Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When did you discover Socionics?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question When did you discover Socionics?

Hi everyone.

In this thread you can talk about when, how and why your "Socionics Life" began.

Personally, after 2/3 months spent on MBTI "theory", I was quite tired of it, in the sense that I had too little info to decide whether I was INTP or INTJ. Stereotypes made it even harder, so I started to look for something different. I went to the MBTI Wikipedia page and looked at the "See also" section. Among all the acronyms, what attracted me more was the word "Socionics", which is kind of what I was looking for. As soon as I opened the page, I got so excited to see a lot of new words (Model A, Information Elements, Intertype Relationships). I was like "I can't wait to learn all of this". It was March 4th 2016 or, at least, that's the day when I took my first Socionics test.

Share your experiences!
    KEEP IT LIGHT AND KEEP IT MOVING

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I've learned it January 2017.

I was just googling stuff about what's the compatible types for <insert mbti type>

Then it led me to socionics.

There's a calculator that matches your compatibility.

I was actually amazed how it explained stuffs.

So there. It's actually two months after i became serious about joining a personality forum.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Before i was just googling stuffs until I decided to join the forum

Sir that's my emotional support gremlin ApeironStella's Avatar
    TIM
    LII-Ne 5w4 594 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a bit longer than a year? When it comes to "hearing" about it, about one and a half year-two years. I spent a few months with MBTI without knowing the Cognitive Functions, then spent around about three years learning the functions and theories like Beebe's etc. Blogs I followed started to delve into/talk about/criticize Socionics after the "getting into Enneagram" phase, so when I felt like there wasn't really that much left to analyze/ponder about MBTI, I started dipping toes into Socionics to see what all this "it is too rigid and categorical and complex" talk was all about. Then made an acc here at first as a joke since I was rather certain that I wouldn't really stick around but well. Turns out, I was wrong. I do value Socionics now, even if I don't feel like I still know and understand it enough to be anywhere near a "master" of it.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

March 2016. I think I followed the SX trail after reading about duality first. WSS played a role there I remember.

TIM
    RLOEI 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Late 2013, about a year after I discovered MBTI. I happened across it as a subforum on an MBTI forum.

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

I discovered the MBTI in late 2012 or early 2013, when I was googling "personality type test" after having read in a big psychology text book (written by David G. Myers, ironically) about personality and wanted "more". Back then I was playing with the idea of studying Psychology and becoming a Psychotherapist. I was very much into personality (disorder) theories. (I discovered the Enneagram shortly thereafter, thanks to many MBTI people being obsessed with Enneagram, too.)

An MBTI online friend (LII-Ne) asked me to study Socionics with him, so my study of Socionics began the moment I joined this forum (08-13-2014).
    I've heard of Socionics before, and I was quite skeptical, especially of the Intertype relations. I thought they were bs, tbh.
    But as I read more about the theory and compared it to my life experiences, it became apparent to me that it was rather accurate and much more in-depth than MBTI.
    New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by idontgiveaf View Post
    I was just googling stuff about what's the compatible types for <insert mbti type>

Then it led me to socionics.

There's a calculator that matches your compatibility.

I was actually amazed how it explained stuffs.

So there. It's actually two months after i became serious about joining a personality forum.

same, but for me was in 2016.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Around 2005/6

Rather sudden, complicated and extreme personal circumstances followed by depression and escape into internet. Some discussion on a writer's forum led me to take an MBTI test (with a result of INTJ) and from there my searching for information of all sorts led me to socionics. I originally assumed I was LII, read much, considered various typings, compared real life experiences and it wasn't until 2009 that I had tested everything thoroughly enough that I was finally sure I had my type correct. Even though I originally assumed I was LII, the very last piece of the puzzle to fall into place to cement my type as LSI was Fe-seeking, and that didn't happen until after a failed relationship with a very non-Fe individual where I realized how very important that aspect was for me.

One of the first things I worked out was Ne vs Se, but that took the longest to sort due to various misconceptions, bad information, stereotypes and so on. Reinin's book was a huge help in my final type determination as was Beskova's female type descriptions but along the way every piece I read contributed until a best-fit picture of my type slid into place and I knew that nothing else worked as well.
    Last edited by squark; 08-31-2017 at 10:49 PM.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter of 2009

The reason that I started to take it seriously was that around that time I went on a random date with a girl who was an obvious ILE/ENTP, and I noticed a strange chemistry.

So I continued reading...

But it was a long process. Around 2011 I had collected enough experiences from dating that I knew that it worked.

MyersBriggs had gotten me into typology in 2007, and it took me awhile to understand that there was no reason to hold on to it anymore.

Typing myself was easy. I had been considering myself ISFP in MyerBriggs. And with socioincs everyting pointed at SEI, best friend being an obvious LII, and lots of other things.
    Last edited by Tallmo; 08-29-2017 at 05:56 AM.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

A few add-ons:

When I discovered the simple MBTI dichotomies, I was immediately certain of being I-N-F.
    I got INFJ on tests (like many people do), and then I happened to come across DJArendee's video on "INFJ Imposters" and how there are many INFPs who are "fake INFJs", and that made me worry I could unknowingly be one of those "impostors".

I had an issue with the J vs P dichotomy. I couldn't decide which of the two was actually more "me".

My little "typing crisis" could only be resolved when I discovered the functions. It was self-evident to me that I was Ni and Fe ego, and not Fi and Ne ego.
    That settled INFJ for me. Because INFJ was Ni-Fe ego in MBTI, that must be my type, so I thought. Even though I might not entirely relate to the J, I'll keep calling myself INFJ because of Ni-Fe. If I hadn't discovered the functions, I might have went with INFP or INFx or just given up on the theory altogether and never looked back. But luckily (or unfortunately? ) I did find out about the functions.

And even though I was certain of being Ni and Fe ego, reading Fi descriptions made me realize that I was rather good at Fi, too. The MBTI theory couldn't account for that. It was satisfying to see that in Socionics, IEI has both strong Ni (and Fe), as well as Fi, because that confirms my own impression. Also, it was satisfying to see that Ni-Fe with Ne-Fi is not actually a good romantic match as I had suspected and experienced myself; a match that would be recommended in MBTI, but not at all so in Socionics.
    New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Someone died, a month later someone else died. I became obsessed with talking to second person since we made a pact that whoever died first would let the other know what it was like. I was spending hours a day talking to him and he did answer back. They were both way too young to die and the deaths were senseless, in both cases. Totally preventable and I felt I personally could have prevented both if I had chosen to say the things I kept to myself. I felt guilt but did not know that was driving me at the time. I do not usually feel a lot of guilt so this was pretty huge for me

So, like three months later, December 2013, I was googling some metaphysical term (possibly a phrase) and this was the first result. Out of character, for me, I joined immediately and started posting. I usually observe a long time before making myself known but I felt not only compelled to join but to interact. I was probably a bit insane at the time since I was still grieving. This distracted me from my obsession with talking to the dead long enough to regain my sanity.

I found it interesting enough that I actually started reading more about it. At first it was more of a distraction than anything but while reading about different types I was able to understand those two people better. It gave me a framework to understand our interactions. I would never let socionics dictate who I interact with, let alone who I love, but it has been a useful tool. I also met some really interesting people here.

"To Jung, synchronicity is a meaningful coincidence in time, a psychic factor which is independent of space and time. This revolutionary concept of synchronicity both challenges and complements the physicist's classical view of causality. It also forces a basic reconsideration of the meaning of chance, probability, coincidence and the singular events in our lives."

The forum was like a beacon of light at the time. Some were a match for my frequency, others not so much.

I already knew about MBTI and enneagram for many years so the socionics concept was not foreign to me when I joined.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking back over it, and the newest people have no idea how lucky they are to have so much information translated into readable English. @silke deserves a huge thank-you for the amount of work she's done translating so many of the articles you can find on this site. When I first was reading socionics information, there was almost no information except whatever you could find in Russian and use translating programs to try to decipher, and even those translators have come a long way since then. It was such a huge jumbled mess. . .

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think winter 2013-2014 i wanted to know who i was, so i stumbled upon mbti and took a test, got me INTP. Never really did much else with it until winter 2016, when my interest in the types grew much larger and more intense. Soon i pretty much knew it all and stumbled upon socionics. That was about february 2017. I joined the forums in june 2017, confused because the tests always gave me lii, but it didnt quite fit me and i got along too well with a see to be my conflictor, which promped me to create my typing thread here to be sure once and for all

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I looked at MBTI. Didn't make a sense. It is incredibly roundabout system. Well, it says people think differently and I suppose it works driving the point home if the group is diverse enough.

I discovered socionics and mapped myself against intertype stuff including descriptions. 2014 or something.
    I'm irrational subtype of irrational type. That alone says: weirdo.
    Overall awkward kind of expressive and occasionally entertaining nerd who looks out of place and is retarded at sensing.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    TIM
    RLOAI, maybe
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I think it was in a magazine stashed under my parents' bed.

Will we start over, or circle the drain crazymaisy's Avatar
    TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I joined this forum on 3-22-2006, so that's about the time I first read about Socionics.

I've always been interested in Personality things, MBTI was only the latest I'd been doing stuff with online in 2006. I never liked their functions, it made little sense. Looking for something more I found Socionics and this forum was THE place for English speakers/readers/writers. So little was available translated then compared to more recent years. By September I'd figured out that my hubby was SEE and my DUAL and what that meant was very real, our experience was exactly that, and seeing it on paper made it mean even more for me.
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)
    I think in pictures, moving pictures...

Recommended Music - ILI-Ni

"And one peculiar point I see,
    As one of the many ones of me.
    As truth is gathered, I rearrange,
    Inside out, outside in, inside out, outside in,
    Perpetual change"

Yes - The Yes Album - from "Perpetual Change" (written by Howe and Squire)

Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    TIM
    RLOAI, maybe
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

In the years leading up to 2005, I thought there must be some meaningful system of describing personality and its effect on living. MBTI ultimately seemed unsatisfactory because it defined personality in terms of binary opposites that seemed like truisms, and because it seemed to treat people like human doings rather human beings.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2004. early 2000s i was going through some stuff after quitting a job to cut off the money supply for meth in my life, but just ended up bumming and cooking with some friends to do as much as ever and getting deeper into weirdness in my head over a best friend i had been spun on for years. we were taught keirsley and mbti to better manage people at that job (i always tested as NT, INTJ/P back then) but i got into it more as an obsession when i started combining this with nlp mind hacking and various forms of psychology while developing my own model of the mind (in order to sort myself out) when i stumbled into the socionics model on socionics.com and whatever the lytovs site was which led to here. Socionics had the stronger model to me than straight jung or mbti, stronger more scientific seeming elements based on aspects of information tied to the functions instead of just leaving it at nebulous black boxes. I lurked and posted as an anon for some months (which you could do in the early days of this forum) but finally made an account to actually talk about it as a defined person. I was more drawn to the cybernetics side at that point and would go off on obsessive days long software translation jaunts through the russian socionics sites and found it very intriguing the idea that socionics could model and predict interactions and information flow between macro-types of nations and groups of people through history and current events. i spent some time training and perfecting some high-end pirated translation software during that time with the intent of bringing those articles to the forum but rick showed up and having a real translator seemed to make that moot (although he was very helpful to me through pm with narrowing down the nuances of translating certain terms that were used and didn't feel right as the software was translating them). i spun out hard on bukalov articles in my meth daze and started to see him/his group as people who were attempting to use this all to shape world events into some sort of new society. there was a trippy russian page i found with horrible acid green text on a black background that listed socionics terms along with other stuff that in my daze i was sure was the term sheet/key that some secret russian organization was using to do information attacks on the west while boosting their society into some new technogical age. i went deep into paranoia over it all (helped by being awake for constant 5-6 days stretches tweaking) and remember laying there getting brain zaps from it all while tossing and turning trying to get to sleep for at least a day at the end of it.

i pulled back a lot after that and just started using the forum for interaction/fun with the friends i had made here, that was maybe late 2000s by that point? personality theory has drifted into the back of my mind since then, just coming out occasionally as an interesting way to consider people sometimes. honestly going too deep into it now still has that taint of obsessive meth use to it for me so i just roll my eyes and avoid the discussion of it here and any bullshit i see others getting themselves into with it.
    Last edited by bgbg; 08-31-2017 at 01:46 AM.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by idontgiveaf View Post
    I've learned it January 2017.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    March 2016. I think I followed the SX trail after reading about duality first. WSS played a role there I remember.
    isn't it too precise to remember even the month?
    I see @idontgiveaf joined at January so this explains it, but @Chae joined on July so what made you remember you learned about in March ?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    Someone died, a month later someone else died.
    I wander if you will ever write a story about a baby being born

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I learned about the existence of socionics first time in my last year in high school (2008) while reading about MBTI but it was only in English and since you can count the English words I knew at that time on your fingers I had to forget about socionics and focused on MBTI which have little resources translated to my language then I came back to socionics about 2012-2013

why did I read about it? well I thought I could figure out what I want to do with my life if I knew myself better & not to mention the idea of duality is pretty attractive

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Simo View Post
    isn't it too precise to remember even the month?
    I see @idontgiveaf joined at January so this explains it, but @Chae joined on July so what made you remember you learned about in March ?
    I simply browsed my back-then chaotic psychology blog (abandoned by now) archive to trace the first time I posted/documented something about socionics. *snob voice* Given my extroverted compulsion of manifesting my brain's output and my interests without delay I can be sure it was precisely March 6th that I first learned about it actively.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I simply browsed my back-then chaotic psychology blog (abandoned by now) archive to trace the first time I posted/documented something about socionics. *snob voice* Given my extroverted compulsion of manifesting my brain's output and my interests without delay I can be sure it was precisely March 6th that I first learned about it actively.
    I have the exact opposite compulsion of NOT manifesting my brain's output & interests

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't remember you posting on WSS, were you just lurking?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my senior year of high school we were all going to take an MBTI test. I heard about it beforehand and went and took the tests myself online out of curiosity. Read a bunch of descriptions, tried to type all my family and classmates. I don't remember where exactly I first heard about socionics, but after several months and some Google searches, I found socionics.com, then socionics.us, then the16types, got to know Rick, went to a meetup in New York, contributed to the birth/writing of wikisocion, etc.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I discovered Socionics sometime in 2013. My marriage was not what it once was and I was searching for an explanation of what went wrong so I could improve things. I already knew about MBTI, but it said nothing about inter-type relationships. I read books on how to improve your marriage, went to counsellors, and watched a lot of Youtube videos on what makes a long term successful marriage. I was so desperate for a better understanding that I even looked into our Astrological signs. (Which said, Are you considering a match between Capricorn and Aries? Don’t do it! Which I thought was rather belated advice.)

At the same time, I was buying art out of a need to humanize myself, and that year, I met an IEI artist and took her to lunch to talk about prices and she asked me what my deal was, because, she said, I was wearing a wedding ring but I didn’t act married. I told her I certainly was married, but my wife had moved out and I was trying to get her back. She then asked me a question which I really hadn’t considered before. She said, “Do you want her back?”
    And I was stunned. I had never even considered that as a possibility. And then I realized that our last few years together had not been great, and that I actually didn’t want her back. And at that moment, I fixated on this beautiful, ethereal, wise creature across the table from me.

I wanted to know her better. I figured that she was an MBTI INFJ, and I started reading more about the inner lives of INFJ’s. (There was a lot of material. IEI’s are incessant web writers.) I have an IEI cousin, but we just get along naturally because we’ve been very close since birth and I’ve never wondered about her inner life.

I read everything I could find about INFJ’s for months while seeing the IEI (platonically) and somehow ran across Stratiyevskaya’s analysis of ENTj’s with INFj’s (I didn’t yet understand the meaning of the lower case notation), and Strat’s semi-duality description sounded pretty good to me, so I proceeded to chase the IEI based on that description. Lol. That did not work out. What did work out was I got divorced and met a woman who worked for the IEI, and she and I got along so well that it was almost unimaginable. At first, I thought that woman was an EII, but it turned out she was an ESI. She was the first ESI that I actually recognized in real life, and I liked her long before I knew her type. Too bad I was old enough to be her father, because she felt the compatibility, too.

Gradually, since then, I’ve learned more about Socionics, mostly from articles and discussions on the16types. I’ve been testing the theory almost daily, and its descriptions of inter-type relationships seem spot-on to me.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 08-31-2017 at 03:16 AM.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something was wrong with my daughter, and I didn't know what, so I was struggling trying to find possible solutions/help for her. My IEI friend had introduced me to keirsey, but that didn't really help me figure out how to help her. So I roamed the internet obsessively. In 2004 or so I had come across Socionics, but dismissed it quickly as probably being useless like keirsey had been. Then in 2005 that IEI friend starts talking to me about a forum he was on, about how he was struggling to be understood, as well as to understand the theory itself. He takes a behaviorist approach and was trying to interpret Socionics from that perspective, but noone could really grasp what he was talking about. Since we tended to edit each other's papers, I offered to hop on the forum and see if I could help mediate. In trying to help mediate his ideas and Socionics, I started becoming interested in it, and then started seeing some potential for it to help me help my daughter, but it was too...new agey...like astrology readings...Barnum Effect or whatever it's called. Like people had been given examples of what something means, but then needed examples of those examples, and then took those examples of examples as THE definition. It was driving me nuts, and absolutely useless to me that way. So I delved deeper into the theory, trying to find the underlying aspects, since in understanding those basics, everything else would be able to built off of them. It wasn't easy. There was a lot of push-back. I couldn't get anyone to discuss the ideas with me, so I had to pretty much do it on my own (and with poor translations). Ti polr trying to mine out a Ti system, happy happy joy joy! Thankfully I came across that green page that I think @bgdjf mentioned (I think it's the same page, the description fits.) Meanwhile, the fundamental aspects were giving me ideas on some ways to understand as well as help my daughter, and how to better homeschool her.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@anndelise two questions: what type is your daughter, and who was that IEI? (You can PM if you don't want to mention it here)

I'm also interested in seeing this green page if anyone can find it

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@anndelise @thehotelambush

I'm about to take a walk and not finding my russian "green page" easily enough to give a link to the original, but i did machine translate it a few years ago and save that to my google drive to show ashton when we were having a discussion about something, if you'd like to compare/confirm.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgdjf View Post
    @anndelise @thehotelambush

I'm about to take a walk and not finding my russian "green page" easily enough to give a link to the original, but i did machine translate it a few years ago and save that to my google drive to show ashton when we were having a discussion about something, if you'd like to compare/confirm.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

nope, my green page isn't your green page, heh. Thanks for allowing to confirm.

---
    @thehotelambush
    My friend always insisted on keeping our names separate in the forum, to reduce biases and such. He's a very private person and even deleted all/most his posts before he left.

My daughter is SEE, as typed by both my friend and I separately, though we did discuss it after we each had typed her. But she also fell along the autism spectrum, in that her brain development had been negatively affected the first 5 months in my womb due to psychiatric meds I was taking before I knew I was pregnant. No one considered autism when she was younger, though, because she was very outgoing and friendly (yet very socially frustrated!!!). (I'm not saying she's autistic, only that many of her symptoms and reactions to certain stimuli fell on the spectrum and thus could have provided helpful ideas for how to deal with it all. And she hated(!) Ne's possibilities, options, differing povs, with a passion for most of her younger years. I think it literally hurt her brain.) On the forum is a video of her as I asked her questions some forum members posed us.

edited to add to thehotelambush: A few years ago I tried finding my green page again, but couldn't, the links no longer worked. And the snapshots I had of it are on another diseased pc.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    Thinking back over it, and the newest people have no idea how lucky they are to have so much information translated into readable English. @silke deserves a huge thank-you for the amount of work she's done translating so many of the articles you can find on this site. When I first was reading socionics information, there was almost no information except whatever you could find in Russian and use translating programs to try to decipher, and even those translators have come a long way since then. It was such a huge jumbled mess. . .
    there was something special about that time too though, like there was this sense of treasure hunting some sort of esoteric knowledge out of the russian side of the internet to share and interpret between us (along with bumping into alien concepts of science and thought developed behind the iron curtain). things started to get kind of boring (and tense) imo once the western side of socionics solidified its own understanding of "classical socionics" and some members took on the roles of socionics "gurus" on the forum.
    Last edited by bgbg; 08-31-2017 at 04:39 AM.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgdjf View Post
    there was something special about that time too though, like there was this sense of treasure hunting some sort of esoteric knowledge out of the russian side of the internet to share and interpret between us (along with bumping into alien concepts of science and thought developed behind the iron curtain). things started to get kind of boring (and tense) imo once the western side of socionics solidified it's own understanding of "classical socionics" and some members took on the roles of socionics "gurus" on the forum.
    I agree. Back then it was like we were all discovering things together. We'd get this crazy mess and we'd all start trying to interpret and discuss it until a clear picture started forming. It was fun, especially around the time when the forum found information on the aspects, anndelise was making models of everything, and others of us were trying to define things as precisely as we could to make sense of them. There was a lot more sharing and discovery and dechiphering. I miss that.

TIM
    INTj-Ti
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was aware of the existence of a russian offshoot of mbti for a few years. I looked into it once, but when I read my duals were ESFJs, the punching bag of the mbti community, I laughed it off thinking the commies had no idea what they were talking about. I didn't give it another chance until the end of last year.
    SP/SX
    5w4

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is an interesting thread.

I discovered it listening to various MBTI YouTubers talk about it. I searched it out of curiosity and initially didn't like it because it was very different from what I was used to.

The more I learned about it the more I preferred it over MBTI.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a Lithuanian friend/penpal that MBTI typed anime characters on some anime reviews site; he walked me through the learning process(thanks friend), then I joined INTJ forum, where I came to the conclusion that MBTI was not a good theory. The potential was there, but it just wasn't it. I already knew about socionics due to Ganin's site, and its practice of VI (that my friend who was LSI-Ti or ILE-Ti didn't like), so I decided to give it a go. Like olympia, the idea that human relation followed a pattern and they can be predicted, didn't seem easy to accept at first, but when you observe the intertype-relations in action, you become a Socionics believer for life.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Through the articles on this site. They used to have lots more than they have now, including stuff about MBTI and cognitive functions in general. I can't remember the exact year, probably like 2012 or 2013 or something.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

In 2007 when I joined this site... I found it via mbti. I typed EII as first. Probably started learning about it March or April that year before I officially joined.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I registered a long time ago when I was a teenager but never posted once (or spent much time on this forum) until many years later. I'd been interested in MBTI at the time, felt it was kind of shit and wanted to learn more about Socionics, but then IRL stuff happened and I dropped typology for a while. I then came back to it two years ago or so (I think? Can't be bothered to check). I'd forgotten I'd registered here, and only realized I was because my email was already taken at registration. I thought I was EII at the time, partly because of the INTx crowd on Reddit really irritated me, partly because I felt typing as an NT was essentially just one's narcissism saying "I'm smart" and for various reasons I hate making pretensions (though I won't say I don't sometimes regardless); partly also because I have strong moral convictions and I try to direct all my activity by them. Adam Strange typed me correctly (so did a few other people IIRC, but I mention him since he was the one who convinced me), and I came around to his typing after noticing that I wasn't really similar to other EII.

I also tried to type myself IEE for a while since I knew I valued Ne, but was beginning to realize my Fi probably wasn't so great, and I imagined IEEs to be a sort of ideal vision for me: confident, creative, yet open, friendly, and tolerant. I was (and still am) young, and my conception of myself wasn't very good -- I had a lot of problems from how I grew up, and I was trying to sort through them. I think IEEs' 4d Fe is what mostly spoke to me: I really valued that sort of open attitude, and wanted it to be me; I thought the only reason I didn't act that way was due to my upbringing, but that was "naturally" who I was, so to speak.

Another reason, come to think of it, that I didn't like the typing of LII was that I didn't think I could value Fe. Both my parents were Fe-valuers -- ESE and SLE -- and I felt they used Fe to ignore the issues within my family. It disturbed me in a deep way -- I wonder if it being my suggestive is why it affected me so much, actually -- and I felt as a kid that it was driving me crazy and leading me to question reality when they would jokingly pretend nothing was wrong or had been. I felt like Fi types were resistant to that kind of shit -- other Fe-valuing types seemed especially prone to accepting my parents as their friends and good people. My sister, an SEE, was one of the only other people who seemed able to see through this kind of thing, and it felt like other Fi-valuers were the only other people who seemed hesitant about my parents or who I could talk to about this or trust (in retrospect, I can remember an EIE and an LII who expressed distaste for them, but it didn't register at the time, and other EIE and LII did accept them anyway). It took me a long time to be able to accept that I instinctively valued Fe; thinking about my girlfriend at the time, who was SEI, helped with that.
    Last edited by FreelancePoliceman; 08-25-2021 at 03:43 AM.

TIM
    SEI 9w1
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found out about socionics earlier this year, a little before I actually joined. I was just looking for typology forums online (mbti and enneagram) and info then I came across this one.
    I kinda wasn't that much interested until I found my type. And also it was new to me so that made it more interesting.
    Chronic "grass is always greener" syndrome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast