Thread: Relation between type and belief in God.

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Relation between type and belief in God.

I think they are related. I will speak about my own experience. I have not seen religious Gammas some SEEs I know have religious beliefs but never obey the rules of religion.

IEIs and EIIs I have met for example, are always spiritual. SLIs also like to believe in spiritulity. IEEs and ESEs are go with the flow, will discuss with you any point of view specially the IEE, to the point I don't exactly know where they stand. SLEs and LSEs don't care much about religion, but have some beliefs. LSIs are conservative and deep down believe in religion, specially God, but might criricize some religious sayings. SEIs like to be spiritual. I have never met a religious or theist LII. ILEs debate about religion alot but are never religious themselves and don't care about it much more than IEEs.

Share you experiences and point of view please.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

NTR. I have met Christians of every type (with one or two exceptions for types that I've known very few of). Worship style preference is probably type-related. God is not.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Spirituality does not equate with religion as much as religion may not involve spirituality.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    NTR. I have met Christians of every type (with one or two exceptions for types that I've known very few of). Worship style preference is probably type-related. God is not.
    Can confirm, this extends to polytheistic religions as well.

TIM
    Dyslexic 17
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is more of a culture thing, I know because virtually no one is religious nowadays especially in modern Europe, although you could extrapolate attitudes based on type

A man chooses, a slave obeys MensSuperMateriam's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kye View Post
    LSIs are conservative and deep down believe in religion, specially God, but might criricize some religious sayings.
    Or could be strongly materialistic (in the philosophical sense) and believe in nothing, and end rejecting not only religion but also Philosophy or any kind of abstract conceptualization.... like some radical communists. My experience with them is that once their opinion has settled down (whichever it is), it will be ve very difficult for it to change. It's like ideas tend to "crystallize" in their brains... sort of.

I have never met a religious or theist LII.
    If you want an example, Kurt Gödel would be. He even tried to demostrate by logic deduction (lol) the existence of God. Regardless how genius he could be as a Mathematician, his proof was... ludicrous at best. Very Ti-ish in his formulation (essentially a reification), if you're interested take a look here.

Basically he used an "empty concept" and called it God, and later deduced its existence. Of course, if the concept is empty, it's basically a wild card that you can use in any form you want.

It never ceases amazing me how people could believe in this form. Not that they believe per se (I don't, but I can understand that some people fill a need of purpose in this way) but... You have something that is supposed to be beyond human mind (that is, non falsifiable). So basically, it could be anything (infinite possibilities). But ... how curious!, inside this set of infinite possibilities... the correct one is precisely...yours! How lucky you must be.

And no, it's not a relative degree of confidence. Worse, it's a certainty, and in the form of such intellectual abomination some people call... faith.

In a set of endless possibilities (endless, literally), the probability of having such luck is basically 1/inf = 0. Z-E-R-O. If it's not falsifiable, not only it cannot be proven, it simply cannot be known. If god exists, it cannot be known.

I think it's much more honest to accept that you do not know what you do not know than making an answer according to your convenience/needs.

Or that's my opinion at least.

Share you experiences and point of view please.
    I more or less agree with the rest of posters.

Although there is certain correlation between some types and belief/disbelief, it's better to think in terms of types and the way they would fashion their reasonings for forming an opinion about such topic.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

religion as spiritual and "magical" practice has most relation to Ni

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

I am definitely spiritual but I don't really see it as "God". Calling these universal forces as "God" makes it sound more human and it is not. Gods I've heard about in religions don't just save people, they punish them. And I do not believe in that because these forces do not have opinions on what is ethical or not. Only humans do this. It just reacts to peoples feelings I think. I pray especially in hard times and I thank the universe when good things have happened or I've felt better after a prayer. Right now I do not believe that the universe punishes.

I have had times where I have gotten too paranoid with spirits and think it is trying to trick me, and if I ask for this thing, it will give me the opposite, things like that. And apologizing for a tiny negative thought about someone so the bad karma doesn't come back on me. I think intuitive types have more potential to become crazy and paranoid like this.

When life feels terrible, a thing to keep in mind is to trust the universe, and trust life. We go through these things for a reason. This has saved me from ending my life at times. I have only lived 19 years on this planet and the majority of my life so far has been pretty painful. Some go through hard times when they're young, some do when they get older. My fate was to experience them as a young person for whatever reason.
    Last edited by maniac; 08-25-2016 at 08:21 PM.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I don't think belief in god is type related, although the manner in which a person is religious might be.

I do not consider myself a religious or a spiritual person (I do not believe in gods and spirits...I don't believe in the supernatural at all). However, I would consider myself a pious person - in the Platonic sense.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I consider myself spiritual, not religious.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

This 16personalities article is interesting: https://www.16personalities.com/arti...sonality-type#
    (go to the very bottom where it says: "For the Data Lovers: To see the full set of data, please [click here]")

In response to the statement “You are very religious" (agree or disagree are the possible answers), out of 42944 respondents,
    "Prospecting" (i.e. Perceiving) types were the ones most likely to disagree, then "Intuitive" types, then "Thinking" types, then "Extraverted" types, then "Assertive" types (is this measure equivalent to "low Neuroticism"?)
    (note: all scales had majorities disagreeing with the statement.

In order from highest "Disagree" to lowest:
    INTP 74.52
    ENTP 74.14
    INFP 66.5
    ENFP 66.29
    ESTP 65.67
    ISTP 63.29
    INTJ 62.97
    ENTJ 58.52
    ESTJ 57.29
    ENFJ 57.13
    INFJ 55.67
    ESFP 55.22
    ISTJ 54.43
    ISFP 52.02
    ESFJ 47.52
    ISFJ 44.63

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

There is another 16personalities article in regards the statement "You are very spiritual"?: https://www.16personalities.com/arti...uality-or-both

"Feeling" types were the ones most likely to agree with the statement, then "Extaverted" types, then "Intuitive" types, then "Assertive" types, then "Prospecting" (Perceiving) types: "Thinking" types were the only type overall to disagree with the statement. (I'm rather astonished that the results would be so different compared to the religious question).

ISTP 61.37
    ISTJ 57.73
    INTP 54.82
    ESTP 53.87
    INTJ 51.16
    ESTJ 48.38
    ISFP 44.26
    ENTP 42.16
    ISFJ 39.55
    ENTJ 38.10
    ESFP 36.22
    ESFJ 35.46
    INFP 34.71
    INFJ 31.84
    ENFP 25.14
    ENFJ 23.97

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think HOW one goes about practicing their religion will manifest differently depending on type.

For example LSIs would lean towards practicing it in a more conservative, practical way, whereas another personality-type may appear be more carefree, spiritual, etc.

Personally as a Christian, there are times where I feel "less spiritual" compared to my peers at times.

For example I remember at a retreat everyone was crying/getting emotional/balling their eyes out during prayer. Then there was me, sitting there in the corner feeling nothing (lol).

But, I'm guessing it was because I'm LSI and not naturally in tune with my emotions lol. I'd wager that thinkers can relate.

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    There is another 16personalities article in regards the statement "You are very spiritual"?: https://www.16personalities.com/arti...uality-or-both

"Feeling" types were the ones most likely to agree with the statement, then "Extaverted" types, then "Intuitive" types, then "Assertive" types, then "Prospecting" (Perceiving) types: "Thinking" types were the only type overall to disagree with the statement. (I'm rather astonished that the results would be so different compared to the religious question).

ISTP 61.37
    ISTJ 57.73
    INTP 54.82
    ESTP 53.87
    INTJ 51.16
    ESTJ 48.38
    ISFP 44.26
    ENTP 42.16
    ISFJ 39.55
    ENTJ 38.10
    ESFP 36.22
    ESFJ 35.46
    INFP 34.71
    INFJ 31.84
    ENFP 25.14
    ENFJ 23.97
    That's interesting. That supports what I just said above lol

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not religious nor spiritual and I tend to be fairly critical and sceptical about such things and people who believe in god or are spiritual. I don't know if it's type related or not, but I grew up in a strongly atheistic family so there's none in my life who'd lead me towards being religious, quite the opposite. I guess it's not the type, but my cultural and family background that made me non-religious.

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MensSuperMateriam View Post
    Or could be strongly materialistic (in the philosophical sense) and believe in nothing, and end rejecting not only religion but also Philosophy or any kind of abstract conceptualization.... like some radical communists. My experience with them is that once their opinion has settled down (whichever it is), it will be ve very difficult for it to change. It's like ideas tend to "crystallize" in their brains... sort of.
    Yes exactly but they seem to have a veeery hard time changing their beliefs and habits