Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Socionics: Bridging Jung and Freud

As you should know, socionics is based on Jung's model of psychic functions, and both socionics and MBTI are nearly the same since they are both based on logical extrapolation from Jung's original analysis, though the cultures around socionics and MBTI can be very different. However, Jung barely worked on his model of psychic functions and spent much more time on his archetypes and his development of the psyche, and when socionics and MBTI refer to "ego functions" and "superego" and "id," they are echoing Freud far more than Jung. Did Jung not develop his typology very much because he did not reconcile his ideas to Freud's during his lifetime? Discuss.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I understand I don't think Freud believed in the collective unconscious or Jung's idea of self-actualization. I think Freud's focus was that all psychic problems come from the unconscious. But Jung of course believed the ego could be just as problematic.
    But admittedly I don't know a lot about Freud, so maybe I'm wrong.
    previously Megadoodoo

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Protozoa View Post
    From what I understand I don't think Freud believed in the collective unconscious or Jung's idea of self-actualization. I think Freud's focus was that all psychic problems come from the unconscious. But Jung of course believed the ego could be just as problematic.
    But admittedly I don't know a lot about Freud, so maybe I'm wrong.
    The ego could be viewed as a dialectic between externally-imposed social restraints (the superego) and the personal unconscious (the id,) so potentially both could be seem as different ways of phrasing the same thing, even if you believe the ego involves libertarian free will since the issues which the ego deals with would be those of the unconscious not properly adapting to society or vice versa in the case of changing society or one's place in it. I believe Jung's collective unconscious would correlate to the superid found in systems such as that used by @Olga Tangemann which is a term which would itself bridge Jung and Freud.