.i guess muscles will be priceless during the Armageddon =/ damn what can one do in 2 months.
    I have 4 sets of clothes to span 160lbs to 240lbs, lol. Clothes are expensiveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee =(

nowadays i try to avoid buying clothes when i am in my lowest weight which is most of the time and when i do i make sure there is space for at least 10 lbs more and yeah low to moderately priced women's clothes are hard to come by over here.they are lyke toooo tight and stupid and tight.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae2point0 View Post
    I have 4 sets of clothes to span 160lbs to 240lbs, lol. Clothes are expensiveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee =(
    Your avatar
    -

Creepy-pokeball

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan View Post
    Your avatar
    Check out mah nose before it loses weight.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fireyed View Post
    It's not just me, though. He's constantly picking on all of his friends about their weight, workout habits & career choices. He's like a broken record..
    That is good, he is a healthy SLE; you should worry if he didn't.

Otherwise, as an advice for bringing some balance in your life: go somewhere into the wild, work and eat as your body tells you. The idea is just get a grip, you rationalize too much, you should get out of this nefarious loop.
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eat everything.

Food, your family, the furniture, rocks.

You'll gain weight eventually.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast