Thread: Oldham Styles, Personality Disorders, and Big Five

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Oldham Styles, Personality Disorders, and Big Five

just wanted to post about the Oldham styles, which i didn't know much about until i started reading more about them recently. the Oldham types are derived from personality & mood disorders as described in the DSM; that is, Oldham personality styles are non-pathological, non-extreme categories of personality traits and behaviors, while disorders are the corresponding extreme, pathological manifestations of these categories. source: http://psyed.org/r/pers/pt/

correspondence chart between Oldham, MBTI/Keirsey, Enneagram, and disorders: http://psyed.org/r/pers/pt/correspondence.html

the Oldham types are listed below with their corresponding disorders and Big Five dimensions, according to the site linked above - leaving out Enneagram and MBTI, since those are probably much more debatable/questionable, and because DSM-recognized disorders and Big Five are comparatively well-researched and well-known. links are provided to relevant descriptions and Wikipedia articles.

Oldham: Adventurous [link]
    Disorder: Antisocial [link]
    Big Five: High Neuroticism, Low Extraversion, Low Openness, Low Agreeableness, Low Conscientiousness [link]

Oldham: Artistic / Exuberant [link]
    Disorder: Cyclothymic [link]
    Big Five: High Neuroticism, Low Extraversion, Low Openness, High Agreeableness, Low Conscientiousness [link]

Oldham: Aggressive [link]
    Disorder: Sadistic [link]
    Big Five: High Neuroticism, High Extraversion, High Openness, Low Agreeableness, High Conscientiousness [link]

Oldham: Conscientious [link]
    Disorder: Obsessive-Compulsive [link]
    Big Five: High Neuroticism, High Extraversion, High Openness, High Agreeableness, High Conscientiousness [link]

Oldham: Devoted [link]
    Disorder: Dependent [link]
    Big Five: High Neuroticism, Low Extraversion, Low Openness, High Agreeableness, High Conscientiousness [link]

Oldham: Dramatic [link]
    Disorder: Histrionic [link]
    Big Five: High Neuroticism, Low Extraversion, High Openness, High Agreeableness, Low Conscientiousness [link]

Oldham: Idiosyncratic [link]
    Disorder: Schizotypal [link]
    Big Five: High Neuroticism, Low Extraversion, High Openness, Low Agreeableness, High Conscientiousness [link]

Oldham: Inventive [link]
    Disorder: Compensatory Narcissistic [link] [link]
    Big Five: High Neuroticism, High Extraversion, High Openness, Low Agreeableness, Low Conscientiousness [link]

Oldham: Leisurely [link]
    Disorder: Passive-Aggressive [link]
    Big Five: High Neuroticism, High Extraversion, Low Openness, Low Agreeableness, High Conscientiousness [link]

Oldham: Mercurial [link]
    Disorder: Borderline [link]
    Big Five: High Neuroticism, High Extraversion, Low Openness, High Agreeableness, Low Conscientiousness [link]

Oldham: Self-Confident [link]
    Disorder: Narcissistic [link]
    Big Five: High Neuroticism, High Extraversion, Low Openness, Low Agreeableness, Low Conscientiousness [link]

Oldham: Self-Sacrificing [link]
    Disorder: Masochistic [link]
    Big Five: High Neuroticism, High Extraversion, Low Openness, High Agreeableness, High Conscientiousness [link]

Oldham: Sensitive [link]
    Disorder: Avoidant [link]
    Big Five: High Neuroticism, Low Extraversion, High Openness, High Agreeableness, High Conscientiousness [link]

Oldham: Serious [link]
    Disorder: Depressive [link]
    Big Five: High Neuroticism, Low Extraversion, Low Openness, Low Agreeableness, High Conscientiousness [link]

Oldham: Solitary [link]
    Disorder: Schizoid [link]
    Big Five: High Neuroticism, Low Extraversion, High Openness, Low Agreeableness, Low Conscientiousness [link]

Oldham: Vigilant [link]
    Disorder: Paranoid [link]
    Big Five: High Neuroticism, High Extraversion, High Openness, High Agreeableness, Low Conscientiousness [link]

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I suppose I would be closest to Sensitive or Idiosyncratic or Solitary.

I don't know my Oldham type. The last time I took the test, I had about 6 or 7 styles I scored high in.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

with Oldham, i *think* you can be described by more than one type, since it's not like socionics. if you want to find your style/s, one way may be to think about the personality/mood disorders that you tend to display traits of (or even have a full-blown diagnosis of), and look at the associated type/s and within that cluster.

Cluster A (Eccentric personality disorders)
    Associated with Oldham: Vigilant, Solitary, Idiosyncratic

Cluster B (Dramatic personality disorders)
    Associated with Oldham: Adventurous, Mercurial, Dramatic, Self-Confident, Inventive

Cluster C (Anxious personality disorders)
    Associated with Oldham: Sensitive, Devoted, Conscientious

Other personality disorders (Sadistic, Self-defeating, Passive-aggressive)
    Associated with Oldham: Aggressive, Self-Sacrificing, Leisurely

Mood disorders (Depressive, Cyclothymic)
    Associated with Oldham: Serious, Artistic

this makes sense for me anyway, because certain behavioral traits i have are associated with Cluster C/Anxious, and i'm probably some combination of Oldham Sensitive and Conscientious.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I see these are all High Neuroticism (i.e. if you are trying to find which disorder fits you best, ignore the first column).

Sensitive / Avoidant fits me based on Big Five traits alone (and in general also), then maybe Idiosyncratic / Schizotypal. ...and maybe Devoted / Dependent 2nd or 3rd.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Are there any disorders associated with low neuroticism?
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

This thread has some links to tests and other discussions on the forum.

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...sonality-Test/

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

http://www.businessballs.com/persona...ylesmodels.htm

They might've sth on Oldham in all of that? Actually, after ctrl+f ing, they don't. I'll just repost the link in your other recent thread, glam. Anyways, here're some other websites w/ Oldham stuff, one an incomplete archive.is archive of psyed (which is one of the best websites for Oldham indeed) which I made some time back:

http://satori.com/BodyBotique/Oldham...overview2.html
    http://www.ptypes.com/solitary.html
    https://archive.is/psyed.org
    http://www.selectsmart.com/FREE/sele...?client=ethics
    http://www.9types.com/movieboard/intro_new.htm
    http://users.rowan.edu/~sistoc28/
    http://webspace.webring.com/people/c...oldham.htm#ADV

Glam's other recent thread:

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...er-Typing-Form
    Last edited by kopyk; 09-07-2015 at 01:49 AM.

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this theory, last time I took the test I scored senstive type, which correlates with avoidant personality disorder. My big 5 socre is pure histrionic though, but I remember I scored pretty low on dramatic style on that test and I do not relate to it either.

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm closest to Inventive; in the Big 5 I have high neuroticism, medium extroversion, high openness, low agreeableness, low conscientiousness. Oldham styles are interesting and I think being highly neurotic is kind of crucial to a lot of the mentioned personality disorders

I relate most to Sensitive, Solitary, and Idiosyncratic... it's like I am socially aware but distance myself regardless of what I feel. If anything, the idea that others are judging me is more than enough reason to be different. So in some weird way I am all of them. The question "do you care what others think?" is quite a jacked question in my case I do, but I will go out of my way to ruin my reputation at times. That makes me feel both Sensitive and Idiosyncratic.

Now as for solitary- It's not that I really want to be alone, it's just no one will satisfy or empower or fuse with me, so I'd rather be alone. I can be with people as long as there is a respectful distance, but I cannot let others get too close, as that is my territory and not theirs to claim. Now this does /not/ mean I'm incapable of intense conversations... it just means as soon as I have one, I feel like I've been ripped open and need to isolate myself to bandage myself. And I enjoy this, don't get me wrong.

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol I instantly knew my Oldham style was VIGILANT. All I had to do was skim through the styles, it popped out like a sore thumb.
    <_< why cant socionics be that easy!?

EDIT: This might be useful here: http://www.geocities.ws/lifexplore/oldham.htm @ergot @Melancholie
    Last edited by SGF; 07-17-2020 at 04:50 AM.

Idiosyncratic would work if it didn't mention Occult, Extrasensory, & supernatural. I'd say my reasoning can be very irrational and confusing to even myself at times, but it's still based on what /I/ feel. I never had any interest or need to believe in any of that other stuff, since that is outside my own world, and I focus on myself and my own sensations.

Sensitive sounds theoretically correct, but in reality, I hate the lifestyle it prescribes. I'd say I'm sensitive around people, but because I don't want to be that way, I avoid people who don't agree with my lifestyle or interests wholeheartedly. It's as simple as that. Sensitive, perhaps, but disagreeable.

Solitary I'm not sure about. It claims to eschew emotions and passion... which is not exactly true. I act on my emotions and passion alot of the times. I just don't express or talk about them. So this one might not fit.

Going based on disorders, I'm definitely more like the Avoidant than the Schizotypal/Schizoid ones.

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Melancholie View Post
    Going based on disorders, I'm definitely more like the Avoidant than the Schizotypal/Schizoid ones.
    Avoidant fits better with Fi-Ne. I have seen EIIs being characterized as such in contrast to Fi-Se types which are said to be more confrontational.

Riley and Bunny together forever HicksHawking 14Raptor19's Avatar
    Macroverse MtBattle ScholarsGarden Halloween1993 SuperNexus InfinitiesUltimate AllSpectraEverywhere
    TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm Solitary-Adventurous-Dramatic.

Solitary because I love learning, skyrocketing off into farfetched schemata, playing with the pen, following vision, clarity, the full magnitude of mental powers. Adventurous somewhat because I love video games where you can explore a vast and gorgeous world of unrivaled flow. Dramatic because I, under internal resonance surge with mania and flowering of pixie power and fairy tales.
    Raptor had to lose in 2006 to become Revan, important errands of knighthood and valor to walk with Pokemon and charm the melodies of sweet channels to lush frenzy galloping solo yet swiftly into the sunrise for maximum presents and signed in deluxe oceans of fast trading cards bazooka cascading rumba of love Force constellations restoring last battle cardinal plants actively swirling for juice and petals to wishes
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...k-2024-edition

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Oldham types should be linked to INNATE personality disorders/styles.
    Hence diagnosed personality pathology might not correspond to Oldham or innate characteristics. It is notable that Theodore Millon seemed to think that style and disorder should go hand in hand in continuum. This would probably invalidate lots of personality disorder diagnosis.

Some even say enneagram but enneagram experts disagree. Some say that schizotypal (idiosyncratic in Oldham) should 7 some say 5. 5 Actually does not make any sense from motivational perspective since it is just superficial "5" - clearly they are not in a pathway to mastery/omnipotency. [Big5 says that high extraversion corresponds to socialite etc.]
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Riley and Bunny together forever HicksHawking 14Raptor19's Avatar
    Macroverse MtBattle ScholarsGarden Halloween1993 SuperNexus InfinitiesUltimate AllSpectraEverywhere
    TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

P types casts a drinking potion to the language tongue to Grand Prix castle!!

Having your own imaginary fantasy castle - I guess that’s Bunny dramatic for the gallery of exotic finds to expel the dragon fires.
    Raptor had to lose in 2006 to become Revan, important errands of knighthood and valor to walk with Pokemon and charm the melodies of sweet channels to lush frenzy galloping solo yet swiftly into the sunrise for maximum presents and signed in deluxe oceans of fast trading cards bazooka cascading rumba of love Force constellations restoring last battle cardinal plants actively swirling for juice and petals to wishes
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...k-2024-edition

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Disorder Neuroticism Extraversion Openness Agreeableness, Conscientiousness Strong correlations Strong & weak correlations Similarminds type
    Paranoid 0.4 -0.21 -0.04 -0.34 -0.11 IXTX ISTP RLUEN
    Schizoid 0.22 -0.46 -0.11 -0.16 -0.1 IXXX ISTP RLUEN
    Schizotypal 0.38 -0.28 0.09 -0.17 -0.14 IXXX INTP RLUEI
    Antisocial 0.18 0.04 0.08 -0.36 -0.33 XXTP ENTP SLUEI
    Borderline 0.54 -0.12 0.1 -0.24 -0.29 XXTP INTP RLUEI
    Histrionic 0.1 0.33 0.15 -0.11 -0.11 EXXX ENTP SLUEI
    Narcissistic 0.11 0.09 0.07 -0.37 -0.1 XXTX ENTP SLUEI
    Avoidant 0.52 -0.49 -0.08 -0.07 -0.16 IXXX ISTP RLUEN
    Dependent 0.44 -0.15 -0.03 0.08 -0.2 XXXP ISFP RLUAN
    Obsessive 0.18 -0.12 -0.04 -0.05 0.24 XXXJ ISTJ RLOEN

Samuel, D.B. and Widiger, T.A., 2008. A meta-analytic review of the relationships between the five-factor model and DSM-IV-TR personality disorders: A facet level analysis. Clinical psychology review, 28(8), pp.1326-1342.