Thread: Enneagram 5: Differentiating Wings

Creepy-

Default Enneagram 5: Differentiating Wings

I have been studying the enneagram lately, and I am unsure about wings....

How would you differentiate between a straight 5, a 5w4, and a 5w6??

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chain rule
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Chain rule
    Chain rule? Would you mind explaining that, or maybe linking to an explanation of it?

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is from esper's site, which I find an extremely useful resource.

http://theenneagram.blogspot.com/2007/09/type-5.html
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, it really just came down to what I felt like fit more completely via descriptions.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

A Place within a Place in the Universe Where they will never suspect. *Cackles like a witch.*
    TIM
    EII H-Ne
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5s with a 6 wing are more solidly a head type, and typically pursue sciences. They are about preparing in advanced. 5w4s are the more withdrawn subtype, and may channel their need for knowledge into the arts. 5w4s have more of an inner focus on identity while 5w6s are about developing methods.

5w4s have more of a focus on how their method differs from others than 5w6s. All 5s have deep-running emotions beneath the surface, but a 4-winger would be more in touch with their emotions than a 6-winger.
    xII se PoLR, 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Phlegmatic-Melancholic |RCoAI| Fascinator| Newtype-secondary| LEFVl|

#JusticeforJeb_, Water Sheep did nothing wrong, High Inquisitor Of Council of Water Sheep and Water Sheep's protector

Make things right? Who are we to decide when things are right and when they need to be fixed?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Chain rule
    you're funny

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creepy- how come you never have an avatar or anything when you post??

TIM
    ISTP
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a prefix for deleted users whose posts have not been deleted, not a single user.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Froody Blue Gem View Post
    5s with a 6 wing are more solidly a head type, and typically pursue sciences. They are about preparing in advanced. 5w4s are the more withdrawn subtype, and may channel their need for knowledge into the arts. 5w4s have more of an inner focus on identity while 5w6s are about developing methods.

5w4s have more of a focus on how their method differs from others than 5w6s. All 5s have deep-running emotions beneath the surface, but a 4-winger would be more in touch with their emotions than a 6-winger.
    This is good. You described my ILI-Ni 5w6 friend rather well.

Would you mind doing a description like this for 8w7 vs 8w9? Off topic, but this thread is like twelve years old anyways, nobody knows who the op is anymore, so it shouldn't matter.

A Place within a Place in the Universe Where they will never suspect. *Cackles like a witch.*
    TIM
    EII H-Ne
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ave View Post
    This is good. You described my ILI-Ni 5w6 friend rather well.

Would you mind doing a description like this for 8w7 vs 8w9? Off topic, but this thread is like twelve years old anyways, nobody knows who the op is anymore, so it shouldn't matter.

Thank you, and I appreciate that. Alrighty, I'll give a swing at the 8s and their wings.

8s as a whole are more in touch with their anger than the two other components of the gut triad. 8w9s value if those around them are protected, and if they themselves are overall serene. 8w7s want contentment and freedom.

8w9s will be more calm, and more avoidant that the 8w7 counterparts. 8w9s are the more likely out of the subtypes when healthy to act as a mentor, who sticks close to their beliefs. 8s in general are one of the most bighearted of the enneatypes when at their healthiest level. They don't outright seek out conflict, but they are not afraid if they are met with it. 8w9s are very stubborn, and it's hard to sway their mind in another direction once it's set. The entire gut triad is based on expressing anger and stubbornness, and this comes through with the 9 wingers because it's more solidly a gut type.

8w7s are more oriented towards energy, and have a side to them that loves bouncing around ideas. They are very energetic and intense individuals especially when paired up with sx instinct. They are more likely of the subtypes to pick fights for fun. 8s fear being controlled by others, and 8w7s put an emphasis on the freedom aspect, and value this greatly. They are irreverent and go by the beat of their own drum. These are the more scattered of the 8 subtypes.
    xII se PoLR, 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Phlegmatic-Melancholic |RCoAI| Fascinator| Newtype-secondary| LEFVl|

#JusticeforJeb_, Water Sheep did nothing wrong, High Inquisitor Of Council of Water Sheep and Water Sheep's protector

Make things right? Who are we to decide when things are right and when they need to be fixed?

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Froody Blue Gem View Post
    Thank you, and I appreciate that. Alrighty, I'll give a swing at the 8s and their wings.

8s as a whole are more in touch with their anger than the two other components of the gut triad. 8w9s value if those around them are protected, and if they themselves are overall serene. 8w7s want contentment and freedom.

8w9s will be more calm, and more avoidant that the 8w7 counterparts. 8w9s are the more likely out of the subtypes when healthy to act as a mentor, who sticks close to their beliefs. 8s in general are one of the most bighearted of the enneatypes when at their healthiest level. They don't outright seek out conflict, but they are not afraid if they are met with it. 8w9s are very stubborn, and it's hard to sway their mind in another direction once it's set. The entire gut triad is based on expressing anger and stubbornness, and this comes through with the 9 wingers because it's more solidly a gut type.

8w7s are more oriented towards energy, and have a side to them that loves bouncing around ideas. They are very energetic and intense individuals especially when paired up with sx instinct. They are more likely of the subtypes to pick fights for fun. 8s fear being controlled by others, and 8w7s put an emphasis on the freedom aspect, and value this greatly. They are irreverent and go by the beat of their own drum. These are the more scattered of the 8 subtypes.
    This is good, again, and thank you for writing that up - The five one was useful for typing my ILI-Ni friend who is 5w6 (I had a hard time since he dabbles in the arts and philosophy. But his main focus is on science, technology, and objective methods of knowledge - def 5w6>5w4). It was also useful to describe my 5w4 cousin(ILI I think), who is into everything metaphysical, new age, etc. Her methods of knoweldge are very different than my friend, she tries to be "different" and come up with unusual methods to knowledge. Some people think she's cooky, but she is super smart, has an IQ of around 150 as per my aunt.

The eight description was more of a selfish interest on my part. If I'm an eight, then for sure I can exclude 8w9. The 8w7 description however, fits me rather well...I really value my freedom (I hate rules, micromanagment in work situations, big government, and being told what to do...the list goes on). I agree, I am very afraid of being controlled by others, though contra to most stereotypes of type eight, I don't really try to boss others around or anything, usually I don't care to. Most descriptions don't really describe eights as "bossy" but for some reason the stereotype sticks. I'm more likely to confront others and expose my problem if I sense my boundries being tresspassed. I can seek conflicts for fun, when I'm feeling energetic enough to do so, which is about half the time, the other half I might just let shit slip, though I may bring it up later on when I'm feeling "ready" lol. Marching to the beat of my own - drum, always have, yes. Some people think I'm eccentric, or weird, it doesn't really stop me. I've always kind of been a loner in terms of shaping my path in life, not necessarily a loner in the sense of not having friends, but I'm very individualistic and sometimes I regret not being more "community oriented" since it feels like I miss out on alot of the benefits close knit human groups offer, but I am also afraid of being controlled and constrained by such groups (also I am so last).

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Northstar View Post
    It's a prefix for deleted users whose posts have not been deleted, not a single user.
    OH

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Northstar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by citronnade View Post
    OH

I think we should all name ourselves Creepy- to confuse people now.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coeruleum View Post

I think we should all name ourselves Creepy- to confuse people now.
    oh no.. i was already so confused without any renaming..
    good thinking