Thread: ENNEAGRAM WING VS TRITYPE INFLUENCE

TIM
    EII 4w3 Sx/sp
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ENNEAGRAM WING VS TRITYPE INFLUENCE

Which is of greater influence to a person's personality or traits, their primary enneatype wing or their tritype (fixes)? Post any possible links too.

C-EII-INFj 4w3 Sx/sp 479

TIM
    Sx/Sp 2w3
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably wing because a wing is usually heavy enough for the person to be mistaken for their wing's type on the outside. Tritype is something that becomes more apparent after really talking to someone but wing should be easy to see from the start.
    ・゚*✧ 𝓘 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒶𝒸𝒸𝑒𝓅𝓉 𝒶 𝓁𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝓘 𝒹𝑜 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒹𝑒𝓈𝑒𝓇𝓋𝑒 ✧*:・゚

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I was trying to understand someone in depth, I'd rather consider either their tritype, or which neurosis shows up in each instinct. I don't know what to call the latter...maybe instinct type? For example, when dealing with matters of self preservation, which e-type(s) might fit? What about when dealing with matters of social status/cohesion? Etc. Their instinct stacking would also be important, imo. But then, I don't particularly agree with some aspects of enneagram even though I find it more useful than socionics.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

How I see it is each type with a wing have a certain energy/style, so thats one way to tell them apart. But which one has more influence, hmm, I would say fix. Because I have a 3-wing, but I do not at all see 3 in itself being who I am. 3 wants to fit in, be wanted by a majority (but still stand out in a good/accepted way) and its like a whole different thing to me. Its way more 'normal' and polished, attractive. I do want to be attractive, but certainly not want to be just another fish in the sea, even if I am the ugliest one. I do not care about being attractive to any other than the people that i am attracted to and find interesting, and those people are few. I dont care at all if i turn all people off, if the people that I like, gets turned on by me.
    I can see my 6 fix much clearer. It's a complete type inside me (but more faded or far away than my core type), while the 3-wing is only a fraction of that type.
    Last edited by maniac; 07-11-2017 at 08:47 PM.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wing.

Tritype shows what parts of the centers you use in certain situations, the main type being the first response. And with the main type, there comes the wing already, long before the other two fixes.

The CEO's right-hand man is more important than the staff.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Lessons View Post
    Probably wing because a wing is usually heavy enough for the person to be mistaken for their wing's type on the outside. Tritype is something that becomes more apparent after really talking to someone but wing should be easy to see from the start.
    Precisely

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

I have never mistaken anyone for their wing, but I have mistaken people for their 2nd fixes in the past.

I sacrificed a goat to Zeus and I liked it
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    I have never mistaken anyone for their wing, but I have mistaken people for their 2nd fixes in the past.
    You've mistaken everyone for everything. You just type people according to what you'd like them to be without any regard for what they actually say or do whatsoever (with the exception of using a lot of/big words, commas, or exclamation points). Enneagram isn't even "really" real, but the reason you see your 6 more than your 3 is because you're more 6 than 4 to begin with behavior-wise. 4-ish motivations and behaviors don't describe someone who is trying to fit themselves and everyone else into categories, to say the least. Enneagram's a good way to wrench information out of people though, like the "So-last has no social skills" thing you always say. So-last is just not supposed to have social things as much of a priority, and if you actually can't but would like to, then I have news for you... And if "So-last" wasn't such a profound, spiritual thing, would you go around bragging about your inability to understand social situations? I don't think so. That's how real magic works

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
    You've mistaken everyone for everything. You just type people according to what you'd like them to be without any regard for what they actually say or do whatsoever (with the exception of using a lot of/big words, commas, or exclamation points). Enneagram isn't even "really" real, but the reason you see your 6 more than your 3 is because you're more 6 than 4 to begin with behavior-wise. 4-ish motivations and behaviors don't describe someone who is trying to fit themselves and everyone else into categories, to say the least. Enneagram's a good way to wrench information out of people though, like the "So-last has no social skills" thing you always say. So-last is just not supposed to have social things as much of a priority, and if you actually can't but would like to, then I have news for you... And if "So-last" wasn't such a profound, spiritual thing, would you go around bragging about your inability to understand social situations? I don't think so. That's how real magic works
    Now the truth is out there ^^^^

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Now the truth is out there ^^^^
    I hope I understood it correctly but: I see enneagram and instincts as a way to describe certain 'neurotic' tendencies within people, which already existed before. Basically people found a way to assign certain types to people who behave in the same way. This is one way to describe certain differences within the same sociotype for example. Sociotype also puts certain people with the same information process into one box: IEE, SLE, ILI etc.

Oh I think I quoted the wrong person, I meant to quote Wyrd and ask for clarification of that statement, if that is what Wyrd wanted to say.

TIM
    EII 4w3 Sx/sp
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about Enneatype Vs Instinctual type VS Sociotype? This would be interesting to argue about @Chae @MaviTilki @Wyrd @maniac @anndelise @Daddy Lessons

C-EII-INFj 4w3 Sx/sp 479

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Good idea. The question was what influences personality traits the most, so if you got these three pitted against each other it depends on how you want "trait" to be defined.

Communicative traits like a "knack": sociotype dominates.
    Motivation-based traits, like a "schtick": enneagram wins.
    Life preferences: instincts prevail.

If I had to pick between these three, I would choose instincts since they are more broad, essential in the literal sense of the word, just all-encompassing or overarching if you will. Only three (!) large buckets you can fit a lot into. That's just my inclination.

I sacrificed a goat to Zeus and I liked it
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MaviTilki View Post
    I hope I understood it correctly but: I see enneagram and instincts as a way to describe certain 'neurotic' tendencies within people, which already existed before. Basically people found a way to assign certain types to people who behave in the same way. This is one way to describe certain differences within the same sociotype for example. Sociotype also puts certain people with the same information process into one box: IEE, SLE, ILI etc.

Oh I think I quoted the wrong person, I meant to quote Wyrd and ask for clarification of that statement, if that is what Wyrd wanted to say.
    Enneagram does work well for that, but that's not how it's used around here at all really. If it were used for that, the 10 Neurotic Needs would've been posted sooner and cross-referenced to it as well as the rest of enneagram's origins and inspirations, rather than certain members just claiming that people don't know themselves at all and basically trying to gaslight them over and over to make them act in a less dominant, threatening, and/or high-status way. And "it works well" and "it's absolutely true like some sort of religious dogma" are not the same (see: Newtonian mechanics, for one example). The typology-based power struggles ruin any attempt to use the systems constructively too for obvious reasons. If you give into a typing, or argue against a typing due to a perception of it as obviously inferior, you're going to act based on wrong information. Imagine Adam Strange acting on maniac's typing of him as 9w1, for one thing.

Socionics barely applies to anyone since it's supposed to fit people into some grand social economic scheme, but mostly people just ramble about people's food preferences, manner of dress, and things like that instead due to Filatova's tabloids. At this point I'd put people claiming to be a "type" with people claiming to have a certain voice type in music: you don't get that unless you've been in the system and have some sort of accomplishment based on it.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Shaebette To me personally actually socionics has been proven to be the most truthful in real life. In my opinion and from my experience: the types exist. And VIing is real, too. I came across so many people of the same type who behaved just so similarly, had similar expressions and there even were look-alikes. This also described quite a few patterns that showed within my personal relationships and what kind of jobs people wanna do. I've gotten much better at VIing in real life, but I still make mistakes and hope to learn from even better typers.

I am rather new to enneagram and instinct (but more into instincts since it seems more 'scientific' with its basic instinct approach), but I use these to determine some kind of subtype/flavours of the same sociotype. Like when I want to figure someone out specifically. This is simply my method though, but I go from the (in my opinion) biggest category to the smallest detail.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lifestyle Orientation: instincts
    Motivations and Neurosis...the kinds of concerns, worries, fears, sense of successes/failures, etc that they wrestle with day-to-day: e-type(s)
    Types of information they prefer, respond best to, or avoid/devalue: sociotype.

Which has the greater influence? Their neurosis...e-type(s). It will have a greater influence as it represents obstacles and difficulties they're trying to overcome/bypass. Sociotype tells which type of info they seek/avoid/express, but not what they're trying to DO with that info, HOW they will use it, WHY they want it. E-type covers all that.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp