Thread: Is it possible for Fi dominants to be socially inept?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is it possible for Fi dominants to be socially inept?

Curious.(Maybe a good definition can help me because I just don't think that I get Fi is)

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Besides non-types problems, among domination of Ti/Fe people or such ideology they may get troubles.
    The degree of these factors may be different. Generally, people find not bad place for them on average level, in more appropriate for them region of environment or supress something in them to live. The minority don't want to change something in them or seek better regions, prefer to fight or do nothing, - those up to 20% may get more problems in life, or bonuses as fighting sometimes brings the win.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, not really. ESIs can behave strangely online, and sometimes they can just be mean.
    EIIs can be strangely lacking in empathy in a work environment, or say insensitive things about less fortunate people.

But socially inept? No. If you confront them about their behavior, they will answer for it, unlike Fi-polrs, who will run away, or Fe-polrs, who will shut you out.

If they are expected to socialize, they will socialize well. If they are preoccupied with something, they can still outwardly react in an acceptable way. This is pretty much true for all ethics (Fi/Fe) users.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

In terms of feeling out of their depth, absolutely. I think types are far more prone to conditions similar to Avoidant personality disorder (which is perhaps misleading named) compared to the average person.

In terms of genuine ineptness, this is a somewhat subjective thing to measure of course, but can be compounded by shyness, lack of experience, and being more readily worn down by socialization as is natural for introverts. It is worth remarking that even the most remarkable -types in history had huge levels of doubt about their social ability.

TIM
    IEE 379 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bolong View Post
    No, not really. ESIs can behave strangely online, and sometimes they can just be mean.
    EIIs can be strangely lacking in empathy in a work environment, or say insensitive things about less fortunate people.

But socially inept? No. If you confront them about their behavior, they will answer for it, unlike Fi-polrs, who will run away, or Fe-polrs, who will shut you out.

If they are expected to socialize, they will socialize well. If they are preoccupied with something, they can still outwardly react in an acceptable way. This is pretty much true for all ethics (Fi/Fe) users.
    I guess this depends on what you consider socially inept behavior to be. Fi-leads are often considered by other types to be selfish and reactive. I have a lot of experience with these types as they are common in my family. Also, almost all of the women I have dated have been either ESI or EII. What follows, however, reflects my personal experience and nothing more.

Superficially, Fi-leads are friendly, sensitive and generous people. Nonetheless, Fi-leads more than any other types make friends and enemies based on their values, will frequently run into trouble by giving unsolicited advice and in extreme cases, they may attempt to regulate what emotions you can express around them. Fi-leads fear being overwhelmed with intensity (Se PoLR) or randomness (Ne PoLR) which they can't process. Unfortunately, this makes them especially anxious in an intimate setting, and can lead to commitment phobias if they are not careful.
    Last edited by Spermatozoa; 11-07-2017 at 09:31 PM.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I feel like if Fi base types rejected you that's not commitment phobia

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

define social ineptitude.

They can be extremely subjective. If one drives subjectivity to maximum they do not share objective social reality with others. Hence start to define things how they see it and bunch of other stuff never checking reality.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely. They are introverts after all.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course. EIIs have Se vulnerable and Fe ignoring.

TIM
    EII 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won't speak for ESIs, but for EIIs, I think we can be perceived as "socially inept" due to Se polr. I can be very quiet in a group if I'm not close to anyone in it. This is due to not having a good sense of when to say something, i.e., when is appropriate to draw attention to myself. So I've preferred to err on the side of saying too little than on the side of interrupting others too much. Groups have this flow of conversation, a certain pace of one person saying something after another does, and I'm sometimes hesitant to dive into unfamiliar flows and potentially disrupt the pace.

Though, I wouldn't think of myself as actually socially inept, even if I look it sometimes. I've gotten better at talking in groups, but also, I think I'm just generally pretty good at talking to people. I think the more socially inept/super shy EIIs lack self-confidence or maybe maturity. So, to answer the question, I'd say it's possible for Fi dominants to be socially inept, but I wouldn't say all Fi dominants or EIIs are.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started to think of a reply then got to SubT's post and that was basically it.

Short answer: Yes, it's possible for Fi doms to be socially inept.

Slightly longer answer: As some have already brought up, "socially inept" is a broad term open to interpretation. Also, even if you can pin it to specific behaviors, what might be inept to one person could be reasonable / cute / excusable / normal to another. Furthermore, you can have Fi doms who are overall socially awkward/inept on a regular basis, and you can have some who have moments.

Basically Fi =/= the ability to interact with all people all the time in the most optimal fashion (no matter how much the Fi dom might want that or think they are doing so).

I do think that Fi doms *can* have a higher propensity to be able to adapt to a variety of social situations, particularly in terms of relating to individuals (as opposed to group dynamics). If it's too much out of their norm / internal structures, though, it can't sustainably last for a long time. It's certainly not a guarantee. Poor health can lead to fumbling; high health can lead to less attachment to problematic situations.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All humans are typable, and it is possible for a person to possess nor logical nor social aptitude. So yes.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It would be really weird if that was impossible. Serious quadras might seem this way, minding their own business.

Also, consider the instincts. It's very common that ESI is SX/SP or SP/SX, and EII Self-pres first. So in that case, it's not a factor of mental illness but a different focus area in life. That means, they might be preoccupied with close partnerships (that is what does best anyway) or life maintenance at home instead of community work, making them seem devoid of social skill which might not even be true!

Add the reclusive enneagram types and you get some Fi leads that like to retreat often.

I would rather say it's hard to declare an EIE or ESE as socially inept. is more about explicit socializing than which is more implicit.

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Idiot View Post
    Curious.(Maybe a good definition can help me because I just don't think that I get Fi is)
    I dunno about inept but they can be selfish when they're having difficulties in their lives or when they are living a life far from their ideals, so they might then seem socially inept

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fi is some inner deep conviction of what something is. But it is not based on anything objective, just the feeling. It's some inner pre-established archetypal thing.

Fi can see relationships where there are non. But the same time "create" a "virtual" relationship if there is a need for that. (= holding on to an attitude of a relationship)

There is wisdom in Fi, because it's something age-old, psychic. But usually one doesn't think about that because it is so ordinary.

Fi is also very normalized and integrated in culture.

David Hasselhoff has strong Fi

The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good social skills require you to selflessly latch onto something about the other person. (either that or they are so much like you that you are comfortable enough to have an exchange - but this requires you to not cringe at yourself which is a feat enough of itself for a lot of people.) Don't mean latch on in a romantic way, just something that intrigues you to participate. Socialization is hard for a lot a of people because we just want everything to go our own way narcissistically and want others to go away so there's less obstacles. If you are around other people that hate what you value, you stay away because you know that you will just clash in a way that's not recoverable. So often it's a lot more complicated than 'derp I'm shy.' Hate and fire is stronger than peace & love 99% of the time... sad but true.

So any type can be socially inept. I agree w/Retsu77 it has more to do with classical introversion than type. So sometimes people are just shy, but its just added upon my previous point which makes you even more lonely.

Reminds me of this song lol (charmed theme song):

Melodies from Mars~
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

People have to be put somewhere....

What do you call someone who's almost an LII, is socially inept, but isn't an LII, but also isn't an LSI? An EII.

And ye, the Whole Fe ignoring bit too...

AS a matter of fact....

They can be skillfully inept, unlike the LII or ILE who are only inept as a matter of their abilities. The EII with Ignoring Fe can intentionally be as inept as they want. They can take pride in it or make it their identity. While maybe an LII or LSI would actually try to appear more adept socially and see being awkward or inable to socialize properly as a weakness.
    Last edited by chrys; 11-09-2017 at 06:23 PM.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would sum up the issue this way: some people may think/perceive that a Fi dominant is socially inept.
    However, this person's perception would be wrong.

It's similar to how ILIs or SLIs can be perceived as lazy and uneffective. You are simply not giving them the right incentives. They will not run like rats like some Fi dominants do just because you happen to give a bit of money in exchange for some kind of job. They know they can "sell" their abilities for more - or least they are convinced they can, even if they actually don't.

Similarly, a Fi dominant won't necessarily be super nice to you just because you happen to want to socialize with them.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Idiot View Post
    anyone can be socially inept. being social requires social interaction, not just being an f type. t types can be social too

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Social ineptitude is inversely proportional to extroversion. Introversion is just a nice way to say call somone socially inept.

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chains View Post
    Social ineptitude is inversely proportional to extroversion. Introversion is just a nice way to say call somone socially inept.
    You can't be serious.
    New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpia View Post
    You can't be serious.
    It is not an absolute Law, but generally yes, the scientific(not pseudoscientific socionics) understanding of introversion is that of a person focused inward And behaves solitarily. Solitary individuals by definition aren't social, hence not socially skilled. However, ambiverts(most people) show a greater degree of skill than introverts. True introverts tend to be really quiet and a little weird according to many true extroverts.

Only in Jungian "psychology" can one be a true "introvert" and socially savy.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cuivienen View Post
    I guess this depends on what you consider socially inept behavior to be. Fi-leads are often considered by other types to be selfish and reactive. I have a lot of experience with these types as they are common in my family. Also, almost all of the women I have dated have been either ESI or EII. What follows, however, reflects my personal experience and nothing more.

Superficially, Fi-leads are friendly, sensitive and generous people. Nonetheless, Fi-leads more than any other types make friends and enemies based on their values, will frequently run into trouble by giving unsolicited advice and in extreme cases, they may attempt to regulate what emotions you can express around them. Fi-leads fear being overwhelmed with intensity (Se PoLR) or randomness (Ne PoLR) which they can't process. Unfortunately, this makes them especially anxious in an intimate setting, and can lead to commitment phobias if they are not careful.
    The bold is basically what I consider socially appropriate behavior. It is not by any means the only indicator of a "good" person, etc

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yes. Everything is possible. No exception.

Even me had social ineptness.

Everyone does.

TIM
    eii enfp sp/so 479
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, when I was depressed I didn't want to engage in groups or say anything. Fe suggestive seems to involve themselves and if surronded by fe doms they will feel comfortable. Sadly, I don't often feel safe around fe doms because they are always trying to ask something out of me. They question my coldness and sometimes as I read fi "hides behind a banal mask" like theirs something wrong with me. So they tend to pry and ask about different stuff, for example why I am doing something.
    I remember how my fe dom mother would get mad at me because I wouldn't share information about my personal life with her. Or she asks asks stuff like "what did you do today how are your friends how is everyone doing" I don't really feel safe around too much of that. She use to tell others about the things I share with her with out my permission. Fi vaulers don't do these since fi is about secrets and sharing personal information but just between the two of you.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes.