TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Question What Would You Pick?

Out of these, what's your choice?

(What's behind forgiveness is not readable, ends in -RE, maybe someone got an idea. Philosophically speaking, behind forgiveness is benevolence )

I pick strength.

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

At first sight, I went with Confidence.
    Sometimes I lack the confidence about my abilities or the merit of my dreams, etc.

But then I thought about it for a sec, and I might actually go for Love...

Love not only in a romantic sense, but also platonically, generally being loved by people, and being in love with nature, existence, moments, etc... All of that creates a much more satisfying life experience.

And a good side effect of Love is feeling more confident, too.
    Last edited by Olimpia; 09-01-2017 at 07:16 PM.
    New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

At first I thought peace. But then I thought I could probably use confidence more
    Although once you have obtained peace it doesn't matter if you're confident or not anymore hmmm

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    I pick strength.
    Could you go a bit more into detail as to why you pick strength?

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Forgiveness and faith. Those are the things I think I'm lacking that would improve my quality of life. And inspiration just because it would be nice to have a creative outlet.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Love, there's never enough love. Confidence and strenght are also important, but I don't think I exactly lack them.

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Confidence, then love, then freedom.

TIM
    RLOEI 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably confidence. I think if I had that I could obtain all of the other things listed I value, such as peace, healing, and love. I think taking faith would result in me trusting the wrong people and being hurt. I'm satisfied with my current level of forgiveness. Freedom can mean a few different things. I highly value freedom from say an authoritarian government, but I'd be fine with not having freedom in my personal life under certain circumstances. I'm not sure what strength means here. Having physical strength isn't important to me, and if it means mental strength I'm not sure how that differs from confidence. Perhaps strength is actual ability, whereas confidence is belief in ability? Also I don't need inspiration, I can already give myself that.
    Last edited by Attis; 07-14-2017 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Forgot inspiration

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At first I thought perhaps I would take the option of confidence or maybe healing as I would like a physical healing.
    However strength is what I need to get through each day with my sometimes lack of confidence and physical condition so I shall take that instead.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Could you go a bit more into detail as to why you pick strength?
    Thank you for asking. Need it for career, I want to find a vocation that I am happy with in the future. And mental health of course.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strength.

Once you have enough, you can make all the other things yourself, or wrest them out of others. Yes, that even includes love.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

healing

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    healing
    I was waiting for someone to pick that one.

*********** 21-04-19:

TIM
    ZGM
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Confidence.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Faith. No discussion. I'm too skeptical and, even though it can be seen as a good quality, I think it's not always that way. As an agnostic, I'm envious of truly religious people who strongly believe in God. Since I want to find the reason behind anything, I think I'm never going to believe in it. But I don't hope so.
    Quoting "Glorious", a Muse song, from a religious point of view (not political, as meant in the song itself):
    I need to believe, but I still want more. I'm trying to figure out what that "more" is.
    KEEP IT LIGHT AND KEEP IT MOVING

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inspiration ... You can cultivate others eventually .

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(What's behind forgiveness is not readable, ends in -RE, maybe someone got an idea. Philosophically speaking, behind forgiveness is benevolence )

I pick strength.
    The missing word looks like hope. I'll take freedom.

TIM
    IEE 379 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I would take "inspiration" or "love", probably the former - though it tends to come from the latter, so, maybe love.

Freedom and strength I have in abundance, while my hope and confidence I would say vary but are not in critical condition.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgiveness. Albeit I never want to forget, I want to be able to forgive those who have hurt me for my own sake. For my own peace of mind. So... I guess I pick healing, too. That's where I am at this point of my life.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Freedom

TIM
    SLI-H sp/so
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Peace

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would take forgiveness, inspiration, and confidence.

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The greatest is LOVE...

(Maybe its "HOPE" that is hidden there).
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    Forgiveness and faith. Those are the things I think I'm lacking that would improve my quality of life. And inspiration just because it would be nice to have a creative outlet.
    Faith is a gift - you can always ask for it, and God freely bestows that gift on all who ask. Like the man who said to Jesus, "Lord, I believe! Help thou my unbelief!". I used to think i had plenty of faith so I don't need to ask for more. However, lately, seeing some great examples of faith in action has made me realize that one can probably always need more, and therefore keep asking for more.

I also used to think forgiveness was never an issue for me - I rarely got stuck in unforgiveness, and I always moved myself out of it before long in the rare times it was harder. Then divorce, and betrayal, which hurt not only me but my son, and that made it hard to forgive. I just held onto the sense of injustice, and my resentment at hurt to my child who was now living a life of a broken home which I would have done anything to avoid. So now I realize that sometimes the trespass is more than you can manage to forgive, and that's when, like the drunk who just can't do it alone, we need to ask God for help, because with God all things are possible.

For me the help from God to forgive my ex (and his girlfriend) came when I realized I just could not stop resentment welling up every time I had to think of my ex (which is too often when you share some of the custody), and also as a Christian I am called to pray for my enemies and those who persecute us, but I was finding it impossible to pray for my ex - I just very strongly did not WANT to. So I went to Confession about those two problems and the priest said it was understandable in the circumstances, and asked me if, for my penance, I felt it were possible for me to pray 3 Hail Mary's for my ex every day. I said yes I could, and it turned out to be the best thing ever. I didn't have to pray thinking about my ex, whom I did not want in my mind, but I could just ask Mary to pray for him instead, with her perfect heart, instead of my faulty one. I could just focus on the beautiful heavenly words of those prayers, and know that Mary, A Full of Grace, the best advocate, with the most efficacious prayers, was praying for him, and I could truly not have given my "enemy" a greater gift of love in doing this. It was easy, and best of all, some months later, I was shocked to realize that the resentment I had carried so long had melted completely away without my realizing it, and it was actually possible now to think about and talk about my ex and feel none of that. Not much later, I began to pray the same prayers for the girlfriend when I realized I had not forgiven her, with the same result.

Sometimes the key to forgiveness is just that - giving a gift. I forgot where I originally heard that; I think it was some Amish story I read. But I had an issue with un-forgiveness of a colleague I worked with every day, and I wanted to get over it. And I remembered a forgiveness story - one is to do something in secret, to give a gift to the one you cannot forgive. So I planned one, telling no one, and it was to shovel her car out of the parking lot - where I taught we often had lake-effect snow from the Great Lake near us - and we could really get dumped on during a day at work, so I only had to wait for such a day, and since the students were all back at their regular teachers for the last 15 minutes, and I was student-free, when the next blizzard came I ran out and shoveled out her sports car (being careful with the finish!) and also shoveled a path to the car, just in time for a clean getaway, because she was usually the first one to the parking lot... My secret mission-accomplished delighted me and it seemed to heal me of unforgiveness immediately. But for good measure I decided to also dream up two genuine compliments (because I often thought negative thoughts about her) and I did "deliver" those when the opportunity came up. These things pretty much instantly wiped out the resentment and the negative thoughts, and "sealed" my determination to forgive. So it really works. And I felt so free to be resentment-free!

I hope that's helpful.

I am editing to add another thought. I remembered about the story (perhaps an Amish one?) that I heard that inspired me to do that act that was my catalyst for forgiving when I was able to will myself to forgive.. The Bible has many meaning of love, and in the scripture, "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you", love does not mean soft romantic fluffy feelings but charity, or, love in action. So, you don't have to "feel" loving towards your enemies or those who persecute you. That's why the "act" is a true obedience to scripture, and I have found, you cannot out-give God...
    Last edited by Eliza Thomason; 08-26-2017 at 02:18 AM. Reason: one more thought..
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    The greatest is LOVE...

Oh it certainly looks like it and my instincts are rarely wrong on these matters. Though I do find it kinda ironic that "forgiveness" overshadows hope given that if we were all more forgiving then it'd a LOT easier to have "hope" for the future.

Though as for me, if I could pick three of those I'd go for Peace, Faith, and Freedom. The two former are required to keep the third from just degenerating into the worship of the prince of lies. He thrives off war and he deceives those whose faith in God is but a mere conditional conceit. The seeds cast upon the ground that could not allow them to develop a proper root system are at once uprooted at the first coming of a storm. I know I ought to study my bible enough to reference what I'm getting at by book, chapter, and verse but fallen as I am as of this writing I can only grasp at the straw I know is there thanks to the efforts of my local priests. While I pray for the day that the Tridentine Mass is once more the standard of the one true faith... I can at least take solace in the fact that the priesthood is not yet fully converged with the SJW heretics that the current Pope is more than happy to embrace sadly. Communism, not even once if you TRULY believe in Jesus...

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by End View Post
    Oh it certainly looks like it and my instincts are rarely wrong on these matters. Though I do find it kinda ironic that "forgiveness" overshadows hope given that if we were all more forgiving then it'd a LOT easier to have "hope" for the future.

Though as for me, if I could pick three of those I'd go for Peace, Faith, and Freedom. The two former are required to keep the third from just degenerating into the worship of the prince of lies. He thrives off war and he deceives those whose faith in God is but a mere conditional conceit. The seeds cast upon the ground that could not allow them to develop a proper root system are at once uprooted at the first coming of a storm. I know I ought to study my bible enough to reference what I'm getting at by book, chapter, and verse but fallen as I am as of this writing I can only grasp at the straw I know is there thanks to the efforts of my local priests. While I pray for the day that the Tridentine Mass is once more the standard of the one true faith... I can at least take solace in the fact that the priesthood is not yet fully converged with the SJW heretics that the current Pope is more than happy to embrace sadly. Communism, not even once if you TRULY believe in Jesus...
    The current Pope takes grains of salt for me, often, as well as faith that God is sovereign, and He has a plan, and I remind myself that He often uses cracked pots, even for the biggest jobs...

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The greatest is LOVE...
    Love is great, but what if you love someone who doesn't love you? Or if you love somebody you can't be with?

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

The current Pope takes grains of salt for me, often, as well as faith that God is sovereign, and He has a plan, and I remind myself that He often uses cracked pots, even for the biggest jobs...
    There is a Catholic blogger who says that Francis and his ilk are our punishment for Vatican II in all its poisonous infamy. I... can't help but agree with him. As I research the heritage and beauty we have lost since that dark decision... I can't help but cry. I don't even know Latin, I can barely make the sign of the cross as my grandparents did as I attempt a crude recitation of very simple Latin words representing the most basic of basic recitations. I can barely, BARELY make the sign of the cross as my ancestors did. I'm a shame to them and I know it, they are doing triple backflips in their coffin given the level of my ignorance. However, one must first admit the problem exists in order to fix it. People my age, if surveys are to be trusted, share my view on these issues. The more "liberal" orders are aging out of existence, whereas the more "traditional" orders are steadily seeing their average age drop lower and lower (i.e. the youth are choosing traditionalism over modernism in the priesthood).

The youth crave the traditions, the olden ways, and in that I can only see a light at the end of this very dark tunnel. The day where ANY priest can hold mass EVERYWHERE a "catholic" church stands may well be close at hand again. White, Black, Brown, Yellow, there was a time where one was either "Catholic" or not and the Mass defined it for the faithful. A priest from Tokyo could hold mass in Zimbabwe because every true Catholic could understand Latin and understood that a Priest was a Priest regardless of ethnicity. I pray with all my heart and soul that we may live to see such a day ourselves. The one true faith, uniting all of humanity in praise of the savior... if that dream is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

strength and (social) confidence
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Love is great, but what if you love someone who doesn't love you? Or if you love somebody you can't be with?
    Hotel, yes love is the greatest, but love gone wrong - so painful.

It is said, "Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all."....

As to unrequited love, I think probably acceptance helps that pain go away quicker. That helps for the latter problem too. If you truly love someone, you accept the reality of the circumstances you are in and you do what's best for them - like stay away if the love interest is not available - no matter how much it hurts you.

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@End, I had a lot of thoughts, and it took me a long time to write them out and then edit them down, and I spent a long time on it, was finally satisfied, then hit "post", finally, but because it was too long the16types logged me out, and when I logged back in, it as all lost... so, I will have to find time later next week to once again gather and rewrite my thoughts on the topic from the beginning... Very frustrating...

But for now I can say at least, if a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing poorly. The Sign of the Cross, practiced by Christians these 2000+ years, is a powerful and worthy practice. It is a protection from evil (so we all need it) and it is a truthful reminder of who you really are and an acknowledgment of to Whom you belong. A lot of times when we know something is important we don't do it because we feel that important things should be done right. But no, because too often the good thing never gets done. So better to do it poorly than not at all. And anyway, its humbling to go ahead and do it poorly because then your focus is on the worth of the thing, vs. your own self.

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

@End, I had a lot of thoughts, and it took me a long time to write them out and then edit them down, and I spent a long time on it, was finally satisfied, then hit "post", finally, but because it was too long the16types logged me out, and when I logged back in, it as all lost... so, I will have to find time later next week to once again gather and rewrite my thoughts on the topic from the beginning... Very frustrating...

But for now I can say at least, if a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing poorly. The Sign of the Cross, practiced by Christians these 2000+ years, is a powerful and worthy practice. It is a protection from evil (so we all need it) and it is a truthful reminder of who you really are and an acknowledgment of to Whom you belong. A lot of times when we know something is important we don't do it because we feel that important things should be done right. But no, because too often the good thing never gets done. So better to do it poorly than not at all. And anyway, its humbling to go ahead and do it poorly because then your focus is on the worth of the thing, vs. your own self.
    The "data vampire" effect you just mentioned is exactly why when, if I feel the need to make an *extensively large* post I do NOT make it within a browser. I open up Microsoft Word, Notepad, any random "word processor" application you're fond of, ect. and type it all out there. Then, once I'm finally, fully, and firmly satisfied with the end product, I highlight the whole thing top to bottom, hit copy, and then paste that screed into the window required within the browser and hit reply within the span of 10 seconds.

Just a protip from someone who has fallen victim to those damned parasites too many times to let them get one more ounce of blood out of this devout turnip. The net is faulty, but your own computer is golden (provided it's properly maintained and not infested with viruses that is. Thankfully, the devout staunchly refrain from the one browsing activity most likely to infest our computers. We both know what it is )

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

forgiveness, strength, healing.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I pick strength.
    The greatest is LOVE...

Yes, the missing one is apparently Hope.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I don't think I can choose one, although Freedom may be the greatest ideal of the lot.

I see no value in Faith whatsoever.
    Last edited by Not A Communist Shill; 08-26-2017 at 07:13 PM.

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    I don't think I can choose one, although Freedom may be the greatest ideal of the lot.

I see no value in Faith whatsoever.
    Whether you accept this fact or not you Do have "faith" in something (especially if you reject the notion of a deity). Try to identify what it is then start asking the hard questions about it. Until you do... well you're only going to keep grasping at straws. Do what Jung said one had to do at some point, descend into the hell of self-knowledge...

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by End View Post
    Whether you accept this fact or not you Do have "faith" in something (especially if you reject the notion of a deity). Try to identify what it is then start asking the hard questions about it. Until you do... well you're only going to keep grasping at straws. Do what Jung said one had to do at some point, descend into the hell of self-knowledge...
    Faith is inferior to Knowledge, and also Doubt. Faith makes you engage in unqualified risks and stops you from asking questions. Doubt however makes you seek Knowledge. What benefit does Faith have?

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Faith is inferior to Knowledge, and also Doubt. Faith makes you engage in unqualified risks and stops you from asking questions. Doubt however makes you seek Knowledge. What benefit does Faith have?
    Well I don't know why, but Jesus placed a very high value on faith, and He is smarter than me. Faith has such a great, good impact in,my life - it is a cause of joy and peace that I feel I would lack completely without faith. So I would say faith is very, very big in my experience. St. Augustine said we all have a hole in our heart that only God can fill and these words endure because people in every new generation affirm this truth over and over. This is not a faith without reason. It takes reason, and then at some point, when one is convinced of the safety and realness of it, one takes a leap of faith. Sometimes people have a desire not to have faith and that's an obstacle.

Scripture says: "For there are these three things that endure: Faith, Hope and Love, but the greatest of these is Love." Its reasonable to suspect there may be more to faith than one might think. I think you probably suspect that, Subteigh.

Atheism to me seems completely unreasonable. However, I think it often comes from wounds. I recently read a book called Faith of the Fatherless which was very illuminating - research and observation backs up what I felt instinctually about it.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Well I don't know why, but Jesus placed a very high value on faith, and He is smarter than me. Faith has such a great, good impact in,my life - it is a cause of joy and peace that I feel I would lack completely without faith. So I would say faith is very, very big in my experience. St. Augustine said we all have a hole in our heart that only God can fill and these words endure because people in every new generation affirm this truth over and over. This is not a faith without reason. It takes reason, and then at some point, when one is convinced of the safety and realness of it, one takes a leap of faith. Sometimes people have a desire not to have faith and that's an obstacle.

Scripture says: "For there are these three things that endure: Faith, Hope and Love, but the greatest of these is Love." Its reasonable to suspect there may be more to faith than one might think. I think you probably suspect that, Subteigh.

Atheism to me seems completely unreasonable. However, I think it often comes from wounds. I recently read a book called Faith of the Fatherless which was very illuminating - research and observation backs up what I felt instinctually about it.
    What is the merit in believing in something without evidence? That is not a wise thing to do. If you are capable of believing things without evidence, you are capable of believing anything and capable of doing incredibly bad things for no reason.

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the merit in believing in something without evidence? That is not a wise thing to do. If you are capable of believing things without evidence, you are capable of believing anything and capable of doing incredibly bad things for no reason.
    Well like I said, reason is involved. But then you get to the edge of reason, a time when faith takes over... but if one is determined to stay away from that edge, then God is not going to disrespect the will of the person. Even if it makes Him very sad because He wants the best for everyone...

I know that for every time of an increase of faith in my life, it involved reason first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast